• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Hi all,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread!

For our particular timeline of start to finish through this process, this is what we experienced:
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Initial email sent to LossMitigation@diamondresorts.com
    • Included:
      • Resort name: DRI
      • Owner's name
      • Account number
      • Inventory owned (in my case this was points)
      • General section where I stated a briefly why I needed to do this
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Email reply was generated stating a ticket was created for my inquiry
  • Dec. 29, 2016: Paid 2017 maintenance dues
  • Jan. 26, 2017: Received the paperwork via USPS
  • Feb. 5, 2017: Went by the bank to get the paperwork notarized; mailed a $250 check and notarized paperwork off
  • Mar. 8, 2017: Diamond's website now show, when I log in, I have this message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

Looks like we are done!

Now my final question is... will I get a prorated reimbursement for the maintenance fees I paid for 2017? I hope so, but even if I don't... I still feel like it's a wash, I'm just so relieved to have this over with. Thank you again for this thread.

Did you get a letter from Chicago Title or DRI basically saying the transaction was finalized ?
I submitted by notarized paperwork and $250 credit card payment on March 4, 2017, 2 weeks ago. Still showing as owner in DRI system.
I am EOY so I made sure to pay and book my 2017 week then deposit it into II so I could retain the usage I paid for.
If you paid for 2017, you should still have a week to use, you arent supposed to lose that week.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always nice to be pleasantly surprised by a developer!

tstora

Reaction score
Yay, I tried logging into my account and received the message, "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

Updated timeline:
9/2/16 - Initial e-mail request.
9/20/16 - Request approved.
11/29/16 - Paperwork received.
3/21/17 - Account closed.

I could have finished sooner, but there was a mix-up with the paperwork. The notary public told me it wasn't necessary to have witnesses, and while it may be true in my state, apparently it's not wherever they handle they title for my timeshare, so they sent the paperwork back to me in February. I got the witness signatures and sent the paperwork back, and thankfully everything worked out.

As for the refund, may I ask who everyone contacted to receive theirs?

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay, I tried logging into my account and received the message, "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

Updated timeline:
9/2/16 - Initial e-mail request.
9/20/16 - Request approved.
11/29/16 - Paperwork received.
3/21/17 - Account closed.

I could have finished sooner, but there was a mix-up with the paperwork. The notary public told me it wasn't necessary to have witnesses, and while it may be true in my state, apparently it's not wherever they handle they title for my timeshare, so they sent the paperwork back to me in February. I got the witness signatures and sent the paperwork back, and thankfully everything worked out.

As for the refund, may I ask who everyone contacted to receive theirs?

Simply call the loss mitigation dept. at 1-877-497-7521. They will submit the request for you through the applicable department. My refund showed up as a credit on my charge card monthly statement and was from the resort HOA. So I guess diamond pays them and they pay you??? Anyways, it was quick and easy. For all the sales horror stories (I believe them but never experienced) and the high maintenance fee issues (one reason I left) I must say that they were very professional, polite and efficient throughout this process. Every thing they told me would happen did, including the time line.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Diamond
Does anyone here own Diamond which took over Monarch? We too requested to return our ownership which we have owned for over 24 years. I just received this email from their mitigation department.

"Dear Michelle Sandhu,

Thank you for your correspondence. Please be advised that neither the
management company, nor the developer, are taking back ownership within the
Association.

You may sell your ownership; however, we want to caution you not to work with
any third party that requests an upfront payment of any kind. When you locate
a buyer privately or through a third party, the management company will be
happy to assist you with completing the transfer of ownership. Please note
that prior to transferring ownership, any loan repayment obligations must be
satisfied, as well as any fees owed to the Association.

Kind regards,

Shelia"

It is no surprise to me that they lie and say they have no such program for returning ownership or points. Just wondering if anybody was with Diamond Monarch and was able to get out of their contract ....

We just received another email from their loss mitigation department. I'm rather confused as they stated they had no relinquish program...

