• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2010 ] Is Hyatt Insane?

ntsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although this adjustment is good for many of us, people who purchased Silver 1400 point weeks at other properties with low maintenance fees hoping to trade into the Key West area will have a major issue. The entire month of July has been upgraded from Silver to Platinum (2000 points). They will now need an additional 600 points to book Key West in July. Let's hope they own more than one week. I'm so happy we purchased resale units at the location we wanted and the weeks we actually like to travel.

jomarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has not worked well for me. I had originally purchased week 42 at the Hyatt Beach house on resale only because I really wanted week 17- 20 and couldn't find it. So now I pretty much have a useless timeshare and have no desire to travel in the weeks they have given me. They have upgraded my points to gold but the weeks they have given are not good. I guess if I had of owned weeks 20, I would still be ok. I am going to have to try to sell it now and I am sure it won't be easy to do.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the Points Chart!
http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/HRCPointsChart_2017.pdf

But the Bad Gnews is...it will cost you 2000 points to stay in your unit!

Definitely not complaining (I own week 22), but strange that weeks 18-30 have all been upgraded to platinum, except for a single week in the middle (22), which is gold.

At any rate will be nice to have some more points for trade.

On a side note I am surprised none of the other big hotel timeshare companies have developed anything on Key West. It's a great location and Hyatt has 3.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Kal, I just posted this in the other season/points thread, but we were confirmed for our July 2017 week last year and it's still showing as 1400 points (because it was already confirmed?) on our reservation. This morning I noticed we have 600 points in CUP which I thought was an error. Now I'm wondering if we actually get those points to use this year! And if so, do I have to book something and stay during the months of the CUP (January - July) or can I book during those months for a stay during say December?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, I just posted this in the other season/points thread, but we were confirmed for our July 2017 week last year and it's still showing as 1400 points (because it was already confirmed?) on our reservation. This morning I noticed we have 600 points in CUP which I thought was an error. Now I'm wondering if we actually get those points to use this year! And if so, do I have to book something and stay during the months of the CUP (January - July) or can I book during those months for a stay during say December?
You've got some issues where you need to talk to Hyatt. The question will affect lots of members who have confirmed a future week which was valued upwards. Does your account get charged the current value or the value at confirmation??? If in the meantime you use the 600 points and subsequently find that you need those points for the July 2017 week, the July reservation could be at risk. This question demands a very clear written answer from Hyatt.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

The point change wont negatively affect the previous reservation as its already been confirmed.

Sounds odd that you used your deeded week to make the July 2017 reservation AND your account shows the increased value of the 600 points. Will be interesting to hear the explanation for that as other HRC owners with confirmed reservations for next year do not show the increased points associated with the week used for the 2017 reservation.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
The point change wont negatively affect the previous reservation as its already been confirmed.

Sounds odd that you used your deeded week to make the July 2017 reservation AND your account shows the increased value of the 600 points. Will be interesting to hear the explanation for that as other HRC owners with confirmed reservations for next year do not show the increased points associated with the week used for the 2017 reservation.

I agree with you and Kal - seems odd they would give us the additional points and only charge 1400 points for our confirmed week. But it would be a nice bonus if they did. :) If I owned a 1400 point week elsewhere and was confirmed at HSH for 1400 points for this year prior to the points system changing, I can see where they would need to honor my confirmation and I wouldn't get additional points so it may just be an error. On the other hand, last year I owned a 1400 point week and this year I own a 2000 point week, so who knows.

I emailed info@hyattresidenceclub.com this morning to see if they will give me a definite answer one way or the other. I certainly won't try to book anything with those points without confirmation.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.

In looking at mine, after all the previous threads. I own wk. 27 deeded at sunset, was 1400 points. I made the reservation for the coming yr.(2017) immediately when able in 2016. I now have a platinum season, and shows that it cost me 2000 points to book. No extra 600 points here:confused:

Last edited:

ntsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the Points Chart!
http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/HRCPointsChart_2017.pdf

But the Bad Gnews is...it will cost you 2000 points to stay in your unit!

Kal,
I've been thinking.....

Since Hyatt is changing to PurePoints, do you think they will offer deeded owners the chance to buy points to cover any deficients incurred by the changes in KW? For example:

Week 31 owners (1400 pt silver) now need 2000 pts to travel during week 29 (formally silver but now 2000 pt Platinum).

Those owners need 600 more points to take the vacation they may be accustomed to. Perhaps Hyatt will mitigate this in the future by allowing owners to purchase more points.

What are your thoughts?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you and Kal - seems odd they would give us the additional points and only charge 1400 points for our confirmed week. But it would be a nice bonus if they did. :) If I owned a 1400 point week elsewhere and was confirmed at HSH for 1400 points for this year prior to the points system changing, I can see where they would need to honor my confirmation and I wouldn't get additional points so it may just be an error. On the other hand, last year I owned a 1400 point week and this year I own a 2000 point week, so who knows.

