• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC $12,800 for 12,600 points good deal?

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
Is $12,800 a good price for HGVC kings land 12,600 points. This is a 2 BR premier platinum season. Yearly fees about $1675.

When will Hilton exercise their right of first refusal?

thanks

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Welcome to TUG. According to the point charts, 12,600 points should be a 1 Bedroom Premium in Platinum season or 2 BR Plus in Platinum season. In my opinion this is a pretty good deal. It hard to stay if Hilton would snatch it ups via ROFR. I am currently in the middle of buying a 2 BR Premium. 14,400 point unit at Kings Land. My price was just a bit more than yours, i am still waiting to see if its me or HGVC that ends up with the unit.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that brings the MF/point down to around $0.13/point which, IMO is great.

I'd be surprised if it passes ROFR, but you have nothing to lose.

If it were me, I'd go for it (if I could sell my 3 existing ones for the $12,800 I'd definitely do it, but that'd be a fat chance that happens).

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is $12,800 a good price for HGVC kings land 12,600 points. This is a 2 BR premier platinum season. Yearly fees about $1675.

When will Hilton exercise their right of first refusal?

thanks

To me 12.800$ for 12.600 points with yearly mf of 1675$ is a high mf for the amount of points. If you OTOH tend to be using the unit it can be a good price. I don't know how hard it would be to book the same size unit in platinum time at 9 months out. If it would be fairly easy I might find another unit.

I can't remember the link but a member made a spreadsheet with the top 10(maybe it was top 15) units at different resorts with the lowest mf. Try and search for it in the hgvc forum. I would pick one of those unless you ofc would be using the unit at kings land.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Here is the link:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...ith-the-lowest-mfs.249249/page-2#post-1958317

I checked Kings Land availability and out to February 2018 there seems to be tons of availability for the 2 Bedroom Premier. So not being an HGVC owner myself (I am just using a friends login because I am thinking about buying resale) and not having personal experience I think other TUG members would say unless you plan to be spending alot of time booking your home resort in the platinum season then you should buy the points at a lower MF and book your trips to Kings' Land in Club Season (9 month mark). Unless of course you want like Christmas/New Years weeks or heavy periods like when the kids are out. Even in this case it's Hawaii and the cost to get a big family there is the bigger factor than the accommodations so there could still be availability when you want to go to Kings' Land. Just my two "non-owner" cents.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 Br Pre with 14400 points at KL. I was at KL for 2 weeks during Christmas 2016. It took few attempts to get the reservation I wanted but eventually I was able to get 1 week in 2 Br Pre and another week in 2 Br + in Phase 1. There is always some availability in BI between the 3 HGVC resorts, 4th one should bring more units. On the contrary , we have 2 weeks reservation in Maui for Christmas / New Year 2017 (Worldmark) and it took me multiple tries to get the dates I wanted , including wait listing. Fortunately we love BI more than other Islands and HGVC availability there is not an issue :).

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
For your res was that 12 months out or past 9 month out mark?

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
For your res was that 12 months out or past 9 month out mark?

It was in club season (9 months out). I started with two 1 Br in phase 2 and as and when units started showing up, changed the reservation. Kohala and Bay Club also showed intermittent availability, one may need to check often to grab the units esp during peak season (Christmas / New Year).

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
It was in club season (9 months out). I started with two 1 Br in phase 2 and as and when units started showing up, changed the reservation. Kohala and Bay Club also showed intermittent availability, one may need to check often to grab the units esp during peak season (Christmas / New Year).

Thanks. Not planning on going to HI at Christmas time but because I am a learning I wanted to know if ever I think I might want to.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
Thanks for info! This forum is really helpful.

The $1675 at Kings Land for 12,600 points includes property taxes and is actually less pro rata then the annual fees of $1379.01 that I pay for 8400 points at Sea World.
I have been looking at many of the maintenance fees including taxes and to me the only valid way to compare is to divide the total fees inclusive of taxes and reserve by the number of points. e.g. king's Land $1675/12,600 points = .133 & Sea World $1379.01/8400 points = .164

On the secondary market it is hard to find large point quantities and the .133 ratio is one of the lowest available on the market now for this amount of points. Maybe I'm missing something but it is a simple math calculation for me.

I have also seen listings that only show maintenance fees and not the property taxes and reserve fees. So I'm careful when comparing the listed annual fees. The property taxes are only $159 at Kings' Land which is very low compared to Sea World which I recall being about $200+/- even though my Sea World property is quite a bit fewer points at 8400 versus 12,600 at Kings land.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...ith-the-lowest-mfs.249249/page-2#post-1958317

This post I referenced earlier for the 2017 MFs mostly appear to include the property taxes.

$0.0959/point at 12600 (assuming you can get that specific amount in some combination) points for Boulevard works out to 1208.34 per year. Almost 500 dollars less than the KL mf per year. So it really depends on if you want the comfort that comes with being able to book a year out to KL and how often you plan on going. If you are going to go there once every 5 years that trip is costing you an extra 2300 bucks.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

The $1675 at Kings Land for 12,600 points includes property taxes and is actually less pro rata then the annual fees of $1379.01 that I pay for 8400 points at Sea World.
I have been looking at many of the maintenance fees including taxes and to me the only valid way to compare is to divide the total fees inclusive of taxes and reserve by the number of points. e.g. king's Land $1675/12,600 points = .133 & Sea World $1379.01/8400 points = .164

On the secondary market it is hard to find large point quantities and the .133 ratio is one of the lowest available on the market now for this amount of points. Maybe I'm missing something but it is a simple math calculation for me.

