• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfwatch 3 BR "Ocean Side"

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Finally snagged a 3BR Oceanside at Surfwatch for July of 2018. We have stayed here prior and I'm wondering if the 3 BR Oceanside villa would be in the building closest to the boardwalk down to the beach?

Thanks!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hi.

Finally snagged a 3BR Oceanside at Surfwatch for July of 2018. We have stayed here prior and I'm wondering if the 3 BR Oceanside villa would be in the building closest to the boardwalk down to the beach?

Thanks!

No, that entire building is "Oceanvista." The "Oceanside" units are in the two buildings next-closest to the beach; see this post for a complete property description.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It sounds like an II exchange. Does marriott honor the codes for exchanges there? I thought that for the most part SC exchanges the codes were ignored and the resorts had their own priority. If you are exchanging through the DC you should get the view listed although within the category you would still be lower in priority than owners booking home week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like an II exchange. Does marriott honor the codes for exchanges there? I thought that for the most part SC exchanges the codes were ignored and the resorts had their own priority. If you are exchanging through the DC you should get the view listed although within the category you would still be lower in priority than owners booking home week.

That's a good point. SurfWatch is among the HHI resorts that use a Priority Placement system which doesn't automatically honor the view attached to II confirmations. Generally, they advise that II exchangers are low on the list and should expect to be placed in a Gardenview unit, but I think that's more to set low expectations than it is to guarantee a Gardenview placement. It's not unheard of for II exchangers to be placed into either Oceanside or Oceanvista because it's dependent on how many units of each type are booked by Owners using their own Weeks, DC Points users and cash guests (who all get placed into the view type that they booked.) Then II exchangers, preview guests and any others are assigned resort-wide, with SurfWatch Owners using something other than their owned Weeks and MVC system Owners having the top two priority slots within that subset.

Note that if this is an II exchange, at some point prior to check-in the confirmation may reflect a change to Gardenview in your online accounts. Again, that's not a guarantee of Gardenview but instead a means of setting the lowest expectation.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Our last II exchange into SurfWatch indicated unit HDBBV, which is a Marriott Deposit with Ocean Vista view. We were placed into the Ocean Dunes building (closest to the ocean) in an Ocean Vista view (same as II view) about 3rd floor facing the marsh. A great unit. This was a late July check-in.

While I enjoyed the Ocean Vista view over the marsh, it's just too far from the ocean for me. I think I'd prefer Garden view at Surfwatch. I'll be there in a 3BR Garden View in a few weeks...so can comment back on that. Also via an II exchange.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our last II exchange into SurfWatch indicated unit HDBBV, which is a Marriott Deposit with Ocean Vista view. We were placed into the Ocean Dunes building (closest to the ocean) in an Ocean Vista view (same as II view) about 3rd floor facing the marsh. A great unit. This was a late July check-in.

While I enjoyed the Ocean Vista view over the marsh, it's just too far from the ocean for me. I think I'd prefer Garden view at Surfwatch. I'll be there in a 3BR Garden View in a few weeks...so can comment back on that. Also via an II exchange.

I'm confused. If "Oceanvista" is too far from the ocean, why would you prefer "Gardenview" which is furthest from it?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I'm confused. If "Oceanvista" is too far from the ocean, why would you prefer "Gardenview" which is furthest from it?

Sorry. Let me clarify. "Ocean Vista" view is the closest you can get to the ocean at Surfwatch. "Garden View" is definitely much further away from the water.

To my knowledge, Surfwatch is the only MVC resort with an "Ocean Vista" view category. Rightly so, as the Ocean Vista view is unique to Surfwatch. It overlooks the marsh with the ocean about a football field out. Very natural and pretty. But for me, it is just far enough away from the water to leave me wanting to be closer. I prefer to be "OF or OV" where I can be close enough to hear the waves, etc. With "Ocean Vista", you cannot. You are too far away.

As a result, I personally like the interior garden views at Surfwatch which I find very serene, natural and well manicured overlooking the ponds, plants, trees, etc. Even though they are further from the ocean with no view of the water.

In reality, any week at Surfwatch in summer is fantastic. One of my favorites on HHI for certain!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry. Let me clarify. "Ocean Vista" view is the closest you can get to the ocean at Surfwatch. "Garden View" is definitely much further away from the water.

To my knowledge, Surfwatch is the only MVC resort with an "Ocean Vista" view category. Rightly so, as the Ocean Vista view is unique to Surfwatch. It overlooks the marsh with the ocean about a football field out. Very natural and pretty. But for me, it is just far enough away from the water to leave me wanting to be closer. I prefer to be "OF or OV" where I can be close enough to hear the waves, etc. With "Ocean Vista", you cannot. You are too far away.

As a result, I personally like the interior garden views at Surfwatch which I find very serene, natural and well manicured overlooking the ponds, plants, trees, etc. Even though they are further from the ocean with no view of the water.

In reality, any week at Surfwatch in summer is fantastic. One of my favorites on HHI for certain!

Ah, now I get it! :)

SurfWatch is my favorite, no question, any time of year. I love the marsh view and my favorite thing about OV is the birdwatching. A high floor OS, though, gives you the view of the marsh out to the ocean plus the feature pool below so you feel like you're right in the middle of everything happening at the resort. We haven't stayed in GV but whenever we're there I walk the property a couple times a day and you're right, that area is very pretty. In the cooler months I'm sure I'd be very happy in GV because it's much more convenient to the indoor pool.

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was not an II scenario - directly through Marriott using points.

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score

So a question- We have a 3BR Ocean View. Is the Ocean Vista a category that is considered "better"? Does Ocean Vista demand higher points?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
So a question- We have a 3BR Ocean View. Is the Ocean Vista a category that is considered "better"? Does Ocean Vista demand higher points?
There is only Garden View, Ocean Side and Ocean Vista.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There's no such thing as "Oceanview" at SurfWatch. Weeks were sold as Oceanvista, Oceanside and Gardenview, which are designated as OC, OS and GV in the DC Points chart. (On marriott.com, they're "partial ocean view," "courtyard" and "gardenview.")

To your questions, yes. Whether you're talking about the prices at which Marriott sold Weeks, the amount of DC Points for which enrolled Weeks can be converted, or, the amount of DC Points required to book intervals, Oceanvista has higher values than Oceanside which has higher values than Gardenview.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes it costs more points to book
Garden view in July 3 BR 5000 points
Oceanside in July 3 BR 6175
Ocean Vistas in July 3 BR 6500

As the discussion indicates what people consider "better" varies.

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I meant Oceanside, not view. Ok, I'm pretty darn content with the Oceanside I was able to get, but if Vista opens I may go for that

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks. I meant Oceanside, not view. Ok, I'm pretty darn content with the Oceanside I was able to get, but if Vista opens I may go for that
Off topic, but I am curious what a "Pool Education Team Member" is?

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but I am curious what a "Pool Education Team Member" is?
Um. When I saw his post, I was like what the heck are you talking about. I have no idea what that is or why it's in my profile. So odd

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points