• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you move to Florida ?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Nope, I Snowbird in Steamboat Springs CO. My in laws moved to Siesta Key 20 or so years ago and love it. Can't contact them now as I think they have lost power.

Cheers

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We could definitely become snowbirds. Rent or find a nice little condo for the perfect price. We sold my in-law's in Jupiter about 5 years ago. Not ready at the time to go back and forth and taxes/fees were crazy. Two of my sons are married and live here (one has three kids). Not sure where my daughter will end up but I can't leave them permanently. Home/family/friends all here. If we don't buy something soon - we will just rent - don't want to buy late in life (like my in-laws 70s) and start having medical problems not long after - not that it can't happen now/anytime because it has with hubby at 48. Just a lot to think about!! Fun to speculate :)

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
My sister used to live in Vero Beach and we loved to visit FL in the winter. We went there in August one year and WOW was it hot. I am certainly used to heat and humidity here in VA (and in SC when we're there) but what I am not used to (nor do I want to get used to) is well over 90 degrees and awful humidity at 11:00 at night. So, no, despite the nice winters, I could not live there during the summer. Currently our plan is to retire in HHI, as the winters are mild but there are still 4 seasons.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I found a place called Canyon Lake just west of Murrieta That I like.. no, different than florida in the summer, but close to san diego and the boat
Canyon lake is nice. I had a friend who had a second house there for years.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When the snow flies, the spirit soars!

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
I'm always so surprised when people mention BUGS as a reason not to live in Florida. That's truly the least of my issues with Florida. Having lived in Southeast FL for 25+ years we seldom, if ever, struggle with bugs. We have a pest control company that treats once a quarter and NO bugs in the house. Perhaps in more rural areas, bugs may be a problem, but not in the urban areas.

The humidity, now that's an issue, especially in the summer months. But it's really quite manageable, even in the summer. Just stay indoors from about noon to 4:00 p.m. As Ron mentions upthread, we have three AMAZING months of weather and six good months of weather. That really just leaves three months of brutal weather.

I can pretty much travel during June, July and August and we can basically choose where we want to be those three months. We generally spend the month of June traveling on pleasure and the month of August on Cape Cod, so that leaves July. We usually spend a week in Hilton Head in July, but the other three weeks in South Florida. We choose to spend those three weeks in South Florida over NYC. NY is just miserable for us in the summer. The restaurants are not air conditioned, the subways are hot as hell, and too many tourists reading maps. FL has "proper" air conditioning.... not matched in many places...

Hurricane Irma has me really questioning our long-term plans in retirement. The idea was to have a place on the water on Hilton Head for May - September and winter in Southeast Florida. I'm just not sure now. We've lived through many hurricanes, Andrew, Irene, Frances, Jeanne, Wilma, Matthew, and now Irma. We were SO lucky this time.... The way that the storm was predicted, Palm Beach County was going to be decimated. So, bugs, humidity, traffic, and such really don't make me not love living in FL, but these storms are really not good... Maybe our plan should be summer in Hilton Head and winter in Henderson, Nevada. I've got about 20 years to figure that out, a lot could change in that time...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Weren't we surprised when we went there in July and had to buy heavy hooded sweatshirts from a street vendor. That guy was making a killing off tourists who, like us, assumed that summer in California would be hot.

San Francisco is the exception due to the location. I had fun with cousins (from Florida) who visited in July some years ago and we met in SF, and they were freezing while I was enjoying the weather (as LA had been hot before I left).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
"When we retire we will move to Florida"

This is what I heard and witnessed in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's.
Have many friends and relatives that transplanted to FL over the years. With Andrew in 92, the hurricanes of 2005, now IRMA... What would you think? What would you do?

Florida's population now rivals that of NY. Traffic, heat, humidity.... Don't get me wrong. I love Florida. But when I am 75, 80 yrs of age do I want to put up with the fear of these monster storms?

There are many Floridians here on Tug and my heart goes out to all of the FL residents that have endured this latest storm.

At this moment in time I have told DW that I will not permanently move to FL when we retire. Yes vacation there, but I could not permanently reside there.

What would you do?

Well I live in FL, so yes, I would. Hurricanes are stressful, but so is bad weather in other parts of the country.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Weren't we surprised when we went there in July and had to buy heavy hooded sweatshirts from a street vendor. That guy was making a killing off tourists who, like us, assumed that summer in California would be hot.
Even natives can be surprised. We lived in the East Bay, which is always warmer than San Francisco. There was one day we decided to drive into San Francisco for the day. As we got closer to the bridge the temperature dropped from the 80's into the low 60's. None of us had prepared for that, so we turned around and spent the day in Berkeley.

That said, we just spent a week in San Francisco in May. Got up to almost 100 in the city. And just recently they've had some extremely warm weather. The climate, it be a changing.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We searched diligently just about everywhere below the Mason Dixon line before deciding to move. Florida was the first place we eliminated as a possibility, so no, we wouldn't move there (hurricanes didn't enter into the decision).

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
I would not move to Florida as permanent residence. My 3 children's families all live within 10 minutes of me. They will help me when I have health issues or need help with house. I help them with grandkids. My dear husband died 16 months ago. My kids were here within minutes. The family is my treasure so I want to be near them. I go to Puerto Vallarta for 9 weeks of winter and use my timeshare. The same people go each year so I have friends there.
Ohio has low cost of living, wonderful friends and family. Our timeshare is a good investment in my lifestyle even as a widow!