• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bundle Package (Direct-Resale Week and DC Points) Availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I was just told in Las Vegas Grand Chateau that Marriott is no longer converting resale weeks to points even with an additional points purchase

Moderator Note: This post and responses to it have been moved from a thread related to selling DC Trust Points. <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I was just told in Las Vegas Grand Chateau that Marriott is no longer converting resale weeks to points even with an additional points purchase
Are you saying you cannot currently enroll a resale week purchased after June 2010 into the points program by purchasing a points package? If so, that is currently true. They have in the past opened a couple small windows in which they did offer this, but no such promotion running currently.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you saying you cannot currently enroll a resale week purchased after June 2010 into the points program by purchasing a points package? If so, that is currently true. They have in the past opened a couple small windows in which they did offer this, but no such promotion running currently.

Thank you

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

That's true except if you buy the resale week from Marriott's internal resale department. Those resale weeks can still be enrolled with a points purchase. I know that you know this, I was just pointing it out for the benefit of Trudyt623 that SOME resale weeks can still be enrolled for points.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Converting resale weeks to points"...

In the sense of "enrolling weeks bought in the resale market after 2010"...no, they are not currently doing that (though I did see European week offers go by relatively recently).

In the sense of "enrolling weeks bought in the resale market before 2010"...yes, they are still doing that. You can hit the 'enroll' button on the webpage but a much more cost effective way to enroll your pre-2010 weeks is to buy enrollment bundled into an encore package.

In the sense of allowing people to buy 'bundled' (aka hybrid) packages of an enrolled 'direct resale' week from Marriott & DPs equal to or greater than the DP value of that week...yes, they are still doing that. I'm actually about to close on such a bundle.

That said, I did have a salesrep tell me, "We're not allowed to talk about them unless someone asks", as well as, "We're only allowed to sell them to people who already bought one." And I've read reports on tug of many salesreps saying something along the lines of 'Buy now because we're about to stop selling them.' Caveat emptor (as always).

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wanted to purchase an encore bundle but was told they are no longer offered.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I wanted to purchase an encore bundle but was told they are no longer offered.
A hybrid bundle (buy a week and points as a bundle) or an encore package to enable you to enroll a pre 2010 purchased week you already own?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The onsite sales reps may not want to talk about bundles (direct-resale Week and DC Points) but the reps at Marriott Resales will be happy to help:
Welcome to the Official Website for Marriott Vacation Club® Resales.

You can search available Weeks inventory at that link by clicking the "Buy Weeks" tab. If you're serious about a bundle, though, you'll have to call that office for the DC Points purchase requirement and pricing.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the sales rep was being specific to Grand Chateau. Marriott does not broker that property so a hybrid package would be impossible with a week at Chateau.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True...MVC Resales can only sell (and thus bundle) the weeks they have in inventory. Some of the prices are ridiculous compared to external resale but others are quite reasonable - particularly when DP and/or MR point values are considered. Your mileage may vary, caveat emptor, etc.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a really good deal if someone is dead set on aquiring DC points. The purchase price for a week, while seemingly inflated vs outside market, is but a tiny fraction of what it costs to buy the same number of points. Then the annual fee is much smaller as well. It's like a bad deal combined with a good deal but it works if someone wants points.

Marriott needs to keep those resale prices inflated. The primary reason is that is actually the market rates for Marriott as the broker. Why sell something for less than people are willing to pay? Much of the inventory moves at a very fast rate. If Marriott couldn't get good prices less people would be willing to sell and Marriott wouldn't even offer the option because there wouldn't be enough money in it for them.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Marriott needs to keep those resale prices inflated. The primary reason is that is actually the market rates for Marriott as the broker. Why sell something for less than people are willing to pay? Much of the inventory moves at a very fast rate. If Marriott couldn't get good prices less people would be willing to sell and Marriott wouldn't even offer the option because there wouldn't be enough money in it for them.
But some inventory does not. Unless it has recently changed, the Marriott resale pricing at Ko Olina is pretty much what the original developer prices were. As a result, Marriott Resales sells very few Ko Olina weeks and the waiting list to sell is very long. They told me a year or two ago that they had sold only one Ko Olina ocean view week in the previous 12 months. By contrast, Maui and Waiohai weeks go very quickly.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
But some inventory does not. Unless it has recently changed, the Marriott resale pricing at Ko Olina is pretty much what the original developer prices were. As a result, Marriott Resales sells very few Ko Olina weeks and the waiting list to sell is very long. They told me a year or two ago that they had sold only one Ko Olina ocean view week in the previous 12 months. By contrast, Maui and Waiohai weeks go very quickly.

Why do you think that is? They do lower prices over time but I'm not sure what drives it. I've seen them lower prices on stuff that moves.

I don't know if I trust them to call people on the wait list. I had a Tugger tell me that they were recently called but I know many others haven't. It seems with some units that are high supply and move quickly the list was completely abandoned. Possibly because it was too outdated.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think it is because it is not an attractive property to use with a Hybrid Package. Those would tend to be lower DC point weeks. Perhaps those in the 2000 point range where you end up with 4000-5000 points out of the Hybrid deal. I would think those that are buying 10,000 points aren't that concerned about the deal they could get with Hybrid and are just sold pure trust points.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina is worse than that - it's one of the very few MVCI properties that go up in price/point if you buy a Hybrid package. The three Ko Olina weeks on sale last I looked were $11.375/pt, $14.088/pt, and $15.393/pt.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps the reason that KoOlina is still sold at full retail is because they perhaps still market weeks instead of DC points to the Japanese market? If that is the case, it wouldn't make sense to do brokered resales at a discount.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Perhaps the reason that KoOlina is still sold at full retail is because they perhaps still market weeks instead of DC points to the Japanese market? If that is the case, it wouldn't make sense to do brokered resales at a discount.
That is probably the explanation, I would have never thought of that. The higher point theory does not hold water because Maui is much higher in points and the MVCI resale prices for weeks is lower. But this explanation makes a lot of sense.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps the sales rep was being specific to Grand Chateau. Marriott does not broker that property so a hybrid package would be impossible with a week at Chateau.

What does Marriott not brokering the Grand Chateau? I'm still a novice at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.