• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriot Aruba lockoff question

elleny76

Reaction score
Hi, If I buy a 2 bed lockoff in Aruba. Can I pay the $80 to Marriott to unlock as 1 bed + 1 studio and then book 2 weeks separate in Aruba ? or how this work?

2.) If I buy in vegas 3 bed lockoff PLATINUM and pay marriott to separate 2 bed +1 bed. Can I trade in II for Aruba surf Platinum weeks?

thanks

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, If I buy a 2 bed lockoff in Aruba. Can I pay the $80 to Marriott to unlock as 1 bed + 1 studio and then book 2 weeks separate in Aruba ? or how this work?

thanks
You can just lock off your 2 Bed unit into the 1 Bed Master suite and Studio Guest suite and book these for consecutive weeks.
(EDITED - yes, I have had the Corporate Interval membership so long now, I forgot that you still have to pay lock off fees otherwise)
If you wanted to try for a 1 Bed for both weeks, you would need to exchange the Studio through Interval and pay both exchange and upgrade fees.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can just lock off your 2 Bed unit into the 1 Bed Master suite and Studio Guest suite and book these for consecutive weeks without paying any fees.
If you wanted to try for a 1 Bed for both weeks, you would need to exchange the Studio through Interval and pay both exchange and upgrade fees.
Maybe I'm missing something or behind. It was my understanding that a weeks owner not in the Destination program still had a fee to lockoff even if using both sides themselves.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Maybe I'm missing something or behind. It was my understanding that a weeks owner not in the Destination program still had a fee to lockoff even if using both sides themselves.
Correct. If you are not in the destination club you need to pay the lock off fee whether you reserve the two parts of the unit for the same week or two different weeks. You would have to pay an additional exchange fee to II for each unit you exchange through II.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. If you are not in the destination club you need to pay the lock off fee whether you reserve the two parts of the unit for the same week or two different weeks. You would have to pay an additional exchange fee to II for each unit you exchange through II.
Yes true, I have updated my earlier response.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
And, yes, if you buy in Las Vegas you can request a trade in II for Aruba weeks, but of course any trade is subject to availability and a bit of luck. Ultimately, if you envision traveling to Aruba at least half the time, and esp. if you want to go certain weeks, you'd be better off buying an Aruba week on hte resale market, which would allow you to directly book the weeks and uniti size you wanted each year.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And, yes, if you buy in Las Vegas you can request a trade in II for Aruba weeks, but of course any trade is subject to availability and a bit of luck. Ultimately, if you envision traveling to Aruba at least half the time, and esp. if you want to go certain weeks, you'd be better off buying an Aruba week on hte resale market, which would allow you to directly book the weeks and uniti size you wanted each year.

If you want to go to Aruba during platinum (winter season), buy the week there. Many owners use or rent out when not using. Plus with Marriott recently allowing free enrollments into DC, the owners who may have previously deposited into Interval will be electing points instead thereby reducing Interval exchange inventory.

elleny76

Reaction score
If you want to go to Aruba during platinum (winter season), buy the week there. Many owners use or rent out when not using. Plus with Marriott recently allowing free enrollments into DC, the owners who may have previously deposited into Interval will be electing points instead thereby reducing Interval exchange inventory.
What it means enrolling into " DC"? How DC works? Can you buy resale and do a free enrollment to DC? thanks

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What it means enrolling into " DC"? How DC works? Can you buy resale and do a free enrollment to DC? thanks

DC is Destinations Club, the points feature of Marriott Vacation Club system. Only weeks bought directly through Marriott and resale pre June 2010 qualify for the free enrollment. therefore, if you buy resale the free enrollment is not an option for you. In the past Marriott has allowed resale post June 2010 weeks to be enrolled but with a purchase of trust points directly from Marriott which is cost at least a couple of ten thousand dollars.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are still some non US locations (like Aruba) where you can buy weeks directly from Marriott that are eligible for enrollment and in fact may allow previously purchased post 2010 resales to be enrolled. Those types of offers can be discontinued at any time. Even so Marriott will expect you to pay them $25,000-$40,000+ directly either in purchasing these non US weeks or DC points in order to enroll post 2010 resale weeks.