• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2016 Lawsuit - Galleon Resort in Key West, FL

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It will be interesting to know how much the HOAs insurance picks up of the tab and how much individual owners will be assessed, if anything.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just...wow, is all I can say. OK I can say more.
Wonder if he'll return the over $150,000 to the go fundme folks?
I'm guessing the lawyers probably got 1/3 of the almost $11 million settlement.

Yeah, I'd guess the MF would go up as the insurance rates will definitely increase for the resort.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
About $500 in signs would have prevented this.

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the same way truth is an absolute defense for libel/slander, idiocy really, really needs to be a defense for personal injury....it's appalling that he won a penny!

clairebear

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the Tiki bar is separate from the resort, so maybe owners won't be affected. Regardless, glad we just sold our unit.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
even if insurance covered it all (although im sure with a settlement that large, the defense lawyers will appeal till the cows come home)...id imagine the insurance premiums would go up significantly and thus impact owners either way.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It will be interesting to know how much the HOAs insurance picks up of the tab and how much individual owners will be assessed, if anything.

I believe Tiki bar was only 1million of the judgment.
This was a settlement, not a judgment. The insurance will cover everything. An insurance carrier cannot settle part of the case and make the owners liable for a portion.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
even if insurance covered it all (although im sure with a settlement that large, the defense lawyers will appeal till the cows come home)...id imagine the insurance premiums would go up significantly and thus impact owners either way.
Not sure there will be any appeal. I understand that it was a settlement, it never went to trial.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
whew, 11 million dollars was what they agreed to? what on earth were they asking for in the first place.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
There has to be more to this case than anyone not associated with it knows. Perhaps there had already been several "near misses" that were never addressed appropriately, leading to the likelihood of a judgement against the resort. McDonalds lost the hot coffee case in large part because, as I understand it, they had been cited more than once for having the temperature of their coffee to hot (hot enough to scald).

Then again, all one has to do is read the warnings posted on anything you purchase to understand people are idiots. I'm often amazed the human species has survived as long as we have. From a very young age I've had it pounded into my head to NEVER jump head first into water which I don't know.

Many years ago there was a beautiful clear water spring, obviously VERY deep with a great rock ledge for diving. There as a HUGE sign posted, "NO DIVING." I was maybe 13 years old and ask my dad why they wouldn't allow diving into what was obviously a deep clear water pool. He had me put my hand in the water. It was in the 50's for a temp. It was a cold water spring and that water was cold enough to make a person cramp, sink and drown. It was another teaching moment of "don't jump into water you're not familiar with, especially head first"

I learned my lesson by asking. Some people learn by jumping. To bad for this guy and his family he learned by jumping. No amount of money will ever be enough to compensate him for what he's lost. Maybe the resort will learn a lesson by paying up too.

Last edited:

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a shame the owners are gonna have to pay for this. Yes, there should have been a sign that said "No diving", but you really shouldn't be diving in any resort pool. Deep ends in resort pools are far and few between.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a shame the owners are gonna have to pay for this. Yes, there should have been a sign that said "No diving", but you really shouldn't be diving in any resort pool. Deep ends in resort pools are far and few between.

This was about diving off a pier not a pool deck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Plus I'm thinking it's going to be a large assessment to the owners. I feel bad for him but common sense has to apply to people stupid stuff

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed, this is an example of why resorts carry insurance.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This happened to a student in a lake off a fishing boat. The school nurse brought him to class, sometimes we had to help him get back upright, the nurse would comeback for catherization time. My high school friends husband dived into hotel pool on vacation in Wisconsin dells, he died sometime later from pneumonia, about early thirties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
merged

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Sounds like the insurance company settled. So I'm guessing any assessment will be mitigated to a maintenance fee increase to cover any increase in insurance premiums.