• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Peppertree Atlantic Beach I bankruptcy

NC Air

Reaction score
I don't see Buildings 15 and 16. Did I miss them somehow ??

I'm not sure which ones are which. I was mostly taking photos of the areas torn down and the buildings closest to the beach. Guess I didn't get any of 15 and 16, but the staff said they are almost done. There isn't really much visible to tell anything is "done" except all that reinforced vertical wood strips near the stairways. I'm not a building 15/16 owner so I hadn't gone out of my way to locate it, and I was pressed for time.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I was there several weeks ago and took pictures of 20-23. I also did not even think about 15 and 16 but as you saw my post just before yours I called the Inspections and Planning Office and got an update.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
How are summer week owners other than 20-23 feeling right now about not being able to use their units this year ? I would be extremely upset with The Board and Festiva. Where are all the owners of summer weeks that cannot use their weeks this year ?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very concerned as to what to do since I have my week listed for rent.

How are summer week owners other than 20-23 feeling right now about not being able to use their units this year ? I would be extremely upset with The Board and Festiva. Where are all the owners of summer weeks that cannot use their weeks this year ?

I have a week 32 in Building 17C, and I have it listed for rent. But should I really be listing it? If someone wants to rent, will the guest be confirmed through the resort? Since the occupancy availability is questionable at this point for this building, will the resort confirm the guest? Will they deny it?

I thank those that have had the opportunity to visit the resort and reported back. I thank those that have posted what they know about the status of things going on at the resort and posting pictures.

I was given the opportunity to bow out since I owned in Phase I, but I chose to take a Phase II unit for the same week for the $100 fee. At this point, it feels like I made the wrong choice.

mrkube

Reaction score
How do I as a Peppertree Atlantic Beach owner of a Festiva managed timeshare resort week feel? CHEATED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I am concerned about my week 35 right now

I am surprised the total process of repairing Buildings in Section 2 has not been completed. I think that Festiva and The Board for Section 2 should be embarrassed for their failure. I would not want to be a Board member from Section 2 or a Festiva employee. I guess most of them are hiding somewhere hoping that everything cools down eventually. In a little over 2 months it will be 1 year since owners were refused use of their weeks. I think that date was close to August 17th of last year. Failure seems to be an acceptable outcome for Festiva and The Board. Just think if there was a Board and a management company that really cared about Festiva timeshare owners. Wouldn't that be a nice feeling ? When summer week owners feel the pain that is serious business. I think the people who did the planning on this project should be fired no matter who they are. I am happy for owners in Buildings 20-23. I am glad somebody is using their units this year. This whole process is very sad to say the least.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately over the years I have been faced with similar situations. My Resorts in Biloxi and Galveston (Chateau LeGrand and Peregrine) were both massively damaged by hurricanes. The difference between these situations and dealing with Festiva can be described by one word, communication.

Although I lost usage in both situations for about a year the HOA kept us informed with constant updates and both resorts were completely rebuilt without Special Assessments. Why the different treatment? I attribute it to both Resorts being managed by Boards elected by the Owners rather than a corporate entity like Festiva.

George

Shelleykc

Reaction score
Peppertree Update

My husband and I SHOULD be vacationing at our unit in building 18 but since there is no apparent work being done on buildings 17 - 19, you know that did not happen. My husband called on Friday to inquire as to its availability for our use beginning that day. Jeri Crane stated, sorry it was not available. We asked could be expect at least a partial refund since we were unable to use the unit and much of the maintenance fees were for housekeeping etc and were told no the "association fee" (her words) was not going to be refunded. My husband told her we had paid maintenance fees and was not familiar with the "association fees" she referred to. Since we live locally, he asked and was denied the week long parking pass that would normally have been issued at check in. We were only allowed a daily beach pass. I guess a $682.67 maintenance fee and a $188.33 assessment won't even entitle you to one of the two parking passes that normally comes with your ownership week. You would think that a minimal amount of customer consideration on Peppertree's part would go a long way considering what they have done to it's Phase I into Phase II as well as all the additional Phase II owners that are being cheated out of their summer beach week vacations.

We did go to Peppertree yesterday, the guard would only give us the one day beach pass and you will love this...with all the available parking inside the resort, especially with the razing of buildings 1 - 14 and the continued shut down of Buildings 17- 19 and 24 & 25 we were told to park in the area by the guard shack designated for one day beach passes.

Having visited yesterday, I can tell you that there is no apparent work that has begun on Buildings 17 - 19. Very disappointing. 10 months into this condemnation and it is not open for owners use.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's appalling what you experienced. They have apparent disdain for owners.