"Dear Michelle Sandhu,

Please be advised that to relinquish your account you have to qualify. Your
loan must be paid in full and your maintenance fees must be at a zero balance,
you have a $439.40 balance.

Kind regards,

Shelia"

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Does anyone here own Diamond which took over Monarch? We too requested to return our ownership which we have owned for over 24 years. I just received this email from their mitigation department.

"Dear Michelle Sandhu,

Thank you for your correspondence. Please be advised that neither the
management company, nor the developer, are taking back ownership within the
Association.

You may sell your ownership; however, we want to caution you not to work with
any third party that requests an upfront payment of any kind. When you locate
a buyer privately or through a third party, the management company will be
happy to assist you with completing the transfer of ownership. Please note
that prior to transferring ownership, any loan repayment obligations must be
satisfied, as well as any fees owed to the Association.

Kind regards,

Shelia"

It is no surprise to me that they lie and say they have no such program for returning ownership or points. Just wondering if anybody was with Diamond Monarch and was able to get out of their contract ....

We just received another email from their loss mitigation department. I'm rather confused as they stated they had no relinquish program...

"Dear Michelle Sandhu,

Please be advised that to relinquish your account you have to qualify. Your
loan must be paid in full and your maintenance fees must be at a zero balance,
you have a $439.40 balance.

Kind regards,

Shelia"
I was Monarch Grand deeded owner, not points. Then moved over to Diamond Resorts, still deeded not points.
In process for deedback to Diamond.
Waiting for it to finalize.

Are you a points owner ? Is that what she is referring to as Association?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, its been reported in the thread that monarch owners are the only ones sofar who have been turned down when trying to deed their intervals back under this program.

Bill4728

Reaction score
yes, its been reported in the thread that monarch owners are the only ones sofar who have been turned down when trying to deed their intervals back under this program.
Sorry Brian BUT that is not true

I was a MGV points owner who was able to give back my pts

I do not know why the other MGV owners may have had their requests refused but in general DRI is taking back MGV ownerships

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
while you may certainly have been able to give them back, consistently the only "refusals" ive seen reported were from MGV owners. (including this most recent one)

raffa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
dri european collection
All members of DRI collection are able to obtain the deedback?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we suggest sending an email to the appropriate emails listed in the first post to inquire directly if you will be accepted or not.

tstora

Reaction score
Simply call the loss mitigation dept. at 1-877-497-7521. They will submit the request for you through the applicable department. My refund showed up as a credit on my charge card monthly statement and was from the resort HOA. So I guess diamond pays them and they pay you??? Anyways, it was quick and easy. For all the sales horror stories (I believe them but never experienced) and the high maintenance fee issues (one reason I left) I must say that they were very professional, polite and efficient throughout this process. Every thing they told me would happen did, including the time line.

Thanks very much! I first tried emailing them at BillingHelp@DiamondResorts.com but didn't receive a response after two weeks, so I tried calling the number as you suggested (Pick option 3 for Inventory Recovery) and they were able to send a request to the HOA for me. They did tell me that it was on a case-by-case basis, and to call again in a few weeks to check if the request had been approved. Even if I don't get the refund, at least I can rest easy knowing I won't have to pay the 2018 fees or anything to them ever again!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Did you get a letter from Chicago Title or DRI basically saying the transaction was finalized ?
I submitted by notarized paperwork and $250 credit card payment on March 4, 2017, 2 weeks ago. Still showing as owner in DRI system.
I am EOY so I made sure to pay and book my 2017 week then deposit it into II so I could retain the usage I paid for.
If you paid for 2017, you should still have a week to use, you arent supposed to lose that week.
Received an email today that the Deed has been recorded and they have notified Diamond Resorts for internal transfer purposes. Yippie...

William_Tell46

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG Rocks! We followed the OP directions ( called and emailed and got notice that they would send information to the title company to start the deed back on our deeded week at the Point of Poipu. Brian you and the members of TUG have been a God send.. Saved us from the cost and helped with the rescission process of where we went to the update and did that fiasco..and now guided us ( after informing us) about the deed-back procedure.

