• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfwatch Master Bath

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
It's been a couple years since we stayed at Surfwatch.

Have they installed a barn door so that you can close off the master bedroom and bath.

I'm trying to decide between Barony and Surfwatch for December and the master bath privacy will be the deciding factor.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It's been a couple years since we stayed at Surfwatch.
Have they installed a barn door so that you can close off the master bedroom and bath.
I'm trying to decide between Barony and Surfwatch for December and the master bath privacy will be the deciding factor.

Master bath/shower area is still open to the master bedroom, and to my knowledge there are no plans to construct a barn door
(or anything else) to separate. It was open back in April when I saw it most recently while a friend was staying there.

I called the front desk today to inquire for you, and a gentleman said there are no plans to change it or add a separation or door.

FYI (and for others), the bathroom configuration is such that the sinks/mirrors/cabinets are on the left and the entrance to the walk-in shower is on the right (no glass door for short span at that end), but the main entrance to that whole bathroom area
remains open visually and structurally.
Toilet area with storage shelving is enclosed behind a regular wooden door at the far end.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Master bath/shower area is still open to the master bedroom, and to my knowledge there are no plans to construct a barn door
(or anything else) to separate. It was open back in April when I saw it most recently while a friend was staying there.

I called the front desk today to inquire for you, and a gentleman said there are no plans to change it or add a separation or door.

FYI (and for others), the bathroom configuration is such that the sinks/mirrors/cabinets are on the left and the entrance to the walk-in shower is on the right (no glass door for short span at that end), but the main entrance to that whole bathroom area
remains open visually and structurally.
Toilet area with storage shelving is enclosed behind a regular wooden door at the far end.

Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to call Surfwatch. That was very nice of you.

I really don't understand not having the privacy separation. So we'll exchange into Barony. We own 2 weeks there and really like it since the refurb was done.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to call Surfwatch. That was very nice of you.

I really don't understand not having the privacy separation. So we'll exchange into Barony. We own 2 weeks there and really like it since the refurb was done.

I don't like the non-separation either, but it would NOT be enough of an issue to cause me to miss staying there. I hope they do something in the future, but it will only happen if owners (I'm not one) speak up often and vehemently enough.

The shower is pretty sweet....we call it "The Car Wash".

....and yes, the Barony refurb was one of the best ever....love it!!!
(we ARE owners there).

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see the bathroom not being separated as a deal at all. Why is this such a deal breaker?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Since Barony's renovation (that made the Master Bath more like SurfWatch's with a large shower replacing the gigantic tub) included a barn door for separation between the shower/sink area and the bedroom proper, I've asked the SurfWatch GM and the board a number of times to go visit Barony to see the barn door and to think about adding them during the next hard-goods refurb. I think that's at least six years away, if not more, but I'm willing to wait.

There are TUGgers who use tension shower rods and shower curtains to add some privacy to the shower/sink space. One swears by it in the cooler weather because it helps to warm up the space. The set-up works perfect for it and there's a Walmart on the island where you can pick up the rod/curtains inexpensively, if you fly instead of drive to the island.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't see the bathroom not being separated as a deal at all. Why is this such a deal breaker?

If you have guests staying with you and want privacy while showering you have to keep the bedroom door closed, and the drapes at the bedroom/balcony slider closed. With a barn door closure or the shower curtain idea, you get privacy in the shower/sink area without worrying about all that.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
:oops: In the meantime, any truth to the rumor they are going to change the name of the resort from SurfWatch to "BathWatch"? :eek:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have guests staying with you and want privacy while showering you have to keep the bedroom door closed, and the drapes at the bedroom/balcony slider closed. With a barn door closure or the shower curtain idea, you get privacy in the shower/sink area without worrying about all that.

/\This/\

It is not necessarily that it is a deal breaker but I don't understand the concept of wanting the bathroom area open to the bedroom and also possibly clearly visible from the doorway or the balcony. There are a few Marriott's like this and to me it doesn't make sense.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
:oops: In the meantime, any truth to the rumor they are going to change the name of the resort from SurfWatch to "BathWatch"? :eek:
Come on now Marty, be nice to Susan. :D

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Come on now Marty, be nice to Susan. :D

Oh, Susan pays me no attention. She knows it's simply good-natured tongue-in-cheek jest.
Just hoping to speed along the barn door "fix". Hoping a Marriott rep will read these comments.

We thought that solution would work nicely at SW when we saw Barony's, as it was a very practical and attractive measure which solved the problem.

Actually I'm with Susan, altho it doesn't bother me as much as it does her. I do think it was an unfortunate oversight in design, for whatever reason, but not any kind of deal-killer for me. If I stay there again, I'll put in my two cents' worth.

In today's world of drone photography, I guess no one is truly safe, but I'm not going to lose any sleep. ;)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Actually I'm with Susan, altho it doesn't bother me as much as it does her. I do think it was an unfortunate oversight in design, for whatever reason, but not any kind of deal-killer for me. If I stay there again, I'll put in my two cents' worth.

In today's world of drone photography, I guess no one is truly safe, but I'm not going to lose any sleep. ;)
Marty likes to let it all hang out!! ;-)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, Susan pays me no attention. She knows it's simply good-natured tongue-in-cheek jest.
Just hoping to speed along the barn door "fix". Hoping a Marriott rep will read these comments.

We thought that solution would work nicely at SW when we saw Barony's, as it was a very practical and attractive measure which solved the problem.

No harm, no foul, Marty. :)

I've always thought the same thing about SW's design, with the giant shower open to the bedroom, and the design at all the resorts with giant tubs open to the bedrooms - none of them ever made any sense to me! Even if privacy weren't a concern, which it obviously is, the TUGger who first taught me about the shower curtain idea had the right idea in that the space is too big to keep as warm as you want while bathing.

After seeing Barony's refurb I think the barn door idea works perfectly in that SW design, and that's despite my thinking that if it weren't for cheesy HGTV trends this dumb idea of using barn doors as design features would never have caught on. I really don't like them. But it costs a whole lot less for the opening in SW's shower/sink space to be enclosed with a barn door rather than a typical door casing, so I'm on board.

Not sure what I've said to make anyone think I'm bothered by any of this, though. I'm not. <shrug> If I hadn't seen Barony's refurb I would have happily continued thinking that it's stupid for Marriott to have tubs and showers open to the bedrooms, kept using the TUGger's ingenious idea of using a shower curtain in SW's opening, and not asked the GM/board to spend my money. The barn door shouldn't cost too much, but I'm not bothered waiting for it to hopefully be added to SW's scheduled refurb whenever that's supposed to happen.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
if it weren't for cheesy HGTV trends this dumb idea of using barn doors as design features would never have caught on.

what's next? Shiplap and giant clocks?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

OH GOSH, please please please don't say that word "Shiplap"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a joke at home.....every other word on Fixer Upper has become shiplap, shiplap, shiplap, shiplap, shiplap. I think we're going CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever they walk into a room with old boards up, I mute the TV. HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!! :wall:

.......And please let it be known that although the open area between bathroom and bedroom at SurfWatch doesn't bother me as much as it does others, I do think it should be addressed. So that makes me 100% in agreement with Susan.

I think a barn door "type" separation would be GREAT, but ONLY if it's designed properly. It's definitely the least expensive way to go, and I'm NOT necessarily opposed to them. I can envision a nice way to do it.

Altho they're the rage on TV and in magazines now, I think a more modern, clean, contemporary one with a sleek design that doesn't scream "a feature unto itself", or draw attention, would work. TV shows unfortunately make them a design "feature"----even painted or stained a different color and highly visible. If it does the job, and the partition itself and the hardware aren't so noticeable, it'll do nicely. It should visually disappear into the background.

One option (among others) just off the top of my head would be a frosted
or non-see through glass (maybe too heavy?) or substance which tends to blend in with the walls. Other less expensive materials are out there, too. These would take EVEN LESS thickness space than the current barn door thing. It would complement the contemporary feel of Surfwatch's decor, which everybody seems to like, me included.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

:eek:

But you forgot the giant letters, hung in the foyer so that you're assaulted with a tacky "SW" the minute you walk in the door.

AAAIIIEEE!!!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
OH GOSH, please please please don't say that word "Shiplap"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a joke at home.....every other word on Fixer Upper has become shiplap, shiplap, shiplap, shiplap, shiplap. I think we're going CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever they walk into a room with old boards up, I mute the TV. HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!! :wall:

So I guess you don't want to see shiplap included in the next Grande Ocean refurb? If they install it there, will it keep you from stayin there? :ponder:

Susan

How could I forget about the giant letters? :eek:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
So I guess you don't want to see shiplap included in the next Grande Ocean refurb? If they install it there, will it keep you from stayin there? :ponder: :eek:

I would stay at Grande Ocean even if I had to SLEEP on shiplap. :thumbup:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
I would stay at Grande Ocean even if I had to SLEEP on shiplap. :thumbup:
be careful! he who sleeps on shiplap gets splinters in his butt!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
nice shiplap, is it oak?

i think it's pine.

pine is good.

peppymom03

Reaction score
We were supposed to stay at Surfwatch last month but had to switch dates so we went to Florida instead. Now I"m glad we did. I don't care about the lack of shiplap but no privacy in the bathroom is a dealbreaker for me. I like to feel warm while showering and a door helps. I don't want to have to keep the door closed, shades closed everytime we shower. Now how about a shiplap barn door??