Yes, you would think whatever consideration that they could easily give to the owners that have paid their maintenance fees and have not been permitted to use their weeks would be provided. As you said, I'm sure there's plenty of parking available. I'm so sorry to hear about this treatment, but little surprises me now.

My husband and I SHOULD be vacationing at our unit in building 18 but since there is no apparent work being done on buildings 17 - 19, you know that did not happen. My husband called on Friday to inquire as to its availability for our use beginning that day. Jeri Crane stated, sorry it was not available. We asked could be expect at least a partial refund since we were unable to use the unit and much of the maintenance fees were for housekeeping etc and were told no the "association fee" (her words) was not going to be refunded. My husband told her we had paid maintenance fees and was not familiar with the "association fees" she referred to. Since we live locally, he asked and was denied the week long parking pass that would normally have been issued at check in. We were only allowed a daily beach pass. I guess a $682.67 maintenance fee and a $188.33 assessment won't even entitle you to one of the two parking passes that normally comes with your ownership week. You would think that a minimal amount of customer consideration on Peppertree's part would go a long way considering what they have done to it's Phase I into Phase II as well as all the additional Phase II owners that are being cheated out of their summer beach week vacations.

We did go to Peppertree yesterday, the guard would only give us the one day beach pass and you will love this...with all the available parking inside the resort, especially with the razing of buildings 1 - 14 and the continued shut down of Buildings 17- 19 and 24 & 25 we were told to park in the area by the guard shack designated for one day beach passes.

Having visited yesterday, I can tell you that there is no apparent work that has begun on Buildings 17 - 19. Very disappointing. 10 months into this condemnation and it is not open for owners use.

Shelleykc

Reaction score
The News-Times article published Sunday 6/12/16

The following is the content of the article in its entirety that appeared this past Sunday in The News-Times.

ATLANTIC BEACH OFFICIALS SAY REPAIRS AT PEPPERTREE VILLAS TO BE DONE SOON by Mike Shutak

ATLANTIC BEACH-Demolition has been completed for 14 buildings at Peppertree Villas condominium complex, and repairs on 11 others should be done by the end of this month.

This was the work from the town officials Monday, following an inquiry by News-Times staff on the status of the demolition/repair project at Peppertree Villas. The complex had several buildings condemned in 2014, with additional buildings partly condemned later, leading one of Peppertree Villas' homeowner's associations to mark 14 building for demolition and 11 others to be repaired by replacing their condemned exterior decks, walkways and stairways.

According to Kim Tynes, town permit technician in the planning and zoning department, all required demolition has been completed at the condo complex, while five of the buildings slated for repair have received certificates of completion.

"Footings are completed for (buildings) 15 and 16," Ms Tynes said. "They're currently working on footings on 17-19 and 25."

Due to its size, Peppertree Villas has multiple HOAs for different sections. Town manager David Walker said the HOA in charge of the demolished section had gone into bankruptcy, thus the demolition was court-approved.

"The other units' homeowners' association chose to shut down voluntarily while they reconstructed outside stairwells," he said. "Buildings 20-24 have been approved for occupancy and buildings 15-16, 17-19 and 25 hope to be completed for occupancy by the end of June, according to Peppertree officials."

Hope Carmichael, attorney with the Jordan Price Law Offices of Raleigh, is representing the Peppertree Villas HOAs in this project. In an interview with the News-Times Tuesday, she confirmed the demolition has occurred and said she's requested an update on the repairs from the HOA, so she deferred to town officials on the current status.

During the course of the project, News-Times staff has been contacted by several people who say they are owners of timeshares in Peppertreee Villas. These individuals have expressed concerns about the project, primarily over not being able to access their units and having to continue to pay timeshare fees despite not being able to access them.

Ms Carmichael, in response to these concerns, said that if it happened to her she wouldn't be happy about it either, but unfortunately it's necessary to continue to collect the fees in order to fund the project.

"The HOA is a nonprofit organization," she said. "It's unfortunate that (condemnation) happened, but from a legal standpoint, there's no legal relief (for the time-share owners).

Ms. Carmichael said while some timeshare owners might look at their share as a vacation they pay for each year, the fees are to maintain the real property of their units.

"When you own a timeshare, you own an interest in real property," she said.

Shelleykc

Reaction score
Peppertree Update

Visiited Peppertree today on another one day beach pass. Here is what I saw, work on the exterior staircase (beach side) of building 25 was only completed on the first level, active work being performed on the second level. While the earlier posted newspaper article indicated Building 24 was complete, that is not so as I observed repairs being performed on levels two and three of the decks/walkways. There is some encouraging news, work has begun on Building 17. No change in the status of Buildings 18 & 19. There was no active work going on for Building 15 & 16, it also showed no signs of occupancy. But you will find this of interest...a small building is being constructed adjacent to the large pool (center of the razed round buildings). My best guess is that it may be a bathroom/showers similar to the existing facility at the smaller pool. The pool did not appear to be open, but the children's splash pad was open and in use during my visit. I hope this information is helpful.

