• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Any timeshare resorts in Cuba?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just trying to prepare for my first trip there now that US and Cuba are normalizing relations. I'm hoping I'll be able to go in Dec 2016 or Jan 2017. Have any Canadian, Spanish or other international resort developers built resorts in Cuba?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Oh Cuba. I wondered where "Cuna" was. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Carol - for future reference, you can edit a title by clicking EDIT and then ADVANCED EDIT.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Me too!, to my knowledge which is small, there are no timeshares in Cuba yet!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might be trying to progress a bit too quickly here. As of now, you can't even use a credit card in Cuba. It will take some time for a decidedly 3rd world country with centrally managed government and services to move into the 21st century. It'll take them selling and Americans buying a few million cigars to get there.

But if you really want a '57 or '58 Chevy with a Russian diesel tractor engine, you're looking in the right place.

Jim

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuba has been a popular vacation destination for people from other countries (Canada, the UK, etc.) for a long time. Are we absolutely sure that there aren't timeshares there already? We are also so excited to be able to go to Cuba finally! So close to where we live but yet not a place we ever really thought we'd see in our lifetimes.

Reaction score
Cuba

while timeshares are elusive in Cuba, so too are all other accommodations... and at an increasing rate! The Casa Particular is like a BNB. I have stayed in them when not in Havana however are now finding them to be more accessible than hotel rooms, esp with the right size travel group, given the large travel providers buying up most hotel rooms.

Casa particular (Spanish for "private house"; plural casas particulares) is a phrase meaning private accommodation or private homestays in Cuba, very similar to bed and breakfast although it can also take the form of vacation rental. When the meaning is clear the term is often shortened to simply casa.

A casa particular is basically a private family establishment that provides paid lodging, usually on a short-term basis. In general under this term you can find full apartment and houses, rooms inside people homes, mini-apartments or rooms with separate entrance (studio or efficiency type rooms).

Casas particulares can be recognised by a small sign on the door, with two blue triangles ('roofs') against a white background, which the owners obtain after paying a fixed per-room annual tax.

Casas particulares have several advantages over other types of lodgings: Guests can quickly develop genuine Cuban relationships and become deeply involved in the culture of the country also they will enjoy a free and easy atmosphere, feel at home in the casa particular and will be able to invite friends over.

In 1997, when the Cuban government allowed Cubans to rent out rooms in their houses or apartments to tourists, providing Cuban families with new sources of income. As any other type of accommodation in Cuba such as hotels, camping and motels were owned by the government, the term “casa particular” stated that this kind of paid lodging was privately operated.

Casas keep some similarity to Bed & Breakfast, where breakfast is usually included in the price, although you should ask first.

I've also experienced dinner made for us as well as a welcome 'diddly' (small drink of cuban rum) along with some local chocolates.

The casa can offer a 'retreat' feel in either the style of more laid back or, if you want a higher end/refined home, a private space for VIPS/executives to not be bothered by the service people interruptions in a hotel.

I hope this info is helpful...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
FYI - this question was asked almost a year ago. When you use the search function, please look at the date of the posts that you pull up, because they can go as far back as 2005.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Cuba resorts

Sunwing Airlines a Canadian based leisure travel airline
has Travel Smart VIP Club - a points based Vacation Club

Their resort affiliate in Cuba is called Memories and seems to have 7 locations in Cuba , as well as some other Caribbean locations . All are listed as AI

I came across this a few years ago & thought I would post it now since Cuba is in the travel news.

I am not sure if the experience would differ much from going to an AI in the Dominican Republic . ( We have not done either country . My comparison is going to Puerto Vallarta ( non AI ) and comparing vacation stories with other Canadians who have gone to Cuba or DR on AI )

I have occasionally seen these for sale for $ 100 & google brings up the usual TS sales complaints .< {ie} paid $15 K -Yada Yada Yada >

Their points apparently can be used to exchange into RCI affiliates , but they
do the exchange for you .

google - Sunwing Travel Group and you will find it .

< Have used Sunwing as they fly nonstop from YYZ (Toronto) to PVR (every Friday / peak winter) and some years they have been cheaper than Air Canada or similar >
& they have lots of experience flying to Cuba as well .

Last edited: