• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC at KoOlina

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We will be staying at the Disney Aulani resort in September and know that the MVC is nearby. I also know from staying at some other resorts in Hawaii and Mexico that often the resort will have local crafts people/vendors in for a day or two. Aulani does not have this but I was wondering if the MVC at KoOlina does and if so, what day? We would also like to know about the restaurants at the MVC in KoOlina. Thank you for letting me visit your board!

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last October. I know there was a vendor selling inexpensive jewelry one of the days. She had some pearl, sea glass, shell, gemstone and silver jewelry. I bought a necklace for my daughter in law and earrings for myself. I'm sorry but I can't recall the day of the week or if there were other vendors on other days. I'm sure someone who was recently there can chime in.

We stayed there prior to moving down to Aulani when our kids and grandkids arrived. Both are wonderful properties. Have a great time...aloha!

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot about the restaurants. The best place we ate was Monkeypod. It is by Merriman. Right across the street from Aulani. The ABC store in the same center has a hot deli and limited groceries. There are a few other restaurants as well. I think a pizza place. We had very good shave ice at that center also. There are chain restaurants in Kapolei a short drive away. The malasadas in the quick serve restaurant at Aulani are yummy. Relatively good price for Disney. If there are none on the shelf ask the servers, they are continuously made at breakfast time. It's worth the wait for warm ones. :)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We will be staying at the Disney Aulani resort in September and know that the MVC is nearby. I also know from staying at some other resorts in Hawaii and Mexico that often the resort will have local crafts people/vendors in for a day or two. Aulani does not have this but I was wondering if the MVC at KoOlina does and if so, what day? We would also like to know about the restaurants at the MVC in KoOlina. Thank you for letting me visit your board!
They now have about 3 vendors daily displaying their wares on site. I think it was every friday there would be a bunch of vendors coming in and displaying their wares by the marketplace.

The only restraunts at mvc koolina is longboards which is run by marriott. Also there is longhis run by an outside vendor.

Across from aulani there is a just tacos, pizza place and monkey pods. Also a small ice cream shop, coffee shop and abc store witha great deli serving sandwiches, burgers and plate lunches.

You can walk or take the koolina shuttle if you want to goto roys which is nearby.

If you have a car, go visit kapolei thatnis 5 minutes away. More reasonable prices and not resort priced food. Dennys, ruby tuesdays, outback, chilis, etc.

Also i have seen a shuttle from kai makana mall that goes to the mall (which is about 15 minutes away) and back. Sorry i donot know their schedule.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
Frank,

I can't believe you didn't mention Zippy's!!! We eat there way too much to my wife's chagrin.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I was reading how good zippy's was supposed to be on Tripadvisor - took my brother and his family there after picking them up when they arrived late - needless to say I'm not allowed to pick restaurants anymore . I had to hide my head down in shame, it was such a bad choice on my part to try it for the first time and dragging my family there on my recommendation

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
My wife and kids hated Zippy's.
In my opinion, Roy's >> Monkeypod. Monkeypod is incredibly expensive for what you get.
Just Tacos is hit or miss (more miss than hit lately)

Lots of shopping nearby in Kapolei, but the offramps and onramps have a learning curve. Terrible road planning.
Walmart, Costco, Safeway, Target (Walmart very well stocked for Hawaii). Also a K-mart that will be closing soon.
In Target shopping center is a place called Genki Sushi - avoid this like your life depended on it.
There is also Hawaii's only waterpark in Kapolei (Wet & Wild). You will pass it on your right as you near Aulani. Fun for a half day. Discounts everywhere; don't pay full price. Ko Olina hosts a Luau that is better than the on at Paradise Cove. You don't have to stay at Marriott to buy a ticket.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Zippys might not appeal to a lot of mainland tastes. We live their chili but i have friends from the mainland us say that it was horrible. The chili is more for local tastes. Their hamburger steak and saimin dishes are good. Some like it some don't.

If you want good sushi goto sushi bay near chilis and Safeway. Genkis is is ok for the price but dont go there expecting a traditional japanese sushi bar. It is more quick service and geared toward local tastes. What did you not like about genkis brian?

I agree on monkeypods is very expensive. Even happy hour for 3 sets me back $100 and that is with only 2 drinks for me. Wife and son had iced tea and fruit punch. If you want a little cheaper than roys you can goto the shopping center with target and eat at his casual restaurant called the eating house 1849.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
What did you not like about genkis brian?
As you mentioned, it was not traditional sushi at all. Had the taste of what we could get in a supermarket. My daughter loves sushi, but she couldn't palate anything other than the miso soup and edamame. I was hoping to get rolls in soy paper that they advertised on their menu, but was told they stopped serving it a long time ago. So why not take it off the menu?? We each had a glass of water and when we asked for refills the lady took them away and brought them back to us full - but then mistakenly swapped the drinks. My daughter was getting over a cold, and we were fortunate enough to notice the drink in front of me had her straw with chew marks on it. Saved me from a week long cold. That did it for me...

But let's face it - in Hawaii you go for the poke, not the sushi. And a great place in Kapolei is Tamura's Market.

Thanks for the Eating House note. I didn't realize they had one in Kapolei.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costco has some great tasting poke and as usual very reasonably priced. If you want more variety of poke choices, you can goto Poke Stop in waipahu.

Glad i could help you find a new place. Do you live in thousand oaks california?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We ate at Longboards, very good. Also Roys. We stayed at Ko olina. Loved it!