Mulligan101

Reaction score
Thanks for the update

The following is the content of the article in its entirety that appeared this past Sunday in The News-Times.

ATLANTIC BEACH OFFICIALS SAY REPAIRS AT PEPPERTREE VILLAS TO BE DONE SOON by Mike Shutak

ATLANTIC BEACH-Demolition has been completed for 14 buildings at Peppertree Villas condominium complex, and repairs on 11 others should be done by the end of this month.

This was the work from the town officials Monday, following an inquiry by News-Times staff on the status of the demolition/repair project at Peppertree Villas. The complex had several buildings condemned in 2014, with additional buildings partly condemned later, leading one of Peppertree Villas' homeowner's associations to mark 14 building for demolition and 11 others to be repaired by replacing their condemned exterior decks, walkways and stairways.

According to Kim Tynes, town permit technician in the planning and zoning department, all required demolition has been completed at the condo complex, while five of the buildings slated for repair have received certificates of completion.

"Footings are completed for (buildings) 15 and 16," Ms Tynes said. "They're currently working on footings on 17-19 and 25."

Due to its size, Peppertree Villas has multiple HOAs for different sections. Town manager David Walker said the HOA in charge of the demolished section had gone into bankruptcy, thus the demolition was court-approved.

"The other units' homeowners' association chose to shut down voluntarily while they reconstructed outside stairwells," he said. "Buildings 20-24 have been approved for occupancy and buildings 15-16, 17-19 and 25 hope to be completed for occupancy by the end of June, according to Peppertree officials."

Hope Carmichael, attorney with the Jordan Price Law Offices of Raleigh, is representing the Peppertree Villas HOAs in this project. In an interview with the News-Times Tuesday, she confirmed the demolition has occurred and said she's requested an update on the repairs from the HOA, so she deferred to town officials on the current status.

During the course of the project, News-Times staff has been contacted by several people who say they are owners of timeshares in Peppertreee Villas. These individuals have expressed concerns about the project, primarily over not being able to access their units and having to continue to pay timeshare fees despite not being able to access them.

Ms Carmichael, in response to these concerns, said that if it happened to her she wouldn't be happy about it either, but unfortunately it's necessary to continue to collect the fees in order to fund the project.

"The HOA is a nonprofit organization," she said. "It's unfortunate that (condemnation) happened, but from a legal standpoint, there's no legal relief (for the time-share owners).

Ms. Carmichael said while some timeshare owners might look at their share as a vacation they pay for each year, the fees are to maintain the real property of their units.

"When you own a timeshare, you own an interest in real property," she said.

Thank you for posting this article. A friend had messaged me that there was an article in the Sunday paper, but I was not able to pull it up onlne. If it were not for this forum and social media, I don't suppose we would know anything at all about our "interest in real property ". :annoyed:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so, so much for all you've shared.

Visiited Peppertree today on another one day beach pass. Here is what I saw, work on the exterior staircase (beach side) of building 25 was only completed on the first level, active work being performed on the second level. While the earlier posted newspaper article indicated Building 24 was complete, that is not so as I observed repairs being performed on levels two and three of the decks/walkways. There is some encouraging news, work has begun on Building 17. No change in the status of Buildings 18 & 19. There was no active work going on for Building 15 & 16, it also showed no signs of occupancy. But you will find this of interest...a small building is being constructed adjacent to the large pool (center of the razed round buildings). My best guess is that it may be a bathroom/showers similar to the existing facility at the smaller pool. The pool did not appear to be open, but the children's splash pad was open and in use during my visit. I hope this information is helpful.

Yes, it is encouraging to hear work has begun on Building 17. All your postings have been helpful.

Thank you for posting this article. A friend had messaged me that there was an article in the Sunday paper, but I was not able to pull it up onlne. If it were not for this forum and social media, I don't suppose we would know anything at all about our "interest in real property ". :annoyed:

We wouldn't know anything at all, that's for sure. I feel for all the owners at PAB that have been affected by all of this and continue to be affected. The owners that are not aware of TUG and info on social media really are in a pickle wondering what is going on and having absolutely no information coming from the resort, the HOA or Festiva. :(

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Thank you for all the recent updates. I am feeling better about week 35 in Building 25 now.

mrkube

Reaction score
Did you receive the private messages I sent you two weeks ago?

I just found a note asking about filing a complaint with the NCDOJ. Didn't know that was a private message. Is that what you are referring to?

Shelleykc

Reaction score
I just found a note asking about filing a complaint with the NCDOJ. Didn't know that was a private message. Is that what you are referring to?

