• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worst timeshare resort you've stayed in?

rpennisi

Reaction score
Silverado II, Colorado

The following is my review on another site...by far the worst we have experienced:

Sep 16, 2007, 9:06 PM
Silverado II, the good the bad and the ugly. We just returned from Silverado II, located in Winter Park, Colorado. The unit we swapped through RCI was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with a fully equipped kitchen and living room with a table for 6, and an island counter with 2 stools.

The good is that the complex has wifi internet service, which helped us keep up with email to family and friends. Nothing like coming home to an email account loaded with a couple of hundred messages. Since there were only the 2 of us, we each had a bathroom, clean with plenty of towels and toiletries. The location of the complex is about a quarter mile from the main street, where there were a number of decent restaurants for dinner. Nothing is close in Colorado, especially in the mountains. But in 40 minutes, we could travel to Grand Lake and Rocky Mountain National Park. In the other direction, over the pass, we could travel to the ski resort towns of Keystone, Breckenridge and Vail.

The bad was the condition of the unit’s rugs. They were dirty and heavily stained, in need of a deep cleaning, better yet replacement, as they and the bedding were very old and nasty. Speaking of nasty, when we went to bed the first night, we found hairs, not ours, on the sheets, a gross out to be sure. The whole decor is very 70’s, dark stained pine moldings, doors and cabinets. Sleeping late would be a problem, as the vertical blinds were not room darkening, and no blackout curtains like you find in most hotels and condos.

The ugly was the condition of the common areas. The roofs were leaking badly from a heavy rain(s) when we got there, and there were buckets and pails all over, catching dripping water. The whole week, workers were just outside our windows and patio doors redoing the roofing. We had the blinds shut the whole week.But at least that should be corrected soon. In the middle of the night, we felt like we were in the movie, My Cousin Vinny, when train whistles would blare, and right outside the complex, these long coal freight trains would come barreling through on their way up the grade through the tunnel that crosses the continental divide. The trains had locomotives in the front, middle and back, and also came through during the day, pretty cool, but not at 2 AM.

All in all, Silverado II, good location, but some serious shortcomings, as compared to our 20 years of timesharing experience.

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the middle of the night, we felt like we were in the movie, My Cousin Vinny, when train whistles would blare, and right outside the complex, these long coal freight trains would come barreling through on their way up the grade through the tunnel that crosses the continental divide. The trains had locomotives in the front, middle and back, and also came through during the day, pretty cool, but not at 2 AM.
This is a problem Winter Park has wanted to do something about for a while. In 1996, Union Pacific bought Southern Pacific and closed the alternate route through the Royal Gorge. At that time, they moved all the traffic over to the Moffit Tunnel route through Winter Park, making an existing problem even worse. Best bet is to consider that the railroad is a part of history, making Winter Park much more accessible, and partial responsible for the existence in the first place. Every time that whistle blows, you are reliving history. :)

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
MOC Unexpected Charges

Hoc,

I agree that the beds at MOC are inferior to most of the Marriotts I have stayed at. However, I was not charged for anything I didn't expect to be charged for. What were the unexpected charges you encountered?

Bee

M

medwinbird

Last summer we went to the station, it's just good, but I think it's even worse than the experience of the resort. I am a type of network hard working man, always requires an Internet connection to surf, but the Internet is about $ 9.95 a day per computer, and that is expensive to me. And even a small problem. We decided to stay here ever again. The staff is friendly and helpful! We exchanged through II-Gold Resort and got this! We weer very disappointed.

lenina

Reaction score
Hyatt Pinon

Thanks for your review. I have been dreaming for long time with that resort. Which one would you recommend in Sedona?

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your review. I have been dreaming for long time with that resort. Which one would you recommend in Sedona?

Wrong posting here. Post this in the region Arizona.

Skicop

TUG Member
Reaction score
worst

the worst by far was an extra vaction i purchased at La Costa beach resort in pompano beach florida. i got to the place checked in and Just wanted to cry.
UGH

DavidnJudy

Reaction score
Luckily TUG has saved me from going to any Nasty places - Thank you TUG :)

I would have to say the worst we stayed at was ... hmmmm ... maybe Bryan's Spanish cove, but we got that with a bonus week a long long time ago, and we were actually really impressed with the room being big (we were new to TS), it was the grounds that were very so-so. Looking back now at all the other stays we had in Orlando (Vistana, Cypress P., etc..) it was probably not the best TS in Orlando. But we liked it as a home base. Man wish I had a real dump to add to the list - but I don't.

I can't think of one we did not like.

Thank you TUG for saving us from dumps!

I need to edit this ... Bryan's Spanish code is not the worst - it was WESTGATE in Orlando. They put us in a unit that had no AC. Told us 3 days in a row they would fix it. Never did, finally moved us and had the nerve to keep asking us to go on a tour incessantly. The room would have been nice had it had A/C. Stay away from Westgate.

Last edited:

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We visit so many timeshare resorts that we do have experienced some bad ones. The Kona Billfisher was definitely one of the worst (old, dated, small, noisy, expensive - lots of fees for nothing, no cleaning, and the worst service and reception one can imagine) and another bad one was Salamander in Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa (bad airco, full of ants, in a back street with a view of parked cars, no beach view).

