• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our last trip we spent a couple nights in a beachfront condo in Akumal on Half Moon Bay with gave us time to more fully explore Tulum and Akumal. I highly recommend La Buena Vida, an oceanfront restaurant and bar sitting right on Half Moon Bay
Do you recommend? If so which one?

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are describing the way we felt about Cancun in general before finding WLR. On our most recent trip we never really experienced what you described, so maybe it was because you went in peak season and we went in early May? Not sure. But we have usually found the service to be excellent, including pool side. There are always chair hogs everywhere, but we have not found it to be an issue in late April / early May. And also, we have used The One transportation provided by the resort and they charge $85 versus $65 for USA Transfers. Personally I do not find that excessive? I have found that for us the extra $20 is actually worth the convenience.

And really, I completely agree with BobPark56, the real advantage of staying at WLR is how easy it is to move around and visit other restaurants and local dining establishments. There is a whole world of interesting dining choices to visit off the resort and we rarely eat any planned meals at the WLR restaurants.

We love the fact that WLR isn't all inclusive, so it allows one to explore other areas and establishments in Cancun, as well as provide a good home base for trips to Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Akumal, and Playa del Carmen area. When we go to WLR, one day we are sitting by the great pools or on the beautiful beach. The next day we are driving around in a golf cart on Isla Mujeres and paying a nominal fee to eat and swim at the Zama Beach Club before heading back. The next couple of days we are snorkeling with turtles in Akumal and walking the streets of Tulum or Playa del Carmen, and day after that we might hit Xel Ha or Xcaret or just hit some of the many cenotes for snorkeling. On our last trip we spent a couple nights in a beachfront condo in Akumal on Half Moon Bay with gave us time to more fully explore Tulum and Akumal. I highly recommend La Buena Vida, an oceanfront restaurant and bar sitting right on Half Moon Bay.

We have traveled the Caribbean extensively, and have not found the extreme variety of dining and shopping choices and activities we have found available to us in Cancun while staying at WLR. I think the reason for that is because for so many years we went to all inclusive places in Mexico, and I think in order to make it worth it financially, we always felt tied down to the resort we were staying at.

* We have never been to Hawaii so can't speak to that.
Excellent post that gives us some great suggestions for our next trip, thanks.

Sent from my Lenovo K51c78 using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
As far as the resort vendors, when we were in Maui at WKORVN they had a vendor or two in the lobby of the north side each day and once a week they had a large vendor fair out on the lawn in front of both resorts. Very expensive vendors for the most part, but that's Hawaii.

I sat next to a husband/wife on our flight back to Baltimore. They stayed at one of the all-inclusives in Cancun .... can't remember the name ... and she hated it. They said the food was inedible for the most part. Drinks a plenty but they weren't drinkers. Anyway, I told her about Lagunamar with the kitchens, reasonable grocery stores nearby, pretty good food at the sports bar, half price happy hour and the fact that on many occasions I have sat next to people from area all-inclusive resorts who were eating at Lagunamar because the food was so much better. They were very interested in trying Lagunamar on their next trip. On second thought .... stay away .... don't want to share!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love both Cancun and Maui.

My home resort is Maui, and I could even envision living there permanently. However, Cancun is much easier to get to and for a short getaway of a week or less, it is a great destination. The beach is nice, and I enjoy the stronger waves. I don't have to deal with any traffic and there's a lot of variety of activities. I find WLR nicer if you want to relax at the resort proper. It is more spread out, and there's a wider beach than in Maui. I like the palapas on the beach. I also like history and the various Maya ruins not for away.

All in all, I like going to both places. Maui means a multi-week trip to make the long flight and time change worthwhile. Cancun could even be a weekend getaway for me as it is only a 2 hour flight. 5-7 days is about right for my wife and I.

Then there's St. John, where we also own EOY. A very different experience than Cancun, but worthwhile in its own right. Everything is more laid back and expensive, but the beaches and snorkeling are better.

As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. I'm glad all three exist and that I can visit them when I want to.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend? If so which one?

I sent you a private message since I am not sure I am allowed to advertise the VRBO property we rented here in this thread?

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as the resort vendors, when we were in Maui at WKORVN they had a vendor or two in the lobby of the north side each day and once a week they had a large vendor fair out on the lawn in front of both resorts. Very expensive vendors for the most part, but that's Hawaii.

I sat next to a husband/wife on our flight back to Baltimore. They stayed at one of the all-inclusives in Cancun .... can't remember the name ... and she hated it. They said the food was inedible for the most part. Drinks a plenty but they weren't drinkers. Anyway, I told her about Lagunamar with the kitchens, reasonable grocery stores nearby, pretty good food at the sports bar, half price happy hour and the fact that on many occasions I have sat next to people from area all-inclusive resorts who were eating at Lagunamar because the food was so much better. They were very interested in trying Lagunamar on their next trip. On second thought .... stay away .... don't want to share!
Listen you, this is a closed group! Keep all that good stuff to yourself and only share the negative!

