• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok continue to wonder why many members don't just list their home resorts etc as a direct exchange ad just to see what might be out there and available for free.

all feedback is appreciated! I just must not comprehend the suggestions you are making, its free, and is zero risk. how exactly can we improve on that?

clearly not everyone is able to "trade up" within RCI or II...if everyone could...there would be nothing but junk weeks available at any time. thus is the dilemma with any exchange system.

the direct exchange system was not designed for one person to "make out like a bandit" on a trade and get something significantly better than what their own unit is worth...it was designed for owners to be able to trade weeks for free with other owners due to the rising costs in exchange fees with the major players.

While it clearly isnt something that applies to your situation or benefits you, and I fully understand that you clearly are only interested in trading up, vs trading with another TUG member...what exactly are you suggesting be changed to improve the system?

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto...

I tried it with a high demand, prime week and got offers of dud weeks I could book for 10 TPUs. I would really like a more selective exchange group--such as only Tuggers with 100+ posts and only HGVC, Marriott, Hyatt, DVC, etc., and maybe non-hotel prime weeks (summer beach, prime ski, Yellowstone, etc.). Any way we could do this? Maybe a forum with a password like sightings?

Limited experience with TUG direct exchange attempt was similar, 'tho I don't use exchange companies so don't really know (or care) about TPU's (ours or theirs).

I offered a prime 2BR coastal SW FL Snowbird week (and I may try the same offer again on TUG next year), seeking the same week in 1BR or 2BR in a broad but very specifically defined geographic area in FL The clear specificity (very deliberately) limited the responses. Got offers to exchange for a studio, or for a dog week in areas entirely outside of our specified area of interest, so we ultimately got nowhere. In essence, we got offered rusty iron pipes in exchange for our gold bar. No thanks.

May try again next year, just for a one-time change of pace, to "swap" a week for the very same week in an adjoining geographic area. Can't hurt to try... :shrug:

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
It does work out to everybody's satisfaction sometimes though.

I'm in the middle of a three way exchange. I gave a 1 bedroom Mardis Gras week in New Orleans to someone, they gave someone else a week in Paris, and I got a summertime unit at Big Cedar.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
People are going to ask for crazy exchanges just to see if you'll agree. Some ads say "will consider all offers" so maybe yours could indicate specific resorts/unit size only - although you may still get some tire kickers because hope springs eternal. This is the reason that II and RCI exist - to sort through exchanges so that you don't have to.

I've listed units for sale and people have suggested crazy swaps instead i.e. let's permanently trade my dog week location A for your prime week location B. I can't blame them for trying but it does make me chuckle because there is no way that's happening.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
all feedback is appreciated! I just must not comprehend the suggestions you are making, its free, and is zero risk. how exactly can we improve on that?

clearly not everyone is able to "trade up" within RCI or II...if everyone could...there would be nothing but junk weeks available at any time. thus is the dilemma with any exchange system.

the direct exchange system was not designed for one person to "make out like a bandit" on a trade and get something significantly better than what their own unit is worth...it was designed for owners to be able to trade weeks for free with other owners due to the rising costs in exchange fees with the major players.

While it clearly isnt something that applies to your situation or benefits you, and I fully understand that you clearly are only interested in trading up, vs trading with another TUG member...what exactly are you suggesting be changed to improve the system?

Go re-read you original question. You didn't ask for suggestion, you wonder why people didn't use your free service.

Ask Marriott's owners why they enrolled their week in the DC program. To get fair exchange using points ? To pay more for a 2 bdrm than a studio using points ? No. They do it to have no lock-off fee, free unlimited II exchange and uptrade with II.

Ask Vistana/Starwood owners why they want acquire a 2 bdrm at the Westin Kierland Platinum+ season on the resale market ? To get fair exchange ? No, it is to get the 148500 SO for only 1400 USD MF and get internally higher MF resorts like Harborside at Atlantis, Hawaii, St-John USVI, ...

Some TUG members like me are points members of a Club where you are not supposed to exchange/rent your week booked with points. Some people do it but the majority will not take a chance to be caught.

Many people are afraid to deal with somebody they don't know. It is not because somebody is a tugger that he/she is trust-able.

If something happen after you have made your exchange, you can't call the other person at the last minute and tell them that the deal is over but with II/RCI, you can.

These are some reasons why people don't use your free service.

I agree that posting an ad cost nothing and there is always a fish somewhere but there is also a lot of people that will try to get your high-end 2 bdrm week in the Caribbeans or Hawaii with a crappy studio in the middle of nowhere because they can do it with II if they are patient.

Last edited:

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to exchanging. I have yet to do it...mostly because I haven't really figured it all out. :eek:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
all of those reasons (perfectly legitimate explanations) still imply some sort of risk or cost involved in merely creating a direct exchange ad to see whats out there when there is no risk, or cost to take a chance.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the direct exchange board searchable by points/company wanted? I have a week that I'd like to exchange for either worldmark points or a wyndham booking in Anaheim. Can I put that I'm looking for point in addition to putting a location request?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the direct exchange board searchable by points/company wanted? I have a week that I'd like to exchange for either worldmark points or a wyndham booking in Anaheim. Can I put that I'm looking for point in addition to putting a location request?

you should be able to select "worldmark points" as the resort you are looking to trade for yes!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated the first post with the correct link to all current exchanges, as well as a link to the advice article explaining how TUG direct exchanges work.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Bragging Rights!

Hi Tuggers, We just completed our first direct exchange with KLCP another Tug member. We went to Maui Lea at Maui Hill. Kit went with her family to Fitzpatrick's Castle in Ireland. Our weeks were comparable and the timeshares were of equal quality and size. Never tried this until now and it worked out perfectly. I hope to be able to do this again with my other timeshares. Much less stress than requesting an on going search. We talked a few times and it felt like dealing with friends. I recommend doing this, thanks Kit!
Silentg

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
HomeExchange

I just rejoined a home exchange website. I would like to trade a timeshare for a bigger house. Preferably in a location that is not covered by RCI. In the past, I have successfully traded my excess hotel points for a nice house, so I know this can work too.

This works for me because my timeshare MFs are much lower than renting a nice house. It works for them because they get a free vacation and someone to watch their house while they are gone. It can also be non-simultaneous.

If you have a nice big house at a vacation destination, let me know! Or you can stay in my house near Washington D.C. and give me a free timeshare vacation.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Tuggers, We just completed our first direct exchange with KLCP another Tug member. We went to Maui Lea at Maui Hill. Kit went with her family to Fitzpatrick's Castle in Ireland. Our weeks were comparable and the timeshares were of equal quality and size. Never tried this until now and it worked out perfectly. I hope to be able to do this again with my other timeshares. Much less stress than requesting an on going search. We talked a few times and it felt like dealing with friends. I recommend doing this, thanks Kit!
Silentg

Hi Terry! Yes ours was a great success story. We had the perfect setup for a first time direct exchange - both of our weeks were fixed week, fixed units - and it turned out that our weeks were almost back to back. (Weeks 23 and 24, I think?) It required trust between both parties - and we friended each other on facebook and talked on the phone which really helped. I couldn't be more pleased with the way that things worked out - for both of us. :)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Oops sorry I got your tug name wrong

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just had two reviews in the past week where owners mentioned they were staying at weeks traded directly with other TUG members via the direct exchange system.

absolutely no reason to not post any intervals you own to see what free trade you can get!

who knows, you might end up somewhere amazing you previously hadnt considered...and itll be free!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb question here, but I didn't see a spot to post your exchange request? It seems like people would only be able to search what I have offered up, (like a "for sale" type of situation) but I didn't see a "looking for BLAH" type of situation. Or am I looking at it wrong? Kinda like an OGS with RCI, but with TUG instead? (see if anyone wants to nibble?)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not a dumb question at all!

when you submit a direct exchange ad, you fill out not only what you have, but what you are looking for as well.

the system will notify you of any matches via email (be it existing matches, or if anyone posts a new exchange ad that matches your search parameters after your ad has been posted).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
not a dumb question at all!

when you submit a direct exchange ad, you fill out not only what you have, but what you are looking for as well.

the system will notify you of any matches via email (be it existing matches, or if anyone posts a new exchange ad that matches your search parameters after your ad has been posted).

Thanks so much! If I may ask a few more questions?

Since I own HGVC there's no designated week/unit, do I list all the resorts/locations and unit sizes I'm willing to try to get in exchange for something?

What about if I have a Vida (Grand Mayan/Grand Bliss/ Grand Luxxe) that I *may* be able to obtain as an exchange (not RCI), can I list that?

ie: Looking for ABC (think highly sought after location) 1 BR. Willing to exchange a 2 BR at XYZ or see if I can get a 1 or 2 BR at Vida location and get guest certificate via company JKL.

??

(basically it's going to be cheaper for me to either use my points with Hilton or exchange, even at a 2 BR rather than pay the $1500-2000 asking for the unit/location I'm looking for).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id think making your search criteria and availability as broad as possible would provide you the best chance of making a match!

also note you can post as many direct exchange ads as you want, they are totally free and do not utilize your ad credits.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just reading back through this thread and wanted to update and or post instructions on how to create a Direct Exchange ad:

Step 1: log into http://tug2.com

Step 2: click the "post ad" button from the member dashboard as seen here:
dex-step2.jpg

Step 3: read the Terms and Conditions page completely then click "I have read and agree to these terms" at the bottom

Step 4: Use the drop down menu to select "For Exchange" to begin posting a direct exchange ad
dex-step4.jpg

Step 5: continue filling out all of the boxes in the form (note that you can post fixed weeks, floating weeks (to cover a range of weeks available) and points!
dex-step5.jpg

Step 6: click "add resort or area you want to exchange for"
dex-step6.jpg

Step 7: Begin selecting exactly what you are looking to exchange for using the next screen and drop down menu!:
dex-step7.jpg

**added note, if you do NOT choose from the 3 options here and instead just click save, it will include all resorts and all areas for those of you who are looking to trade for anything (or just want to see what is out there available to you!)

Step 8: Example of choosing "weeks at a specific resort", note that ALL of these fields are optional! if you dont put in anything, it will enter your exchange ad as being open to trading with ANY resort!
dex-step8.jpg

Step 9: keep entering in more trade options or search criteria, there is no limit to the times you can fill out these forms to narrow down your exchange options, or simply enter blank ones to include matches for everything!
upload_2017-5-8_12-53-19.png

Step 10: fill out the title and description (add whatever you want here to say to anyone looking at your ad publicly!) and click "submit listing"
upload_2017-5-8_12-55-19.png

hope this helps!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and on a side note, the new forums allow you to copy/paste images right into your replies and it automatically uploads the image within your post...this is so super handy!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha, guess my instructions work...just got 3 new direct exchange ads submitted!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I think the issue I had with direct exchange is some people list the week they OWN and in the text detail the weeks they want, and in some instances people list the week they WANT and in the details it describes the week they own. Problem is having a single listing for both makes it hard to search properly and efficiently. You almost need a dual entry per listing, one side listing the HAVE IT, and the other listing the WANT IT. You have some listings that just list part of the equation, so how do you know what you could have in exchange. So I suggest TUG needs a better way to capture and search both sides of the trade equation.

The two reason I haven't used it is feeling I got value out of my trade, and the ease in searching the listings.

I have units, but I am open to where I might want to go. So I want to work backwards. I want to see what people want and if I have what they want, do they have someplace I want to go. So searching that way doesn't work, you often have to look at every ad.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I have units, but I am open to where I might want to go. So I want to work backwards. I want to see what people want and if I have what they want, do they have someplace I want to go. So searching that way doesn't work, you often have to look at every ad.
Yep, this my struggle also ... as noted back on page 3 of this thread. Oh, my, my ... that was back in 2010!?! Wowza.