• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport - Nov/Dec?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how is the weather at NCV in Nov/Dec?
College Daughter wants to use her pass to Disneyland before it expires (she was CM at WDW)

Wondering if weather is ok at NCV and if that is an ok base for a few days of Disneyland and a few days of other (are Whales around that time of year?)

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
College Daughter wants to use her pass to Disneyland before it expires (she was CM at WDW)

Wondering if weather is ok at NCV and if that is an ok base for a few days of Disneyland and a few days of other (are Whales around that time of year?)

Nov/Dec is variable in SoCal. I recall a rainstorm leaving Disneyland the day before Thanksgiving one year when it rained buckets (and I mean buckets). I recall a Christmas Day in Santa Barbara when it was clear, 70 degrees, and we went into the ocean (about 100 miles northwest of Disneyland).

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent the holidays (Christmas week) at Newport this past December and the weather was spotty at best. Cool, overcast and rain for the most part - chilly evenings. If you are going for beach weather, i would suggest going elsewhere.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I remember Thanksgivings growing up in southern California that were quite warm. But as has already been posted, the weather can be iffy.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We often go there in Nov and love it.
It isn't warm for SoCal but very warm compared to most all the US. We find the temp between 50 to the high 60s.
Can it rain, sure; but it is often just a day or two not the whole week.

I'd go for it

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I see that you're from Savage, Mn. Home of "Dan Patch". I live about 60 miles south of Newport Coast. While Nov and Dec can be "spotty", it is usually quite nice. I'd estimate that 3 of 4 thanksgivings are delightful. Currently we are experiencing a 2X rain season ("El Nino") and we were in Newport in early December. I think that we had one day of rain. Cool (perhaps mid 60's during the day) but, hey, if you are coming from Savage, that is pretty delightful. Because you are from Mn., any day in December in the 60's is a blessing and likely is shirt-sleeve weather Right now I have been seeing good availability in Nov and Dec. at NCV. I own a Marriott, so this may be in "priority".

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early December is a great time for whales. If you get an ocean view unit, you'll be able to see a few from your balcony. If not, head down to Pelican Point at Crystal Cove State Park. Or you can always take a whale watching boat.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is normally quite nice. It isn't unusual for us to walk on the beach on Christmas day. There are usually one or two weeks within Nov/Dec that we get cooler weather and once in a while some rain. This has been our rainiest season in many years. I think we didn't have rain during those months for the 3 years prior. While there is no guarantee, chances are, it will be a very nice time to visit.

ETA: As far as using it for a base for Disneyland, it's actually a longer drive than I like. If traffic isn't too bad, probably 30-45 minutes.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1

I live about 10 miles from NCV. The weather is nice in Nov/Dec. It seldom rains and when it does its usually over in a day. Those months would be perfect for going to Disneyland. Just avoid the holiday weeks due to crowds.

Reactions: jme

taffy19

Reaction score
You are right but last December we spent a week in Laguna Beach and it was very cold plus we had rain. This winter has been much cooler and we have had an unusual amount of rain. We needed it so Californians are not complaining.

I notice that the OP is coming from a location in a cooler climate so it may be feeling nice and warm in comparison.

Normally, the weather is quite nice and we prefer the winter months to visit the beach but you cannot predict weather at all anymore just like everywhere else.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that you're from Savage, Mn. Home of "Dan Patch". .... Because you are from Mn., any day in December in the 60's is a blessing and likely is shirt-sleeve weather

I need to update that. Decided to escape the cold and taxes and now enjoy being free from both in TX.

HereAndThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure your daughter knows this since she worked at WDW, but the time around any holiday at Disneyland can be a nightmare. Your best bets are the weeks after Thanksgiving into mid-December. Our weather is usually in the upper 60s, which is great for the park, plus fall isn't really our "rainy season." Also, whales are off our coast regularly--there are a lot of them right now--but December should have more sightings, and there are always dolphins.

rpk113

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to go off topic, how is February weather wise? seems I hear the same thing. It varies..

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not to go off topic, how is February weather wise? seems I hear the same thing. It varies..
February is similar to Nov/Dec. Nice. Some times showers but typically not much.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The pools are heated so they feel very good when you're in them. But getting out and back to the unit can be a little chilly depending on the air temperature. They also have hot tubs.

Bring a warm robe and you should be fine.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Pool weather? (Note were coming from NY)
I was born in California and lived there my entire life. I wouldn't swim (outside) in February, November or December.