• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please Share your Favorite Gifts to Give

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe your idea will inspire others. :thumbup:

One gift I give which is really well received and doesn't cost a lot per gift is homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.

I order a 3-lb. half-wheel of my favorite Blue Cheese from Pt. Reyes Farmstead, and then I use a recipe I got from them and make pints for friends & family. Since the 3-lb. half-wheel is a fairly sizable chunk of cheese, you could also include a recipe with a small chunk of cheese so they could make their own later. (Trust me, they'll want more when the pint is gone.)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
That sounds delicious. I never liked blue cheese until about fifteen years ago when a friend brought homemade blue cheese dressing to a beach party. I was hooked immediately and now i love blue cheese in all its forms.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You know how it's said that you give others what you like to receive, well, one of my favourite gifts are slippers.

Real shearling moccasins specifically because they are so cozy and warm. Whenever my feet are happy, I'm happy!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't really have a favorite. I like to find things for people that they didn't necessarily ask for, but end up loving. Some years I seem to go with a theme. Some years I have absolutely no ideas at all.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite gift and new family tradition: Last year DD6 asked Santa to feed homeless kids as her gift. Santa gave to a local food bank. She was so excited getting a letter from the food bank explaining to her how Santa had stopped by to help feed homeless, more excited than she's ever been by a material gift. She asked for the same thing this year.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
To make the process a little easier and provide direction to her male friends and family, my daughter taught them all how to set up (or at the very least post to an existing) Pinterest board specifically set up for Christmas wish list ideas. Even my 70yo DH has gotten on boad with this and it always surprises me what he puts up on his board.

Every year he Pins a gift card request for his fav local movie theater franchise and a Home Depot gift card. The rest varies year to year. Whevever I get "stuck" for gift ideas I always go to Pinterest first, then Google or Bing to hunt how to find the actual buy (or make info).

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I like to give cash to my son and niece, who are in their 20's, plus gift cards to supermarkets and Walmart and other stores and movie theaters. Last year I also got my niece a pair of nifty soul mate socks made in VT. Have also gotten her a pewter snowflake necklace from the Snowflake Bentley museum there. In addition, I like to send my brother and his wife something special from where our timeshares are- Vermont or New Hampshire- usually food items like maple syrup and cheese, chocolate or a specialty liquor or wine from the area. Once I sent a variety pack of Vermont Peanut Butter. My husband always wants something related to hunting or target practicing, so I might get him a gift card to Gander Mountain or a specific item he requests. This year it is electronic ear muffs.

Just this evening, we received a package from my brother - wild Alaskan salmon and halibut from Vital Choice because he knows we like that. Has sent it to us in the past and we appreciate it very much.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds delicious. I never liked blue cheese until about fifteen years ago when a friend brought homemade blue cheese dressing to a beach party. I was hooked immediately and now i love blue cheese in all its forms.
I am completely on board with you! This stuff is addictive!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know how it's said that you give others what you like to receive, well, one of my favourite gifts are slippers.

Real shearling moccasins specifically because they are so cozy and warm. Whenever my feet are happy, I'm happy!

I can also relate to this--love my Haflinger slippers and they're always on my list. Though, I've gifted them before to DH and he wasn't as excited, but he runs around bare-footed all the time, so what does he know? :p

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am completely on board with you! This stuff is addictive!
I eat a salad for lunch every day at work- always put crumbled blue cheese in it.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Whatever the gift giving occasion, I try to give consumables. Penzey's Spices, Wildtree gift packs, wine, beer. Haven't had any complaints and have gotten lots of compliments/sincere thank-yous.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I grew up an an Almond ranch in CA, and my brother still owns the ranch, so at Christmas I like to send Blue Diamond Almond Gift packs to people that I mail gifts to.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I grew up an an Almond ranch in CA, and my brother still owns the ranch, so at Christmas I like to send Blue Diamond Almond Gift packs to people that I mail gifts to.

Can I get on your mailing list?? ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must know your brother . We are friends with a couple of Blue Diamond almond growers. My big smiley did not come across in my initial post. ;)

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love all the ideas! And I have to say I've used some of them myself in previous years. We've been known to gift Penzey's quite a few times (though not sure the gifts were duly appreciated--I'd save the spice quality for someone who appreciates cooking).

Denise--so interesting you grew up on an almond ranch. I'd heard in the past year or two that the drought was very hard on the almond orchids. (I'm an almond milk fan.)

Phydeaux, your gift is truly precious.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I get on your mailing list?? ;)
Ditto that!:thumbup:

OK, even if I don't make Denise's list it's still a super gifting idea! This suggestion helps with one of my "impossibles" this year so super appreciated!
Check! :banana:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my sister's 2 oldest boys were 2 and 4 years old and both parents still worked full time, I would get up when the boys woke up on Christmas morning, to keep them quiet as long as possible. I convinced them to MAKE muffins from a box (2 versions) ... breakfast for everyone. We expanded to home made quiches and muffins within 2 years and then, to 3 sets of quiches & muffins when a 3rd boy came along. We would bring the leftover quiches to the husband's extended family Christmas dinner ... as finger food while waiting for the "always very delayed" dinner was put together.

The boys beamed with pride all during the breakfast, engaged in table talk and could not mention the gifts under the tree ... until breakfast ended with their Dad suggesting we all go into the living room to see what Santa had put under the tree. They could investigate their Christmas stockings earlier ... but they really wanted to get breakfast made (their personal gift to Mom & Dad).

My sister's sister-in-law thought I was a meanie ... keeping the boys away from their presents. Her 3 kids would be tearing all their presents open at 2 or 3 AM and the parents would have gotten only minutes of sleep. My sister got pictures of each boy presenting his hot/warm quiche to her in the dining room each year ... then taking turns opening their presents.

It varies now as to who is up and making Christmas morning quiches ... but breakfast is still eaten by all at the dining room table before opening any Christmas presents.

A tradition for parents to get some sleep some 20 years ago and to get a decent breakfast into 3 young boys on Christmas morning was born from need.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my sister's 2 oldest boys were 2 and 4 years old and both parents still worked full time, I would get up when the boys woke up on Christmas morning, to keep them quiet as long as possible. I convinced them to MAKE muffins from a box (2 versions) ... breakfast for everyone. We expanded to home made quiches and muffins within 2 years and then, to 3 sets of quiches & muffins when a 3rd boy came along. We would bring the leftover quiches to the husband's extended family Christmas dinner ... as finger food while waiting for the "always very delayed" dinner was put together.

The boys beamed with pride all during the breakfast, engaged in table talk and could not mention the gifts under the tree ... until breakfast ended with their Dad suggesting we all go into the living room to see what Santa had put under the tree. They could investigate their Christmas stockings earlier ... but they really wanted to get breakfast made (their personal gift to Mom & Dad).

My sister's sister-in-law thought I was a meanie ... keeping the boys away from their presents. Her 3 kids would be tearing all their presents open at 2 or 3 AM and the parents would have gotten only minutes of sleep. My sister got pictures of each boy presenting his hot/warm quiche to her in the dining room each year ... then taking turns opening their presents.

It varies now as to who is up and making Christmas morning quiches ... but breakfast is still eaten by all at the dining room table before opening any Christmas presents.

A tradition for parents to get some sleep some 20 years ago and to get a decent breakfast into 3 young boys on Christmas morning was born from need.

I've always admired what you've done with your nephews on vacations. And this Christmas tradition is the best, IMO. Homemade quiche is a special treat.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

One of the best gifts I remember my parents getting for Christmas way back when, was some fresh blanched almonds and some kind of honey-covered almonds (they were lightly sweetened, and tasted awesome.) My Aunt and Uncle in Woodland, Ca sent them to us in Hawaii. Major points for them. My Dad always complained of how much he disliked growing up in Woodland, but he sure went home a lot to visit. ;)

As an adult, I'm a tech giver. I also like getting techie gifts.. This year, it's wireless bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones. Perfect to take on a noisy plane ride. I didn't know if anyone would get them for me, so I got them for myself. :thumbup:

Dave

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Baking Christmas shortbread with the little ones has always been a pre-Christmas ritual in our house.

Opening Christmas stockings is a major tradition in our family. Everyone has a personalized, handmade stocking and "Santa" shops all year to fill all 7 of them. So much fun!

Our little grandchildren always get new pyjamas. This year our granddaughter will get Shopkins PJs and our grandson will get Ninja Turtle PJs. They also get new bathing suits for the summer, when we give them a series of swimming lessons. We always give them a few toys, like Lego and craft kits, that we love to work on throughout the year. This year, they are interested in board games, so Junior Scrabble and Monopoly will be under the tree.

I try to tailor adult gifts to their specific interests. Our DD always gets something she wants (usually her favourite bath items from Bath and Bodyworks) and something she needs(a membership to Costco or an auto club, CAA).

Last year, all the ladies got beautiful silk scarves that I purchased in Vietnam.

Shopping is almost finished for this year!

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't made it the last several years, but I've made microwave cashew brittle as part of a holiday gift package. It's absolutely delicious and easy to make. You can also substitute other nuts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Handling fabrics does a number on my hands but most hand creams leave oil/moisture behind that can damage fabrics. Aveda's "hand relief" is the only product I've found that both works and doesn't do any damage, although it is somewhat pricey considering how often I have to use it. For crafty friends I put together a little bag with a travel-size cream plus some sort of notion - a good pack of needles, a pair of thread clippers, a measuring tape, etc. So I'm both an Aveda junkie and a dealer because they always end up buying their own. ;)

May as well add a plug for Aveda's "foot relief" cream, too - it's awesome!

And now that I've typed that out it all sounds ridiculous but trust me, this stuff works! And who doesn't like a little bit of pampering now and then?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Brian - do you know you can microwave eggs and they turn out great.

-spray a 4-6 in. wide bowl (with high sides) with vegetable spray
-break two eggs in and stir with a fork (if you don't break the yolk, it will explode)
-stir in whatever you like (salt, pepper, grated cheese, crumbled bacon, etc.)
-microwave about 2 min. for hard cooked eggs - less for soft eggs.

Last edited: