• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to best use RCI

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Maui Bay Villas 1BR Plat 14.8k pts
Hi everyone, first post here, but I've been lurking a bit.

I have an annual 8400 point Kohala Suites deed. I found this site after I purchased my first unit at the Grand Waikikian. I got into a better MF/point deal at Paradise in Las Vegas. I did an owners update when I visited Kings Land. I made the mistake of not verifying some numbers until it was too late, and so now I have more points (yay), but at a higher maintenance fee. D'oh! When I can actually take more time off from work than 8400 points a year gives me, it'll definitely be through some high point value resale. No more developer points, thank you.

From a potential value perspective, RCI looks like it could be good. However, it seems like the RCI site when logging in via HGVC is a bit different then other RCI members; I see mentions of TPU (Trading Power Units) in other forums and the inventory shown seems to be fairly small compared to the actual units in RCI.

The thing that confuses me is this - how far out can you see availability in RCI? For instance, there are some resorts that I've seen in areas that don't come up in search. But if you do a resort listing they are there. I've then tried clicking on both the options that do show up (I can't look now due to system maintenance), and they never show any results.

So, for instance, I want to go to Maui next year - and might trade into Sands of Kahana. But, for 2019, I want to try Kauai. But I don't see anything that far out in Hawaii, but have seen 2019 inventory in other parts of the world.

Is it pretty much mandatory to do an on-going search to get good inventory? I don't want to start a search in case I end up changing my mind. Is there a way to modify it without paying another fee, assuming I didn't accept a search result?

Thanks for the great site, and great community.

-Matt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
RCI can be a good value primarily becuz they have resorts in places HGVC does not, or there may be times when a HGVC is not available. However, the quality of many RCI resorts is not on par with HGVC's high quality. Thus, some RCI resorts may be disappointing. HGVC compensates for that with an internal screen which will hide some of the lesser resorts from view; however, you can find them with a search of the RCI directory or a call to HGVC.

Do not worry about TPU's and such. HGVC has a corporate b2b account with RCI and that is what you use as a HGVC member. HGVC simply deducts the requisite HGVC points from your account.

Peep who use on-going searches (OGS) get first dibs at their desired resorts, while others get the leftovers... that does not mean you won't get what you want, just that, head to head, you're lower on the totem-pole. I've stayed in several good resorts w/o doing an OGS. If you don't accept a match, you get your $$ back.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi Matt and Welcome to TUG :hi:

From a potential value perspective, RCI looks like it could be good. However, it seems like the RCI site when logging in via HGVC is a bit different then other RCI members; I see mentions of TPU (Trading Power Units) in other forums and the inventory shown seems to be fairly small compared to the actual units in RCI.

Yes, HGVC members trade in HGVC points currency (not TPUs).
Here's what I wrote for the TUG Advice page. This will provide a brief overview.
RCI offers two exchange programs – RCI Weeks and RCI Points. Resorts affiliated with RCI can participate in RCI Weeks or RCI Points or both. HGVC members have access to both exchange programs.

RCI Directory of Resorts – http://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing

For RCI Weeks inventory
o Weeks can be booked as early as two years in advance and as late as two (2) days prior to check-in (however actual week availability varies by resort).
o It's best to place an ongoing search request as early as possible to get in the queue. What’s normally seen online are the leftovers after all ongoing requests have been satisfied.

For RCI Points inventory
o Weeks and/or nights can be available as early as 10 months in advance and as late as the day of check-in (however actual availability varies by resort).
o RCI Points does not support ongoing search requests. It requires a manual search. Based on the resort, availability can change constantly.
o To increase your odds of getting your desired travel dates it is best to start searching online as soon as the 10 month window begins (especially for peak travel dates)

RCI membership is included in the HGVC Club Dues. HGVC members use ClubPoints for RCI exchanges. HGVC has a set exchange rate for RCI exchanges (see table below). HGVC deducts ClubPoints from member’s account upon confirmation. Deposits are not required. Simply make the reservation or place an ongoing search request.
NOTE: HGVC members have access to RCI through the HGVC member website (not directly via an individual RCI account). As a result, standard RCI currencies normally associated with individual RCI accounts such as RCI Points or TPU values do not apply to HGVC members.

