• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Airlines Has Decided to Completely Stop Overbooking Flights

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Southwest Airlines Has Decided to Completely Stop Overbooking Flights
By Allison Sanchez/ Life/ UPROXX/ uproxx.com

"Two free checked bags, zero rescheduling fees, and now a guarantee that they won’t brutally drag you off of the plane screaming? Why, Southwest, you spoil us!

Southwest’s CEO, Gary Kelly, announced to CNBC today that the airline will no longer overbook flights.

“I’ve made the decision, the company has made the decision, that we will cease to overbook going forward,” Kelly said. “We’ve been taking steps over the last few years to prepare for this anyway.” They have yet to announce the exact date that the new policy will be put in place but indicated that it will be soon...."

gettyimages-83308248-jpg.jpeg

Getty Image

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Laudable, but perhaps easier for Southwest than other carriers, simply by virtue of only having ONE aircraft type. They all hold the same number of seats, and with their boarding system of the 3 rows of passengers lined up to board, the gate agents KNOW how many seats the flight will hold. It would be darn near impossible to have more passengers than seats.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that for airlines that overselling allows them to keep costs down overall for all fliers. Those seats that are sold that don't fly are additional profit for the airline, with margins as tight as they are, if they stop overselling, then prices will have to rise. Southwest is already too expensive for us. They are not competitive on any routes that I have checked recently. This will make them even less so.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
It seems that for airlines that overselling allows them to keep costs down overall for all fliers. Those seats that are sold that don't fly are additional profit for the airline, with margins as tight as they are, if they stop overselling, then prices will have to rise. Southwest is already too expensive for us. They are not competitive on any routes that I have checked recently. This will make them even less so.
Hi Dioxide45,

I'm curious, does this hold true even when Southwest has their reduced fare sales?

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having flown SWA for years over basicly the same route ... overbooking has been happen less and less.

It is a matter of the math ... and having the flights occupancy/seats sold history for modeling.

And yes, while flight cost might be higher weeks out in the future ... the day of flight price might be the cheaper.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love Southwest. They are always my carrier of choice if they have the route I need. I've never experience being bumped and I don't even remember any announcements of overbooking when I've flown them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi Dioxide45,

I'm curious, does this hold true even when Southwest has their reduced fare sales?

Richard
I don't follow Southwest prices that often, so I am only checking when I am checking for a specific trip and we have never really found them to be cheaper. We used to love AirTran and flew them almost exclusively for years to Florida, Aruba and Cancun until Southwest gobbled them up.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I love Southwest. They are always my carrier of choice if they have the route I need. I've never experience being bumped and I don't even remember any announcements of overbooking when I've flown them.
Which is odd, as based on reports, Southwest involuntarily bumped more passengers than any other large airline last year.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Which is odd, as based on reports, Southwest involuntarily bumped more passengers than any other large airline last year.
I know, I read that. I'm just going by my experience. Maybe it's the routes I fly?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Personally, I will (and have many times) paid more to fly on Southwest when a comparable flight was less expensive on other legacy airlines. Being 6'5", I find SW coach seats more comfortable than most any other airline. In addition, between the usually friendly service, free baggage, free itinerary changes and ability to get credit when your flight goes on sale long after your original purchase (of which I have taken advantage of several times), I gladly pay a small premium (sometimes) to fly them vs. United / Delta / American / etc.

The addition of this new feature of not overselling will just make me an even more loyal customer. I'm sure there are still plenty of people who will choose other airlines to save even $5 -- I'm sort of glad those people will not be flying on SW with me...

Kurt

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It seems that for airlines that overselling allows them to keep costs down overall for all fliers.
That assumes overselling is the only way to cut costs. They can cut costs any number of ways.
Or they can simply decide to profit a bit less. Or maybe just gamble that this policy will increase overall sales enough to make up for nonoverbooking loss.

I like Southwest as well. They are virtually always friendly AND funny. And I missed my flight once and they just put me on the next one as standby, no extra charges, no lecture, just friendly.

That said, their seating policy bugs me sometimes. I really hate taking a risk that I won't be able to be seated next to my family. I don't like it and my son can't stand it. He gets very scared and started crying when it happened on a SW flight recently. You can plan and plan and get an A boarding pass and be at the airport early etc but then something happens and you end up in the bathroom a little too long (the kind of thing that can happen with kids) and all of a sudden you're last to board and you can't sit next to each other. It really sucks.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, their seating policy bugs me sometimes. I really hate taking a risk that I won't be able to be seated next to my family. I don't like it and my son can't stand it. He gets very scared and started crying when it happened on a SW flight recently.

We are a family of 3. Loyal SW customers for years. We make a habit of checking in at T24 and typically get something in the B's. I don't worry that the 3 of us can sit together, but 2 of us need to so DD can have a parent with her.

Well....it finally happened a couple of weeks ago, we were out an about and I forgot to check in at T24 (it was more like T18) and we ended up with high Cs. The worry set in. Once at the airport I checked in with the gate to see if they were selling any leftover A1-15 boarding passes, they were so I upgraded 2 of our tickets (cost $80) and all was fine. A bit of an expensive lesson just because I forgot to check-in....but worth it to us.

Next fights, I will be sure to set a reminder/alarm on my phone to check in on time!

