• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Earning SPG Starpoints during an SVO stay?

blahblah18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can one earn SPG Starpoints while staying in an SVO property - as a timeshare stay - on incidentals that are charged to the room account, like meals and drinks?

(If I stay at an SVO property booked as a a "hotel" stay - is a paid stay or using SPG points - I'll earn SPG points on any room charges. Does the same hold true when staying as an owner?)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes - you will receive SPs for incidentals - 2x

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Yes. That's why I make it a point to get delirious on Lava Flows each year. Whether I'm delirious from the alcohol or sugar is a point for debate.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
EXCEPT for Harborside, which is neither a Sheraton nor Westin branded property. It's part of SVO but has limited participation in SPG.

Valmiki

Reaction score
It would be great if stays using staroptions can be used for qualifying nights to Platinum in the SPG program. Am I asking too much??

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It would be great if stays using staroptions can be used for qualifying nights to Platinum in the SPG program. Am I asking too much??

Yes, it would because I would be SPG Plat… of course those that spend ~$100K on SVO purchases to get to 5*/PFL wouldn't be too happy…

but we can always dream…
from what I have read on FlyerTalk - SPG Plats can be a real PIA (and seemingly self-privileged}

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Yes we can . Just ask my wife.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
from what I have read on FlyerTalk - SPG Plats can be a real PIA (and seemingly self-privileged}
I'd disagree with this. I was SPG Plat for 8 years. I saw many other Plats during my travel and didn't get the sense they were a PIA.

Like any other group of people, you can always focus on a few bad eggs and try to use them to categorize the entire group.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'd be against it. It dilutes the benefits for those that achieve Plat through the normal channels. I should be close this year, but now I probably jinxed myself. :D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'd disagree with this. I was SPG Plat for 8 years. I saw many other Plats during my travel and didn't get the sense they were a PIA.

Like any other group of people, you can always focus on a few bad eggs and try to use them to categorize the entire group.

-ryan

I was kidding (partially) - you are being overly sensitive - and I am not talking about a few bad eggs.
I was referring to SPG Plat in FlyerTalk. And if you read FT you would know what I mean - very common for SPG Plat members to constantly complain that they didn't get their room upgrades (or some other benefits) - there are threads and threads on this…
do you want references…?

btw - I have seen 1st hand (and often discussed on FT) that Plat members complaining that they did not get SPG Plat benefits when staying at SVO resorts even though SPG Plat benefits do not apply to SVO resorts.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was (partial) kidding - I was referring to SPG Plat in FlyerTalk. And if you read FT you would know what I mean.

No worries -- I'm just extra irritable today. Don't mind me. :D

-ryan

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, it would because I would be SPG Plat… of course those that spend ~$100K on SVO purchases to get to 5*/PFL wouldn't be too happy…

but we can always dream…

FWIW, this benefit is included with Marriott timeshare stays. Starwood should offer it as well, IMO.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
FWIW, this benefit is included with Marriott timeshare stays. Starwood should offer it as well, IMO.

I am aware - and I hope SVO-SPG decides to do the same, but not holding my breath. I probably have 28 days of SVO stays per year on TS weeks alone - not to mention the ~14 days/year using SPG stays. So… if I needed 50 to get to SPG Plat - I could easily squeeze those in.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No worries -- I'm just extra irritable today. Don't mind me. :D

-ryan

Me too ;)

Currently dealing with AA to get flight credits (Biz Class SFO-LHR-BSL-LHR-SFO on BA), but they are requesting boarding passes - guess I should save my BA boarding passes… arg.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

The difference is that Marriott top published tier required 75 nights while SPG top published tier required 50 nights/25 stays. Plus IMHO, Starwood's top tier benefits are better -- Starwood's program offers guaranteed and comped upgrades plus guaranteed late checkout (with limited exceptions). I only was Plat Marriott for 1 year, and found their benefits lacking compared to SPG Plat.

Of course, if I wasn't going to be somewhere in the ballpark of earning Plat this year, maybe I'd feel different. I don't see Starwood offering it, mostly to protect the plats who earn it the hard way.

FWIW, they do provide the stay/night credit if you book a qualifying nightly rate at SVO properties through the hotel website -- there they do get clear benefits by offering a stay/night credit.

-ryan

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The difference is that Marriott top published tier required 75 nights while SPG top published tier required 50 nights/25 stays. Plus IMHO, Starwood's top tier benefits are better -- Starwood's program offers guaranteed and comped upgrades plus guaranteed late checkout (with limited exceptions). I only was Plat Marriott for 1 year, and found their benefits lacking compared to SPG Plat.

Of course, if I wasn't going to be somewhere in the ballpark of earning Plat this year, maybe I'd feel different. I don't see Starwood offering it, mostly to protect the plats who earn it the hard way.

FWIW, they do provide the stay/night credit if you book a qualifying nightly rate at SVO properties through the hotel website -- there they do get clear benefits by offering a stay/night credit.

-ryan

Sorry, thought it obvious we were discussing ownership stays. *Of course* they offer this for paid night stays.