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Beach Club 1 in Fort Myers Beach, Florida

Beach Club 1 - believe or not it ties with WESTGATE !!! for different reasons, but both rank up as our worst timeshare experiences....Here is the review
I wish somebody had posted this before we went - it is to late to help us - but at least it might help somebody in the future.

The good

The resort is beach front; the management is very concerned and was excellent. The pool is nice with great beach access. The living room/dining room was comfortable with a sofa, 2 chairs, TV with DVD. The sleeper sofa was resort quality that was comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked with all items needed, but think your Mom’s kitchen from 1980 – it really looks like it! The unit was well stocked and was clean upon our arrival. The balcony was nice for breakfast or a cocktail, if you could withstand the noise from the pool. More on this subject later…

The not so good to BAD and UGLY

The bedrooms were similar or worse than a Motel 6. They had old blue indoor/outdoor carpeting, stained curtains, broken safe, marked doors, peeling grey wood panels – yes you read that correctly wood panels – think 1970. The tiles in hallway are cracked, the fridge was rusty, all walls and doors were marked or scuffed. This could be corrected by cleaning or with a little paint. Many items in the unit need replaced or updated, items mismatched – from door handles, sheets, towels and even the towel racks. It just felt like a very cheap hotel room with a nice view. It really did feel like it was built in 1979, if you like retro – this may be the place for you.

They do not provide shampoo, beach towels or even a hair dryer. We did know about this ahead of time, so we did bring towels and hair dryer. They also supply very limited amount of soap, only one bottle of nasty shampoo and very little toilet paper. I do expect toilet paper, even in lower tier timeshares. Most units are occupied by owners, the maintaince fees are very low – so one might assume this is the reason there are not many updates. The living room was updated after a Hurricane – but that was 6 years ago. Many other items are very old, even the kitchen faucet was just left without a top – why replace it – it still works?

There are no planned activities, unless you count drinking huge amounts of beer while sitting in the pool. The only “planned” activity was sitting in the pool, by around 10 AM and lining up beer cans as you drank them. Granted by 4 PM, some folks were gone due to this “planned” activity. If you are renting or trading into the property, be prepared for the possibility of a less then warm welcome from other guests. One family was wonderful and very friendly. Many others made us feel like the unwanted new boyfriend at a family reunion – not very pleasant for your vacation.

One of the long term owners was actually nasty to me because her friend could not trade into this wonderful property using her $30,000 dollar Utah week – not sure why she could not get the trade, was not too hard for us. It appeared they had units for rent, guess her friend with the $30,000 dollar week did not want to fork out the $120.00 per night for a rental. I finally just walked away from the woman because she was so rude.

We would not return and I wish someone had written an unbiased review from an outsiders view. We would not recommend this property even with the beautiful views and wonderful manager.

Last edited:

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clowance Country Club in England

This was supposed to be a gold crown place, but it was filthy! The bathroom floor was sticky, it smelled like smoke, and the kitchen was icky!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lehigh Resort Club, Lehigh Acres Florida

I stayed there in 2003. Old and dirty. Not one bar of soap or shampoo or any cleaning detergent in the kitchen. No paper towel in kitchen. Cheap toilet roll, cheap towels in the bathroom. We stayed away all day and came back to sleep. Did not bother to check out the facility and activities.

We made the mistake of exchanging to this resort when there was Fisherman Wharf's timeshare at Punta Gorda, which we were really there to visit.

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting Thread

Reading through this thread has been an eye opener. I have only been "timesharing" since 2004. I have only exchange to Marriott resorts. No real complaints to this point. BUT if I was forced to choose it would be Marriott Ocean Pointe. With that said I would return in a heart beat. My only complaint was some of the pool furniture and cabana's were worn or broken. Other than that. No complaints.

Some stories of other resorts are quite scary.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
The Atrium In Virginia Beach

Not even close! This is the worst timeshare "resort" we've seen. The unit has a tiny living room in front and a narrow passageway leading back to the bedroom. The narrow passageway was also the kitchen. There was a toaster on top of the refrigerator but literally not enough counter space to put the toaster so we put it on top of a Coleman cooler.

The whole place was like a cave. The windows were sealed shut and had bars across them.

Absolutely the worst.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
the worst by far was an extra vaction i purchased at La Costa beach resort in pompano beach florida. i got to the place checked in and Just wanted to cry.
UGH

I did an II exchange there in Jan 2011. Went down a couple of days early to checkout the resort - left and called II immediately for it being unacceptable. II position was "tough" until I told them I would be happy to call the electrical inspector to have the place shut down for the curcuit panel being rusted out on an inside wall in the middle of the building ... then IT would be II's problem to house me. Got my week back, refunded my exchange fee, and I went home to sleep soundly.

isilwath

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Endless Mountain Resort in PA.

This was years ago (1996), but my husband and I wanted to do a quick, local ski vacation getaway.

At the time, we owned a week in Hawaii and had been given an extra "bonus" week with RCI as a thank you for turning in our week to be rented out.