We'll keep you posted of our timeline as it unfurls!

Happy Easter to those that celebrate with us.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, follow the directions in the first post to get started!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, it worked..Wonder if I have time to use my points before all this goes through?

I relinquished a week rather than points but in 2016 when I initially placed the request I had just made my 2017 maintenance fee payment the week before. Because of this I asked what they wanted me to do....use my 2017 week or would they refund the fee. At that time they said I could use my 2017 week but would have to wait to submit the relinquish request until after the usage; otherwise, they would refund fee after closing. Not knowing how long the program would continue I rolled the dice and in the end they did refund my fees. Bottom line here is that I think you should call and ask what the consequence of using points is. I wouldnt want it to derail what you've set up.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
2/21 Update: I received an envelope dated 2/13. Inside was letter dated 12/13/2016 stating "DRI has agreed to accept voluntary surrender of your ownership interest in Premiere Vacation Collection. This correspondence shall confirm the termination of your ownership. While you no longer have any rights or obligations associated with the property, please feel free to contact DR, Loss Mitigation Department at 1-877-497-7521... with questions...." Not exactly timely but what I did ask for. Closing the file.
Today, 4/24/17 I received a letter stating DRI has agreed to accept voluntary surrender of your ownership.....This correspondence shall confirm the termination of your ownership. .....

Some have asked about a written letter and it took roughly 2 months past the online account being closed.

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
Free at last! Taking no for answer, my Monarch Grand Vacation/DRI is out of my back, transfer fee of $250 has cleared and my account appears to have closed. Started Feb 14 and today is freedom day!

I hope this gives encouragement to others.

Thanks

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fantastic! nice to hear someone was successful in giving back a monarch ownership recently...the last few we had seen were denied!

(maybe if those folks are still reading this thread they can resubmit!)

ChinoBC

Reaction score
Free at last! Taking no for answer, my Monarch Grand Vacation/DRI is out of my back, transfer fee of $250 has cleared and my account appears to have closed. Started Feb 14 and today is freedom day!

I hope this gives encouragement to others.

Thanks
Did you give a fantastic reason to leave or just a vanilla one?

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
Did you give a fantastic reason to leave or just a vanilla one?

We've owned TS with Monarch Grand Vacation for over 15 years and we had visited all the resort properties. When Diamond took over, they have been convincing us over and over to convert to Diamond with all their sweet talks. My wife and I always attend "update meetings" with ulterior motive of just getting all the inducement gifts (to at least recover some of our fees paid). There was a time that we were almost convinced but we held our ground stronger, thinking that this is not really worthwhile and we will just leave our kids a legacy of financial responsibilities. We made a decision to give up our timeshare this year, and oh boy, what a good feeling now that it is closed!

If this may help you..
Here's my dramatized reason: Financial difficulty in paying HOAs to the point of high CC balance. With kids grown and nearing retirement, our vacation activities have greatly changed.

I was originally denied at first the voluntary surrender request and DRI noted that I have not fully paid the entire year's Ass. Fees balance.
I argued that I was current through March (Q1). But then DRI is charging the owners the entire year's Ass. Fees. I took NO for an answer. With full intent to surrender, I paid the rest of the year's fees. I made them happy and they closed my account saving me of lifetime fees of thousands and thousands of dollars.

My next challenge is to claim some of the overpaid Ass. fees. I read that some people have been successful in claiming overpaid fees. Not having high hopes but wish me luck.

Thanks
Orion

ChinoBC

Reaction score
My next challenge is to claim some of the overpaid Ass. fees. I read that some people have been successful in claiming overpaid fees. Not having high hopes but wish me luck.

Thanks
Orion[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. We are original MGV owners who have also held out from Diamond. Our needs have changed as well. We are planning on deed back in the summer.