Sent from my Lenovo K51c78 using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I love Maui but it is a very different experience or trip than Cancun. Hawaii to me is about exploring, hiking, snorkel g, beaches but in Cancun I tend to kick back more and totally unwind. It is extremely relaxing. I too would not go to Hawaii for just 1 week. But that said it is good that not every one loves Lagunamar. More openings for us.

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good post RLS50

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked another week at Lagunamar in November because we enjoyed our May trip so much. The question I have is...how do you book bldgs 100, 900 or 1400? The email I got from Vistana said the resort does not accept requests for those 3 buildings. We were in bldg 1100 last time, but when we walked the resort, the oceanfront view bldgs were amazing.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
We just booked another week at Lagunamar in November because we enjoyed our May trip so much. The question I have is...how do you book bldgs 100, 900 or 1400? The email I got from Vistana said the resort does not accept requests for those 3 buildings. We were in bldg 1100 last time, but when we walked the resort, the oceanfront view bldgs were amazing.
You need to own one of those oceanside units or luck out if one doesn't get occupied. Two of our units are oceanside and awesome! But we have yet to have a bad view unit (knock on wood).

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is new, we requested 900 for a Feb 2017 stay.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Only the end caps of 100, 900 and 1400 are Ocean Side units. The rest of the units (three 2BR per floor) are all regular units. We didn't request any of these buildings, but they put us in 900 on our last stay anyway.

The problem is that everyone will almost always request these three buildings. Why let everyone request it when only 1/5th of the people can actually be placed in these.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess we'll see what happens when we get there, no harm in asking. The endcaps that dioxide45 mentioned were our first choice, but even the front desk told us we had a snowball's chance in hell getting those rooms.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess we'll see what happens when we get there, no harm in asking. The endcaps that dioxide45 mentioned were our first choice, but even the front desk told us we had a snowball's chance in hell getting those rooms.
Endcaps, not even the same inventory

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think high floor is perhaps the most important thing. A high floor regardless of what building you are in will always get you a good view. Select the building based on what you want to be close to.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, we definitely are going highest floor. I just thought why not add a premium view as well.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may not be the best place to ask....so move if needed. We just bought resale Lagunamar. We had already rented a 2br week for June 11-18. Then, I rented a 1 bedroom 18-22 through the resort. The company managing the resale said it was going to take 12-26 weeks to transfer so we didn't think everything would be completed in time for our trip. But, now it is. My questions are:

1) where do you requests the building/high floor. A concierge emailed me and I responded explaining our situation (that we owners) and requested to stay in the same 1 bedroom for the entirety of the trip. But, it's been more than a week with no response?

2) does anyone have a bakery recommendation? It's my husbands and my son's 9 year birthday? I'd like to buy a bday cake preferably not from Costco but I will if it's my only option.

3) Do I need to contact Interval we have a 2 bedroom 1 week that I obviously won't be able to use in 2017 (at least not at Lagunamar in 2017). Assuming my options are to try to rent it out at Lagunamar or deposit into II. But, it keeps asking for my invitee code which I obviously haven't received.

Thanks for everyone in this forum for all the advice! It makes/planning so much easier!

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Only the end caps of 100, 900 and 1400 are Ocean Side units. The rest of the units (three 2BR per floor) are all regular units. We didn't request any of these buildings, but they put us in 900 on our last stay anyway.

The problem is that everyone will almost always request these three buildings. Why let everyone request it when only 1/5th of the people can actually be placed in these.
Agree. The same happened for us in January. They placed us in an end unit in building 900, though we had made no special request.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This may not be the best place to ask....so move if needed. We just bought resale Lagunamar. We had already rented a 2br week for June 11-18. Then, I rented a 1 bedroom 18-22 through the resort. The company managing the resale said it was going to take 12-26 weeks to transfer so we didn't think everything would be completed in time for our trip. But, now it is. My questions are:

1) where do you requests the building/high floor. A concierge emailed me and I responded explaining our situation (that we owners) and requested to stay in the same 1 bedroom for the entirety of the trip. But, it's been more than a week with no response?
They never responded to our actual villa request, but they answered other questions that I asked in the same email. We talked with another owner that had a studio and 2BR back to back. THey allowed them to just open up the lock off door from the studio to then have the whole 2BR the next week. The resort is large, so they should be fine meeting your request, though never any guaranties.

2) does anyone have a bakery recommendation? It's my husbands and my son's 9 year birthday? I'd like to buy a bday cake preferably not from Costco but I will if it's my only option.
I recall seeing some bakery items at Soriana.