We used it to book Endless Mountain Resort in PA.

The two weeks before we were to go, the temperatures were unseasonably warm so there was no skiing at the Elk Mountain ski resort. But since it was winter, they'd taken the shoes off the horses so there was no horseback riding. There was no restaurant. There was an indoor pool and hiking in the surrounding woods, but that was about it.

The condos were split-level townhomes with the bedrooms on the lower floor. They were very nice except that the lower floor of our unit felt really strange. It's hard to explain, but I got a terrible creepy feeling when I was down there. It freaked me out so much that we ended up sleeping on the pull-out sofabed on the upper level.

When we mentioned the lack of stuff to do, the manager snidely told us that it was a "very quiet resort." There's "quiet" and then there's dead. This one was dead.

We lasted 4 days then went home. The following year, we traded into Smuggler's Notch and had a wonderful time.

Last edited:

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotel de la Monnaie

Stayed there about 18 yrs ago, in New Orleans, in a unit that was supposed to be for 4 people.
It was an II exchange.
My parents came and stayed with us. The square footage in that unit barely allowed us room to breathe.:eek:
It had 1 bedroom with no space around the bed, no place to hang clothes, no dresser. You had to walk through the bathroom to get into the bedroom! The sleeper sofa was worse than sleeping on the floor.:annoyed:
The crazy thing was when we first got there, they gave us keys to a different unit and that was a bigger/better unit but they came up after we walked into the room and said they made a mistake and had given us the wrong keys and then stuck us in the little 'closet' room. I complained and said we would like to be in a better unit and that the unit we were given was unacceptable. Of course they didn't have any other units available and the place was under construction so we were stuck. :mad:
I told II that they better take that unit out of the available units or let people know if they are exchanging into that unit that it was the size of a glove box so at least you can go in knowing what you will get.

orlando5

TUG Member
Reaction score
In rely to Manley villas sydney as a worst TS
I think you were unlucky with your unit I agree its no where near the standard of the timeshare in USA but sydney is SO SO expensive we have stayed several times, in Manly apartments as my daughter lives in manley in a small flat so no room for us. We had to pay 2500 dollars for a hotel room.
We enjoyed our time there as you say area is lovely.
Its rented out to students so you could have had one of those units you were unlucky.

We live in the Uk and have stayed in resorts (its seems like every where our kids are globe trotters and use our ts to exchange.

I read with interest the lists Vista Vistana was list on the top ten list then voted 6 times as the worst.

One mans meat is another mans poison comes to mind.

In the uk a rental week could cost $1500 for a week and the standard is no where near USA also you stand the chance of being confined to the room as the rain keeps you in all week.

Our last stay was orange lake we loved it yes we could nitpick no view but a row of trees lol

Our favorite by far is star Island we have some lovely photos to keep our memories alive our nitpick over the years the standard has slipped and reps well say no more.

I think you will all agree as TS owners we are so lucky to enjoy on the whole a much much nicer holiday than hotel rooms yes we pay more but then our standards are higher you only get what you pay for.

I have only just found the site Im eager to explore it. I thought I knew all I needed to know about TS but I need advice Ill keep looking through all the valuable advice but I may need help.

JUne

Last edited:

Txvacation

Reaction score
Palace resort timeshare

Can some one who had timeshare with palace resort tell me that when ever I call Palace resort deposit week to RCI I have to pay $450/week for them plus exchange fee from RCI that mean almost $800/week to go for one week vacation. I think I got ripped off from Palace resort because without timeshare probably i can get better deal travel for two people from the website. What should I do.
Can you tell me Is the other timeshare hay to pay that way too?
Thanks for your share

Last edited:

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why this thread is a 'sticky'. These are reviews... And many are obsolete. Resort experiences that occurred 18 years ago hold little credibility. And, many of the resorts cited in this negative thread have gone through a refurb.
At least tug reviews are balanced by current user experience that can mitigate some of the flippant and out dated negativity... This thread offers free reviews with little balance--because of the nature of the post.
I would urge the forum manager to remove this thread from the sticky section and make it a regular thread-- give outdated, free, negative reviews a chance to die, mellow or fade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is a sticky to encourage posters to add to this thread, instead of starting multiple threads on the same topic. If you see a post that you disagree with, you are welcome to respond to it with your own opinion.

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play along. :wave:

Worst one was our recent stay at Silver Lake Resort, in Kissimmee, Fl. Biggest problems were the wet ceilings, wet enough to have water dripping down into our first-floor unit. The water caused big chunks of wet plaster to fall onto a bed. Oh, I can't forget the broken glass bits all over the rug.

The location was wonderful, the resort itself was pleasant and peaceful. Nice pools, helpful people at the check-in desk. They really, really need to come down hard on their housekeeping and maintenance staff, though. We couldn't have been the first ones to notice the watermarks on the ceilings. And it didn't appear that housekeeping did much more than replace linens and towels, and make sure the dishes were clean, for each new check-in.

Last edited:

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a sticky to encourage posters to add to this thread, instead of starting multiple threads on the same topic. If you see a post that you disagree with, you are welcome to respond to it with your own opinion.

People already post this stuff in the regional forums.