• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AC Motion Sensors at Grande Vista

Marykate77

Reaction score
Hello

We are looking to book a cash reservation through Marriott at Grande Vista in Orlando

Does anyone know if they have those motion sensors on the thermostats?

We have had problems at DVC because the thermostats have those motion sensors and the air goes off at night once you aren't moving anymore. In the summer in Orlando this is a real problem

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew the details on this at Grande Vista

Thanks so much in advance for any info

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Nothing that I've ever noticed at MGV or any other Marriott timeshare.

You set the temp at 68, 70, 72 or whatever you want...and it stays there.

Anyone else see motion sensors in any MVC resort thermostats. I haven't.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
The primary purpose of the sensors as I understand it is to keep the A/C off when the balcony door is open. Once you close the door the A/C kicks back on. Movement inside the unit isn't required to keep the A/C on at night. Not sure if they have sensors at MGV but some of the Hilton Head resorts do.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Good reminder. You are correct that several MVC resorts have a wired sensor to shut off the AC if a balcony door is open. You can't listen to the waves with the balcony open and have the AC on. But none of these are based on motion.

I could see motion on thermostats being a cost saver to the resort (and its owners) for when nobody is home, but also an annoyance perhaps to the vacationer if it turns off while sleeping (no motion) etc.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have read over on Disboards that some people buy helium balloons and put them in front of a vent to provide motion to keep the thermostat on.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Interesting, I thought that at our stay at Ko Olina in February the AC always seemed to go off at night. If I got up and went back to bed they would come on again.

Marykate77

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought that at our stay at Ko Olina in February the AC always seemed to go off at night. If I got up and went back to bed they would come on again.

Yes that is most likely a motion sensor on the AC that caused that.

Marykate77

Reaction score
I have read over on Disboards that some people buy helium balloons and put them in front of a vent to provide motion to keep the thermostat on.

I've read that trick doesn't work on all sensors anymore unfortunately!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that we just ran into this problem at the Marriott Grand Chateau in Las Vegas. The air did in fact shut off at night when there was no movement in the unit. It got really stuffy in there. I'm sure we've noticed that in a couple of other Marriott's as well.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are sensors at Shadow Ridge also. When you leave the unit, the air goes off, then comes back on when you return. Someone in our unit usually gets up sometime in the night , so we haven't seen it as a big problem, but I understand that it could be.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Hello

We are looking to book a cash reservation through Marriott at Grande Vista in Orlando

Does anyone know if they have those motion sensors on the thermostats?

We have had problems at DVC because the thermostats have those motion sensors and the air goes off at night once you aren't moving anymore. In the summer in Orlando this is a real problem

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew the details on this at Grande Vista

Thanks so much in advance for any info

We stayed there 3 times in 2016 - September, October and November. There were no motion sensor thermostats. We were in a studio, two and three bedroom unit. The units are being renovated.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
The primary purpose of the sensors as I understand it is to keep the A/C off when the balcony door is open. Once you close the door the A/C kicks back on. Movement inside the unit isn't required to keep the A/C on at night. Not sure if they have sensors at MGV but some of the Hilton Head resorts do.

Oh, you are right! We were in the 3 bedroom at the Surf Club last month. The AC went off automatically when we left the door open to the balcony. Sometimes we just wanted the cool breeze to circulate.

Marykate77

Reaction score
I know that we just ran into this problem at the Marriott Grand Chateau in Las Vegas. The air did in fact shut off at night when there was no movement in the unit. It got really stuffy in there. I'm sure we've noticed that in a couple of other Marriott's as well.

Ugh! The Disney DVCs all have these and most of them shut off at night (in our experience anyway) when they don't sense movement. We have seen them in many hotels as well

Marykate77

Reaction score
We stayed there 3 times in 2016 - September, October and November. There were no motion sensor thermostats. We were in a studio, two and three bedroom unit. The units are being renovated.

Thanks! I hope the renovations don't include the installation of these sensors :eek:

Marykate77

Reaction score
Rats. I just found a guest bedroom picture that shows a motion sensor. Perhaps they got added in the renovations.

I guess that rules GV out.

Maybe sometime for a winter stay when AC is not as critical in Orlando

Thanks again for all of the info!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Rats. I just found a guest bedroom picture that shows a motion sensor. Perhaps they got added in the renovations.

It is possible that the sensor is inactive.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Perhaps worth calling the resort and asking. That way you know for certain, one way or the other.

Marykate77

Reaction score
I actually did call and they told me there were no sensors. I came here to ask first hand since I know that forums often have better info than front desks ;)

It's possible they are inactive but it's also possible they are active

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
There are sensors at Shadow Ridge also. When you leave the unit, the air goes off, then comes back on when you return. Someone in our unit usually gets up sometime in the night , so we haven't seen it as a big problem, but I understand that it could be.

I absolutely hate the AC system at Shadowridge and have brought it up twice at the owners meeting. They send an engineer over and he says it's working fine. To compound the problem they have no ceiling fans in the bedrooms. Unbelievable in the desert. We're always there in February. Can't imagine how stuffy it gets in the heat of the summer.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
I'm a very longtime owner at DVC & also own at MMOC/Napili. I have met with these horrible little devices at both DVC & MMOC. It is impossible for me to sleep in a warm room. My solution? I call engineering the minute I get in my room and ask them to override the little buggers, letting them know that it is a serious need for me to have a cool room, else I become a sleep-deprived shrew (or zombie) on my vacation. Severe insomnia is not a joke. I tip them and thank them, and I am a happy vacationer. Typically on stays longer than a week, I have found one needs to have engineering back again. Even if I did not suffer with insomnia, I would HATE waking up sweaty, like I have with those stingy motions-sensor thermostats.

If enough members/owners/guests would complain about these sensor thermostats, perhaps they would go away. I have NO problem with the A/C turning off when the sliders are open. That makes perfect sense. But turning off at NIGHT when people are trying to sleep?? Despicable....

Marykate77

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the AC system at Shadowridge and have brought it up twice at the owners meeting. They send an engineer over and he says it's working fine. To compound the problem they have no ceiling fans in the bedrooms. Unbelievable in the desert. We're always there in February. Can't imagine how stuffy it gets in the heat of the summer.

I agree, the time of year is critical. That's what we're thinking about Orlando now....that it's not an option anymore in the very hot months since every hotel/villa has installed these now

Marykate77

Reaction score
I'm a very longtime owner at DVC & also own at MMOC/Napili. I have met with these horrible little devices at both DVC & MMOC. It is impossible for me to sleep in a warm room. My solution? I call engineering the minute I get in my room and ask them to override the little buggers, letting them know that it is a serious need for me to have a cool room, else I become a sleep-deprived shrew (or zombie) on my vacation. Severe insomnia is not a joke. I tip them and thank them, and I am a happy vacationer. Typically on stays longer than a week, I have found one needs to have engineering back again. Even if I did not suffer with insomnia, I would HATE waking up sweaty, like I have with those stingy motions-sensor thermostats.

If enough members/owners/guests would complain about these sensor thermostats, perhaps they would go away. I have NO problem with the A/C turning off when the sliders are open. That makes perfect sense. But turning off at NIGHT when people are trying to sleep?? Despicable....

That's great that you have had luck getting them deactivated. I have not had any luck at DVC even after repeated visits to the front desk. They just lie and say they did it. I also hate thinking I have to go into a vacation and deal with this.

I keep waiting for the consumer revolt on these things

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I was at Grande Vista, about two weeks ago. There were no sensors on the air. In fact they were both set to 68 degrees when we arrived. It was nice and cold in the rooms. And the temps outside were 98 that week!