• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

College text books ... cost more and more .... now a fund raising request by college.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So my undergrad college sends me emails ... fund raisers, endowment suggestions, will planning, homecoming dates, class reunions, etc.

The latest one ... TODAY's daily email ... is a fund raising to fund an endownment to help students pay for college text books.

OK ... don't recall prior years requests for text book help specifically ... but back in the dark ages ... I slopped food at breakfast (6AM report time 5 times a week), worked afternoons in the computer center and SHARED text books with my roommate ... (for 14 books required purchase for 1 class one semester).... but never got no help paying for the books. And sometimes ... just posted bulletin board requests from other students looking to buy or sell a USED BOOK.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
They should do away with the book industry and go all online. One of the "books" my daughter had to purchase last year was like a ream of paper from the photocopy shop. Textbooks are such a racket.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
They should do away with the book industry and go all online. One of the "books" my daughter had to purchase last year was like a ream of paper from the photocopy shop. Textbooks are such a racket.

I'm sure the authors of the articles and book excerpts in that ream of photocopied paper are delighted that their work is being used without royalties being paid.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I'm sure the authors of the articles and book excerpts in that ream of photocopied paper are delighted that their work is being used without royalties being paid.
I don't think it was that kind of book, but don't know for sure.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was floored to discover just recently that kids in High School today now have to buy books for classes...and they rival the costs of some college text books. (and this is even at public schools).

I remember what books cost when I went to college, and can only cringe at what they must cost now 20 years down the road...but high school text books now? Im not sure why I was so surprised...but such is life!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I was floored to discover just recently that kids in High School today now have to buy books for classes...and they rival the costs of some college text books. (and this is even at public schools).

I remember what books cost when I went to college, and can only cringe at what they must cost now 20 years down the road...but high school text books now? Im not sure why I was so surprised...but such is life!
Are you sure that wasn't for the kids taking college-credit courses at high schools?

Kurt

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nope...regular high school textbook...kid is just a sophomore too.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score

I remember what books cost when I went to college, and can only cringe at what they must cost now 20 years down the road...but high school text books now? I'm not sure why I was so surprised...but such is life!

That is just so WRONG and out of date for available technology today. Kids might need a LENTED laptop loaded with GRADE and CLASS materials with high speed WIFI ... before books can/should be brought by their families.

And those school district's (the owner) of these laptops better have GPS locators inside these machines and software firmware lockout.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, public school

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids in public school in NJ do not have to buy their own textbooks. I think that might be a Florida thing.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea, i was pretty stunned to hear it. I had also assumed private school as well...but was not the case.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How are they accommodating students who cannot afford the textbooks? Are they using F/R program qualifications as a metric to determine potential aid?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
yea, i was pretty stunned to hear it. I had also assumed private school as well...but was not the case.
That is certainly not the norm. So you heard it, but not firsthand knowledge?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for a COLLEGE asking for alumni donations for buying college text books ... please. And an endowment to fund books .. a permanent fund ... with all the costs to manage and invest.

Financial aide should cover those costs of books ... as real of a cost as tuition, room and board.

The Student Association could run a 'Resale Book Swap/Sale' for the first week of each term.

School restricted swap site ... your old text books gives you points to 'swap' for your new semester's used books.

Professors could donate their 'promo' copies to the library ... for in library use only.

Perhaps, colleges should have an endowment for buying cars for commuting students as resident students get dorm and cafeteria covered by financial aide packages.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it was a family friend whos child is in high school...so im not sure why shed make it up.

perhaps its only for select classes as mentioned above, or perhaps its just a really affluent school district and everyone can afford to give the kids books...or perhaps there are a certain number of loaner books available to a certain number of students.

I dunno...it just came up in a passing conversation where a nursing student going for her BSN was complaining about how much HER books cost for that semester...and then the mom mentioned a similar complaint about the books for her high school son.

I went to public school, i certainly dont recall having to pay for any books (unless we had damaged them and thus needed replacing). I even remember making book covers for them all with the brown paper grocery bags!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
First week of school .. brown paper bags, tape and scissors ... homework to keep the books nice.

and I carried mine under my arm, no backpacks. It was a big incentive to do homework in study hall rather than goof off, less books to carry home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scam.

Text books are waaaaaaaaay past their overdue date.

Time for parents of school aged children, or those that will be, to STAND UP, and eliminate them. Can you get up?

Can you say, scam? From educators no less. How hypocritical.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
and I carried mine under my arm, no backpacks. It was a big incentive to do homework in study hall rather than goof off, less books to carry home.
Funny you mention that -- I never used a backpack (or owned one) until college. I always schlepped my books and notebooks back and forth from school under my arm as well.

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Kids in public school in NJ do not have to buy their own textbooks. I think that might be a Florida thing.

Maybe they should raise their taxes- Tee Hee......:D

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent textbooks nowaways for a fraction of the cost. Also, I've heard that a lot of engineering textbooks are online now. Textbooks are a terrible racket. I remember when I was in college, my professors would frequently be the authors of the book, and of course each year there was a new edition requiring purchase of the new, not used, textbook. That was how the professors made bank of the backs of the poor college student. Sounds like not much has changed.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent textbooks nowaways for a fraction of the cost. Also, I've heard that a lot of engineering textbooks are online now. Textbooks are a terrible racket. I remember when I was in college, my professors would frequently be the authors of the book, and of course each year there was a new edition requiring purchase of the new, not used, textbook. That was how the professors made bank of the backs of the poor college student. Sounds like not much has changed.
Renting is not much cheaper than buying, and you can at least get some money selling back to the bookstore, or to another student. Most colleges have book exchanges. But that can all be a hassle, too. I agree the frequent updates to textbooks is a racket. I teach at a college, and we keep a textbook edition as long as we can, since the basic facts have not changed. Current event references is what finally makes us do an update. Students have not liked the e-books available.
I passed along a sample of a textbook from a different publisher that would engage the students at a much lower price. The department had the 'we've always done it this way' attitude, because of course, a new book would mean new lesson plans.
There is a value to old fashioned reading. It works the brain in ways that make us smarter, delay dementia, etc. But the price for textbooks is ridiculous compared to fiction and non-fiction for the general public.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

I pay between $1000 and $2000 each semester for my son. His major is finance and minor in advertising. I buy the books used. This is such a huge racket

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry Brian but I'm not sure that makes sense.
It looks like Florida law requires free textbooks for each student in kindergarten through grade 12 for the subject areas of mathematics, language arts, science, social studies, reading, and literature.

http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/01/09/23/10923.pdf