• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to Make Sure I Rescinded Correctly

Johnyblaze146

Reaction score
JohnnyBlaze: No, no one has called since they got the letter. The call I got was due to my calling an hour after I got out of there and leaving a message that I wanted to cancel.

I don't care if they call me or not--I just want them to follow through with the recission. From what I read on here, not regarding this particular company, but others, they usually will not call.

Thanks everyone for the information on this site. I wish I had known about it before attending that presentation as it would have saved me 6 hours wasted talking with them, and a lot of stress, but I'm glad that I found out about it to initiate the recission. I'm going to trust that all is in order as they did receive the letter according to the P.O. tracking, and just wait.

You were smart, you realized you were duped an hour after you left. I waited a couple days trying to rationalize my purchase as a good one, eventually finding TUG and realizing how foolish my decision was.

Johnyblaze146

Reaction score
Just an update, someone from the resort called me but I did not pick up as per you guys' suggestions. They left a voice mail saying that they were just inquiring as to why we changed our mind. Checked my card this morning, so far I have the RCI membership fee refunded back to me. Still waiting on the other part of the money. Is this typical with these type of refunds? I'm just glad that at least the contract was cancelled and I wont be stuck with something I dont want.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update, someone from the resort called me but I did not pick up as per you guys' suggestions. They left a voice mail saying that they were just inquiring as to why we changed our mind.

What they REALLY wanted was to offer you some special enticement to save the sale. They are trained to have a rebuttal to any reason you could name. You did good to just let the call go to voice mail.

The various payments may trickle back to your credit cards, but rest assured that the rescission is proceeding and you can rest easy.

Johnyblaze146

Reaction score
What they REALLY wanted was to offer you some special enticement to save the sale. They are trained to have a rebuttal to any reason you could name. You did good to just let the call go to voice mail.

The various payments may trickle back to your credit cards, but rest assured that the rescission is proceeding and you can rest easy.

I now have peace of mind that the rescind process is proceeding as it should. Now I can readjust my budget, yay!:D

bemsucedida

Reaction score
they started the cancellation process

I received a written letter that they have cancelled my contract. I opened up a line of credit (which they facilitated) to pay the down payment so I imagine it will be credited soon to that and then I will cancel the card. They hadn't charged me yet on the monthly fee on the mortgage so hopefully they can just put a stop on that payment. Finding TUG in time saved me $5500 (had I been able to pay this off immediately) but over $10,000 had I paid back monthly, principal and interest on the mortgage. :banana:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Grats on finding us in time and saving so much money!

heres to hoping you join our group for a long time to make the most out of your new (resale) timeshare!

Johnyblaze146

Reaction score
I received a written letter that they have cancelled my contract. I opened up a line of credit (which they facilitated) to pay the down payment so I imagine it will be credited soon to that and then I will cancel the card. They hadn't charged me yet on the monthly fee on the mortgage so hopefully they can just put a stop on that payment. Finding TUG in time saved me $5500 (had I been able to pay this off immediately) but over $10,000 had I paid back monthly, principal and interest on the mortgage. :banana:

Grats Bem, I already received the refund for the rci membership, just waiting on the refund for the down payment to come through. Havent received a letter yet about the cancellation but they did call and leave a message.

Johnyblaze146

Reaction score
Its official, I got the letter in the mail with my cancellation, thank you Tuggs, you just saved me $17,000 if i paid out my financing in its entirety!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its official, I got the letter in the mail with my cancellation, thank you Tuggs, you just saved me $17,000 if i paid out my financing in its entirety!

OK, now moving right along, if timeshare is still of interest, please consider just renting for this year's vacation. Maybe more. If you were to buy a TS now, you probably wouldn't be using your ownership this year anyway due to the time delay in getting it transferred. Better to rent and buy at leisure. They're more plentiful and cheaper in the Fall anyway after the MF bills come out.

Do some reading. Study the systems to see what might work best for you. Every timeshare doesn't have to be Marriott, or Hilton to be a great place to vacation. A lot of the independents are better located and have great internal exchanges at low cost.

Glad TUG saved you a bundle, now spend the $15/yr to join and help continue TUG's work, and it will return you with great information to help you save even more on your families' memories.

Jim

bemsucedida

Reaction score
Refund was processed nearly 3 weeks ago!

I hadn't been keeping track of my down payment that went on a new credit card for this timeshare that I rescinded. I just checked today and they refunded the down payment on the credit card mid-June, much sooner than I expected. I just cancelled the card! I'm now completely free of that timeshare. :cheer:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

ChrissyC

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just want to say this forum site saved my life, literally! I was weaseled by Westgate this past 4th of July weekend in Las Vegas while on vacation. They never mentioned to me that I had 5 days to cancel my timeshare. In fact, the closing officer said once I sign the dotted line of the deed and contract I was unable to second guess. They hade me in that office for 5 hours swindling me with lower prices after lower prices. To the point I thought it was illegal.

My older cousin who was also on vacation but in Orlando was weaseled byt the same company, Westgate. She told me I could cancel and then that is when I found this site. Thank you so much!

I just wanted to make sure I did everything correct also. I signed the contract on July 5th and I sent my letter out today July 9th, I just got off the plane and ran to the post office. I sent it certified and postmarked. Am I definitely ok because the woman at the post office said they will get my letter on Monday which is 8 days after the 5 days given but I sent off the letter within the 5 days?

Thanks!