On a side note: on the second leg of that flight I ended up sitting next to a SW flight attendant. I asked her if they would ever force the issue of a kid by themselves. She said it almost always works out, if nobody volunteers to give up their seat so a parent can sit with a child, then she starts offering free drink vouchers and usually someone does. She said the biggest cause is normally families coming in on a connecting flight that was delayed.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
First time my 12yo nephew was travelling without Mom or Dad ... with me only ... we volunteered for a bump ($300 each) for a little over a 2hr wait...overbooked flight to WDW on Saturday 9AM flight of MLK Weekend. Called and asked his mother ... and she was certain he would freaked after the original plane left the gate. He and I talked, accepted the deal, got a snack after looking at every vendor stand in the terminal ... enjoyed the new flight down and found our luggage in our 1bdr condo at AKV by the time we checkin.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
On a side note: on the second leg of that flight I ended up sitting next to a SW flight attendant. I asked her if they would ever force the issue of a kid by themselves. She said it almost always works out, if nobody volunteers to give up their seat so a parent can sit with a child, then she starts offering free drink vouchers and usually someone does. She said the biggest cause is normally families coming in on a connecting flight that was delayed.

Well I think that really depends. My son and I were separated on a SW flight. I had even asked for help from the attendants earlier but they gave the seats they were 'saving' for us to another group of people. And then we were scrambling to find seats. I almost just got off the plane. The attendants were not helpful in that situation.
To make matters worse, the only reason we were late boarding was he had to go to the restroom and it took a long time. I had even paid extra for A boarding passes and we were at the gate an hour early.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid swa if traveling with someone else. I do not want to sit beside some stranger. To me their boarding policy is not worth any gains.

Maybe swa not having high priced last minute seats makes it easier to not overbook.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We always utilize the early bird check in. Sure it's $15 each way but, I'm not paying for luggage and I'm not paying to select a better seat or extra leg room or any other annoying fee. We're always In the A boarding group and have never had an issue sitting together. Unless your in the last boarding group and probably towards the end of the last boarding group, I doubt you'll have an issue sitting together.

Actually, SWA's boarding process is one reason we prefer them. Just get on and sit down. No gate lice in boarding group 10 blocking everyone else by standing in front of the gate, all worried they have to be the first in group 10 because they've brought a ton of carry on bags. SWA's boarding process is simple, orderly and quick

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have travelled on SWA several times with minors ... who should NOT be seated away from me. Never had a problem ... plus I encourage the kids to pick where we sit.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Actually, SWA's boarding process is one reason we prefer them. Just get on and sit down. No gate lice in boarding group 10 blocking everyone else by standing in front of the gate, all worried they have to be the first in group 10 because they've brought a ton of carry on bags. SWA's boarding process is simple, orderly and quick
Couldn't agree more! :clap:

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This the way it should be. No overbooking and no bumping. Standby ok.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid swa if traveling with someone else. I do not want to sit beside some stranger. To me their boarding policy is not worth any gains.

I happen to think of their boarding policy in a positive way. Let's face it, you will always have to sit near or around a stranger on a plane. If only 2 traveling....there will always be someone in the 3rd seat. Southwest boarding policy gives you the option to pick who surrounds you.

Example: You get on the plane, pick your seats and settle in. Then all of a sudden the row behind you fills with (you pick it)....someone that appears to have the flu, a screaming baby, a fighting couple, someone that really needs a bath or at least a stick of deodorant. You simply get up and move to another seat (assuming you don't wait to the last minute to do this). No issues, no questions.

With assigned seating, you are stuck. With SW, at least there is a potential option for you.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Actually, this policy might create more opportunities to fly standby, and thereby create revenue if they charge a standby fee.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Having flown SWA for years over basicly the same route ... overbooking has been happen less and less.

It is a matter of the math ... and having the flights occupancy/seats sold history for modeling.
My experience flying overall (and very seldom on Southwest) is that the frequency of bumping has decreased greatly over the last ten years - at least on the flights that I fly. I used to routinely collect at least two bumps per year - which would pay for at least one free flight. The airlines have become much better in predicting passenger loads.

I don't follow Southwest prices that often, so I am only checking when I am checking for a specific trip and we have never really found them to be cheaper. We used to love AirTran and flew them almost exclusively for years to Florida, Aruba and Cancun until Southwest gobbled them up.
I periodically check SW for my flights out of SEA, and only rarely are they cheaper than Alaska. And on Alaska I'm far less likely to need to make a connection.

Actually, this policy might create more opportunities to fly standby, and thereby create revenue if they charge a standby fee.
The other part will be the pricing for cancellable tickets. If someone buys a ticket, then has a last minute change in plans, they will get the revenue from the change. They can play the math with ticket pricing and cancellation fees, as well as standy charges, to make this revenue neutral.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $ saved is directly proportional to the inconvenience caused.
In order for the airline to have savings from overbooking, the airline has to be pretty tight fisted on the $ it offers passangers who are bumped. After all, the airline loses money for each passengers they have to pay any $ to, and they only come out ahead when there are actual no shows.
If the airlines offer too much money to bumped passengers, overbooking ends up being not helpful to anyone.
I read somewhere that if overbooking were to become illegal, the entire airline industry would need to cough up an additional 23m annually, and that profits last year were over 35 billion.
So all in all, it's surprising to me that more airlines haven't announced that they will end overbooking.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We always utilize the early bird check in. Sure it's $15 each way but, I'm not paying for luggage and I'm not paying to select a better seat or extra leg room or any other annoying fee. We're always In the A boarding group and have never had an issue sitting together. Unless your in the last boarding group and probably towards the end of the last boarding group, I doubt you'll have an issue sitting together.
The two specific examples in this thread were:
- When a connecting flight gets delayed
- When even after having group A boarding passes something happens at the airport to cause a delay for those passengers (in my case, a long bathroom visit by my son)

I generally like SW and I even think the boarding policy is pretty good. BUT there are very legitimate reasons someone might have a group A boarding pass and yet actually board the plane with group B or C and then end up sitting separately. Good planning only goes so far. Sometimes bad things happen.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I keep hoping to be able to get a bump and some cash for agreeing to a later flight, but it never happens. I guess it's not likely to happen now, since SW is about the only airline we fly in the contiguous 48 states.