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am surprised at the comments about Monkeypod being expensive. For Hawaii I think its fairly priced. You can get a entree for anywhere from about $10 to $40 with most being under $25. In fact Monkeypod is one of our favorite restaurants on site in the Ko Olina area. Roys is great but its more expensive and we have those here in California. We also like longboards but mostly just for the atmosphere. I also think the food at Monkey pod is really good. We usually hit Monkeypod at least twice on our trips to Ko Olina.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only go to Monkeypod during happy hour as I think its a bit expensive as well compared to going into Kapolei with all the choices. Even at happy hour, the bill is usually fairly healthy as it is. Not sure I would pay regular price for some of their appetizers with the small portions.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monkeypod was reasonably priced when they opened. Now.. I agree might as well go to roy's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bill4728

Reaction score
The MVC has a breakfast and lunch place right next to the beach. OK food and OK prices BUT great location!

I also am another vote for Roys. It is not on the ocean, but very pretty golf course views.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The MVC has a breakfast and lunch place right next to the beach. OK food and OK prices BUT great location!

I also am another vote for Roys. It is not on the ocean, but very pretty golf course views.
Also dinner is served at long boards. Sunset dining is very nice.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monkeypod was reasonably priced when they opened. Now.. I agree might as well go to roy's

They were reasonably priced when they opened?!? Have always found them to be a little pricey, but it is a resort restaurant.

PC so how was your alaska cruise on DCL? We had a great time up there and have to admit it was beautiful. When you going back to mko or aulani?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were reasonably priced when they opened?!? Have always found them to be a little pricey, but it is a resort restaurant.

PC so how was your alaska cruise on DCL? We had a great time up there and have to admit it was beautiful. When you going back to mko or aulani?

Prices were better. It seems like it's crept up since they opened.. no mko plans in near future. Cruise was fun but recovering financially!

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
You know what else went up considerably? That little Hawaiian BBQ place across the street from Monkeypod. I remember going there not that long ago and was able to get a kid's cheeseburger with fries for around $4. Such a deal back then. Now the burger is $6.95 and the fries are separate - another $5.50. I could have gotten a better burger for not much more at Longboard's. And this is for a kid who's not going to eat the whole thing to begin with.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You know what else went up considerably? That little Hawaiian BBQ place across the street from Monkeypod. I remember going there not that long ago and was able to get a kid's cheeseburger with fries for around $4. Such a deal back then. Now the burger is $6.95 and the fries are separate - another $5.50. I could have gotten a better burger for not much more at Longboard's. And this is for a kid who's not going to eat the whole thing to begin with.
I went to that place once when aulani first opened and never again. Did not care for the food at all. I thought L&L was bad but they are worse. If you want a better burger or plate lunch, goto the abc store deli. I would rather pay $11 for a hamburger steak plate from them than goto the hawaiian barbecue place again.

If you have a vehicle it would be cheaper and you can get better food 5 minutes away in kapolei. One of the joys of a resort community are the prices! First world problems.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We learned to go to Happy Hours, less expensive. We also bought food at the grocery store and ate in the timeshare in Maui. Loved Ko Olina, but no plans to go back yet!

noodlethepoodle

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 weeks at Ko'Olina and go every year. We usually eat dinner out. Longboards is simply bar food, not that good. We only eat there when we are desperate. The restaurant that replaced Chucks, Longhis is expensive but the food is good and you can't beat the ambiance. In comparison to Longhis Roys is a bargain (especially their 3 course price fixed dinner). We have also eaten at their less expensive "comfort food" restaurant in Kapolei. This was very good but the place did not have air conditioning so be aware before you go. We go to Monkeypod 2-3 times and usually get the burgers which are the best in the area. If you have a car the area on the outskirts of Chinatown is the new culinary hot spot. The Livestock Tavern is hands down the best restaurant that we have eaten at in all our visits. Typical prices for the area and menu changes seasonally. Lucky Belly (same owner and is nearby) is also quite good, a little less expensive but has a smaller, more Asian menu. Plantation Tavern? Garden? is also in Kapolei, very reasonable, good food, no ambiance and doesn't take reservations; more of a local's place.

Hope this helps. We consider good wine and food an essential part of the vacation experience. Recently there have been more options but we are tired of paying high prices for ordinary food so we often get something at Costco that we can just reheat. (It's my vacation too so I'm not cooking.)

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went to that place once when aulani first opened and never again. Did not care for the food at all. I thought L&L was bad but they are worse. If you want a better burger or plate lunch, goto the abc store deli. I would rather pay $11 for a hamburger steak plate from them than goto the hawaiian barbecue place again.

If you have a vehicle it would be cheaper and you can get better food 5 minutes away in kapolei. One of the joys of a resort community are the prices! First world problems.

I didn't like that place either. I tried it once or twice and wasn't impressed. I usually just drive over to Kapolei and go to the BBQ places in the mall by Safeway - I think its called the Kapolei BBQ ??? There's like 3 or 4 places in that mall for Korean/Asian BBQ. L&L is so so. Sushi Bay is good but the line ups are ridiculous - great deal though.

Longboards (when I went to it at MMO/MM1) I thought was overpriced and crappy food for what you paid. I think I had one meal at the Ko Olina one and again, overpriced and so so food. I'm personally not a fan of resort restaurants and would always try to get out to see what else there is.

If you want a great burger, Teddy's Bigger Burgers is fantastic. It's a bit past the Costco heading south I think ? Not that far but really tasty. So many reasonable choices for food in Oahu overall to be had. The Korean BBQ places are amazing - huge portions and really tasty but so reasonable in price.

Oh just about forgot about KOA Pancakes. They're usually pretty consistent.