I emailed info@hyattresidenceclub.com this morning to see if they will give me a definite answer one way or the other. I certainly won't try to book anything with those points without confirmation.
I charted out the revaluation of the Key West resorts to get a better view of how various weeks prospered in the revaluation. Go here to check it out:
http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/KWPoints.pdf

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal,
I've been thinking.....

Since Hyatt is changing to PurePoints, do you think they will offer deeded owners the chance to buy points to cover any deficients incurred by the changes in KW? For example:

Week 31 owners (1400 pt silver) now need 2000 pts to travel during week 29 (formally silver but now 2000 pt Platinum).

Those owners need 600 more points to take the vacation they may be accustomed to. Perhaps Hyatt will mitigate this in the future by allowing owners to purchase more points.

What are your thoughts?
I don't know why Week 31 stands out from the rest of the summer weeks but that week is a good example of negative impact from previous travels. Putting on my conspiracy hat, this would be one example where owners might consider the PurePoints program to obtain extra points (and options). As always, the PurePoints program must be stocked with available unit/weeks which would fit within the previous travel choices.

I don't see Hyatt providing any mitigation to a selected class of owners. In large part, the vast majority of owners have received significant additional points from the revaluation.

It's also interesting that members who own the most expensive 2200 point Diamond weeks did not benefit from the revaluation.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I charted out the revaluation of the Key West resorts to get a better view of how various weeks prospered in the revaluation. Go here to check it out:
Wow, week 17 went from silver to diamond. At first I thought it might be Songwriters but that's week 18 or possibly even later some years.

I just heard back from HRC and was told reservations confirmed prior to 1/1 will be honored at the old points value and the 600 points I now have in CUP are indeed valid for me to use this year. :) I was also told everyone who had weeks affected will be receiving an additional communication from HRC with information specific to the weeks owned.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, week 17 went from silver to diamond. At first I thought it might be Songwriters but that's week 18 or possibly even later some years.

I just heard back from HRC and was told reservations confirmed prior to 1/1 will be honored at the old points value and the 600 points I now have in CUP are indeed valid for me to use this year. :) I was also told everyone who had weeks affected will be receiving an additional communication from HRC with information specific to the weeks owned.

Very interesting approach by Hyatt. Not sure how the points arithmetic is rationalized, but at the end of the day, most KW owners with confirmed reservations get a legacy credit on top of the revaluation bounce.

You just need to watch those 600 points to assure they don't go into LCUP without a planned approach.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Might you have that in an email? If so, could you share it with me? We own at Beach House, week 29, and were confirmed months prior to 1/1. The account does not show 600 points available, but does show 2000 points used for the reservation.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Perhaps the revaluation is because of all the folks who rave about KW;) I would guess it is demand related, and that KW demand has strengthened over the past number of years. The value of KW real-estate, of all kinds, is the limited land available.

As an owner of BH wk 10 I see the bonus of re-valuation; as an owner of WOR wk 22 I see that it does, devalue those points if I wanted to use them for KW travel. It reminds of the need to be certain that I have something I would want to use if I could not trade it! My WOR was mostly for trading...into lower priced weeks at WOR so I'm not worried about it currently. However, the future is always uncertain.

I also saw, in the new rules, that they have added a in a clause whereby they could give you a week at a discounted points value, provided you pay a fee.

This gives credence to what Kal wrote.
Putting on my conspiracy hat, this would be one example where owners might consider the PurePoints program to obtain extra points (and options).

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from HRC and was told reservations confirmed prior to 1/1 will be honored at the old points value and the 600 points I now have in CUP are indeed valid for me to use this year.

Might you have that in an email? If so, could you share it with me? We own at Beach House, week 29, and were confirmed months prior to 1/1. The account does not show 600 points available, but does show 2000 points used for the reservation.

Based on the "official" HRC position, owner accounts will not be receiving the point differential between a 2016 week and a 2017 week on a reservation that was confirmed in 2016. It would be a nice plus if the IslandTime scenario pans out - however, the Sapper scenario is most likely to be the one that wins out.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the "official" HRC position, owner accounts will not be receiving the point differential between a 2016 week and a 2017 week on a reservation that was confirmed in 2016. It would be a nice plus if the IslandTime scenario pans out - however, the Sapper scenario is most likely to be the one that wins out.

For one, I have reservations confirmed in 2016 for 2017 occupancy in Key West. However, I have additional points added to my account before I even receive any of the new annual points. This places me square in the IslandTime camp.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is really helpful, thanks!

Weeks 21,23, and 24 really made out (bronze all the way up to platinum!).

Still seems odd that week 22 is the outlier gold week in a sea of platinums... I guess maybe because it's Memorial Day weekend?

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also saw, in the new rules, that they have added a in a clause whereby they could give you a week at a discounted points value, provided you pay a fee.

This gives credence to what Kal wrote.
Putting on my conspiracy hat, this would be one example where owners might consider the PurePoints program to obtain extra points (and options).

I guess this is similar to the change in Hyatt Gold Passport which now allows you to use cash+points for hotel reservations. I see it as added flexibility and not necessarily a bad thing.