3) Do I need to contact Interval we have a 2 bedroom 1 week that I obviously won't be able to use in 2017 (at least not at Lagunamar in 2017). Assuming my options are to try to rent it out at Lagunamar or deposit into II. But, it keeps asking for my invitee code which I obviously haven't received.

Thanks for everyone in this forum for all the advice! It makes/planning so much easier!
You should be able to sign up for interval. I don't know what the invitee code is. Is it a required field? I tried going through the new member process and it is asking for a "Solicitation #". Is that what you are referring to. It says it is a required field, but then only indicates to input it if you have one.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think high floor is perhaps the most important thing. A high floor regardless of what building you are in will always get you a good view. Select the building based on what you want to be close to.
I agree with this. When we went one of the units they offered us was 1st floor in the 900 building, direct oceanfront, but we didn't want to be on the first floor as we prefer the privacy of a higher floor. We have stayed on higher floors overlooking the large pools and courtyard and also in units overlooking the smaller pool and courtyard and enjoyed both locations for different reasons.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread on TUG about a couple's bad experience at Garza Blanca reminded me of something we experienced at WLR...

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/garza-blanca-nightmare.256020/

One day while walking out to the bus stop, WLR had representatives posted and stopping and warning guests leaving the property to beware of the 2 groups of timeshare salespeople out near the bus stop out front who were trying to convince WLR guests to come to either Villa del Palmar or properties run by the Vidanta Group. It sounded like multiple guests at WLR who got hoodwinked into going on these tours were all coming back and reporting quasi verbal intimidation (and some cases of very subtle physical intimidation) and / or being stranded and having to call their own cab after they took their tours and were not willing to buy anything.

I for one would never go on any tours like that anyway, but I did appreciate WLR providing warnings like that for their guests, some whom may not have been to Mexico before and not familiar with the way (some) timeshare sales work down there.

Just another reason we like WLR so much. It isn't any one thing so much as it is a bunch of little things they do to try and provide a good experience for their guests, on and off their property.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you dislike timeshare sales presentations, you will dislike Vidanta even more. We have been to 2, and they were the highest pressure, least ethical sale folks we have ever encountered. Their resorts are great, though...at least at the upper end of their inventory (Grand Luxxe, etc.).

blondietink

Reaction score
Also, be warned if you go to the Selecto grocery store. There are some very aggressive timeshare sales people after you check out and go down the escalator. They are at both the top and bottom. They will offer you some very good discounts on tours, but won't tell you that you would have to visit a timeshare presentation of 3 hours (YIKES!!!!) before you would get the discounted tickets. We have learned to tell them that our vacation is almost over and we are leaving the next morning.

gritmuncher

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar, Palace
Just back from Lagunamar. We were last year at Sun Palace and had not been back to Lagunamar for 3 years. Are very happy how Cancun has improved since we started to come (think the first time was 2011). No more need to go to Walmart: can just go to Soriana or Selecto! Also the mall across the street has come along big time: there is now a brand new steak place (Cambalache) that was outstanding. Also we like a lot the crepes place and the (new?) Taco place across from Hooters (loved that woman making the Tortillas and the drinks are excellent). Also had outstanding dinners elsewhere: at Fred's, Fritanga, La Dolce Vita and Tempo (check them out on TripAdvisor!). Eating at Lagunamar is not our thing.

This was the first time we brought our golf sets (last year I played the Moon Palace course with borrowed clubs). Played the Iberostar course this time on a completely empty course. Had so much fun that we plan to do it again in the future. Actually learned that you can store your clubs at that course and that you can play for $55 after 2 (reserve via the Lagunamar Concierge). Is a great deal since it is all-inclusive and you can drink as much as you want!

We only spend time on the beach so have no pool issues. Found that these days there are more tourists enjoying the beach and that there are always many who want to play volleyball at 4pm (in the past we had problems getting enough players!). Also, the service on the beach was much better than during the last 2 times we were there. Heard also that they have ordered 300 new beach chairs that should arrive imminently.

Discovered an interesting thing that may be of interest to soccer fans. Turns out that Hugo Sanchez owns the top floor of the Condo on the beach next to Aqua (across from Fritanga). He has 2 sculptures of himself on the balcony (one of him kicking a ball sideways with his feet above his head and one of him celebrating (like he used to after scoring a goal)).

We actually used transportation by Kalido Travel. Was excellent! Look them up on Facebook.

We like variety: we alternate stays at the excellent all-inclusive Palace resorts with stays at Lagunamar.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at a resale 2 bedroom Floating Platinum plus EOY. I am totally green on this system. With it being resale, how would we go about booking a week? Could we split and stay 2 weeks or more?

Thanks