Number of ClubPoints Required for RCI exchanges

13043211824_86f95c533a_b.jpg
NOTE: Some areas are Red Season only year round (such as Hawaii, Florida, Nevada) while other areas support all three seasons (such as the Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, Tennessee)

For example
RCI Resort: Vacation Club II (RCI Code #5424) in northern Michigan has the following RCI Seasons
BLUE - Mar 15, 2014 thru Apr 26, 2014
BLUE - Nov 01, 2014 thru Dec 13, 2014
RED - Jan 04, 2014 thru Mar 15, 2014
RED - May 31, 2014 thru Oct 25, 2014
RED - Dec 13, 2014 thru Dec 31, 2014
WHITE - Apr 26, 2014 thru May 31, 2014
WHITE - Oct 25, 2014 thru Nov 01, 2014

Cancellation Policy:
Cancellation of a RCI reservation will result in forfeiture of the Reservation Fee.
In addition, cancellation made with the timeframes listed below will results in the loss of ClubPoints used to confirm the reservation:
 30 to 15 days in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 25% of the ClubPoints.
 14 to 6 days in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 50% of the ClubPoints
 5 days or less in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 100% of the ClubPoints

ClubPoints from a current or future use year will be returned to the Club Member’s HGVC account.
ClubPoints from previous use years may be deposited to RCI for a fee.
The thing that confuses me is this - how far out can you see availability in RCI? For instance, there are some resorts that I've seen in areas that don't come up in search. But if you do a resort listing they are there. I've then tried clicking on both the options that do show up (I can't look now due to system maintenance), and they never show any results.

Here are some reasons why you may not see availability in RCI:
(1) HGVC has a quality filter in place so we don't see all available inventory in RCI
(2) Availability is based on deposits and all weeks are not deposited. Availability is constantly changing. If no weeks are available at the moment then the resort is not displayed in your search results
(3) What you see online from the RCI Weeks inventory are the leftovers after all ongoing searches have been satisfied.

As a TUG Member, you have access to the TUG Sightings Forum where members post sighted availability at high demand/popular resorts and/or locations.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/

The TUG Sightings forum will give you some ideal on what is possible with the exchange companies. If you can travel anytime during the year, there is some good availability. The key is flexibility. ;)

Booking a timeshare is not like booking a hotel where there's lots of availability. Instead of determining where and when you want to go (like a hotel reservation), with timesharing sometimes your choices for when/where may be driven by whatever is available. The TUG Sighting Forum is great for that.

TUG Members also have access to the TUG Resort Database where you can view Resort Rankings and Reivews

Based on TUG rankings
Top RCI resorts - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Top RCI Resorts&top=RCI
Maui Resorts Rankings - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Hawaii | Maui&area=3&group=19 (includes resorts not affiliated with RCI)
Kauai Resort Rankings - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Hawaii | Kauai&area=3&group=18 (includes resorts not affiliated with RCI)
HGVC Resort Rankings - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Top Hilton Grand Resorts&top=Hilton-Grand

So, for instance, I want to go to Maui next year - and might trade into Sands of Kahana. But, for 2019, I want to try Kauai.

See this recent thread
Exchanging to the other Hawaiian Islands (2017) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/exchanging-to-the-other-hawaiian-islands.253498/

Is it pretty much mandatory to do an on-going search to get good inventory? I don't want to start a search in case I end up changing my mind. Is there a way to modify it without paying another fee, assuming I didn't accept a search result?

Yes, you can modify your search (assuming you didn't confirm a reservation) without paying another fee.

Ongoing searches only applies to RCI WEEKS Inventory. If you want to get the jump on inventory as soon as it becomes available it's in your best interest to create an ongoing search.

Keep in mind, for RCI POINTS Inventory you have to search online and exchange availability changes daily. Sometimes units are gone within minutes, hours, days and/or weeks after becoming available online. It varies based on resort/location demand, number of units available and travel dates available.

Here's what I wrote in another thread
In order to get a great trade with any timeshare exchange company you need to understand how it works. Some folks start their request too late and/or have unrealistic expectations that anytime they want to travel a week will be available. Once you understand how exchanging works, you'll be better prepared.

It is important to understand that exchangers only have access to what is deposited and not all weeks are deposited. The number of deposits by each resort varies. You will have no idea how many weeks are actually deposited in RCI (for example it could be 1, 10, 30, 60 or 100s), what time of year they make deposits, which weeks do they deposit (Winter, Spring, Fall or Summer week) and where are you in the exchange queue (there could be several folks already ahead of you requesting the same location with equal trading power).

Some destinations will be harder to exchange into than others. It depends on supply and demand. There will be lots of competition for high demand resorts/location during the peak travel seasons. There will be lots of exchange competition at destinations were most folks want to visit (beach areas in the summer, major city, ski resorts during ski season, national park areas, etc). One should expect high owner occupancy during this time which generally means less exchange deposits (NOTE: Some timeshares owners would rather rent their high demand week than deposit it with an exchange company).

With exchange requests, it's best to be as flexible as possible on your requested unit size (there is more competition for larger unit sizes) and travel dates (like any time during the year) and even then you may not snag a week at your requested resort.

With RCI, it's wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).

You can sometimes find reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, Yelp, various travel related sites and from other fellow TUG members by searching the forums or by accessing the TUG Resort Database.

Keep in mind that RCI trading is not cheap. In addition to your annual maintenance fee, you'll have to pay an RCI exchange fee (currently $239 for a one week stay) and sometimes a resort/housekeeping fee. These fees will continue to rise.
For example, currently a Disney World trade it's an additional $429 dollars ($239 RCI exchange fee + $190 Disney Resort Fee).

Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies so far. There's lots to digest here.

This was the text I was talking about:
"To view current Rental availability for The Cliffs Club (5124) select one of the following
bigLastCall.jpg
Last CallSMVacations
To view current RCI Points® availability for The Cliffs Club (5124) select one of the following
bigManagePoints.jpg
ClubPoints Vacations"

And then if you click on either of those, it never shows any availability in my testing. I will be reading over the other threads (and ratings) and try and put together something for next year.

-Matt

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. There's lots to digest here.

This was the text I was talking about:
"To view current Rental availability for The Cliffs Club (5124) select one of the following
bigLastCall.jpg
Last CallSMVacations
To view current RCI Points® availability for The Cliffs Club (5124) select one of the following
bigManagePoints.jpg
ClubPoints Vacations"

And then if you click on either of those, it never shows any availability in my testing. I will be reading over the other threads (and ratings) and try and put together something for next year.

-Matt

There are some resorts that have such high demand, you will never see availability (The Galleon in Key West, some DVC, etc.) For those, you will need to put an OGS request in.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Matt,

It sounds like you're trying to search for availability via the Resort Directory. That's not the way I search.

Here's how I do it
(1) Login to the HGVC website
(2) At the top of the page select "RCI ACCOUNT" under the "Club Membership" drop down.
(3) Accept RCI Terms and Agreement and proceed
(4) At the top of the RCI page select "EXCHANGE VACATION" under the "RCI Exhange Reservations" drop down (it's next to the HOME icon)

From the left hand column select any region and then you'll be able to select additional search criteria such as GOLD CROWN, LENGTH OF STAY, ALL-INCLUSIVE NOT REQUIRED, MINIMUM UNIT SIZE, ETC

For example, from the left hand column select "Hawaii" then select "Gold Crown" under RCI Awards and you'll get a list of Gold Crown Hawaii resorts that currently have availability.

Play around to get familiar with the RCI site. Let me know if you still have questions

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct, that's how I got there.

I think I understand now. The resorts that come up like that are high enough in demand that:
* There are no deposited weeks within the next two year period
* There are no points days / weeks within the next 10 months

Therefore they are directing you to their cash (Last Call) or points-based vacation packages. Then, being as there are no packages with those resorts in there, those always produce an error message.

Please correct me if I've got any of that incorrect.

-Matt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I never searched that way so I'm not familiar with the RCI responses.
But what you described makes sense and probably how it works via the RCI Directory.

The search instructions I provided allows you to see current exchange availability across all resorts instead of pulling up each individual resort via the Resort Directory.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Thanks to all, this information is exactly what I was looking for as well.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is a helpful discussion as I am also trying to figure out how to maximize RCI:

1) I was unaware that points inventory was different than OGS/Weeks. How do they decide which bucket they put the inventory into? Are points inventory leftovers from OGS?
2) How does Extra Vacation weeks fit into this scenario? Is there a way, as an HGVC owner to check this online without calling in?
3) Are there options to rent for less than a week for points or cash?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
No one "decides" which are which. It simply depends on whether the unit(s)/time deposited into the RCI system (by individuals or resort-systems) are from weeks-accounts or points-accounts. Typically, resorts determine the time available from points-accounts based on their own reservations. Points are not leftovers from OGS. OGS only applies to weeks.

HGVC has access to both inventories. Strangely, they refer to points-bookings as "nightly exchanges." Searches that are more than 10 months out are weeks-only searches. Less than 10 months, you can select for either using the "Length of Stay" filter on the "Exchange Vacations" page.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
re: your question. I just booked an "Extra Vacation" in Vegas for cash at a highly rated timeshare for next spring break 2018. The agent told me that these are different than Last Call. I had to call in to search for this (unless anyone knows a way to search for this online.)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
1) I was unaware that points inventory was different than OGS/Weeks. How do they decide which bucket they put the inventory into? Are points inventory leftovers from OGS?

RCI started out with just the RCI WEEKS Program. So resorts only had the RCI Weeks Program to offer.
In 2000, RCI launched their RCI POINTS Program. Resorts started to offer this option as well. Some of the older resorts on the RCI WEEKS Program provided this as an upgrade option. As a result, some resorts have a mixture of RCI Points owners and RCI Weeks owners.
NOTE: Some resorts are also dual affiliated with Internal International.