I have also seen listings that only show maintenance fees and not the property taxes and reserve fees. So I'm careful when comparing the listed annual fees. The property taxes are only $159 at Kings' Land which is very low compared to Sea World which I recall being about $200+/- even though my Sea World property is quite a bit fewer points at 8400 versus 12,600 at Kings land.

I totally agree with your analysis of the $/point to analyze how expensive the maintenance fees are. We have 6 Platinum Hilton timeshares and the $/point for the lot are about equivalent to the Sea World Property that you quote. When we started buying we bought resales from the developer without knowing about the wide range of maintenance fees that we were getting. We bought a few South Beach properties because we liked the area and wanted to vacation there in the winter. The maintenance fees for that resort are really high but a few Las Vegas purchases have kept our annual maintenance fees within a reasonable amount. We get about 100 days of vacation for our maintenance fees which is less than $60/night at a Hilton timeshare which isn't a bad overall deal. However, if we had to do it over we would have bought more Vegas.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

For comparison I get 6.200 points at vegas for 581$ in yearly fees which makes it 0.0937 per point. My buyin was 5k for my 1BR at vegas. Just saying that if you dont tend to use the unit, you would be better offer looking for something else. Since the same unit would be kinda fairly easy to book 9 months out, I would definitely look for something else.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
For comparison I get 6.200 points at vegas for 581$ in yearly fees which makes it 0.0937 per point. My buyin was 5k for my 1BR at vegas. Just saying that if you dont tend to use the unit, you would be better offer looking for something else. Since the same unit would be kinda fairly easy to book 9 months out, I would definitely look for something else.

Right, but its much easier to find the high point KL units resale than those few 6200 point Vegas premier units.

I picked up a 14,400 KL 2br premier for $13k a year ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
6200 pt unit for $5000 or 14400 KL for $13K are outliers and not the norm at least in the current market / economic environment, one may not find such deals often. All the 14,400 units are listed upwards of $17K and a 6200 1BR may cost near to 7000 pt 2 BR Platinum Vegas.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
I am not saying the MFs are horrible. Assuming the fees quoted includes the 159 club fee then that puts the $/point at 0.12031746

I really think though it depends on if you are going to be using that resort often or often enough to make it worth it to you of course.

I myself like to get deals but sometimes you really have to just buy it so that you can use it and enjoy it.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started with a 7000 point vegas platinum. I soon realized I will need a lot more points, and instead of buying another 7K Vegas, got a 14400 pt KL. In 2016, we used over 21000 points and instead of staying 10 days , we stayed for 15 days in BI. If not for retail TS, I dont think I will take 15 day vacations, it is almost like shifting our home to the TS resort. My point is, if you make good use of what you own, buy what you need.. if you can save a few bucks, great, ultimately it is the experience that matters most

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
There was a recent thread with a discussion on the resorts with lowest MF: http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-hgvc-resorts-with-the-lowest-mfs.249249/

You can use that spreadsheet as comparison. I think you need to consider the purchase price of the unit in addition to just the MF to point ratio.

Personally i prefer to own at a resort i enjoy staying at. That is just a personal choice, some may feel the same, and others may be on the lookout for absolute lowest costs.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I am not saying the MFs are horrible. Assuming the fees quoted includes the 159 club fee then that puts the $/point at 0.12031746

I really think though it depends on if you are going to be using that resort often or often enough to make it worth it to you of course.

I myself like to get deals but sometimes you really have to just buy it so that you can use it and enjoy it.

We do not include the club fees in mf discussions, some people own multipe contract but we only pay one club fee. Club fees go to HGVC corporate to run the system not the resort.

I don't ever anticipate blowing 14.4k points on a one week stay, I prefer point stretching to get the max value. I can get 4 weeks in a one bedroom gold season phase 2, that brings my cost down to ~$400 a week.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
We do not include the club fees in mf discussions, some people own multipe contract but we only pay one club fee. Club fees go to HGVC corporate to run the system not the resort.

I don't ever anticipate blowing 14.4k points on a one week stay, I prefer point stretching to get the max value. I can get 4 weeks in a one bedroom gold season phase 2, that brings my cost down to ~$400 a week.

Yeah I wouldnt include the fee either. But I dont know if the poster included that or not. Looking at the 2017 MF list I dont see one that is near that number specifically that he mentioned. But the contract based on the points chart could be either the 1BR Prem, 2BR Plus, or the 3BR from what I can tell.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No my total annual fees about $1675 stated at start of this thread do not include the $159 annual club membership Hilton fee. They do include the maintenance and tax charges. One of the things that I have come across in some timeshare listings that only list the actual maintenance fees and do not include the property tax.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC KingsLand 2 Br Pre 14400 pts

2017 Reserve Fee $215.36 01/01/2017
2017 Operating Fee $1,275.67 01/01/2017
2017 Real Estate Tax $78.18 01/01/2017
2017 Hawaii GE Tax $62.11 01/01/2017
Total Amount Due $1,631.32

here is my 2017 mf for kl , which includes tax. since i have multiple units, club dues are paid only once.