• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If my T/S has no rescind policy

Deshawn Bogan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villas
I've not gotten any good reviews regarding Westgate T/S . Starting 2 feel like I made a huge mistake. Westgate told me there was no rescind policy upfront. I bought it anyways thinking it was a good purchase how can I get out without 2 many fees attached? Or can I actually rent it out like planned and make up the monthly payment.?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It is not up to the timeshare company -- your right to rescind is guaranteed by state law. If you post where you bought, I'm sure someone here will let you know how many days you have to rescind.

Kurt

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you are within your rescission period (based on the state you bought in)...do it immediately!

youll find the instructions in some cases hidden within the spine of the binder they gave you in a velcro pocket.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I've not gotten any good reviews regarding Westgate T/S . Starting 2 feel like I made a huge mistake. Westgate told me there was no rescind policy upfront. I bought it anyways thinking it was a good purchase how can I get out without 2 many fees attached? Or can I actually rent it out like planned and make up the monthly payment.?

If you own at Westgate Villas, they are not even worth pennies on the resale market. When did you make your purchase? You will want nothing to do with Westgate and their salesmen who lie for a living. Now is your only chance to rescind and free yourself of a lifetime of maintenance fees.

Look for your recession instructions. Are you within the allotted time period to rescind? Are the rescission instructions on a CD? Are they hidden in a binder?

The following threads will help you with the correct address and how to find the hidden rescission instructions...

Good luck!

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/westgate-cancellation-secret-pocket.html

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2008-successful-cancellation-of-westgate-purchase.73564/

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Don't believe what they told you at the sales presentation. If you purchased in the United States, you will have some type of rescission period. Can be as low as 3 days or as high as 10 days. Read through your paperwork and look for the details on how to rescind. It isn't beyond Westgate to hide this information or even omit it (illegally).

Deshawn Bogan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villas
If you own at Westgate Villas, they are not even worth pennies on the resale market. When did you make your purchase? You will want nothing to do with Westgate and their salesmen who lie for a living. Now is your only chance to rescind and free yourself of a lifetime of maintenance fees.

Look for your recession instructions. Are you within the allotted time period to rescind? Are the rescission instructions on a CD? Are they hidden in a binder?

The following threads will help you with the correct address and how to find the hidden rescission instructions...

Good luck!

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2008-successful-cancellation-of-westgate-purchase.73564/
I found last sheet of my contract rescinding info ..im going 2 do it today Thank u

Deshawn Bogan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villas

Good luck!

Yes it was on the CD .. must i pay 2 return all these items as well ..binder & tablet ? I dont want them contact me 4 it later

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes it was on the CD .. must i pay 2 return all these items as well ..binder & tablet ? I dont want them contact me 4 it later
Yes, you should return all of those items, but your FIRST priority is to send the rescission letter. Get that letter in the mail and postmarked by the deadline, then worry about sending back any promotional materials you may have received.

Kurt

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should return all of those items, but your FIRST priority is to send the rescission letter. Get that letter in the mail and postmarked by the deadline, then worry about sending back any promotional materials you may have received.

Agree with all of the above, but want to suggest using certified U.S. Mail for the rescission letter, in order to obtain documentary proof of postmark date.
Just state in the rescission letter that all other materials will be returned "under separate cover", then return that junk by the cheapest means available.

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
The address:

Westgate
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, FL 34761

Here's an example of a letter...

To whom it may concern:
We want to cancel our contract immediately with Westgate Villas / Westgate Resorts, Inc. to purchase a timeshare interest in the Westgate Villas; Contract/Account Number XXXXXXXXXX-XXX .We are exercising our legal right to cancel this contract. We expect a full refund of our down payment of $XXXX.

Make sure all who signed the contract sign the rescission letter.

You can have some great vacations with your family and friends with timeshares, but purchasing a timeshare should not be something done on impulse. Once you send out your rescission letter (certified with return receipt) relax and hang around TUG awhile. See if timesharing is a fit for you and your family.

Deshawn Bogan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villas
I sent everything back within 10 days and now what do i do? How will i know they cancelled it? Will they email or call? They have my card info and it was set up 2 take a payment off October 5th and i dont wanna cancel my card because thats the same card my return would be deposited too.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent everything back within 10 days and now what do i do? How will i know they cancelled it? Will they email or call? They have my card info and it was set up 2 take a payment off October 5th and i dont wanna cancel my card because thats the same card my return would be deposited too.

