• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TPG - The Points Guy - What Points and Mileage are Worth

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The Points Guy has just posted his valuations for December.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/december-2016-monthly-valuations/

So... it looks like my 30-35% discount offer from SPG is a bargain! {<sarcasm}

I am a TPG fan - but to accept that was once valued at 2.25c/SP has increased to 2.7c/SP because of the 3:1 MR-SP conversion? A ~20% change in SP value?

At 2.7c/SP: 10K SP = $270. This will get a SPG 4* Cat hotel room (or MR Level 6) based on advertised values - w/o the add-ons of 5 nite promo, etc. as not to complicate the math.

$270 for that level of hotel? nope... not buying it.
Scanning these prices (generally) - these categories are going for <$200/nite (SPG and MR sites)
And - Yes, I am aware that there are prices out there that are more...
(not that I could find quickly - but I am sure some will point out that in some other country this was a bargain for them...)

I am finding much better rates using the UR portal - and more selection.
As posted recently - standard example for us (YMMV) in NorCal
$172 cash
~12000 UR points (~$192)
12000 SP (~$320 at 2.7c/SP)
35000 MR (~$310 at 0.9c/MR)

This is pretty consistent across NorCal hotels of these levels.

IMO YMMV (and likely does... I know a few)

btw, love the avatar (and hat) - way too pull thru!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The value in MR points isn't in individual nightly point stays, it is really in the travel packages. Perhaps that is where he TPG is getting .9 for a MR point and thus translating it in to 2.7 for SPG. It seems he is putting more value on MR points than SPG.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The value in MR points isn't in individual nightly point stays, it is really in the travel packages. Perhaps that is where he TPG is getting .9 for a MR point and thus translating it in to 2.7 for SPG. It seems he is putting more value on MR points than SPG.

Exactly. Because of the 3:1 no-strings SPG-MR conversion feature, TPG has to value SPG points at exactly 3x MR points, by definition. That means the SPG point value is the greater of (1) an SPG point's value as it can be redeemed in SPG; OR (2) 3x a MR point's value as it can be redeemed in MR. Not finding 2.7 cents worth of value in an SPG point doesn't make it "worth less" if an MR point can be redeemed for 0.9 cents worth of value (which TPG asserts is currently the case, up from a recent 0.7 cent valuation).

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Because of the 3:1 no-strings SPG-MR conversion feature, TPG has to value SPG points at exactly 3x MR points, by definition. That means the SPG point value is the greater of (1) an SPG point's value as it can be redeemed in SPG; OR (2) 3x a MR point's value as it can be redeemed in MR. Not finding 2.7 cents worth of value in an SPG point doesn't make it "worth less" if an MR point can be redeemed for 0.9 cents worth of value (which TPG asserts is currently the case, up from a recent 0.7 cent valuation).

I thought there would be no math on the Internet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

An increase from 0.7 to 0.9 c/MR is large.
In my limited hotel searches (US based - since no plans to travel abroad) - neither valuation seems correct, but maybe just for our typical usage. Glad I have used up a good portion of our SPs.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
An increase from 0.7 to 0.9 c/MR is large.

I think so, too, but it may be a reflection of the current travel package redemptions. My guess is it will drop back down to 0.7-0.8 cents (and 2.1-2.4 cents for SPG) at some point in the not-too-distant future.