• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change to [Saved HGVC Points] club rules

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 2BR Penthouse Mountain View
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
First off let me state it was never my intention of buying into HGVC to convert points to HC even at 50 to 1. Having said that there do seem to be times when that may be at least be of some benefit. With all the "bogus" points I received when I bought into HCNY I literally had no use for my annual points received year one at HCNY (bonus points can not be used at home resort) so I converted them and as previously stated used them for a week stay in the Boston and Boston area. Not a bad deal but I agree far from great either. I will be burning through the bonus points over the next 18 months and will probably bank next years points into 2019 rather than convert.
These changes CAN be a very slippery slope and hopefully will not lead to further deterioration of benefits in the future. I say with some experience as I am currently involved in a class action suite with a fractional ownership property I have in Hawaii (I am not the lead plantiff) over just this issue, deterioration of initial benefits and a massively changed fee schedule.

Nomad, you can use your bonus points to pay maintenance fees until they expire or are used up. Just a thought.

Kevin

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off let me state it was never my intention of buying into HGVC to convert points to HC even at 50 to 1. Having said that there do seem to be times when that may be at least be of some benefit.

And it can still be done with next year's points. Saved points it can't, and this year need to go into a reservation. Next year can be converted same as always, for those that want to do it.

Cheers.

specialK1234

Reaction score
Count me as one who is extremely upset.

Regardless of whether or not it's economical to convert to HHonors, it was a primary selling point with me. I travel for business...a lot...enough to have been Diamond level for several years.

Whether by lack of planning on my part or being way too busy to use my points, the ability to convert points was/is a significant advantage to me. When rules were changed in Jan this year to allow converting saved points, I was thrilled. That ability was a huge factor in my vacation plans this year.

Since I was planning on converting a few thousand 2016 saved points into HHonors points, getting an email at noon telling me that my ability to do so expired 5 hours earlier was more than upsetting.

I think I sae the word "disingenuous" in one of the earlier posts. I can't think of a better word.

serf

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Head
There was an announcement on 7/5 that you could no longer convert your points all at once to HH points. Does this mean if I want to use my HGVC points for a 1 or two night stay say I am traveling Europe or something, I need to pay a $70 additional conversion fee for every night I stay in a different hotel? Also has anyone notice a big increase in the HH points needed /night at a hilton hotel. I used to see an occasional Hampton for 8k now nothing is under 20K/night. When I was sold the HGVC membership I really did not want to be locked into a few resorts because I like to see more places, but the sales person really emphasized that I could convert points and stay a mid level hiltons for my annual points. Now looks like it will cost me about $250 in value to stay in an $89/night hilton property. If this is the case I am really feeling lied to. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Edit from Moderator: This post was merged into this thread because it was on the same topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Count me as one who is extremely upset.

Regardless of whether or not it's economical to convert to HHonors, it was a primary selling point with me. I travel for business...a lot...enough to have been Diamond level for several years.

Whether by lack of planning on my part or being way too busy to use my points, the ability to convert points was/is a significant advantage to me. When rules were changed in Jan this year to allow converting saved points, I was thrilled. That ability was a huge factor in my vacation plans this year.

Since I was planning on converting a few thousand 2016 saved points into HHonors points, getting an email at noon telling me that my ability to do so expired 5 hours earlier was more than upsetting.

I think I sae the word "disingenuous" in one of the earlier posts. I can't think of a better word.

I agree 100%. I actually posted a thread a few weeks ago about what to do with some extra points I have that will expire Dec 31 and I WAS going to convert them to HHonors points, but now I can't, unless I call and book a reservation and then convert them. It seems a lot of wasted time and energy and that will simply mean more wasted unused points and pure profit for Hilton.

specialK1234

Reaction score
LOLOLOL. Just one more tidbit in this saga.

I went back to the 20 Jan 17 email (Club Traveler) that originally announced we could convert saved (rescued) points to HHonors points.

The email starts with a short blurb called "Meet the Newest Club Enhancements," which introduces the concepts, then you're invited to "Read More" by clicking on a link.

Well, when you click that link today, it takes you to a page which states, "You are not authorized to access this page."

A little shady? Or is "sleazy" the right word?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am confused by what "saved" points are. In December, we bank our points for a new year into the following year e.g. last December we banked 2017 to 2018. Is this considered saving points?

The points you banked are "saved" points. There's no distinction between banking a future-year's allotment (f/k/a "deposit") and a current-year allotment (f/k/a "rescue"). Used to be, but now, all banked points are "saved" points. Previously, only deposited points could be converted to HHonors. When they dropped the distinction, they allowed saved points to be converted, but have taken that candy bowl away.

