• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Roofing problem

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manufactured products have failures over time. There are 2 primary types of fails: manufacturing related fails and wear out fails. If one plots failures vs time, the failure rate is typically high in the initial time period for a very short time (manufacturing related fails), decreases to a very low rate for a significant time, then starts to increase again rapidly as the product eventually wears out. A plot of this phenomena is often called a "bathtub curve" as it looks like the cross section of a bathtub.

The intent of a warranty is to get the consumer past the early fails and into the longer period of very few fails -- the bottom of the bathtub. Obviously, a manufacturer isn't going to extend the warranty to anywhere near where the wear-out related fails commence -- that's financial suicide. So, given that, one would expect a quality 15 year shingle to still be performing in the low fail period at 15 years, and in normal circumstances, well beyond that. (Just like one expects a car to be in the low fail rate area at 36K miles and well beyond.)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Same company, we had a weak agent, we got dropped, kept our three cars with them. And we have three houses now, so they lost a lot of business, and we haven't had a claim since, I believe ten years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Had State Farm not kept our homeowner's policy we would have moved all of our insurance elsewhere. I think our agent knew that. We never threatened, he just went ahead and took it on himself to keep us as customers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
in florida homeowners insurance companies will make you replace your roof before the 20 year mark or they wont renew your coverage...and no other insurance company will write you a policy until the roof has been replaced.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
in florida homeowners insurance companies will make you replace your roof before the 20 year mark or they wont renew your coverage...and no other insurance company will write you a policy until the roof has been replaced.
Regardless of material?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good question, im not sure...but it is for any shingle roof regardless of the "warranty" or condition of the roof itself.

huge scam in florida is upselling the "50 year warranty" shingles...knowing full well they have to replace them at 20 no matter what.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In Florida, homeowners insurance companies will make you replace your roof before the 20 year mark or they won't renew your coverage...and no other insurance company will write you a policy until the roof has been replaced.

It's why I can't get out of my Allstate policy.
I should prolly be grateful they keep renewing us, even with 24 year-old shingles.

I suspect that metal roofs might get a special dispensation.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
good question, im not sure...but it is for any shingle roof regardless of the "warranty" or condition of the roof itself.

huge scam in florida is upselling the "50 year warranty" shingles...knowing full well they have to replace them at 20 no matter what.

I didn't know this, thanks for the info. This means I will have to replace my roof before my ninetieth birthday, and I thought this one would be my last!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I live in New York and I have those 50 year shingles and I actually believed they would last that long and this would be our last roof. I really wanted a metal roof but couldn't find someone who installed them. I assume they almost last forever. I am so sorry we didn't sell our house years ago. Now we will be selling it just when it will need a roof supposedly. Another thing amongst others that will be against us.

It is such a shame as we have a beautiful home and property. We can't afford to sell and we can't afford to buy (or even rent) with all these grabs by insurance companies and the government (school and property taxes). We had better get ready to retire to a trailer - or maybe even a tent- the rate we are going.....:(

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in New York and I have those 50 year shingles and I actually believed they would last that long and this would be our last roof. I really wanted a metal roof but couldn't find someone who installed them. I assume they almost last forever. I am so sorry we didn't sell our house years ago. Now we will be selling it just when it will need a roof supposedly. Another thing amongst others that will be against us.

It is such a shame as we have a beautiful home and property. We can't afford to sell and we can't afford to buy (or even rent) with all these grabs by insurance companies and the government (school and property taxes). We had better get ready to retire to a trailer - or maybe even a tent- the rate we are going.....:(

If there are no hurricanes and tornadoes in the area, a lovely mobile home may be a less expensive option. One of our clients in our old job lived in an amazing mobile home community but one would not have guessed those were mobile homes. They looked like regular homes with super huge lots with trees and garden. Our client even had a beautiful stream with decorative rocks running in front of her home. We did end up with a condo with a great view instead.

As I have learned, even though it does not leak and may last for another decade or longer, the fact that the shingles are older will turn buyers and insurance companies away. I swear I will not buy another home with shingles. My son bought a new small, relatively cheap home by CA standard, with what looks like ugly asphalt roof. I am now curious what that is rated for.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If there are no hurricanes and tornadoes in the area, a lovely mobile home may be a less expensive option. One of our clients in our old job lived in an amazing mobile home community but one would not have guessed those were mobile homes. They looked like regular homes with super huge lots with trees and garden. Our client even had a beautiful stream with decorative rocks running in front of her home. We did end up with a condo with a great view instead.

As I have learned, even though it does not leak and may last for another decade or longer, the fact that the shingles are older will turn buyers and insurance companies away. I swear I will not buy another home with shingles. My son bought a new small, relatively cheap home by CA standard, with what looks like ugly asphalt roof. I am now curious what that is rated for.

It is awful that insurance companies can dictate how we live. Can't have an oil tank in the ground; can't have a woodstove or fireplace; can't have a certain type of dog; can't have shingles over 10 years old; Can't live more than 5 miles from a firehouse; can't live near water. Hell- maybe the whole insurance business model should be scrapped.

Heck-- you can't get sick- health insurance is a nightmare. Car insurance is crazy- so you can't have a car. Maybe the only thing we can do is die for the life insurance! :p

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I even got Roof Doctor (a company in CA) to certify the roof was good for at least 2 more years, which is pretty standard here when one wants to show that the roof is in good shape, but the buyer would not budge, using his insurance company's word as leverage. I tried getting him to use my insurance company but he wanted to stick to the insurance company he had for years. It was a relatively expensive home and since I did not want to relist the home I just gave him the 14K credit to close the deal.

We sold an old brick colonial style home that belonged to my inlaws. One section of the roof was a flat copper soldered seam seamed roof. One of the perspective buyers wanted it replaced with asphalt or have the price dropped so they could replace the cooper. They had cash but I told them we wouldn't be dropping the price or replacing the cooper roofing. A few days later they agreed. Im sure their home inspector told them the flat cooper roof was solid.

Even so, we did give up about $8000 for other crap they insisted on just to be done with the house. It was listed at $450,000. I found it odd that the buyer was nickel and diming the deal. That is probably why they could pay cash I guess.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's crazy today. Gosh- when I think about our first house- a handyman special. We accepted that it needed a complete overhaul and paid what the elderly people were asking without a peep. Today buyers would want that type of house for free.