I hope you mean your rescission was postmarked within 10 days and that you can prove it with a date stamped certified mail receipt issued at a USPS counter.

Westgate has no obligation whatsoever to "update" you at any time in the cancellation process. Their only obligation is to process a timely and properly submitted rescission and issue a 100% refund within 45 days (however, it may well not actually take that long). They need do no more and no less.

Westgate Weasels might call you in a desperate effort to salvage the sale (and their disappearing commission). Do not answer those calls. Oral conversation has absolutely no legal meaning in a contract matter anyhow, so don't waste your time or breath. Be patient; the law is on your side --- and they know that.
Let the law do its' work for you now and just stay out of the way.

You should probably contact your credit card issuer directly and let them know that any further charges to the card by Westgate are not authorized and that you are expecting a full refund / credit of the amount already charged by Westgate, perhaps filing a formal dispute of that charge in the meantime to be safe. The filed dispute should not interfere with your refund being credited right back to that card. After all is done, cancel that card and get a new card number.
Personally, I would not want my valid credit card number known by anyone even remotely associated with the slimy likes of Westgate.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
How will i know they cancelled it? Will they email or call?

As Theo said above, it's possible they will call in an attempt to change your mind. By one stretch, that's good. That means they got your rescission letter on time.

The best way to know is to watch your credit card activity.

KrayzieCD

Reaction score
TUG saves another from an absolutely horrible decision, yes!

OP as stated as long as you sent your rescission letter via USPS certified return receipt then you should be in the clear. As long as you have that receipt back from the USPS confirming delivery and included all the details necessary in the letter. At this point, a call from Westgate is great! That means they received it. They'll try to offer you some last minute super deal (much like Welk resorts tried to offer me). Refuse that shit and tell them to 'run me my cash!' (Kindly refund my down payment, good sir). If they don't call, as long as you have that receipt you'll be fine. They probably didn't bother calling because they know you hit the internet and did some searching and know all about their craptacular scheme. I'll be surprised if they actually ask for the binder and zip drive back. I still have mine from Welk. They never asked for it back even after refunding the money. I leave it in clear sight as a reminder to NEVER buy a timeshare from any developer.

When that down payment refund hits your account you'll feel like one of Harriet Tubman's passengers upon arriving in the north. Freedom!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW, whatever call you get won't be from the peep who do refunds - the finance peep.
It'll be from the sales-weasels ("customer care") who aren't there to help w-the refund.
There's no reason to waste your time talking to them.

KrayzieCD

Reaction score
BTW, whatever call you get won't be from the peep who do refunds - the finance peep.
It'll be from the sales-weasels ("customer care") who aren't there to help w-the refund.
There's no reason to waste your time talking to them.

Yeah it's true there's no reason to talk to these fools. But myself I wanted to give the weasel a piece of my mind and run down every lie I uncovered. I read too many stories from frustated Welk owners and was 100% certain this guy wasn't changing mind.

So he tries his pathetic save the sale spiel. I ask why I wasn't offered this deal at first. Dude says it's a foreclosed property that the regular salesman don't have access to sale. No thanks. Then he asks what changed my mind in just one day. Told him I did research and found A LOT of frustrated customers and even listed some of the complaints. A lot of those complaints resulted from direct lies of the salesman. The same lies I had been told. The manager brushes all those off and says for that small number of complaints that there were 10 times as many more satisfied customers. Haha. There were 123 complaints, sorry guy that's not a small number. Anyway I was done talking and told him to please send me confirmation that they received the rescission letter. Which he did even though I understand he didn't have to.

What I noticed after that was the site that I read all those complaints from (BBB), their later complaints about this company all said 'details not available'. Even to this day, all the complaints about that company listed from now until the last one I read (about 12 reviews) dating back to June all say details unavailable except one. I don't know if those weasels found away to have BBB not list the reviews. I also noticed that despite having 96% unfavorable reviews, their rating is still an A+. How is that possible? Makes me think the BBB is just as much of a scam.