• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Beach or Palm Desert in April?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Hi - We have a 2BR booked at Marriott St. Thomas Frenchman's Cove with DP in mid April of 2018 but I am now thinking that we will choose a new destination and put the STT off until 2019.

We are a family of 6 with 4 kids aged 11-16. Been to Orlando parks and resorts several times so were looking for something new. Coming from New England so sun/fun type of destination is desired that time of year.

So - I was looking at what is available during that week. Aruba (our home resort) is booked, Phoenix booked but there are openings at Newport Beach and both of the Palm Desert Villas.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or opinions. April looks a little cool that time of year at Newport Beach and Palm Desert looks super hot but no ocean, maybe less going on with for kids that age etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Newport Beach will be cool in April. Water much too cold for swimming.

Palm Springs should not be super hot at that time, but I always wonder how much there is for kids to do.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will try to get on a waitlist for the Canyon Villas in Phoenix. Or, there are some places in HHI available but also have some concerns about the weather, ocean temps, stuff to do for teenagers etc. there too.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Weather wise - Palm Springs hands down. It will be in the mid 80s +/- . Newport beach will be much cooler. Not terrible, but much too cool for swimming.

As far as activities for kids, Shadow Ridge is known for having great pools that are family friendly. There is great hiking and scenery at Joshua Tree NP, and the Palm Springs Aerial Tram is fun. Good hiking at the top. We truly enjoyed the Palm Springs Aviation Museum but I suppose it would be hit or miss with the kids. You could also do a (long) day trip to Disney if you wanted. There's a ton of golf courses around - maybe you could take the kids to hit a bucket of balls.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I agree with the other respondents, go to Palm Desert. The weather will be delightful. There is a lot for kids to do at the Marriott activity centers. Also, all of the Marriotts in PD have several nice pools. At DSV1/2, you can rent a bike. Perhaps Shadow Ridge as well.

If your kids are in to hiking, take them to Joshua Tree NP, to 1000 Palms Oasis (see water bubbling out of the ground), to Indian Canyons, etc. Marriott does supervised hikes during the cooler months but I'm not positive about April.

At Newport Coast, the ocean never gets particularly warm. The temp of the ocean in August and Sept may sometimes get to 72 or rarely 73 degrees. The pools at NCV are kept warm, but if the air temp isn't warm enough, it'll feel really cool as you leave. In May, there is a fog condition at the coast called "May Gray". In June they call it "June Gloom". Sometimes there is coast fog in April as well.

Both NCV and the PD Marriotts are nice. But I think that you'll enjoy PD a bit more. BTW, there are actually more than two PD properties. Technically, there are five: DSV1, DSV2, DSV-Jasmine court (I'd skip that with kids as it is a bit too quiet and secluded), Shadow Ridge Village and SR-Enclaves (I'd suggest skipping that also because the master BR is separated from the rest of the unit by a sliding wall - - it doesn't do a very good job of sound deadening).

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Great stuff, thanks! My first post here and glad I did. Regarding the multiple properties, would you say the DSV1 or 2 would be the way to prioritize before the others?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Great stuff, thanks! My first post here and glad I did. Regarding the multiple properties, would you say the DSV1 or 2 would be the way to prioritize before the others?
DSV1 would be my choice based upon unit layout. The lockoff has two double beds and is off of a separate foyer. I would think that your kids are old enough for this arrangement. DSV 2 is a more traditional lockoff with the second bedroom having a king bed and a queen sleeper.

There is also Shadow Ridge Villages - not quite as large as DSV1 - and I am not sure of the bed layout. The one that you don't want for your family situation is Shadow Ridge Enclaves.

BigMac

Reaction score
Agree with others that DSV1 is the best choice. You also get access to the main Marriott hotel pools from these villas. The weather is usually great that time of year. In addition to "things to do" suggestions I'd add the Wet & Wild water park in Palm Springs, the Living Desert Zoo in PD. The weekend street fair at the College of the Desert is also worth a visit - even for the kids.

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will try to get on a waitlist for the Canyon Villas in Phoenix. Or, there are some places in HHI available but also have some concerns about the weather, ocean temps, stuff to do for teenagers etc. there too.
Canyon Villas is a great property. We have gone there two years in a row and we loved it! My sons is 12 and really enjoys the activities there.

We have also been to Palm Desert and are going back there in a few weeks. My son plays golf, so he plays a lot there. The PS tram was a lot of fun, so we will probably do that again this year.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I would go with Shadow Ridge Villages (not Enclaves) for kids 11-16. There are a lot of activities, movie theater, mini golf, ping pong, etc, and the pool areas are kid friendly.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Kids and adults alike should enjoy the Living Desert zoo in the Palm Desert area. We always go to Palm Springs in April for Cliff's birthday. Usually just a bit warmer than we'd prefer, high 80s.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Trip booked, ended up breaking up the week due to availability so 3 days at Newport Coast and 5 days at Dester Springs Villas 1. It saved the $15 daily fee to use the JW facilities and it sounds like you can also use the pool at Villas 2 if desired. We got an extra day for the same points compared to St Thomas. Thanks for all the advice.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Trip booked, ended up breaking up the week due to availability so 3 days at Newport Coast and 5 days at Dester Springs Villas 1. It saved the $15 daily fee to use the JW facilities and it sounds like you can also use the pool at Villas 2 if desired. We got an extra day for the same points compared to St Thomas. Thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations! That should be a nice combination and give an opportunity to experience both resorts and areas.

In fact, we will be at Newport Coast from April 22-29 via an II trade followed by 3-4 nights at DSV2 via DC points.

Best regards.

Mike

taffy19

Reaction score
Desert weather should be great but Southern California may surprise you too as it may be quite nice. Who knows what the weather will be from one day to the next in most places today?

Both resorts are very nice and a lot to see and do if you like sightseeing too.