To posters upset with losing a 1:50 ratio: I'm confused. Wouldn't converting saved points be at 1:20, just like current-year points? Don't you only get 1:50 (or 1:25) if you convert next-year's points, before 12/31?

Depositing saved points to RCI is a far better way to preserve them than using a 1:20 ratio anyway.

Now that HGVC is independent of Hilton Hotels, we can expect further tinkering with HHonors in the future. I wonder if elevated Silver & Gold status will go next, or if HGVC considers them a marketing tool that's too important to lose.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
There was an announcement on 7/5 that you could no longer convert your points all at once to HH points. Does this mean if I want to use my HGVC points for a 1 or two night stay say I am traveling Europe or something, I need to pay a $70 additional conversion fee for every night I stay in a different hotel? Also has anyone notice a big increase in the HH points needed /night at a hilton hotel. I used to see an occasional Hampton for 8k now nothing is under 20K/night. When I was sold the HGVC membership I really did not want to be locked into a few resorts because I like to see more places, but the sales person really emphasized that I could convert points and stay a mid level hiltons for my annual points. Now looks like it will cost me about $250 in value to stay in an $89/night hilton property. If this is the case I am really feeling lied to. Is anyone else experiencing the same?
Welcome Serf :hi:
There's a separate thread discussing the HH points announcement - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/change-to-saved-hgvc-points-club-rules.258880/

Edit from Moderator: This post and @serf was merged into this thread because it was on the same topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think the main issue for me it that they did not give any advanced notice, just woke up to an email that the conversion was over. I do understand that the conversion may not be the best use of points, but I was planning on a conversion near the end of the year, but those plans are changed now.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
This seems a bit odd that this feature was only announced earlier this year, and now they roll it back without any advance notice...

Personally I have never converted my HGVC to HHonors, as i earn enough of those anyways and never seem to have enough HGVC points for what i want...

That said, just last week i discovered I have some points that were returned to my account after a reservation change where "saved" points. I was thinking of changing those to Honors, but decided to wait until closer to the year-end..

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think the main issue for me it that they did not give any advanced notice, just woke up to an email that the conversion was over. I do understand that the conversion may not be the best use of points, but I was planning on a conversion near the end of the year, but those plans are changed now.
Just bad person PR and a disregard for its members. Hgvc is the only brand name I own because I felt they were the fairest to their members. I am disappointed in how this was handled.

Whether the conversion was originally allowed as a mistake, or they just decided it didn't benefit them, whether it was a good benefit or not, are not the issues. I agree, the issue is they did not give any advance notice.

I always buy what I like and would use, even in the Hgvc system, in case rules change. Seems the major systems haves been slowing making changes that affect members.

Reaction score
I booked a Hilton hotel via HGVC conversion into HHonors and other than the wait on the phone, the process was relatively easy. I am not encouraging people to do it, I am only saying it is now just a two step process with some other limitations compared to earlier in the year.

jwayne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bad person PR and a disregard for its members. Hgvc is the only brand name I own because I felt they were the fairest to their members. I am disappointed in how this was handled.

Whether the conversion was originally allowed as a mistake, or they just decided it didn't benefit them, whether it was a good benefit or not, are not the issues. I agree, the issue is they did not give any advance notice.

I always buy what I like and would use, even in the Hgvc system, in case rules change. Seems the major systems haves been slowing making changes that affect members.

I am disappointed in the fact that HGVC is continually reducing benefits. This reduction of benefits has been going on since the plan to go public without Hilton. To me, without Hilton, HGVC is nothing but just another slimy timeshare organization. Every "owner" should be concerned.
The sales people told me that they had to save money to satisfy shareholders. We are no longer first; the shareholders are.

RJC356

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGCV West 57th NYC
"Sleazy" the right word - describing the whole pattern of behavior we have begun to see from HGVC. I am relatively new to this site and am quite impressed by the quality and insightfulness of the posts. Nomad420 mentioned a class action he is involved in with another fractional ownership deal. I very much see the "slippery slope" he mentions developing right before our eyes. The loss of Gold status may be the next shoe to drop. I intend to keep a close watch on HGVC's actions in the coming months, and reread my contracts! While one can argue our criticism will devalue the HGVC brand to our detriment, I see no choice but for us to call them out, and do so loudly, lest they just continue to erode away the benefits they promised when they sold the timeshares. I'd be game to be a lead plaintiff if they want to test our mettle. Cheers to all!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Test your mettle all you want, but you'd be tilting at windmills. As previously noted, the "club" is subject to the rules which HGVC makes, including the one that says they can change the rules and even terminate the club at any time. I'm not suggesting that they would -- it wouldn't be good for sales.

