• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So confused about Social Security

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why, why is it so hard to get information from them ?

My question:

Can I retire at 62, draw benefits from my own SS account, then switch to drawing spousal benefits when my husband retires several years down the road ? Is there any penalty for doing this ?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Short answer is No, they closed that loophole with recent legislation. If your husband dies before you then you get his amount only as survivor.

I can recommend this book if you want to learn all there is to know about SS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C7U3FLQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

If he was born before Dec 31st, 1953 then he can get spousal based on yours at his FRA until he files his own (at 70 the max).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My DW gets more than I do becuz she worked well-past her FRA, while I retired at 62.
But even if I was eligible for spousal benefits, it'd still be less that what I'm getting now.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I have worked since 15. Now 48, feel I can retire in about 7-8 years if all goes well, but want to hold off till 65 to get SS. My biggest concern with retirement before Medicare eligibility is health insurance, since the ACA, options have gone to almost nothing, while deductibles and costs have skyrocketed.

If you retire early how does not working the last few years before collecting effect what your qualified to collect?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If you retire early how does not working the last few years before collecting effect what your qualified to collect?
Others can correct me, but I believe as long as you have 35 years of income, having no income the last few years before collecting will not affect your benefit. However, if you continued to work, those last year's income would replace some of the lower income years in your 35 year history, so your benefits could increase. Hope that made sense.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Only your 35 highest-earning years count. To have 35 years of earnings at age 62, you must have reported earning since age 27. Otherwise some of those years will be counted as -0- ... a situation you can correct by working past age 62.

You can work as long (or as short) as you want, and your Social Security benefits are still based on your 35 highest-earning years (even if some of them are -0-).

<clear as mud?>

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... My biggest concern with retirement before Medicare eligibility is health insurance...

My employer-based insurance would'a kept me working until 65, except that I was able to tag onto it as a retiree, albeit at a much higher premium (subsidized vs. unsubsidized). Fortunately, I retired my monthly mortgage payment at the same time.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My employer-based insurance would'a kept me working until 65, except that I was able to tag onto it as a retiree, albeit at a much higher premium (subsidized vs. unsubsidized). Fortunately, I retired my monthly mortgage payment at the same time.
Same here. I retired at 62, dh (who had been covered under my insurance) was 67. I got retiree benefits at that point, which dropped my husband (or maybe it was just cheaper for him to go to a Medicare supplement plan). I could have also kept my daughters on my plan, but again it was cheaper for them to get separate policies.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Pardon my dropping in here but this thread is timely for me in that I am looking at retiring in 7 years. One aspect I am very uncertain about is insurance for those retired. I know there is Medicare but with all I hear about its shortcomings, it seems likely Medicare would be insufficient.

How are any of you covering your insurance needs in retirement if I may ask?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Pardon my dropping in here but this thread is timely for me in that I am looking at retiring in 7 years. One aspect I am very uncertain about is insurance for those retired. I know there is Medicare but with all I hear about its shortcomings, it seems likely Medicare would be insufficient.

First of all, when you turn 65 you have to sign up for Medicare Part A. If you still have private insurance through an employer you don't need a supplement at this time.

When you are no longer employed, then you need to sign up for Medicare Part B. At that time you can decide whether you want a Medicare Supplement plan (also known as Medigap) or a Medicare Advantage plan. You don't have to have either of these, but unless you are extremely rich and can pay for your healthcare out of pocket, you will want to. Some employers will offer a Medicare supplement or Advantage option to you. Mine did, but it was cheaper to go elsewhere.

Before I turned 65 dh and I went in and talked to our State Farm agent. He had sent me a letter offering a meeting to discuss Medicare plans. I didn't buy my supplemental plan through him (I went with the cheapest one I could find as they all have to provide the same coverage) but I learned a lot about what the different options were.

I am actually paying more now between what is taken out of Social Security for Medicare and my Medicare supplement plan that I did for insurance while I was working. However my employer also offers an HRA if I purchase either my Medicare supplement OR a prescription coverage through them. I did purchase the prescription coverage and by doing that I get $2600/year and my dh gets $1500/year. I've been informed this amount is going to be looked at and my belief is it will either be lowered, or eliminated. But currently that amount covers Medicare and the supplement at least.

This is all based on my knowledge and my own personal experience.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Thank you for that info, Luanne.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thank you for that info, Luanne.
And don't worry, before you turn 65 you'll be bombarded with information in the mail about Medicare. :)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'll start taking SS in January when I'm 62. Cliff is 18 years older so we figure we might as well take mine now because who knows when he'll kick the bucket and I'm left with just his (his dad lived to 93, albeit without his faculties after about 85, so I'm hoping Cliff gets to 95 intact). The problem as someone else pointed out is medical insurance for the next three years. I'm paying $814/mo right now and we are hoping to limp along with old customers calling us and the odd new customer finding us in the yellow pages. Up to age 65 I can still sell draperies, even if I have to limp in when my back is at its worst. But don't want Cliff on ladders as we go along (although he does much better on the ladder than he does on the floor trying to get back on his feet after working on something on the floor) and so hiring an installer will cut into what little bit I can bring in.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Medicare pays eighty percent, you usually buy a supplemental insurance to cover most of the rest. I am not sure which shortcomings you have heard.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

In a nutshell --

Pre-65, some of us kept our employer-provided plan (retiree class may have a higher premium).
... Mine went from $30/mth (subsidized) to $700/mth (unsubsidized). [BTW, drugs are included.]
... OR You can do "COBRA" for 18mths, but then will need to buy thru the Obamacare or privately.

At 65, you need to sign up for Medicare (if you wait there are penalties). Choices:
(a) Original, with an optional supplement plan that covers deductables + copays.
.... You will also need a medicare-approved drug plan (search on medicare.gov)
(b) An "Advantage" Plan, that may include drugs + dental, but have a limited network.

... Either way, trying to ditch Medicare entirely would be too costly for words.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have worked since 15. Now 48, feel I can retire in about 7-8 years if all goes well, but want to hold off till 65 to get SS. My biggest concern with retirement before Medicare eligibility is health insurance, since the ACA, options have gone to almost nothing, while deductibles and costs have skyrocketed.

I retired at 53 and I will have to pay for health insurance through the Exchange and/or individual market for 12 years. One can only hope that early retirees get some reprieve in a few years time, whether it is universal health care or the ability to buy into Medicare at even say up to 5X of Medicare rate, depending on age. To determine SS benefit, SS uses 35 years of highest contribution amount, adjusted to net present value (aka wage inflation) for each year.

I only put 18 years into SS but was at the maximum rate for most of the years, which means I have 17 years with zero contribution. Because my PIA is high, the SS office clerk confirmed that there is no benefit in claiming SS spousal benefit regardless of whether I am 62 or full retirement age because my PIA is higher than half of my spouse's PIA. I intend to collect SS at 62.

Yes, if you retire early, plan to set aside $ for health insurance and living expenses.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting to me the large number of people who plan to retire early, at age 62 or even younger.

How confident are you that your savings will last a lifetime (or two lifetimes with your spouse)?

There are lots of retirement income calculators, but the simplest rule of thumb is you can maybe safely withdraw 4% per year of what you've saved.

Assume your social security benefit will be $18,000/year starting at age 62 (equivalent to about 24,000 at age 66).
How much have you saved?
Is that enough to live on?

Savings = $ 500,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $38,000
Healthcare and income tax = $10,000
Spendable Income $28,000

Savings = $1,000,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $58,000
Spendable Income $48,000

Savings = $2,000,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $98,000
Spendable Income $88,000

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conan, your income tax doesn't go up when your income does in your figures. Congrats to someone who has income of 98 k and only spends 10k on healthcare and income tax.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I strongly suggest that you fill in this form with your actual earnings record:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf

In particular, look at Step 5, which illustrates how the benefit is skewed toward lower incomes. If your Average Indexed Montly Earnings (AIME in SS-speak) is at least $5336, then you're in the 15% bracket. At that point, increased earnings have only a minor effect on your benefit, and I wouldn't worry too much about itl

SSA replaces 90% of the first $885 of AIME, then 32% up to $5336, and then only 15% of anything over that. So, as long as your AIME is over $5336, then even if the additional income goes directly into your average - e.g., you haven't yet reached 35 years - then each additional $1000 of income will increase your benefit by slightly less than 36 cents per month. An extra $100K yields an increase of $36 per month. That's not nothing, but it's a very reduced response.

Bob, who has always been good at math.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I retired at 62 becuz working until 65 or FTA would not make a significant difference.
I'd have a slightly higher SS benefit and pension, but it would not change my lifestyle.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Interesting to me the large number of people who plan to retire early, at age 62 or even younger.

How confident are you that your savings will last a lifetime (or two lifetimes with your spouse)?

There are lots of retirement income calculators, but the simplest rule of thumb is you can maybe safely withdraw 4% per year of what you've saved.

Assume your social security benefit will be $18,000/year starting at age 62 (equivalent to about 24,000 at age 66).
How much have you saved?
Is that enough to live on?

Savings = $ 500,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $38,000
Spendable Income $28,000

Savings = $1,000,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $58,000
Spendable Income $48,000

Savings = $2,000,000
Soc Sec + Investment Income at age 62 = $98,000
Spendable Income $88,000
I'm not confident I will have enough saved by 62 so I'm working till 66 not by choice but by need

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conan, your income tax doesn't go up when your income does in your figures. Congrats to someone who has income of 98 k and only spends 10k on healthcare and income tax.

I could have prepared more detailed examples. Of course social security is never fully taxable, and many retirees favor tax-exempt investments. If you want to use $20,000 or $40,000 for income tax and healthcare (Parts B, D and a supplement) feel free.

Which gives more support for the concept that one should look before leaping into early retirement.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Things get even more dicey if one spouse passes. I am stressing that we should plan to live a lifestyle based on one SS check, investments/cash, and no pension. I can't even imagine how we will do this and we have a nice amount of savings. We better get our tent ready....:(

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those that live in states with high property taxes can really feel the pinch when you are retired. Even if you downsize, you can still have a property tax bill that is going to gobble up your income.