• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Total Eclipse of the Sun across the USA August 21, 2017! Where will you be?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Timeshare Von, I'd be concerned about slow traffic if traveling any distance. I think people will be lining the highways and traffic to get to a viewing spot will be heavy. I know that in St. Joe, Missouri, you can get a ticket for the airport parking lot, and in Jefferson City, Missouri, there are parks that will be set aside for viewing. Columbia has the campus area to use plus parks.

Thanks for the suggestion Pat. I'll be doing my game plan and making the most of it. If I don't get into an area of total eclipse of the weather is crummy, I've got other things to see and do. I realize it is probably less than a 50/50 crap shoot on whether or not I'll get to actually experience it. My expectations are set rather low, hoping for the best.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have a reservation in Columbia,MO. I have family in a small town of Mexico, MO and Harrisonville MO. if the weather looks unfavorable I could cancel our reservation and head north to Geneva, NE.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've changed plans. Royal Caribbean altered the course for Oasis of the Seas in order to be in position for the eclipse, so we've booked the week of Aug 20 on the Oasis. At least, the captain should be able to position us somewhere without clouds.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Sitting around the pool at Marriott OceanWatch.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We haven't cancelled our hotel reservation for Jefferson City, Missouri, yet even though we're going to be viewing from a ship now. Rooms along the eclipse path are almost non-existant and very expensive now. If anyone would like to see if our reservation (Baymont Inn, about $100 a night) could be transferred, let me know.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
My plans have been changed due to work commitments . . . I'll be staying in Milwaukee, where there will be very little eclipsing.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much made the command decision to stay home. Crowds are expected to be insane just N. of here in the area of totality, but we'll have 97%. I'll settle for that, barring an invite.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be @Timbers at Island Park, ID that week (thank you Trading Places Intl!) but I'm planning to drive south to Rexburg. Hopefully, it won't be that congested.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
A Total Eclipse Will Sweep the U.S. in August, and People Are Going Nuts For It
By Laurel Wamsley/ The Two-Way:Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"On Monday, Aug. 21, a solar eclipse will be visible across America. The last time the contiguous United States saw a total eclipse was 1979, and it will be the first coast-to-coast solar eclipse in 99 years, reports The Associated Press.

A partial eclipse will be visible throughout the United States, according to NASA. But within a band that the agency is calling the "path of totality" stretching from Oregon to South Carolina, viewers will witness a total eclipse. And in many of those places, an eclipse industry is already booming.

The mayor of Hopkinsville, Ky., says his town has spent more than half a million dollars preparing for the event since learning 10 years ago that the area would be in the path of totality.

The town even has an eclipse coordinator.

"It'll look like twilight outside. You'll be able to see stars. Four planets will be visible — Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Mercury. You'll notice the temperature drop about 5 to 10 degrees," the coordinator, Brooke Jung, told the AP. "You'll notice that animals will get a little disoriented. Birds will think that it's nighttime and go in to roost. Some of the flowers and plants that close up at night will close up."

"If it's cloudy, then we'll just have to deal with that reality as best we can and help people get to other locations," Mayor Carter Hendricks told the AP. "But, if somehow we overprepare and we're underwhelmed by the crowd size, that's a big concern for me."...."

ap_17173674204951-f9704ee9ce384762f650fc62141ac2aaad3adfc1-s800-c85.jpg

A June ad for campsites in the small town of Madras, Ore., anticipates the influx of tourists expected in the prime viewing location for the Aug. 21 total solar eclipse.

Gillian Flaccus/AP

Richard

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We'll be on the Oasis of the Seas which will be heading to the point of maximum viewing for the event-----hoping hurricanes don't mess with us.
That will be a neat trick that the captain does with the ship, since the point of maximum viewing / center point of the eclipse is in the SE corner of Nebraska! :D

Although you probably won't have to worry about hurricanes there...

Kurt

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We definitely won't be at maximum (when I typed "maximum" I meant, but didn't say, "maximum point for the area where we are), but we will be in the total eclipse path. We were originally at Jefferson City, Missouri, and that's quite close to what our map says is the maximum, which occurs at Columbia, Missouri (2 minutes 41 seconds). Mid Nebraska is 2 minutes 39 seconds. Off the coast appears to be between 2 minutes 20 seconds and 2 minutes 30 seconds, about the same as Idaho Falls.

I'm assuming that the 10-11 seconds won't make a significant difference in the experience, and I know the experience will be different at sea than it is on land--on the other hand, we won't be driving.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It should be fun seeing it from the ship. I would think being on a boat you will have a better chance than most to be cloud-free, since the captain can maneuver to a clear spot if necessary. Sounds like a fun trip!

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be fun seeing it from the ship. I would think being on a boat you will have a better chance than most to be cloud-free, since the captain can maneuver to a clear spot if necessary. Sounds like a fun trip!

Kurt
Not to rain on the parade, but according to NASA, "Roughly 67 percent of the sky over water is cloudy, and more than half of that area is densely overcast. Just about half of the total land area is usually covered with clouds and only 15 percent is thickly blanketed."

Not good odds for an ocean-based viewing (book for the cruise, think of the eclipse as a possible bonus); I hope the cruisers beat the odds. It is a convenient marketing plan for the cruise, but I will bet on being the captain of my car, and sending it in the direction of the best odds for viewing the National Eclipse based on the latest possible forecast from the National Weather Service.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm hoping we didn't blunder by giving up the Jefferson City location we had. I feel sure the captain will try his best to get the ship to a good spot. I'm thinking positive thoughts; it's paid for so might as well.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bump.

16 days and counting...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Start Time: Map of When to Watch In Each State In Totality Path
By Hannah Osborne/ Tech & Science/ Newsweek/ newsweek.com

"On August 21, a total solar eclipse will cross the U.S., with the path of totality moving from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean.

People within the path of totality, weather permitting, will be able to watch the moon pass in front of the sun and eventually block out its light. At this point, the sky will go dark for approximately two-and-a-half minutes.

The total solar eclipse will go through 10 states: Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina. The times the eclipse will be at its maximum in the map below are all local. They represent the point at which the sun will be completely blocked out. The eclipse begins just over an hour before. Also included is a list of when the eclipse starts in each of the states it moves through, the point of maximum totality and when it will all be officially over...."

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score