• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions on my Wyndham Margaritaville Points

liyunljst

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Margaritaville
My wife and I have 154K Wyndham Margaritaville points (home resort is St. Thomas but I think it doesn't matter). We paid the full amount of $30K in 2014 and current annual maintenance fee is close to $1100, but so far we only used the points 3 times. We don't like to make plans for future (saying 3 months or 1 year in the future), so it's hard to use the points when we need them. Anyone has some suggestions on making the best use of the points?

Also I went through some of the posts here, seems the best way to get rid of the points is to return them back to Wyndham through the ovation program. Any better option is available?

Thanks a lot,

Yun

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending how far you live from a resort, you could take short notice weekend getaways, etc., to a resort close to home.

gsmith6312

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nashville Margaritaville St Thomas
why dont you use your points for other Wyndham stays? your points are good everywhere

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you have found TUG. 154,000 points is not a very big unit or a multiple week vacation. And if your life is as busy as most of ours .... planning months or a year in advance it NOT for you... unless YOU decide that you got to get some WORTH out of your $33,300 you have spent so far.

Open up that pretty picture book of resorts ... labelled "Member Directory" or go to the website, to find resorts within a reasonable driving distance. Decide when you can go ... check availability ... and book it. JUST USE the points. Take your family, take a parent, go with just your spouse. Pull up the driving directions and go ... plan as you drive with your passenger doing the smart phone thing. I do it several times a year ... and many resorts in cold weather locations have indoor pools. Some have very nearby ski hills. Some have big outdoor fires with marshmellows or karoke or outlet malls ... But it is time with just your close family or a fun group.... that is WHY you brought this, RIGHT?

PS I usually travel alone. Wyndham resorts are great ... I can sit in the pool, hot tub or on a Tiki bar stool. I can read alone by the pool or walk on a nearby beach. I can enjoy my AM coffee on my private balcony or read a newspaper at MY dining room table. Or I can meet a new friend or two to share a beer or two with. If I try that at a hotel ... I might be looked at like "she is really OLD for a working gal".

And YES, I have favorite resorts ... of course, I am still very happy to visit a new (to me) Wyndham resort ... just give let me get a few free days ... and see where I can book 3 or 4 nights. And if I hate the place ... I can just leave and go home.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Or book a high demand unit at the 13 month mark at your Margaritaville property and try to rent it out. However at your point value you will only be able to book an entry level studio unit for a very high demand week, like Christmas or New Years. Those might rent for enough to cover your MFs and still pocket a bit of cash, until you can travel with less notice, or figure a better way to use what you have already sunk costs in.

liyunljst

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Margaritaville
We live in Michigan that does not have any close resort.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Ontario, Washington DC, Chicago, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, these are all places that are less than a full days drive away from MI. I guess close is all relative. Check them out.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Is that annual maintenance fee for Margaritaville correct? I'm only asking because the resorts that have high points cost per night usually produce low cost per point in maintenance fees. $1100 for 154k points is a pretty high cost per point.

happyhopian

Reaction score
if it were me. I would look at the listings on ebay and list it myself. I have seen several of these. You can require the buyer pay closing and title cost. There are several timeshare title companies. If I got $10 it would be better than deeding it back to wyndham.

liyunljst

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Margaritaville
Thanks a lot to all of the friends who replied. Yes, our maintenance fee is close to $1100 and we feel it's expensive. Those points are good for all othe Wyndham resorts, but usually we need to book a few months or even one year earlier and we are not getting used to it. We have tried Smoking mountain resort and Fairfield Glade resorts, both of them are not bad. We may try others and when will really want to get rid of the points, we will try ebay as well. Thanks again.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
if it were me. I would look at the listings on ebay and list it myself. I have seen several of these. You can require the buyer pay closing and title cost. There are several timeshare title companies. If I got $10 it would be better than deeding it back to wyndham.

With longer than usual closing/ transfer process any amount you get resale will get eaten in MF paid waiting for transfer to go through.

Ovation may very well be fastest and cheaper.

Othersent will have views that should be considered beyond that of mine.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elysian Beach
With longer than usual closing/ transfer process any amount you get resale will get eaten in MF paid waiting for transfer to go through.

Ovation may very well be fastest and cheaper.

Othersent will have views that should be considered beyond that of mine.
My wife and I have 154K Wyndham Margaritaville points (home resort is St. Thomas but I think it doesn't matter). We paid the full amount of $30K in 2014 and current annual maintenance fee is close to $1100, but so far we only used the points 3 times. We don't like to make plans for future (saying 3 months or 1 year in the future), so it's hard to use the points when we need them. Anyone has some suggestions on making the best use of the points?

Also I went through some of the posts here, seems the best way to get rid of the points is to return them back to Wyndham through the ovation program. Any better option is available?

Thanks a lot,

Yun

nicben

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek Club, Vegas Worldmark
We live in Michigan that does not have any close resort.
I also live in MI. Try the Dells it's only 5 hours and fun for the whole family. Looking to buy margaritaville.

liyunljst

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Margaritaville
Nicole,

Thank you. If you want to buy mine, please let me know. :)

I also live in MI. Try the Dells it's only 5 hours and fun for the whole family. Looking to buy margaritaville.

nicben

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much? Would you pay transfer fee?

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
It will be interesting to see how the final bid ends up after the snipes jump in.
2 more minutes and we will all see.

nicben

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried to bid but someone at the literally last second bid 10 dollars more

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
The seller isn't getting squat; they most likely paid Sean's Timeshares to get rid of it. Ovation would have been a better deal for them.

nicben

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. Not fair

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not fair

I was out bid last night in the last second too but I would not say it wasn't fair. I was only willing to go so high. Someone else was willing to go higher. They won fair and square

My father used to say "opportunities are like streetcars; don't worry if you miss one, just wait and watch; there will be another one in a few minutes"

He also used to say "ideas are a dime a dozen, its execution that counts"

Like father like son, I'm bidding on something else tonight

Last edited:

nicben

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds like me.