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Occidental vacation club

Hi all. I am very new to this website and how to write threads. I noticed everyone giving really good alive so I am lookin for some as well. My husband and I were interested in getting a timeshare. While in Mexico we ended up purchasing an occidental vacation club membership that offered us 42 weeks in 25 years plus 4 bonus weeks at the occidental resorts. We only bought because we were promised that we can sell off a few weeks to help pay for the cost. Needless to say I found this website and on the fifth day we sent our certified letter canceling our contract. On that day we got a phone call from the sales guys asking why we are canceling and again he promised we could sell and even gave us the info of who to use. We called the guy and everything sounded great the guy told us it would be no problem. So we agreed to stay in the contract.
We sent an email saying that we are keeping it. Now it's been 2 months and nothing. I also called the credit card company telling them we were canceling. So now through certified mail we saw that they just received our cancellation letter about 5 days ago. Do you guys think we still have a chance at canceling or Is the email binding. I also just contact the cc again and we are disputing the charge and trying to cancel the contract. What should we do. Thanks in advance

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So now through certified mail we saw that they just received our cancellation letter about 5 days ago. Do you guys think we still have a chance at canceling or Is the email binding. I also just contact the cc again and we are disputing the charge and trying to cancel the contract. What should we do. Thanks in advance
I think you have a chance because your rescission letter was mailed within the time period specified by Mexican law. You may want to contact Profeco for their help. Here's a link to their website.

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Hi Karen,
Thanks for the website. Do you think our email claiming that we are keeping the contract will hold over the written certified letter?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Karen,
Thanks for the website. Do you think our email claiming that we are keeping the contract will hold over the written certified letter?

Obviously, I'm not Karen, but these people are notoriously hard to rescind from, but at least in theory, your certified, signed letter should hold precedence over an email.

I would contact PROFECO, explain the circumstances, and then NOT EVER send Occidental another nickel. If questioned, you rescinded. You have hard copy, and receipt from the post office. You have no clue where this obviously phony email came from. Dispute any credit card payments, showing the CC provider your rescission letter if necessary.

In short, be prepared to play hard ball. They are and will do so with you. It's your money, and they want it.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Karen,

I don't know for sure but if your contract says anything about sending a written letter of rescission, you met that requirement. Usually the contracts mention a written type of rescission instead of an email. It's certainly worth a try.

I do like Jim's advice above!

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm not Karen, but these people are notoriously hard to rescind from, but at least in theory, your certified, signed letter should hold precedence over an email.

I would contact PROFECO, explain the circumstances, and then NOT EVER send Occidental another nickel. If questioned, you rescinded. You have hard copy, and receipt from the post office. You have no clue where this obviously phony email came from. Dispute any credit card payments, showing the CC provider your rescission letter if necessary.

In short, be prepared to play hard ball. They are and will do so with you. It's your money, and they want it.

Jim

I am nervous about not paying. I don't want to damage my credit. We are calling profeco and the resort today to see about the cancellation letter.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am nervous about not paying. I don't want to damage my credit. We are calling profeco and the resort today to see about the cancellation letter.

I don't see how anything of value to you can be accomplished by talking to anyone at the resort. No one there has anything to gain by your rescinding. Remember the last time you talked to them- after sending the required letter, and following the instructions. THEY CHANGED YOUR MIND! Had you not talked to them, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You have the proof that you followed their rescission instructions. Whatever happened after that is like those verbal 'promises' the salesweasel told you. After that rescission letter was postmarked, the sale was over. Done. Rescinded. Never happened.

Jim

akdrc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anything of value to you can be accomplished by talking to anyone at the resort. No one there has anything to gain by your rescinding. Remember the last time you talked to them- after sending the required letter, and following the instructions. THEY CHANGED YOUR MIND! Had you not talked to them, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You have the proof that you followed their rescission instructions. Whatever happened after that is like those verbal 'promises' the salesweasel told you. After that rescission letter was postmarked, the sale was over. Done. Rescinded. Never happened.

Jim

:clap::clap::clap:

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
So it seems we might have gotten our deposit back on the credit card and that we canceled as well. Does anyone know how to find out if our contract is canceled without dealing with the sales people, he is bullying us into thinking since we made our first payment it would be impossible to get out of our contract. But i think we got our money back. Just waiting for the check from the cc company

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should not be talking to the sales agent (as previously advised in this thread) - he has zero control over your rescission, and he is just punishing you for rescinding, and the loss of his commission.

Cut off contact with him - there is zero reason to talk to him.

If you got a refund - you have rescinded. Period.

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Denise how do we find out if the monies were given back to the card by occidental or just the cc company? Sorry for all the questions we just want to do this ourselves. So we just keep calling the main office and will they give us letter saying it's canceled. Also do we contact. The finance company?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise how do we find out if the monies were given back to the card by occidental or just the cc company? Sorry for all the questions we just want to do this ourselves. So we just keep calling the main office and will they give us letter saying it's canceled. Also do we contact. The finance company?

If it has been cancelled - then the whole thing has been cancelled - that's the LAW - they have no choice.

*They have no obligation to give you a cancellation letter - only a refund.

If you have any doubts - ask your credit card company who gave the refund, rather than the timeshare company.

Last edited:

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
So the plot thickens. I called the credit card company and they told me that occidental is who credited our money back. The sales guy is calling us now saying he's got my ss number and he is threatening collections on us. I am not sure if he knows that we got the money back. I guess I am a little skeptical because it seems that everyone has such horror stories. Is it too good to be true that we were refunded so quickly? And if we are refunded why is he calling us saying we owe on the rest of the package. He said the company knows you are not going to be making payments and they will go after you. Does anybody have anymore advice. What is our next step.
Do we call the resort to confirm cancellation? How does profeco get involved?