• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great story! That car was meant to be yours.

A few months ago I had a MB 500 CL shipped to me. It's a 2001 with 46,000 miles. My dad had bought it new and passed it down for the price of shipping. It's been fun to read about what a forward thinking car it was at the time, along with its eye popping $95k original invoice price. (Thankfully for car tax purposes the car has depreciated to around $5k.) In the end, I love the ride and the power! Pure fun to drive.

Nice going! For me, it isn't about the collectability - the real value is in how the car makes me feel when I drive it. I'm not a lead foot or a show off. I just have a great love of fine cars, for the workmanship, and the experience of driving them. A friend said that means I'm a "motorist." :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As a 25 year old I went backpacking solo across Europe. Didn't see many other single female solo travelers. Enjoyed it so much went back the next summer and did the England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Again solo.

Had a little run in with a farmer and his tractor, his friend who drove into my car, and their Garda buddy. My spidy senses were up when the first question they asked me after "Are you hurt" was "Do you have any Money". I lied and said 20 punts, which was all that was in my wallet. I had a money belt with more cash. The next question was "Can you call someone to get some", I said I could call the Canadian Consulate. They put a quick NO NO NO. To that idea. They were speaking English until I walked up to them and they started speaking Gaelic amongst themselves. They were hatching a plot.

End result was I got charged with dangerous driving, they claimed I was on the wrong side of the road. I was not, I was going around a tractor parked on the side of the narrow road, with a hairpin turn just beyond it. Farmer moved the tractor, guy claimed I was on the wrong side of the road. Whatever. They knew I was leaving the country the next day to go to Scotland. So I posted my 20 punts bail and left. I'm sure they tore up the paperwork and went to the pub. Never heard a word again. Not long after that AMEX stopped providing CDW in Ireland. Makes for a good the time I went to jail story.

Wow! That's an incredible story! I've met a few solo female hikers along the way a time or two. Seemed confident, competent, and really pleased with their accomplishments. I'd agree. The most adventurous/dangerous things I've ever done roll through my head sometimes, and I kind of wonder how I survived them. (Traveling alone around southeast Asia, driving in Greece and Italy without knowing where I was going, getting lost in the countryside on foot after dark in Mauritius - not to mention all the places/cities at home I've wandered alone at all hours. In Washington DC in the mid-1970s I walked home through the Arlington National Cemetery area one night. Next day on the news they said someone had been murdered in the park around the same time I was there. I didn't do it, I swear...) At times like those I clearly hear my Mother's voice telling me to make sure I'm wearing clean underwear in case I'm in an accident. LOL!

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend said that means I'm a "motorist." :)
And when we travel, we shop where the locals shop, ride the same buses, attend the local church, and happily join in the evening walk, 'Paseo". I couldn't care less for the big resort hotel with the concierge desk, towel and beach chair concession and valet parking. That's the difference between a 'tourist', and a 'traveler'.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And when we travel, we shop where the locals shop, ride the same buses, attend the local church, and happily join in the evening walk, 'Paseo". I couldn't care less for the big resort hotel with the concierge desk, towel and beach chair concession and valet parking. That's the difference between a 'tourist', and a 'traveler'.

I am right there with you. I don't quite understand the people who arrive at a resort, plant themselves in a chair, and say, "Entertain me." They may as well be anywhere. I want to get out and see things, meet people, figure out what makes the place special. If I want to sit in a lawn chair all day, I can do it at home. :shrug:

Dave

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Driven through south Bridgeport and areas in Harlem, New Haven, etc. etc. unfamiliar with the neighborhoods, alone at night. Unarmed.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bax Ka' wali !

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, I really love how you "listen" and "feel" every story here. Your responses are as great as the experiences people are sharing - and there are some great stories!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I really love how you "listen" and "feel" every story here. Your responses are as great as the experiences people are sharing - and there are some great stories!

Thank you, Pam. :thumbup: I love people, and really try to identify with their experiences. I like hearing spontaneous stories from other people, particularly something that affected them deeply. The emotion of the moment colors the words they'll use to describe the situation.

Full disclosure: A goal of my retirement will be working to become a successful writer. I've done some published work in the past, mainly technical things, and I wrote some articles for trade magazines back when I was breeding exotic birds (parrots and such - a long term hobby I finally left behind about 20 years ago.) I believe written words are powerful, because everyone interprets them based on their own experience. And of course, since you can't "read" body language on a printed page, you have to paint vivid word pictures. Therein lies the greater challenge - to ensure the reader feels what was intended. It's a delicate dance.

Now, I know you've done some crazy things, haven't you? You've traveled a lot, and I know you've met some "colorful characters" in your day. What story is rumbling around the back of your memory, trying to get out? I'd love to hear it! ;)

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Driven through south Bridgeport and areas in Harlem, New Haven, etc. etc. unfamiliar with the neighborhoods, alone at night. Unarmed.

I did that a night in downtown Detroit. While waiting for a traffic light a cop stopped me and advised me NOT to wait for the lights and to get the heck out of there. I was coming from somewhere else and missed the turn to make the bridge to Canada and was trying to find my way back. Now if the cop tells you to NOT STOP, I'm not stopping.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! That's an incredible story! I've met a few solo female hikers along the way a time or two. Seemed confident, competent, and really pleased with their accomplishments. I'd agree. The most adventurous/dangerous things I've ever done roll through my head sometimes, and I kind of wonder how I survived them. (Traveling alone around southeast Asia, driving in Greece and Italy without knowing where I was going, getting lost in the countryside on foot after dark in Mauritius - not to mention all the places/cities at home I've wandered alone at all hours. In Washington DC in the mid-1970s I walked home through the Arlington National Cemetery area one night. Next day on the news they said someone had been murdered in the park around the same time I was there. I didn't do it, I swear...) At times like those I clearly hear my Mother's voice telling me to make sure I'm wearing clean underwear in case I'm in an accident. LOL!

Dave

I guess there are some advantages to being a 6'0" tall woman. At least I generally don't look like a target (or at least one you would want to take on).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I guess there are some advantages to being a 6'0" tall woman. At least I generally don't look like a target (or at least one you would want to take on).

HA! I work in a busy hospital with a woman who's about six foot tall, who frequently wears four inch heels for effect. She says she loves how she can intimidate people just by standing up, and looking down at them. :)

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HA! I work in a busy hospital with a woman who's about six foot tall, who frequently wears four inch heels for effect. She says she loves how she can intimidate people just by standing up, and looking down at them. :)

Dave
Yup it works. Especially on men who are NOT used to 6'3" - 6'4" women, because they think of themselves as tall already, notably the ones in 5'10 - 6'2".

I see a lot of thinning hair and bald spots from up there.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not terribly crazy, but buying a timeshare in South Africa, when I knew nothing about timesharing was quite a leap. After that, going to California to spend a week with Tuggers that I had only ever met on-line seemed relatively tame . Both events have changed my life for the better.

Was this "Us?" or a previous trip?

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Stressy, it was the trip I met you . :)

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, for whatever reason I thought you had met some before that trip. I guess it just "felt" that way...for all of us. Look at you now!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I was fine it never flipped

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

But, but, but Ralph Nader said it was unsafe at any speed!:cool:

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Been a skier most of my life but one run is etched permanently. I was in my late 60's and decided to "ski my age" before the divergence of age and body got too large.

I got a demo pair of Volkls at The Canyons, went to a Looong groomed Blue-Black run (name escapes me now but it was at the far right of the resort), tightened my helmet, took a practice run to check conditions, went back up, waited until there was nobody around (and no patrol in sight) and let them run.

When I checked the GPS afterwards, it showed 85.1 MPH. I may or may not believe it and it may or may not be accurate but I've kept the record:cool:. Definitely hit my age and having hit 50-60 MPH many times, it felt much faster so 85 is my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Been a skier most of my life but one run is etched permanently. I was in my late 60's and decided to "ski my age" before the divergence of age and body got too large.

I got a demo pair of Volkls at The Canyons, went to a Looong groomed Blue-Black run (name escapes me now but it was at the far right of the resort), tightened my helmet, took a practice run to check conditions, went back up, waited until there was nobody around (and no patrol in sight) and let them run.

When I checked the GPS afterwards, it showed 85.1 MPH. I may or may not believe it and it may or may not be accurate but I've kept the record:cool:. Definitely hit my age and having hit 50-60 MPH many times, it felt much faster so 85 is my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

Cheers

That must have been exhilarating! I've never been a skier, but I remember some of the crazy sled runs I did as a kid in Alaska. No doubt at a much slower speed, but they certainly got my attention. Can't imagine going that fast. Good on ya!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Many years ago - about 45 years - I jumped off a 60 foot cliff into 12 feet of water. Due to the terrain you only had about a 5 foot running start to get far enough away from the rocks. Luckily there was a very soft mud bottom. Several years later a friend of mind accidently rode a motorcycle off the same cliff. He was not familiar with the area. He woke up on the bottom and after crawling out he discovered his right arm was about 6 inches shorter than his left. He had broken his arm just below the ball of the joint and it was shoved up past the joint.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Most "crazy things" happen to me on accident. At times I feel blessed or cursed that life so far has been one crazy dealio after another. Mostly blessed because the bad crazy has always worked out. Much of the crazy happens while playing outdoors, at a bar or at work. Stranded on a sinking vessel in the Pacific, stranded in the mountains overnight in a snowstorm while snowmobiling at least 4 times, stranded on a river bank launching my boat a few times, being chased by dogs, geese, bees, a bear, angry loosers , chasing dogs, fish , whales, kids, helping save lives ( Im 2 out of 4), and so much more.

The most recent crazy thing was my last snowmobile adventure. Epic snow. I had a 2011 Artic Cat M-800. We were up high in the Cascades and it was deep powder. My buddies were getting stuck and while helping one of them get unstuck three times I didn't feel right. I thought I pulled a shoulder muscle. There wasn't really any pain but because we were going to Playa del Carman in a few days I decided to ride back to the truck and wait. I rode about 15-20 miles back to the truck and loaded my sled and took it easy in the truck. A few hours later I was heading home. About 30 hours later my lung started to colaspe and my wife took me to the ER. I was told I had a heart attack and the next 6 days were a blur. In the last 10 weeks Im on the way back to my new normal thanks to many people and cardiac rehab.

This last Saturday a buddy called for help as his Jeep was really stuck in the mud and I was likely the only one that knew where he was. My wife wouldn't let me go help alone so I grabbed my son and off we went. My first adventure after my heart attack was pretty fun and muddy.

Bill

20170325_164654.jpg~original
20170325_164631.jpg~original

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most "crazy things" happen to me on accident. At times I feel blessed or cursed that life so far has been one crazy dealio after another. <snip> My wife wouldn't let me go help alone so I grabbed my son and off we went. My first adventure after my heart attack was pretty fun and muddy.
<snip>
Bill
<snip>
Good thing your wife has lots of common sense & I bet, she has a direct line to the big man up above.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Most "crazy things" happen to me on accident. At times I feel blessed or cursed that life so far has been one crazy dealio after another. Mostly blessed because the bad crazy has always worked out. Much of the crazy happens while playing outdoors, at a bar or at work. Stranded on a sinking vessel in the Pacific, stranded in the mountains overnight in a snowstorm while snowmobiling at least 4 times, stranded on a river bank launching my boat a few times, being chased by dogs, geese, bees, a bear, angry loosers , chasing dogs, fish , whales, kids, helping save lives ( Im 2 out of 4), and so much more.

Wow!! Remind me never to go outside with you! LOL! :D

Seriously, Bill, you're lucky to be with us. Hang on - the ride's not over yet.

Dave
Many years ago - about 45 years - I jumped off a 60 foot cliff into 12 feet of water. Due to the terrain you only had about a 5 foot running start to get far enough away from the rocks. Luckily there was a very soft mud bottom. Several years later a friend of mind accidently rode a motorcycle off the same cliff. He was not familiar with the area. He woke up on the bottom and after crawling out he discovered his right arm was about 6 inches shorter than his left. He had broken his arm just below the ball of the joint and it was shoved up past the joint.

Ok, now that hurts just thinking about it! Glad you're ok, but bummer about your friend! I hope they fixed his arm!

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
Craziest? Not sure what all qualifies, but in Cabo we went against most rules of thumb. A hurricane was forecast to hit the day we left, so early in our week, we took the rental car to Cabo Pulmo. It was overcast and there was to be rain on the way but not at destination, and not much rain. we had some drizzle in the mountains and then back to sunny. Cabo Pulmo is primitive, getting to it was great fun - gravel road in our compact rental, waiting for steer to clear the road... it was a great experience! completely different way of thinking about a traffic jam. dirt pollution vs exhaust fumes. we stopped many times for photos of steer or cactus. We were not bold enough to be on foot WITH the steer as neither of us are cowboys and wary of wild animals.

Ocean was rough, ex isn't a strong swimmer, couldn't figure out his flippers, etc., so I went to snorkel the largest living coral reef in NA by myself. I am a big buddy system believer but he chose correctly. I was a competitive swimmer from age 4, a lifeguard for a long time, and in plenty of rough oceans so not concerned for saving myself. I only went out far enough to see something, ANYTHING, but of course so much churn I couldn't see much, and didn't stay out long as I was concerned lightning could be on its way as the skies got cloudy .... I generally kept my head down watching fish and waiting for clear so I could see the coral colors but poked up every so often to figure where I was, how far waves took me. I did not want to panic my anxiety-prone ex. If I got into trouble, he would be helpless, although he can speak Spanish! There were few people around and that would be the extent of help. I figured I would have to get back there one day when a hurricane wasn't coming. darn it.

So, we left Cabo Pulmo to get back before dark.

Remember that rain in the mountains? It washed out a road. There was a handful of cars and trucks already stopped when we arrived, in sunshine. We got out, like pretty much everyone else, and walked down to our edge of the water. Already, men were taking off their shoes and wading into the water to find the shallowest part to cross, turning back as they hit waist high. Time goes by, we're all just hanging out in the dessert, locals and tourists, by then many dozen vehicles on each side. Dusk comes and night creatures begin their mysterious noises.

They have located the highest part, some rocks, and some pickup trucks try it, with varying levels of success, but many men in the water helping to keep vehicles moving. We figured we needed to wait until a car as small as ours made it through. That was another hour or two. Eventually I had to, well, urinate, with some urgency. I watched for a while to make sure no direct witnesses, and popped a squat between the open front and open rear doors, feet from a cactus. At least we had excess napkins from picnic lunch and hand sanitizer.

Refreshed, we watched some more until 3 cars our size had made it. We got in line.

The man told us to roll up the windows, and gave ex whatever instructions he gave. We had watched the path of the car in front of us and saw the "spotter men" for the slalom course "boundaries". But, our little car slid off a rock, and they put us back up there, showed us next "hop" to make, and we again were in float position, replaced again, only a couple more hops, and we made them!! WOOO HOOO!!!! GRACIAS GRACIAS!!!

and we're on our way. Far from the tourist corridor, at night, with a vehicle that had just had a wash of undetermined damage. We had enough fuel to go for it and not stop. We made it back to our condo in San Jose without incident. No bandidos, only the generous and hardworking men that helped masses of strangers get their cars through that water.

Whew, that was an adventure!

But wait, still the hurricane, looking like a direct hit, on the day we leave. What should we do? It's a glass airport, that's a creepy place to be for a hurricane, but far enough inland to maybe be ok? Tentative plan, turn in rental car and be prepared to shell out for something we can't foresee. A nervous few days, our tv carried American programming and not weather channel - and no internet - so we relied on resort staff, which turned out to be a perfectly acceptable thing to do! The hurricane was projected to hit higher up the coast so we should be alright. yay! tornadoes, I know what to do. Hurricane in a foreign land? yikes, but not so scared as to cut trip short. Good call, as it turned out. The one thing we should have considered and did not: hurricane rain is going to wash out roads! DOH. it took longer to get to the airport, no total washouts, but not full lanes all the way, either.

Not sure that was the craziest thing I've done, but I sure wish we would have had a pic of the mud covered car before the hurricane rain to prove it. No extra charges on that vehicle, by the way. Thank you, Avis!

I've been to Cabo twice since and haven't made it back there ... but, hey, one of those trips 3 of us took surfing lessons and saw Hotel Cali so certainly not a loss. But, still, Cabo Pulmo is a must on my next trip. I had hoped 2017 but looking to change jobs so maybe not.... sigh.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I can’t talk about the craziest things that ever happened and fortunately it all happened before Iphones and the Internet. So, there is no digital record and it is like it never happened. Whew. :)