User "NeedsAnswersPABII" had inquired about the documentation I used in my NC DOJ complaint, I had responded via private message with two messages sharing a copy of my complaint attachments which referenced the documentation that I had used in the original filing of the complaint. But I had not heard that this user had received the information so I thought I had better check.

NC Air

Reaction score
"buildings 15-16, 17-19 and 25 hope to be completed for occupancy by the end of June, according to Peppertree officials."

seems INCREDIBLY unrealistic given they haven't even started some of the buildings in this group of buidlings, and it's already mid June. Perhaps they saved the easiest and fastest for last, but I think they are just blowing smoke.

Interesting about the pool that was previously in the area of buildings 1-9 which are now gone. That HOA is bankrupt. The pool was in their section. So a new bathroom is being built. Wonder which HOA is paying for it? It's SOMEONE'S maintenance fees being used. And obviously if they are building a bathroom, they plan to use the pool that the bankrupt HOA owns.

The whole idea that they will sell the land in the very center of the resort to some other party that's not connected to Peppertree is laughable. How would the people from HOA 3 even get to the beach without crossing thru the new development that's not Peppertree.

The land where the buildings once stood has signs marked with warnings to wear shoes, not to go barefoot since although it's sandy, who knows what is lying hidden in the sand from the debris. I took pictures and posted them. It looks surprisingly cleaned up and professional where they once stood. It's only a matter of time before someone rebuilds, or why would they have left the pool and splashpad there.

I may be in the area again this weekend, and if i have time, I'll go in and take photos again.

Shelleykc

Reaction score
"buildings 15-16, 17-19 and 25 hope to be completed for occupancy by the end of June, according to Peppertree officials."

seems INCREDIBLY unrealistic given they haven't even started some of the buildings in this group of buidlings, and it's already mid June. Perhaps they saved the easiest and fastest for last, but I think they are just blowing smoke.

Interesting about the pool that was previously in the area of buildings 1-9 which are now gone. That HOA is bankrupt. The pool was in their section. So a new bathroom is being built. Wonder which HOA is paying for it? It's SOMEONE'S maintenance fees being used. And obviously if they are building a bathroom, they plan to use the pool that the bankrupt HOA owns.

The whole idea that they will sell the land in the very center of the resort to some other party that's not connected to Peppertree is laughable. How would the people from HOA 3 even get to the beach without crossing thru the new development that's not Peppertree.

The land where the buildings once stood has signs marked with warnings to wear shoes, not to go barefoot since although it's sandy, who knows what is lying hidden in the sand from the debris. I took pictures and posted them. It looks surprisingly cleaned up and professional where they once stood. It's only a matter of time before someone rebuilds, or why would they have left the pool and splashpad there.

I may be in the area again this weekend, and if i have time, I'll go in and take photos again.

It is my understanding that the three (now two) HOAs jointly contributed to the maintenance of the pool and splash pad. As long as the structure under construction does not overlap onto the footprint of the previous real property of Phase I there is no reason it cannot be built. You are correct, Phase II and Phase III maintenance fees would be funding the project.

CatCat

Reaction score
I want to express just how angry, disgusted, discouraged, dismayed and maybe even horrified I am at this whole debacle. I am a property owner in building 18, having 2 units in week 30. I paid my yearly maintenance fees, as much as I hated to do so. I've even paid the $188 "special assessment" fee for this year. NO apologies, NO remuneration, NO compensation...nothing, nada, zero...zilch. Count me in regarding a class action lawsuit, and HELL YEAH as for a DOJ investigation!!

CatCat

Reaction score
Maybe, but it's difficult to base your vacation plans on possibilities and chances, especially when they're tied to one specific week. My parents were one of the very first HO at PAB, in Bldg. 1, Penthouse. One of my sisters and one of my cousins were HO on the second floor, right below. Many of my family have been going to PAB for over 35 years, and what has happened is beyond reprehensible. I've already rented a two bedroom cottage not too far from there, but the anger and frustration aren't going away. I've called PAB AND Festiva twice each this week, and I get nothing.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
The Inspections and Planning Office at Atlantic Beach NC is your best place to call for information. Festiva and the Board for Section II are in hiding and pathetic in communication. I wish Festiva would go somewhere else as well as the current Board members for Section II. The next management company could be worse if that was to happen. If Festiva and The Board for Section II had been doing their jobs this would not have happened.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
The biggest issue once the Buildings are ready is getting an inspection. If you get in line last you will be waiting and if something is still wrong and needs doing then that can add time to the Buildings being opened for occupancy. Festiva needs to get its act together. This whole thing has been a disaster and Festiva and The Board for Section II have been a disaster.