• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Small Rant . . . with warning [rental car toll device]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Over the Christmas holiday (12/24-1/1) I rented a car from Dollar. It was the DCA/Reagan Airport location in Crystal City. I waived all add-ons including the EZ pass toll transponder. I avoid all toll roads and know about their HOV toll road fees . . . so I was very careful to avoid getting in those lanes around the DC metro area, including my drives north/south on I95.

Last week I received a $95.98 invoice for a toll road according to VDOT. The invoice had it listed as "MWB" which meant nothing to me. When I called the Dollar number on the invoice. They said that it was the "Elizabeth Bridge" near the I64/264/664 interchange. I wasn't certain, but was pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near there ever . . . but particularly on the day/time (12/31 @ 3:03p) in question. I wasn't really familiar with that interchange until after the call. Looking it up on Google, I learned it is over in the Tidewater area . . . Norfolk/Va Beach.

I was however, on I64 between I81 and Waynesboro, where I picked up Skyline Drive. I drove north up to Front Royal, where I met my family & checked into my hotel at 4:30p. When I explained my day's travel to the person at Dollar, they said they would open a investigation and get back to me within a couple of days.

Yesterday I got the response back, that the transponder was the correct one assigned to my rental car and that there were "no inconsistencies found" so the toll (plus fees/fines) would not be cleared/waived.

I called them again last night to tell them there was no way the rental car or I were over on the eastern side of Virginia. I told them of my travels that day; I even have photos that I took in Shenandoah Nat'l Park between noon and 3:30pm.

They said they couldn't accept photos but asked if I had proof "like a receipt" that would confirm where I was. Fortunately, I had a receipt from breakfast in Harrisonburg that morning . . . and the receipt from my Front Royal hotel (thank goodness they charged me and gave me a receipt at check-in) that afternoon.

I'm hopeful that after submitting these two documents they will realize there is no way I was anywhere near Va Beach at the time the transponder allegedly was read by the VDOT at the MWB toll . . . and that the toll + fee + fine will be waived. (GEESH . . . even it it was legit . . . $96 for a single toll violation . . . that alone should be word to wise!)

I am very fortunate that I could retrieve my receipts from that trip/day. I had already reconciled my travel expenses and thrown them away in my office trashcan (that hadn't been emptied yet). I'm confident that without them, I would stand ZERO chance of fighting this bogus invoice.

As an aside, when I spoke with the agent at Dollar last night, I said I wanted them to provide photographic proof that it was me and my rental car that went through the toll. I was told that sorta of evidence/proof is not typically available especially since most tollways are now 100% transponder and do not have actual plazas or cameras.

I hope this long story helps others to be careful and avoid such a headache. I still can't believe they're trying to soak me for $96!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's freakin' larceny! We get calls almost every day from 'Municipal Services Bureau'. I let it go to voice mail. I could write the exact text, but I won't. Apparently they are trying to exort us for a parking ticket from at least 10 years ago. My wife wrote them demanding photographic evidence, which is required by law. She wrote on her law office letterhead. They have not provided the documentation. We have not paid. The calls continue.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We live in Florida where there are a lot of toll roads but there are very few manned toll booths left here in Florida. If they didn't have cameras how would they ever catch anyone who didn't pay the tolls? I wouldn't believe what Dollar is telling you.

In November of 2015 our son was visiting us and rented a car from Fox. We gave him the transponder from one of our cars to use. Later he gets a bill from Fox for the tolls. We provided Fox with a copy of our bill showing that we had paid for those tolls that they were billing him for and they made it right with him. According to Fox we needed to go online to change the license plate number on the SunPass account but they were really busy when our son picked up the car and didn't tell him that. However when my husband spoke with the SunPass people he was told "we don't double bill" and that it wasn't necessary to change the plate number because if our transponder registered and paid then Fox wasn't being billed. In the future if we are transferring the transponder to another car we will make sure we go online and change the plate number on our SunPass account to avoid any headaches.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is indeed a ridiculous amount for one violation. I go back and forth over the Elizabeth River Bridge daily for work. They've recently raised the rate for "pay by plate" to $5 each way. Anyway, there's plenty of cameras at this particular toll. Thank goodness you have those receipts. However, I agree that they need to provide photographic proof if they are going to try to charge you.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it is indeed a ridiculous amount for one violation. I go back and forth over the Elizabeth River Bridge daily for work. They've recently raised the rate for "pay by plate" to $5 each way. Anyway, there's plenty of cameras at this particular toll. Thank goodness you have those receipts. However, I agree that they need to provide photographic proof if they are going to try to charge you.

Thanks for the local info on that particular toll location. If they do not come back with a favorable response, I will demand the photo . . . but of course, they have my credit card on file and I'm sure they will simply charge me and leave me refuting it with the credit card company.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I dont think its a fine or violation fee. In general car rental policy is if you use the ezpass in the car even once, you pay $10 or $15 per day for the entire rental period plus the actual cost of the toll. Usually you have to have the device open or it wont work.

I dont know how this could have happened but obviosly it did.

its like the old mini bar fee. Hard to prove you didnt eat the $15 bag of m and m's.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Thanks for the local info on that particular toll location. If they do not come back with a favorable response, I will demand the photo . . . but of course, they have my credit card on file and I'm sure they will simply charge me and leave me refuting it with the credit card company.

I would file a dispute with your credit card company now. Don't wait.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would file a dispute with your credit card company now. Don't wait.

Can't file a dispute of a charge that hasn't been made yet.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Guess I'll begin bringing an envelope to put all my receipts in when I travel, then keep them all for a few months before discarding them. No telling when/where they might come in handy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Orange County, CA over Christmas and went on a couple of toll rolls, I tried to go on line and register my rental car plates, but it was the next day and they said I couldn't do it after the fact. I got a $10.45 charge from National on my credit card for the two toll road segments. They have recently started charging tolls on the IN/KY bridges around Louisville on the Ohio River. I am renting a car to drive up to my daughter's and will cross one of the bridges both ways. I went in and set up an account and when I get my rental car, will add it to my list of cars, can have a total of 4. Then when I get back will go back on and delete it from my account. Hope it works, what a pain!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed it is a pain. We have a 2 week trip in Florida later this year and we'll have to deal with tolls and a rental car on that trip! I'm not looking forward to that.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Guess I'll begin bringing an envelope to put all my receipts in when I travel, then keep them all for a few months before discarding them. No telling when/where they might come in handy.

Yes that was really my point in posting here. It is one thing to have full disclosure, waive the EZPass and then take a toll and get stuck paying (even if it is literally highway robbery). But to have a charge hit you from a toll road/bridge that you were nowhere near, is nonsense & fraud against the consumer (either by VDOT or the car rental company).

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't you just buy your own Sun Pass before you leave on your trip? Doesn't cost much. My guess is that the monitors will read the signal from the Sun Pass before it looks at the license plate.

George

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your phone GPS is on, you can retrieve your location history. I gather Android phones record a more complete history than Apple, and of course accuracy varies. My LG phone has 'Google Location History' under Settings, and I just looked at the drive I took yesterday, and it's accuracy is uncanny....including a short detour. It shows a Google map from my house to my three stops and back home. Maybe I should turn it off! There doesn't seem to be a way to share or forward that information, and of course you have no proof your phone was in the vehicle you were driving.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We were in Orange County, CA over Christmas and went on a couple of toll rolls, I tried to go on line and register my rental car plates, but it was the next day and they said I couldn't do it after the fact. I got a $10.45 charge from National on my credit card for the two toll road segments. They have recently started charging tolls on the IN/KY bridges around Louisville on the Ohio River. I am renting a car to drive up to my daughter's and will cross one of the bridges both ways. I went in and set up an account and when I get my rental car, will add it to my list of cars, can have a total of 4. Then when I get back will go back on and delete it from my account. Hope it works, what a pain!

I have an Orange County toll account, when I add cars I can put in active dates, no need to go back and delete, easy peasy. It costs me $6 to drive the full length when I head down to SD, $10.45 doesn't sound to bad compared to over $100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my own e z pass. Can't I use that by simply holding it up to the windshield? :confused:

I heard of someone's working in the glove compartment, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Can't you just buy your own Sun Pass before you leave on your trip? Doesn't cost much.

That would be my recommendation as well.
Alternatively, you can avoid tolls when visiting the Keys...
Stay off the Turnpike. Use only I-95, Palmetto Expwy, US 1 & local roads.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't you just buy your own Sun Pass before you leave on your trip? Doesn't cost much. My guess is that the monitors will read the signal from the Sun Pass before it looks at the license plate.

George

That's probably what I will do for this upcoming trip in 2017.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: Received an email from Dollar today . . . they have waived the charges for the bogus toll on 12/31/16.

No explanation other than they received my documentation and that they were not going to charge my VISA card that was on the rental agreement.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your phone GPS is on, you can retrieve your location history. I gather Android phones record a more complete history than Apple, and of course accuracy varies. My LG phone has 'Google Location History' under Settings, and I just looked at the drive I took yesterday, and it's accuracy is uncanny....including a short detour. It shows a Google map from my house to my three stops and back home. Maybe I should turn it off! There doesn't seem to be a way to share or forward that information, and of course you have no proof your phone was in the vehicle you were driving.
Press and hold the power key. Take a screen shot.
It also transfers to maps.google.com as a private view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.