For example, WorldMark decided to only offer the RCI POINTS program with developer purchases. Resale owners only have access to the RCI WEEK program. Of course, they grandfathered existing owners when they made the rule change.

RCI also has a mix of developer deposits and owner deposits.

2) How does Extra Vacation weeks fit into this scenario? Is there a way, as an HGVC owner to check this online without calling in?
3) Are there options to rent for less than a week for points or cash?

Here are the RCI Cash Rental options:
(1) RCI Extra Vacation - available by phone only. Availability currently goes out to Jan 2019. (I'm assuming HGVC decided they didn't want to give HGVC members online access)
(2) RCI Last Call - available online or by phone (starting at 45 days or less from check-in)
(3) RCI Open Season - available by phone only. HGVC used to state this option in the Club Member Guide but starting in 2013 I no longer see it referenced. I'm not sure if it's still an option. (RCI Nightly Rentals can be paid for with cash starting 90 days out. If it's still an option, it might be the same as Open Season Rates but I never tried this option)
NOTE: There is no exchange fee required.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I basically made the mistake of filtering too far (ie by island) instead of doing the gold crown resort filtering.

Looks like I may be able to do a studio at Wyndham Ka'eo Kai and then 1 1 BR at Sands of Kahana for 2400 + 3400 points, and (yuck) 2*230 exchange fees. That is still not so bad. And this leaves me with quite a few (arguably too many) points in the short term.

If I were to make a booking right now, what points pool does it come from? Target year (like normal reservations)? Do I have to call in to use bonus points?

-Matt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If I were to make a booking right now, what points pool does it come from? Target year (like normal reservations)? Do I have to call in to use bonus points?

-Matt
You have to call to use your bonus points for RCI Reservations

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For RCI bookings: The year of your stay is not particularly relevant.
Points are 'sposed to be drawn in the following order:
(1) Points deposited to the RCI Program (done to keep points from expiring).
(2) Saved points -- but only if saved to the year of your stay.
(3) This year's points -- they may be used for a future year stay.
(4) The two calendar years following the booking date.
The draw is done manually, so you need to watch and call if there's an issue.

For HGVC resort bookings: The year of your stay is relevant.
Points are drawn in the following order:
(1) Points saved for use in the year of your stay.
(2) Points allotted for the year of your stay.
(3) Points borrowed from the following year (as needed)

You have to call in to use bonus points. Bookings are not not changeable.
You must book before they expire, but may stay later in the booking window.
Becuz bonus points have a hard-expiry date, use 'em first & save the others.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I found this very good RCI Tutorial for WorldMark Owners -
http://pgs.rci.com/landing/WorldMar...l?promo=Rules5S3en_USCLUBDCMP10001958-PARTNER

Even though the tutorial refers specifically to the WorldMark portal. The portals are very similar and would be helpful to HGVC members learning to use RCI.
The very first section talks about accessing the RCI website from the WorldMark member site (you can skip that section and move onto to "Search by Map")

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just keep in mind, all Gold Crown resorts are not the same (just like all three star hotels are not the same ;)).

From my original post above.
With RCI, it's wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).

You can sometimes find reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, Yelp, various travel related sites and from other fellow TUG members by searching the forums or by accessing the TUG Resort Database.

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heh, yeah, the reviews for Sands of Kahana are not exactly stellar. I may actually use Honors points and stay at the Grand Wailea Waldorf. Yes I know they are a terrible conversion ratio, but given rolling over this year's points, plus having 13,200 bonus, using 10k points seems ok if it saves me ~$1500.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ugh, reevaluating my idea about the Wyndham as well. Back to the drawing board.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I use my Vistana ownership for access to the Westin timeshares on Maui & Kauai but here's what I suggested in another thread

The following RCI resorts have been recommended in various TUG threads. Definitely read the reviews to determine if any of these timeshares meets your family's needs/requirements.

(1) For Maui
Diamond Resorts - Kaanapali Beach Club Resort
Sightings - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-weeks-kaanapali-beach-club-2018-bulk.252822/
Photos - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/kaanapali-beach-club-maui.240052/

(2) For Kauai
Wyndham Shearwater
Diamond Resorts - Point at Poipu
Cliffs at Princeville & Cliffs Club

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/any-recommendation-for-kauai-timeshare.230181/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...rwater-right-now-its-better-than-ever.240558/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...eter-you-from-booking-the-cliffs-club.244120/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/point-at-poipu-resort-walk.239007/

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are a wonderful resource on this board. :)

I will definitely go back and read the other threads you mentioned as well.

Thanks again for your help and recommendations.

-Matt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You're welcome :thumbup:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree. Alwaysonvac you have advanced my knowledge of RCI considerably. Thank you.