• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can we get airlines to drop baggage fees for humanitarian aid to disaster areas?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Way back when...when airlines all included baggage in the cost of a ticket...I used to carry humanitarian aid to donate to places in Mexico stricken by earthquakes. Now we've got these floods along with earthquakes...seemingly weekly. Is there a way to get airlines to waive luggage fees during recovery of disaster-striken areas? Is there a way a petition drive could put customer pressure on airlines to do this? I'm thinking right now of Puerto Rico and also cities in Mexico...but there's likely still great need in Houston, parts of Florida, and so many Caribbean islands. Thoughts about this idea? Thanks!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a great idea, but I suppose humanitarian is a subjective term. What event qualifies for it? What is the starting and end date to accept such aid? What about poor countries that are the destination of countless mission trips year round? And what weight, number of pieces of luggage/boxes, etc. should be waived? Who would judge if the contents are acceptable? There would probably have to be more intense luggage inspections.
Seems it could be a massive mess.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It could be a mess taking things to Mexico...but islands like St John, St Thomas, St Croix and Puerto Rico are all dealing with devastating aftermaths from recent hurricanes. And those are all US territories. By "humanitarian" I mean daily necessities, like soaps and shampoos, dental care stuff, etc. No meds that require RX, just stuff you would buy in any retail chain store to take care of personal health and grooming. Also baby wipes, diapers, etc. And how about Depends for the seniors? Clean clothes and toys would help people who've lost everything. On an island where are you going to even buy that stuff if the stores got wiped out? Maybe I'm being naive here...airlines are beholden to stockholders first and foremost, and they made $7 billion last year in luggage and change fees, so why would they give up that kind of profit? But they should do something,,,imho they are not going to stay in business if tourists don't want to fly to destroyed islands!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe airlines can use extra space on planes to transport cargo. All it cost is the handling fees and some extra fuel. Maybe airlines should limit the amount of bags people can take to free up space.

Hopefully a lot more things are done.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
It doesn't have to be complicated. Just waive the fees to airports like San Juan or St Thomas. It's not as if people are flocking there for vacation.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I think PR needs gasoline and water most, not toothpaste and stuff like that.

geekette

Reaction score
I doubt airlines would do this, it is a money-maker, and impossible to be sure who is taking advantage.

If you are good with donating, then consider the bag fee to be part of that donation.

I personally think bag fees are a ridiculous extortion and for that reason I don't think you will be successful, but, you can try. I would put everything in a box, label it well, and plead your case at check-in and give up when they say no.

shoegal

Reaction score
Well, how would the airline be assured that everything within that luggage is indeed for humanitarian causes?

Maybe this could work if airlines offered a drop off service where a donator could leave goods to be transported to the affected area. Then again, the airline may be charged taxes for importing goods and I can only assume a whole legal mess would arise and therefore airlines don't even bother.

That being said, it is always wonderful when people wish to help and terrible if they just dont know how. So maybe rather than paying for transportation costs it makes sense to donate the whole amount to the charity organization of choice like the Red Cross, they have all the experience and means in the world. It's simply terrible to see how many places are currently in need. We really need to count our blessings.