As for comparing the two programs...that's an entirely different conversation. The bottom line is that Marriott offers it and Starwood doesn't.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too ;)

Currently dealing with AA to get flight credits (Biz Class SFO-LHR-BSL-LHR-SFO on BA), but they are requesting boarding passes - guess I should save my BA boarding passes… arg.

That sucks. Sometimes I luck out by calling another Plat agent -- that's a good chunk of EQP flying paid J :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

-ryan

However - My SVO annual MFs are around $10,000 per year (not to mention the $$$ to purchase) - that is comparable to what it costs (or more) to be SPG Plat using hotel stays… (~$200/nite x 50 nites)

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, thought it obvious we were discussing ownership stays. *Of course* they offer this for paid night stays.

As for comparing the two programs...that's an entirely different conversation. The bottom line is that Marriott offers it and Starwood doesn't.

Yes, we were discussing ownership stays. My point was Starwood would offer it if it was in their best interest -- it clearly is not.

And just because Marriott offers it doesn't mean that Starwood should. That's what I thought we were debating here.

-ryan

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That sucks. Sometimes I luck out by calling another Plat agent -- that's a good chunk of EQP flying paid J :)

This is all done via the AA web site (w/ 30 day waiting periods - e.g. they waited 30 days to tell me to send them boarding passes and receipt, and now I need to wait another 30 days).

Is there a number I can call? I haven't found one - I have Platinum status for AA.

These flights were taken on BA, but requesting AA credit since I use AA (for SFO-STT).

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
However - My SVO annual MFs are around $10,000 per year (not to mention the $$$ to purchase) - that is comparable to what it costs (or more) to be SPG Plat using hotel stays… (~$200/nite x 50 nites)

Yes, and you bought anyway without the Plat benefit?

I don't think people will choose to buy weeks for SPG Plat benefits. The marginal benefit of attracting those additional people is outweighed by dilution of the tier if those benefits were offered for non qualifying rate stays.

A good example is AA. Look how many Plats are on the SFO-JFK leg -- 80% of the plane is practically Plat. Hence why (again IMHO) they changed the lifetime Plat qualifying program a few years back.

If you have too many people in the top tier, benefits get diluted and loyal travelers end up defecting else where. It's harder as an owner to defect since you have an underlying unit to sell and you are generally tied to that property for some reason anyway.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all done via the AA web site (w/ 30 day waiting periods - e.g. they waited 30 days to tell me to send them boarding passes and receipt, and now I need to wait another 30 days).

Is there a number I can call? I haven't found one - I have Platinum status for AA.

These flights were taken on BA, but requesting AA credit since I use AA (for SFO-STT).

Sending you a PM with the number.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, we were discussing ownership stays. My point was Starwood would offer it if it was in their best interest -- it clearly is not.

And just because Marriott offers it doesn't mean that Starwood should. That's what I thought we were debating here.

-ryan

...I'm not debating at all. I just agreed with the other poster that it would be nice if Starwood offered this benefit, and then added that Marriott offers credit for timeshare stays and Starwood doesn't. You escalated it from there...but then, you're having an irritable day, right? :D

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I'm not debating at all. I just agreed with the other poster that it would be nice if Starwood offered this benefit, and then added that Marriott offers credit for timeshare stays and Starwood doesn't. You escalated it from there...but then, you're having an irritable day, right? :D

Who's escalating? I'm not.

You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree with it -- isn't that what these threads are for?

Irritable day ... yes, we agree on that :D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes, and you bought anyway without the Plat benefit?

I don't think people will choose to buy weeks for SPG Plat benefits. The marginal benefit of attracting those additional people is outweighed by dilution of the tier if those benefits were offered for non qualifying rate stays.

A good example is AA. Look how many Plats are on the SFO-JFK leg -- 80% of the plane is practically Plat. Hence why (again IMHO) they changed the lifetime Plat qualifying program a few years back.

If you have too many people in the top tier, benefits get diluted and loyal travelers end up defecting else where. It's harder as an owner to defect since you have an underlying unit to sell and you are generally tied to that property for some reason anyway.

-ryan

Regardless, it is similar cash output. But, I agree with Plat dilution - this is common thread on FT. Just another form of devaluation - don't save points is good advice IMO.

I did buy these w/o Plat, (SPG Gold has actually worked for me), but at least bought with forethought, and only WPORV EOY from SVO. And racking up great vacations - which was the objective.

I have more TS weeks than vacation, except this year (+6wk sabbatical). I think the OFD WKORV is the best VOI in SVO, but that comes with a huge premium. Then add the 2 weeks at WSJ, and EOY WPORV - and MFs get huge. Luckily I own 2 WKVs... ;)

BUT... WOULD LOVE if SVO stays counted toward SPG Status (are you listening SVO-SPG? You know they do...). Especially when I can use all of these weeks every year - soon - tick-tick {24th work anniversary tomorrow}
Happy St Patty's Day - enjoy a Guiness! {you too Ken...}
PS - thanks for the number - good to have...

Last edited: