• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coyotes

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Arizona, of course, we have them everywhere. We live on a golf course that is heavily infested with coyotes; golfers travel right alongside them. Perhaps an old fashioned BB gun? It certainly wouldn't kill them, but it would cause discomfort. Enough to make them stay away? I don't know.
It may make them mad and start attacking people. We have lots of coyotes here too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I can't imagine that a healthy coyote is going to attack people unless the are attacked at close quarters, and have to defend themselves. They aren't wolves, or tigers, or lions.

Coyote's were here before us, and we are encroaching on their space. They are just trying to survive - just like all other animals. They would much prefer to stay away from humans, but they have had to adapt to humans, to survive.

They are not evil creatures - they are just carnivores, doing what carnivores do. So yes, if you leave your small pets outside, or food, or garbage, you may attract them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine that a healthy coyote is going to attack people unless the are attacked at close quarters, and have to defend themselves. They aren't wolves, or tigers, or lions.

Coyote's were here before us, and we are encroaching on their space. They are just trying to survive - just like all other animals. They would much prefer to stay away from humans, but they have had to adapt to humans, to survive.

They are not evil creatures - they are just carnivores, doing what carnivores do. So yes, if you leave your small pets outside, or food, or garbage, you may attract them.
I am referring to the coyotes getting mad at human for shooting at them...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[I am referring to the coyotes getting mad at human for shooting at them...]

I understand that, but I don't believe that is realistic, based on normal coyote behavior. I doubt if coyotes have the capacity to "get mad," at someone who is aiming a gun at them from a normal distance. "Getting mad," is a human emotion.

However, if attacked at close quarters, they would be frightened, and their natural instinct is to run, and they would only defend themselves if trapped.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

We see some pretty gnarly effects of coyote attacks on small dogs. Usually left unattended in a yard. But one of the most outrageous attacks was on a dachshund being walked on a leash at 10:30 in the morning in a well-populated LA suburb. Coyote grabbed the dog by the head and the owner was in a tug-of-war with it, his dog in the middle. Eventually the coyote got spooked and let go of the dog. Skull fracture for the doxie but ultimately he was 100% ok.

Coyotes will attack toddlers- rarely, but it happens. They're pretty small as predators go, but still not to be trifled with.

One of my favorite stories though was a Rhodesian Ridgeback who came into our ER for the chief complaint of "Mountain Lion Attack". One small laceration on the dog, was treated as an outpatient. That lion picked on the wrong dog, lol, because the dog went right back at the lion when it attacked and apparently scared the bejeezus out of it. That lion hightailed it out of the yard and up over the fence pretty darn quick!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Is there a deterrent? YES

There's this: http://coyoteroller.com/

And also, don't feed your dogs outside. If you must, don't leave the food out.
Motion lights can help.
Go out with your dogs, don't send them out alone.
Avoid letting your dogs out early in the morning or late at night.

There are also some electronic devices that emit a high frequency noise that deters many animals. It's high enough that we humans can't hear it. BUT it would also annoy your dogs and stress them out. And it would deter other wildlife that you may want. I wouldn't do this but it's certainly more humane than poison or shooting them - neither of which is actually safe. This would be safe, just really annoying for all the animals who might hear it.

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are cutting down trees to build houses that do not sell. We are also seeing more bears in our area. We are taking their habitat away and they are getting even. Where are they supposed to go? :doh:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are cutting down trees to build houses that do not sell. We are also seeing more bears in our area. We are taking their habitat away and they are getting even. Where are they supposed to go? :doh:

Where I live they knock down trees to build houses and never even build the houses!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Coyotes attack kids and pets every year and people get a bit unhinged. All it really takes is a random noise to make them go away for the most part. Coyotes can be classified better as a scavenger, imo. I doubt that any one can get close enough to a coyote with a shot gun to kill a healthy coyote. It takes a decent riffle with a scope to reach one, and even with the right equipment, coyotes can instinctively disappear. You could poison 1000 coyotes and there will be 1000 more taking their places. If the coyote isn't afraid of you, it is likely rabid.

We have coyotes strolling around our rural neighborhood and you can absolutely hear them go off when they make a kill. I think cats and rabbits but looking at their scat when hiking, I see they eat about anything.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coyotes attack kids and pets every year and people get a bit unhinged. All it really takes is a random noise to make them go away for the most part. Coyotes can be classified better as a scavenger, imo. I doubt that any one can get close enough to a coyote with a shot gun to kill a healthy coyote. It takes a decent riffle with a scope to reach one, and even with the right equipment, coyotes can instinctively disappear. You could poison 1000 coyotes and there will be 1000 more taking their places. If the coyote isn't afraid of you, it is likely rabid.

We have coyotes strolling around our rural neighborhood and you can absolutely hear them go off when they make a kill. I think cats and rabbits but looking at their scat when hiking, I see they eat about anything.

Bill

Wrong, wrong & wrong. I know from first hand experiences. ;)

And you? Where do you get this kind of misinformation?

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
All I know for certain is that the coyotes that wander at a leisurely pace through our back yard (and even down the sidewalk and road out front) or take a nap under the bushes in our yard are definitely not afraid when I open the slider, or they hear the alarm ping when I do it. They continue to rest in place or saunder along as I approach throwing pieces of rock I have scooped up (from our rock "yard"). It's possible to get quite close (Obviously only if I haven't managed to actually hit one with a piece of gravel) before they decide to either get up and leave or increase their pace. None of them are rabid, and I see them on a daily basis.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have played golf on the fairway, nervously, with a coyote standing about 50 ft behind me. It was certainly close enough for me to shoot at but I wouldn't. I don't believe in shooting at animals. We also see them crossing roads here. They are not afraid of human but they also don't approach us.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like many wild animals, coyotes become habituated to human presence, and that is when wild animals are at their most dangerous. This more because of human behavior than theirs....Because they are not charging at them and attacking every living being in sight, many people view them as domesticated. They will feed them, which prompts the animal to associate people with food, and they will get way too close to the animal. An animal in the wilderness, without frequent exposure to humans, has no idea what to expect from an encounter with people and will therefore generally avoid contact unless they are cornered or sense that their offspring are in danger. Risk aversion is part of most animals' survival instinct.

In my experience, Denise is correct that coyotes will generally chose flight over fight when confronting an adult person, who is obviously larger than they are, even when they are habituated to us. However, anyone with a dog knows that they view children differently from adults, and children and pets ARE in danger when a coyote or any predator is around. Therefore, they cannot be let alone in neighborhoods.

It is true that we are encroaching upon the habitat of coyotes, bears, and other wild animals, and that this is increasing contact between us and them and also the risk of a catastrophic encounters. Ultimately, though, with human expansion a given, we are bound to place human life over animal life (survival of species) if an emergent decision has to be made in favor of one over the other. There are some things we can do and are doing to mitigate contact between civilization and the wild and limit regrettable consequences of that contact to both humans and animals. Much of what we are doing and could further be done, however, falls in the spectrum of political discussion that I don't think appropriate for these forums.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Here's what Project Coyote says about how to keep your pets safe:

KEEPING DOMESTIC ANIMALS SAFE
Although free roaming pets are more likely to be killed by automobiles than by wild animals, coyotes may view cats and small dogs as potential prey and larger dogs as competition. Other domestic animals including sheep, chickens and rabbits may also be seen as food and must be protected. Consider the following:

• Don’t let domestic animals roam; keep them securely enclosed and protected at night.
  • Fence your property. The fence must be at least 6 feet tall with the bottom extending at least 6 inches below the ground. Fences are more effective by using wire mesh, outwardly inverting the top of the fence, by using electric fencing along the top and bottom (more strands for protecting livestock), or by installing the CoyoteRoller™ which makes it difficult for predators to gain the “foothold” they need to pull up and over the top of an enclosure.
  • Llamas, donkeys, and livestock guard dogs are effective in reducing coyote-livestock conflicts.
  • Don’t leave animal foods outside; keep all food well secured.
  • Install motion-sensor lights near buildings.
  • Walk dogs on leashes, particularly during coyote mating season (December—February) and pupping seasons (April—July).
  • Spay or neuter your dogs. Though uncommon, coyotes are attracted to, and can mate with, dogs.
http://www.projectcoyote.org/take-action/promote-coexistence/

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although free roaming pets are more likely to be killed by automobiles than by wild animals, coyotes may view cats and small dogs as potential prey and larger dogs as competition. Other domestic animals including sheep, chickens and rabbits may also be seen as food and must be protected. Consider the following:

• Don’t let domestic animals roam; keep them securely enclosed and protected at night.
  • Fence your property. The fence must be at least 6 feet tall with the bottom extending at least 6 inches below the ground. Fences are more effective by using wire mesh, outwardly inverting the top of the fence, by using electric fencing along the top and bottom (more strands for protecting livestock), or by installing the CoyoteRoller™ which makes it difficult for predators to gain the “foothold” they need to pull up and over the top of an enclosure.
  • Llamas, donkeys, and livestock guard dogs are effective in reducing coyote-livestock conflicts.
  • Walk dogs on leashes, particularly during coyote mating season (December—February) and pupping seasons (April—July).
  • Spay or neuter your dogs. Though uncommon, coyotes are attracted to, and can mate with, dogs.

Donkeys! Many cattle ranchers have taken to partnering donkeys with their herds. The donkeys don't mess around and the coyotes would rather not deal with them.

Alternatively, just set up a chaise lounge and hire my exwife to sit in it.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Wow. I have hunted coyote in central WA for over 30 years now and haven't ever experienced one stupid enough to stick around. The coyotes in my area are wild. They are pretty much hiding during day hours.

Maybe you people with problem coyotes are actually having a problem with feral dogs or dog hybrid. Feral dogs are not very smart and do run in packs. There was a pack of feral dogs roaming a nearby river that mauled a woman years ago. These animals were easy to locate, because they were hybrids.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have hunted coyote in central WA for over 30 years now and haven't ever experienced one stupid enough to stick around. The coyotes in my area are wild. They are pretty much hiding during day hours.

Maybe you people with problem coyotes are actually having a problem with feral dogs or dog hybrid. Feral dogs are not very smart and do run in packs. There was a pack of feral dogs roaming a nearby river that mauled a woman years ago. These animals were easy to locate, because they were hybrids.
These are definitely coyotes. They are native here. In the early morning or late evening we can hear packs howling which sounds eerie. We normally see one at a time and not in a pack.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm from Texas and Nevada. I know the difference between a coyote and a dog. The coyote I've experienced, particularly in Texas and Oklahoma, have run loosely in packs. At times you would see them act as a pack, but more often you would see lone coyotes travelling across pastures or hunting shelter belts. Judging from their howls, they seemed to stay closer together at night.

In my suburban area in the desert, I've NEVER seen a coyote pack, only lone ones. In fact, I've never seen coyotes gathering in the desert at all, though I'll admit most of my community with the desert wilderness has been viewing it through car windows LOL.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are definitely coyotes. They are native here. In the early morning or late evening we can hear packs howling which sounds eerie. We normally see one at a time and not in a pack.

Yeah they have that howl and yipping bark they seem to do at the same time. My grandmother used to tell me you could never tell if it's one coyote or eight by listening to the howls.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Bees harm more people in the US then Coyotes. Living in Vermont there are coyote packs everywhere, I have never heard of a coyote attacking a human in Vermont. I would fear a domesticated dog more then a coyote, coyotes know how to find food (mice, moles, rabbits etc) they will not attack you unless you do something stupid like corning them.
Just leave them alone and keep your cats inside. Dogs are fine! Small dogs they have a better chance being attacked by a hawk.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right in my neighborhood a woman was walking her good sized dog down the street, on a leash during daylight hours, and the dog was attacked by three coyotes. I saw him come into the vet's office. It was scary. I never put food or garbage outside. My dog prefers to be outside, and I can't be with him all the time. I do feel bad for the coyotes, but worry about my dog. I would never harm an animal, I just hoped there was some sort of a deterrent I could use.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks. That was actually helpful.