• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Pure Points Program

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the "Exchange Reservation Period" explain how pure point owners have access to individual deeds?

"c. Exchange Reservation Period. During the Exchange Reservation Period, subject to the terms of the Club to Club Exchange Agreement, HPC Club Owners have the right on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to reserve the use of any available Vacation Period within the HPC Club. In addition, HRC Members also have the right during the Exchange Reservation Period to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods during the Exchange Reservation Period in exchange for HPC Club Owners’ right to reserve the use of accommodations in the HRC pursuant to the Club to Club Exchange Agreement." (p. 32)

"a. Owner Reservation Period. The Owner Reservation Period shall mean the period beginning three hundred and sixty-four (364) days prior to Check-In Day for a Vacation Period and lasting one hundred eighty-two (182) days, during which the HPC Club Owner must compete, subject to any Fixed Reservation Rights, on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to use their HPC Club Points to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods in the HPC Club, subject to any reservation restrictions set forth on the Membership Tier Level Chart and the following: ..." (p. 29)

Definitions:

"Exchange Reservation Period shall mean the one hundred twenty-two (122) day period beginning on the day after the expiration of the Owner Reservation Period for a given Vacation Period and ending at 11:59 p.m. on the day before the first day of the HPC Priority Period for the given Vacation Period. During the Exchange Reservation Period, subject to the terms of the Club to Club Exchange Agreement, HPC Club Owners and HRC Members have the voluntary right, on a first come, first served basis, to reserve the use of any available Vacation Period within the HPC Club." (p. 6)

"Owner Reservation Period shall mean the period beginning three hundred sixty-four (364) days prior to the Check-In Day for a Vacation Period and lasting one hundred eighty-two (182) days, during which the HPC Club Owner must compete on a first come, first served basis with other HPC Club Owners to reserve the use of any available Vacation Periods in the HPC Club." (p. 9)
Remember, there are two separate systems. Points can be used as desired separately within each system. There is no cross-over. The rules govern how points can be used in each system. A member must compete with other owners in their respective system to obtain a confirmed reservation.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, there are two separate systems. Points can be used as desired separately within each system. There is no cross-over. The rules govern how points can be used in each system. A member must compete with other owners in their respective system to obtain a confirmed reservation.

Yes, they are two "separate and distinct entities." Neither is responsible for any of the obligations of the other entity. But there is also a layer sitting on top of these two separate and distinct entities. It seems that layer might be the "Club to Club Exchange Agreement." According to the Rules and Regs doc: "The exchange agreement allows HPC Club Owners to exchange to accommodations within the Hyatt Residence Club exchange network and for Club Members to exchange to accommodations within the HPC Trust Club." (section 5.2)

http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/hrc_rules_regs17.pdf

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My feeling is the exchange for HRP members is to HRC units where a HRC owner does an annual usage in HRP. The HRC deeded unit actually still resides in the HRC but those points are available in the HRP. The exchange would be limited to that specific unit rather than the full legacy inventory. Remember, Hyatt wants $$$ from the HRC owner to use any points in the HRP.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My thanks to nuwermj and Kal for this very interesting exchange. It's a crying shame that Hyatt is leaving all of us to try to divine the details out of this potentially substantial change in the nature of our current ownerships in HRC, but that's what we are forced to do. By reviewing the document we do have in print and parsing the language, I think we're all getting a better understanding of what's at play here. Personally, I am feeling quite good about the continued high value of the weeks I own in the HRC system.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would appear Hyatt has not found a way to make a wide area mailing of the new HRP. Reason is they have to be registered in a state to sell timeshares in that state. If they are not registered in every state where an HRC owner resides, they could only send to a smaller population of owners. If there is no other reasonable restriction, how should HRC owners view their management skills?? The program is obviously rolled out since points are indeed being sold.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would appear Hyatt has not found a way to make a wide area mailing of the new HRP. Reason is they have to be registered in a state to sell timeshares in that state. If they are not registered in every state where an HRC owner resides, they could only send to a smaller population of owners. If there is no other reasonable restriction, how should HRC owners view their management skills?? The program is obviously rolled out since points are indeed being sold.
Kal, I nearly always agree with your insights, but I think it's not accurate to say the HRP is "rolled out"--as least by the definition I understand. Rolled out, to me anyway, means that the program is being sold nationally. I was at HHI a couple of weeks ago and attended the owners update out of curiosity to see what they'd say and they did not even discuss it. When I asked about HRP, they said, "Yes, that's a program being introduced in Florida but we do not have details at this time." Has the program been introduced? Yes. Is it in play nationally? I don't think so. It still seems that they're trying to iron out the kinks--of which there are many--before they make a big splash and roll this out nationally.

