• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spain Marriotts in March: Easy trade?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi all,

We are thinking of going to Spain in March (or less likely April) 2019 with the vague idea of a cycling vacation. Probably Mallorca. Wouldn't mind a 3BR unit, so that we can have a group to ride together.

I have a Barony Beach 2BR on deposit and I know this will be a pretty easy trade with a Marriott unit.

However, my Hyatt 2BR unit would trade into a 3BR non-Hyatt property (because Hyatt is points based for II trading and 2BR units are given enough points to book 3BRs). The drawback to Hyatt is that you can't book in II more than 12 months out.

So what do you all think about my chances of getting a March 2019 Spain 3BR unit through II 12 months out with a non-Marriott property? It would be a little less expensive for me to trade into a 3BR using the Hyatt because I'd just pay the exchange fee and no upgrade fee.

Right now, there is a Marriott Tahoe week available that would suit a planned trip I have, so I could use my deposit for that.

I am a Marriott newby, hopefully I did not leave out any vital info.

(PS My Marriott week is EOY odd, so I won't have another week to deposit until 2019 if I use my current week to get the Tahoe trade. I have multiple exchange requests in through the Hyatt system for the Hyatts at Northstar and Incline Village, but I don't get more Hyatt points until late May, so I can't book through Hyatt right now.)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Majorca is very popular for cycling.
The Club Son Antem Resort has very, very few 3 Bed units though (as I know when we submit our preferences for ours), they are almost all 2 Bed units so you would have a much better chance of exchanging into one of these.
It is also a rural resort, set on two golf courses with direct access to quieter roads.
The other Spanish resorts are between the main highway and the beach.
You would really need to head inland a little to find quieter roads for cycling.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Marriott's Marbella and Playa Andaluza resorts have good availability up until mid-March...sometimes a bit later. Then they become increasingly harder to get. Lots of availability in February. Car rental prices also climb around 1 April or so. That's when tourist season on the Costa del Sol begins.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Thanks everybody.

So it sounds like none here have a sense for whether Marriott preference is necessary to obtain a March unit in Spain?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 3-bedrooms in March with a two-bedroom non-Marriott, non-hotel branded timeshare, and I've been seeing them for 2018 in my searches as well. Didn't even need a OGS. You should be able to get this trade.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I've gotten 3-bedrooms in March with a two-bedroom non-Marriott, non-hotel branded timeshare, and I've been seeing them for 2018 in my searches as well. Didn't even need a OGS. You should be able to get this trade.

Thanks so much, this really helps a lot!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Marriott Preference not necessary for March & April for Spain (however I don't know about Mallorca availability. It's not one I usually check).
Sometimes Getaways are also available especially March

Here are my bulk sightings (see posted date compared to checkin date)
2016 stays - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...la-beach-resort-april-two-three-bdrms.235649/
2016 stays - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/ii-marriotts-playa-andaluza-april-two-bdrms.235650/
2015 stays - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/ii-marriotts-marbella-beach-resort-april-2015.221153/
2015 stays - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/ii-marriotts-marbella-beach-resort-april-2015.223961/
2013 stays - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...each-resort-april-one-two-three-bdrms.182060/

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Appreciate that post, Alwaysonvacation, and all those other sightings you post in the sightings forum.

We are going up to the Tahoe area over Labor Day week this year, for a cycling vacation. I saw a Northstar week come up today, so I grabbed it with my Marriott week.

I think I can prepay my Marriott MF for my 2019 week at the start of Barony's gold season 2018, and put in an exchange request using that for the March 2019 Spain week. Or failing that, trade in with my Hyatt.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Marriott preference even work for 2-3 bdr upgrade trades? I would think unit value would be more important. I understand Hyatts are great traders like Marriott's so if they are the same seasonal value you might also consider other factors like usage preference and expiration dates

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Does the Marriott preference even work for 2-3 bdr upgrade trades? I would think unit value would be more important. I understand Hyatts are great traders like Marriott's so if they are the same seasonal value you might also consider other factors like usage preference and expiration dates

My Marriott unit is a 2BR so trading for a 2BR unit would not be an upgrade. Trading for a 3BR is an upgrade & my understanding is that you cannot request an upgrade via OGS. So I'd have to see the 3BR unit in on-line inventory, thereby negating the Marriott preference. (I'm admittedly a little fuzzy on this detail- but this is how I think it works)

For Hyatt, when we trade in II, we get a certain number of points which is just based on unit size/season. Owners of 2BR Gold and better Hyatt units (I own gold) are given enough points to trade into 3 BR units through II. So it's not so much the trading power of my Hyatt week- its 'do I get enough points for it?'. The answer is yes. The drawback to Hyatt is that I can't request more than 1 year out.

So one option is to use the Marriott preference & trade the Marriott unit for a 2BR (to be sure I have something) and then try to upgrade in size, which leads me to paying: exchange fee, eplus, and upgrade fee. Versuses not taking advantage of the Marriott preference, trading with my Hyatt week and paying only a single exchange fee, no eplus, no upgrade fee. Since my annual MF for the Marriott & Hyatt units are similar, it's actually cheaper for me to use the Hyatt to trade in if I want a 3BR unit.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right about the OGS for 3 bdr. I guess I was reading some other posts incorrectly. Marriott preference applies to online searches as well as OGS and I was asking if upgrades were ever available during this period in the online search.

lorribarnes

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted. I'm sorry but ads are not permitted in the TUG public forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the moment at MEM, both Marriott and WorldMark see March 2, 3, & 4, 2018. We'll keep an eye out when additional 2018 weeks are deposited, to determine whether Marriott priority is required for March.

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Has anyone seen the Marriott Marbella resorts available in September or early October for an exchange through Interval. I have an ongoing request using my Hyatt but wondering if it is even feasible?