• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions for Upcomimg Trip

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrive on Oahu August 23rd for 4 days/3 nights, staying at the Ohana East Hotel by Outrigger in Waikiki. Would like a recommendation for a place Ocean front for dinner one night while there. Prefer a seafood place within walking distance of hotel as we will not have a car on Oahu. My other question is regarding the drinking water. Is the water good or do we need to buy bottled water for coffee, tea and drinking? Reason I ask is that my water here in Vegas has a lot of chlorine and calcium so I have to have a filter on the kitchen sink.

From Oahu we head to the Big Island for 2 weeks at the Royal Sea Cliff Resort, thru RCI Exchanges. Here we will have a rental car for both weeks. I have the same question regarding the water. Also if anyone who has stayed here could recommend a floor/unit we could try to call ahead and request would be great. I doubt that we will be able to get ocean front views but any view of the ocean is better than a parking lot view.

Suzanne

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is for the Big Island. We usually buy bottled water, but it's mostly to take with us when we're at the beach, or out for the day. I use tap water for coffee and tea. Well really just for tea. I don't make coffee in the morning. Our morning ritual, wherever we're staying is to get up early (around 6 a.m.) and go for a walk. Somewhere along the way we stop for coffee and that's my morning fix. :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the tap water is just fine unless you are extremely sensitive to mineral content and/or taste. Why not try it first then if you find it not to your liking, you can get some bottled water when you're laying in groceries. Just about ANY place in Hawaii will be more comfortable than Las Vegas at this time of year! Enjoy!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Duke's http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ and the Hula Grill http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/ are ocean front restaurants close by, and are worth checking out.
Be sure to have the Hula Pie if you go to either restaurant. They are owned by the same chain.
Same chain also owns:

Kimo's - Lahaina, Maui
Hula Grill - Kaanapali, Maui
Leilani's on the Beach - Kaanapali, Maui
Keoki's Paradise - Poipu Beach, Kauai

I have been to all of the ones on Maui. And they are all very good.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I will try the Hula Pie. It sounds yummy.
Suzanne

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
8836307_orig.jpg

Ohh, it is yummy!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Duke's http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ and the Hula Grill http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/ are ocean front restaurants close by, and are worth checking out.
Be sure to have the Hula Pie if you go to either restaurant. They are owned by the same chain.

We like Duke's and the Hula Grill. Duke's is great for the breakfast buffet or lunch, but gets rather noisy at dinner time. Hula Grill is quieter and more romantic. Both have great food (including several fish choices) and both serve Hula Pies. Here's some pictures we took last February.

Hula Grill:
001%202017-01-31%2018-35-07%20-XL.jpg

Dukes:
003%202017-02-02%2010-40-59%20-XL.jpg

It's further to walk, but we also enjoyed the dinner show at House Without a Key:
002%202017-02-01%2018-11-11%20-L.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Does it have coconut in it? I love coconut but my friend hates it.
Suzanne
No, it usually doesn't. A true Mud Pie is a chocolate crust with coffee ice cream and whip cream on top. Sometimes they'll do it with mac nut ice cream. None of my family cares for coconut and they all love Mud Pie.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Does it have coconut in it? I love coconut but my friend hates it.
Suzanne
According to T S Restaurants, the chain that owns Duke's and Hula Grill:

Hula Pie is made with Kimo’s favorite macadamia nut ice cream piled high on a chocolate cookie crust and topped with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and more macadamia nuts.

They always offer the original and sometimes a 2nd type of Hula Pie. We've tried 3 kinds so far and all were incredibly good. My dad could eat one by himself and anyone attempting to snitch a bite would risk getting stabbed with his fork.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the places above are lots of fun and popular with tourist. But you should also consider going to Pearl Harbor and stopping at Nicco's Fish market on the way there or way back. If you don't want to rent a car, the Waikiki Trolly will take you there for $25 per day per person. Take the purple line.

https://fh-sites.imgix.net/sites/363/2017/03/30002000/E_MapGuide2017.pdf

Nico's gets fresh fish everyday from the market across the street. Lunch cost about $13 and dinner is $17 for the Furikake Ahi. Both are a great deal, but lunch style is pickup at the counter and dinner is sitdown and be waited on. So dinner price will be a little higher after leaving a tip. Dinner starts at 4 pm.

The Arizona is a big museum with lots to see. If you want tickets to the memorial, sign up for standby tickets when you get there. The tickets provide a boat ride to the memorial and a movie. But in any event, everyone will ask you if you went there when you get home. So go see what it is all about.

Eating on the beach in Waikiki is fun at the Shorebird. They have good fish and chips for lunch. But dinner is a little nicer with better food. However, you have to cook your own on a grill. Maybe checkout Happy Hour when you get there and decide what you like best.

http://shorebirdwaikiki.com/lunch/

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Great recommendations, Tom! I'm saving this thread for our next visit in April! (It always pays to get recommendations from a local!)

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. Love the Photos. Hula Grill and Dukes is on my list especially for that Hula Pie it looks amazing. Friends are happy it does not have coconut. :thumbup: Good to know there is a trolley that goes to the Arizona as my friends do want to go there.

Suzanne

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
. :thumbup: Good to know there is a trolley that goes to the Arizona as my friends do want to go there.

Suzanne

If you like the trolley, take the blue line on another day for a 2.5 hour ride or photo shoot of the most scenic drive of Hawaii. It was rated by a travel magazine as the second most scenic drive in the US. After you get back, transfer and take another line to downtown area to see historic sites or just go to Ala Mona Mall that is also one of the most beautiful outdoor malls in the US.

There is only so much you can do in Waikiki. Lots of people will sit on the beach day after day and relax. Maybe that is what appeals to you, but watch out for the sun. It is stronger than it feels and it is easy to get a bad burn really fast. Save that for later and see the scenic east side.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like the trolley, take the blue line on another day for a 2.5 hour ride or photo shoot of the most scenic drive of Hawaii. It was rated by a travel magazine as the second most scenic drive in the US. After you get back, transfer and take another line to downtown area to see historic sites or just go to Ala Mona Mall that is also one of the most beautiful outdoor malls in the US.

There is only so much you can do in Waikiki. Lots of people will sit on the beach day after day and relax. Maybe that is what appeals to you, but watch out for the sun. It is stronger than it feels and it is easy to get a bad burn really fast. Save that for later and see the scenic east side.

Thank you for the trolley help. We definitely want to see as much of the Island as possible during our short stay there.

Suzanne