Bear in mind that we were never able to convert "saved" points before this year, so this is more like taking away a candy-bowl we'd just been handed (Opps!), and not a significant reduction in benefits. Still, we prolly see little nibbles around the margins in the future.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has to remember that as Talent312 stated we got this option this year (option definitely not a perk) and no one can claim that this is what they used to do.

That said, they can take away all the Hilton honors parts and this would still be a good product.

Everyone is different but as long as I can exchange within the club program and occasionally within RCI I'm all good.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... That said, they can take away all the Hilton honors parts and this would still be a good product. Everyone is different but as long as I can exchange within the club program and occasionally within RCI I'm all good.

Agreed. If HGVC's tie-in with HHonors disappeared tomorrow, I doubt that I'd be affected.
I know some think it a necessary component, but consider what you'd do without it.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree the ability to convert saved points was new this year. But didn't you used to be able to convert current and borrowed points to HHonors without simultaneously booking a room?

I wonder how this change will impact the sales pitch when they go on about building up giant wad of honors points to use when you retire.

Personally, i think the only time I have converted was for some otherwise orphaned points.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
But didn't you used to be able to convert current and borrowed points to HHonors without simultaneously booking a room?

Before this year, you could not convert current or borrowed points w/o booking a room.
To use current or borrowed points, you had to book a room based on a 20:1 ratio...
But, if you later cancelled the room, the points were returned to the HH account.
"Converting" was only with next year's points. The HH points did not post until January.

Thus, the status quo has been restored.
I wonder if Hilton Hotels had a hand in this, saying they never agreed to the change.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I agree the ability to convert saved points was new this year. But didn't you used to be able to convert current and borrowed points to HHonors without simultaneously booking a room?

The answer is NO.

From the 3rd post in the TUG Sticky thread dated 2009
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-hilton-hgvc-advice-article-links.58716/

HGVC AND HILTON HONORS
Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) and Hilton HHonors are two separate programs.
You have two options to use HGVC points with HHonors.

(1) Transfer your points from one program to another (HGVC points to HHonor points)
PROs: You get 25 HHonor points for each HGVC point.
CONS: You cannot transfer/convert HGVC points to HHonor points in the current year. You must plan ahead and request conversion before Dec 31 of the current year, for the following year's allocation of HGVC points. HGVC points are not deposited into your HHonors account until the first week of January of the following year.
NOTE: Converted HHonors points may not be converted back to HGVC points

(2) Make Hotel Reservations using HGVC points
PROs: You can use a combination of HHonor points and HGVC Club Points (from the current year and/or borrow from next year) to make your hotel reservation
CONs: You get 20 HHonor points for each HGVC point (less points for not planning in advance)
NOTE: HGVC points can not be returned to your HGVC account if you cancel your hotel reservations. They will be refunded as HHonors points

Last edited:

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
You are now able to convert SAME YEAR HGV Club points to hilton honors points at a rate of 20 to one. If you convert by December 31 for the following year it's 25 to one.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You are now able to convert SAME YEAR HGV Club points to hilton honors points at a rate of 20 to one. If you convert by December 31 for the following year it's 25 to one.

Your ratios are correct, but you're not so much converting as you are booking.
From the 1st post in this topic:

"You may continue to convert current-year ClubPoints and borrowed Points...
only when you secure a hotel reservation at the time of conversion by
contacting a Club Counselor." (emphasis added)

... Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was... -- Talking Heads

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
On another related thread, that will no longer accept replies, (HGVC: Major Change on Points Options) dfrederick10 stated the following:

"Also that after this year, resort points can no longer be saved for another year.
WHY ARE THE HGVC OWNERS NOT UP IN ARMS ABOUT THIS? THIS IS PURE FRAUD!!"

Is this a joke? The other comments on the thread were related to the issue of converting current years points to Hilton Honors. But saving resort points to another year is important in my points management plans.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Responding to dfredrick10 in another thread, where he said:
"HGVC says their policy has changed and resort points cannot be converted to Hilton Honors but must be used [for] an immediate reservation at another resort. Also that after this year, resort points can no longer be saved for another year."
--------------------------------

Both statements are incorrect.
I'm not sure if he misunderstood the changes or is intentionally trolling.

1. It's true that you cannot convert current & borrowed points to hold in your HH account and must instead make an immediate reservation. HOWEVER:
-- (1) The reservation can be made for a hotel, not just "at another resort;"
-- (2) you can convert next year's points to hold 'em (that's unchanged); and
-- (3) while significant to some, this merely rolls back the policy to how it always was, before this year.

2. No where has it been said that they eliminated point-banking -- that's a fundamental TS attribute. You will be able to save 2018 points for use in 2019... you just have to wait until 2018 to do it. That's becuz point-banking can now only be done with same-year points. It's "depositing" future-year points that disappeared.

Last edited: