• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help with European River Cruise

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to book a river cruise, immediately before, or after my daughter's wedding reception in Switzerland. The reception is on October 14 of this year. If the cruise was before the reception I would like to do Amsterdam to Basel. If I booked after the reception, Basel to Amsterdam.

The trouble is that everything that works looks full. A few of the cruises say "waitlist", but most say "sold out". I am working with someone at Viking but he is not been especially helpful. They have a special going on right now with free airfare through the end of the month that I would really like to take advantage of.

But if that does not pan out, I would be open to another cruise line. I have been on Cruise Critic's board, but found it confusing. When I try to find a cruise for my date, it shows me cruise for 2018.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may have a hard time finding a River Cruise at this short notice. We have gone with Scenic River Cruises a number of times, I would search their site or give them a call. We usually book a year out, to get the dates and cabin we like.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were booked on that route last Fall with AMAWaterways. We had to cancel at the last minute (2 weeks before boarding), so I can attest that cancellations DO happen. It would be hard to rely on a waitlist if your dates are firm.

Jim

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We cruise with AmaWaterways once a year. We always book through Friends of Dave Tours website. Dave is our friend. Tell him Rich sent you!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We cruise with AmaWaterways once a year. We always book through Friends of Dave Tours website. Dave is our friend. Tell him Rich sent you!

Rich, Dave is our friend, too. We met up with him in Warnemunde a couple years ago. When we cancelled last fall due to illness, Dave stuck with us and acted as go-between with AMA, making sure we were refunded. What a coincidence!

Jim

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure is. We first met him in Warnemunde in 2009.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you check CruiseCritics? Look under river cruise for Europe.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
But if that does not pan out, I would be open to another cruise line. I have been on Cruise Critic's board, but found it confusing. When I try to find a cruise for my date, it shows me cruise for 2018.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Gayle, try getting hold of Dave (Natale). He has access to blocks of cabins on AMAWaterways. He is a functioning travel agent and if he can possibly help you, I assure you he will put forth the effort. His Website: http://www.dna-tours.de/ Tell him Rich, or Jim & Paula send regards. His service is one-of-a-kind!

Jim

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traveled with Dave too. He is very thorough.

Try Vantage River Cruises. We are doing late September with them Amsterdam to Basel. They go through October.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got off of a Uniworld cruise on the Danube from Passau to Budapest. I can't say enough great things about this line. Really top notch in all ways. I would look to Uniworld or maybe Scenic over Viking. We toured a Viking ship and talked with the front desk of Baldour trying to meet up with friends on that line. There was zero comparison in our minds. I had read this and now I have seen it. Hope you can find a cabin. I use Vacationstogo.com to do searches while looking. If you know exactly which cruise you want, you can search by adding your cities to cut down on all the other cruise results. Then you can sort your results by date. On the upper right menu you will find River Cruises. After coming off of a river cruise where they kept us very busy, I would suggest taking the cruise after the wedding. I just looked at Vacations To Go and Uniworld has a cabin open for the trip you want beginning October 15. There are other lines, as well. Good luck.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these two links. PSTreet1. They are good reviews of the lines. I had read both when we were deciding which line to chose, but I lost track of them. I will bookmark them both this time.

Here's the 2016 rating guide for river cruises. Viking doesn't rate as well as some other lines, and the consumer advocate site I use a lot says Viking's customer service is the worst. http://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/river/

This site has a ton of information: http://riverboatratings.com/

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I would also recommend AMA waterways. One of my agents that some of the long time TUGgers know, Kathy Q, just came back from a trip with them, and LOVED it. She is getting a group together to go next year.

Last edited:

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Kathy Q taking one of Dave's cruises?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We were scheduled to leave May 20 on a fantastic trip with Scenic that starts in Prague for a 10-day land tour with 3 days in Prague, three days in Berlin, two days in Krakow, and two days in Warsaw. The land tour ends in Budapest where a 15 day river cruise begins and ends in Amsterdam. We had been planning this for almost a year.

But unfortunately I fell in the church parking lot after services and suffered multiple rib fractures. I won't be healed in time to go so last Thursday we canceled the trip. Fortunately we bought trip insurance. So I'd just like to add the advice of buying trip insurance whatever cruise you decide on. You never know what's going to happen from one day to the next.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen, I hope you heal soon.
Trip insurance is a must. My wife has had 2 accidents on Dave's cruises but TravelGuard came through to help us.
Next cruise is to Bordeaux with Dave in July. Rich

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
...But unfortunately I fell in the church parking lot after services and suffered multiple rib fractures. I won't be healed in time to go so last Thursday we canceled the trip. Fortunately we bought trip insurance. So I'd just like to add the advice of buying trip insurance whatever cruise you decide on. You never know what's going to happen from one day to the next.
Oh, Karen, I'm sorry you had to cancel, but having been there, having trip insurance is a savior. You will find that filing a claim is a pain, but take it a day at a time. I'll drop you a PM with some stuff we learned from our claim a few months ago.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Kaye

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
...., Kathy Q, just came back from a trip with them, and LOVED it. She is getting a group together to go next year...

I was Kathy's companion on the Amawaterways tour last Oct. We did love the cruise line, but for both of us it was our first river cruises. I am part of her group for next Oct out of Paris. I look forward to many future cruises on this line, and more trips of any kind. with Kathy

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen, I hope you heal soon.
Trip insurance is a must. My wife has had 2 accidents on Dave's cruises but TravelGuard came through to help us.
Next cruise is to Bordeaux with Dave in July. Rich

Hi Rich, I would be very interested in hearing how you liked your Bordeaux trip, and which cruise line you went on. Thanks !

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Rich, I would be very interested in hearing how you liked your Bordeaux trip, and which cruise line you went on. Thanks !
Obviously I'm not Rich, but Dave books all his river cruises with AMAWaterways.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
After a tremendous amount of dithering and handwringing, I have managed to book a European river cruise. 8 days on Uniworld out of Bordeaux this October before my daughter's wedding blessing in Bern hosted by the groom's family. We will rent a car and drive from Bordeaux to Bern stopping for a few nights along the way. Very excited! Uniworld looks pretty deluxe. The all inclusive part of the cruise that includes all tips, all alcohol, and all shore excursions really appeals to me. And the excursions with bikes will appeal to my husband.

Thanks to my fellow Tuggers for all the excellent info and links !