While your point about direct mail is well-taken, they're not restricted to make a big announcement on the HRC website or by way of a future HRC newsletter--neither of which they've done. If you're right--and this program is now fully implemented--it's the quietest sales effort of a major new program I've ever seen.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I say "rolled out" it means consistent with their overall plan. Hyatt has originally indicated they would start the program in Florida then gradually move across the country. Then too, a number of resorts would not be involved for various reasons. For some it would require some level of state approval, while in Maui it appears to be largely vetoed by the developers. Maui just now moved about 33% of the resort into a floating week concept so the HRP would further complicate the situation.

So let's say the HRP was "initiated" in Florida. But then even the owners of Florida units are in the dark...unless we go to their shop to hear about it.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

TFTG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks for sharing.

I was in Carmel recently and attend an owner's update and asked lots of questions about the new program, different buckets of inventory and how it'll work, etc, but they had no details or information to share, just that they know changes are coming just not yet to Carmel and how they are selling weeks. Also no info on how current owners can/will be impacted or options if they were to consider the new points program.

Carmel is still selling deeded weeks at their new sales center (in the former restaurant downstairs). They indicated they are about 80% sold out and plan on selling deeded weeks for the time being. A large part of their new updated presentation is selling the World of Hyatt benefits and points transfer options, which in most cases doesn't make sense. It's also interesting that the info you posted in the article plays up the World of Hyatt program and transferring options in the points program, so that may be how they try to sell it to people who aren't familiar with timeshares and more familiar with the hotel program.

Also, I found it interesting that if I bought into Carmel directly they would make my resale weeks look like developer weeks and convert them to get the WOH point transfer option.
For those you interested, here is an overview of the new program called Hyatt Residence Club Portfolio Program. There still seems to be additional information needed on this new program but this gives us a good start.

http://www.thetimeshareguru.com/hyatt-residence-portfolio-program.html

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
"Also, I found it interesting that if I bought into Carmel directly they would make my resale weeks look like developer weeks and convert them to get the WOH point transfer option."

That's interesting...........Their lips must have been moving. :confused:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still, no information as to options for HRC owners...
While it's true that there is no detailed information about costs for conversion from HRC to HRP, the article does seem to reinforce the view espoused on this thread that HRC owners will continue to operate within what is referred to as the "Hyatt Residence Club Legacy Program", separate and distinct from HRP.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Windward Pointe 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch week 26
Hyatt Pinon Pointe Sold
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge Sold
Hyatt Coconut Cove Sold
Marriott Royal Palms 35 year
Sands of Kahana fractional (sold)
Here is some copy from a newer Reservation Confirmation re: PORTFOLIO POINTS PROGRAM Seems they have FOUR levels of ownership almost certainly based on # of total Hyatt Portfolio Points: They are calling it HPC (Hyatt Points Club)? Not sure what the ORP after is.
Other Fees
  • World of Hyatt Exchange Fee: $133 via Web; $143 via phone.
  • Guest Certificates: $30 via Web; $36 via phone.
  • Returned check fee: $40.
  • Split Week Resort Fee for Club Use Reservations and HRC Exchanges: $39, paid to the resort upon departure. Split week fees DO NOT apply at Hyatt Main Street Station; Highlands Inn, A Hyatt Residence Club Resort; The Residences at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek; Hyatt Grand Aspen; and Northstar Lodge.
  • Housekeeping Fee for HPC ORP Use Reservations and Portfolio Exchanges: $60, paid to the resort upon departure.
    • HPC Classic Tier Members pay no housekeeping fee for their first Owner Reservation Period Use Reservation.
    • HPC Executive Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first two Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • HPC Premier Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first three Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • HPC Elite Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first four Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • Housekeeping fees will apply for all subsequent reservations.
Any of these fees may be paid using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diner’s Club or JCB.
Reservation requests are not guaranteed.

ResaleExpert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Windward Pointe 2 diamond weeks
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch week 26
Hyatt Pinon Pointe Sold
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge Sold
Hyatt Coconut Cove Sold
Marriott Royal Palms 35 year
Sands of Kahana fractional (sold)
"Also, I found it interesting that if I bought into Carmel directly they would make my resale weeks look like developer weeks and convert them to get the WOH point transfer option."

That's interesting...........Their lips must have been moving. :confused:

Let's see; If you buy a RESALE Platinum 2,000 points week for $6,500 *I have these listings* and a 2,000 points week directly from Hyatt at ~$35,000 you have spent $41,500 for 4,000 points - more importantly 2 higher demand weeks to occupy. SO, trading to hotels points you can then actually lose not only $28,500 but have the ability to pay about $1,800 in dues and trading fees (each week) for only a couple nights in their better hotels??? ALL while giving up your valuable condo for a week? THE worst trade in timeshare 99.6% of the time is the hotel option... My % :)
Just another way for a developer to have you think this is a great option and to pay 4x to 7x the resale price. Buy 2 resale weeks for $13,000 total (example) and use the remaining $25,000 + for some other great things for your family.
When I sold for Hyatt we use Hyatt's (previously owned) Hawthorn Suites as the example since you could get 'a lot of nights' with that trade. Not many or great hotels but is was the 'shiny nickel' they remembered...
It's not very complicated; Buy a timeshare to use the week/ timeshare or trade and even rent timeshares- but never think that buying a timeshare retail to trade to hotels will be anything close to a reason to pay tens of thousands more. Rent a hotel when you want a hotel room; earn your hotel points, get your elite status and when you understand the value of timeshare vacations use your timeshare!
Good thing there is TUG2.net for those willing to do a little research prior to buying! Thanks for reading my opinion!

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Let's see; If you buy a RESALE Platinum 2,000 points week for $6,500 *I have these listings* and a 2,000 points week directly from Hyatt at ~$35,000 you have spent $41,500 for 4,000 points - more importantly 2 higher demand weeks to occupy. SO, trading to hotels points you can then actually lose not only $28,500 but have the ability to pay about $1,800 in dues and trading fees (each week) for only a couple nights in their better hotels??? ALL while giving up your valuable condo for a week? THE worst trade in timeshare 99.6% of the time is the hotel option... My % :)
Just another way for a developer to have you think this is a great option and to pay 4x to 7x the resale price. Buy 2 resale weeks for $13,000 total (example) and use the remaining $25,000 + for some other great things for your family.
When I sold for Hyatt we use Hyatt's (previously owned) Hawthorn Suites as the example since you could get 'a lot of nights' with that trade. Not many or great hotels but is was the 'shiny nickel' they remembered...
It's not very complicated; Buy a timeshare to use the week/ timeshare or trade and even rent timeshares- but never think that buying a timeshare retail to trade to hotels will be anything close to a reason to pay tens of thousands more. Rent a hotel when you want a hotel room; earn your hotel points, get your elite status and when you understand the value of timeshare vacations use your timeshare!
Good thing there is TUG2.net for those willing to do a little research prior to buying! Thanks for reading my opinion!

I agree 100%, The hotel option they try to pass off as an alternative, was and is a glaring, red flag, their lips are moving, example of WHAAAAAAT you can't be serious :confused:

TFTG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I never said it was a good option and understand all of the details, just mentioned that it was interesting they were offering that to try to entice me to purchase with them directly. They were really playing up the World of Hyatt transfer options and future updates since the hotel loyalty program has been rebranded

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are calling it HPC (Hyatt Points Club)? Not sure what the ORP after is.
    • HPC Classic Tier Members pay no housekeeping fee for their first Owner Reservation Period Use Reservation.
    • HPC Executive Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first two Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • HPC Premier Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first three Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • HPC Elite Tier Members pay no housekeeping fees for their first four Owner Reservation Period Use Reservations.
    • Housekeeping fees will apply for all subsequent reservations.

ORP = Owner Reservation Period

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have I been hearing this correctly? Resale weeks are not eligible for HPC? (Even though at current price levels I'm not interested anyway.)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Some resale owners in the Facebook group were given the option but were told it was available now but may not be in the future. That was a few weeks ago so it may be different now. I ended up buying my 3rd week timeshare week with Westin seemed a better option than the new program