• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Additional Night at Ko'Olina - Best Strategy

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have a seven night reservation at KoOlina for December that is an II exchange. The Marriott II Unit Code is ZZAA-Ocean View 2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio. We are looking to add a single night before the 7 night reservation. Here is our thinking with possibilities. Our one night reservation would be for a studio. We currently have a MV penthouse unit booked since it is the same points cost as the regular MV studio, but that can be changed if needed by renting some additional points. The odd number of points required for the studio units would require us to rent more points than needed since transfers are limited to 25 point increments.

1. Reserve an OV studio for the one night and hope that the property will just allow us to open the lock off door once the 1BR side is available. This would save a move and keep us in the unit category that is assigned to the current II exchange. One issue with this is that I am currently about 50 points short of the number of points needed for the reservation. Somewhat easy to rent.
  2. Reserve a MV and hope for a move to the unit category of the II exchange. With the move being early in the stay, we wil have long forgotten it by the end of our trip.
  3. If the property is going to downgrade our II exchange, we could keep the MV penthouse and hope that they just allow us to open up in to the 1BR side and avoid the move. Staying in a MV top floor unit may take away the sting of not having the OV.
  4. Reserve a MV regular studio and hop they open us up to the 1BR side. This would probably be the easiest to accomplish given the severe downgrade.
The II exchange adds the biggest variable to the mix and how the property will handle our current II exchange and if they will keep us in the unit category of the week on the II exchange. I am leaning toward keeping #3. Perhaps if they do make us move, it would at least be to the OV on the II confirmation. I know there are no guarantees though. Thoughts?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Would not count on the penthouse even though it is a downgrade from ov. There are not a lot of mv penthouse as is. So either dc points or penthouse owners using/renting their weeks would get the unit preference. I believe only 2 mv penthouse units in kona and 2 in moana plus whatever units in naia.

I would go with number 4.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Personally, I'd go with the first option and hope for the best. It's a big trip and I think trying to stay in the OV would be well worth the few dollars it would cost to supplement your points, and I'd hope it was a little nudge for them to keep you in the II view assignment.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Reserve an OV studio for the one night and hope that the property will just allow us to open the lock off door once the 1BR side is available. This would save a move and keep us in the unit category that is assigned to the current II exchange.

Dioxide,

I would go with this approach -- reserve the OV and hope they keep you in the same unit (which I think they will). This is an interesting experiment and I hope they give you a decent room with a good view. Please let us know!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Would not count on the penthouse even though it is a downgrade from ov. There are not a lot of mv penthouse as is. So either dc points or penthouse owners using/renting their weeks would get the unit preference. I believe only 2 mv penthouse units in kona and 2 in moana plus whatever units in naia.

I would go with number 4.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Read your 1st choice again and did not see the last sentence that you would be willing to rent additional points. So if you are open to that i would go with number one also. I have had luck when having a 1br and then going to a 2br next week with same view they would just open the lockoff. Or going from 2br to 1br room control kept us in the same room but closed the studio. Only time they refused when we were in a 3br going to a 2br we had to move.

Also there are 10 mv penthouse studios units in moana and 4 or 8 mv penthouse studios in naia. Just went to look this morning.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thought I would follow up on what we did and how it worked out. We used points to reserve an OV studio for the first night. When we checked in they did incidate that they would keep us in the same villa for the eight nights. At about 10:30 the morning of the second day they called to say that the 1BR half was available and we just had to go to the front desk to get rekeyed. Though I did buy a couple of the RFID wristbands at that time too.

We were placed in a 7th floor ocean view unit in Hale Moana. Not the best, but better than I expected. High enough to at least see water over the trees.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thought I would follow up on what we did and how it worked out. We used points to reserve an OV studio for the first night. When we checked in they did incidate that they would keep us in the same villa for the eight nights. At about 10:30 the morning of the second day they called to say that the 1BR half was available and we just had to go to the front desk to get rekeyed. Though I did buy a couple of the RFID wristbands at that time too.

We were placed in a 7th floor ocean view unit in Hale Moana. Not the best, but better than I expected. High enough to at least see water over the trees.
For an II exchange that is higher than usual. Enjoy your view.

Give me a call. We are in hale kona.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Congratulations on a good accommodation! I’m glad to hear it worked out without you having to move. Enjoy your stay.

Best regards.

Mike

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Ummm, could you please elaborate on the RFID wristband? I've not seen those at Marriott before, and I was at Ko Olina and Waiohai in July.
Where can these be used?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Dioxide,

That’s great news!!! Glad it worked and I agree with others than 7th floor works even if tree top look. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They at least work at the resorts listed on this link from 2015. Most of these resorts sell both the CMN branded bands as well as Resort branded bands.
http://www.marriottvacationclub.com...rst-Wristband-Room-Key-to-Support-Charity.pdf
Ours is neither the CMN or resort branded one. Ours is a white one with a Marriott Vacation Club logo on it. They must have gone the way of the key cards. Years ago they had resort branded key cards that gave way to basic ones with MVC on them for all the resorts.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Here is a photo of our view on checkout day :(
View attachment 5243

Not a bad view. We had a similar one in our last Ko Olina stay, via an II exchange. But, bummer on checkout. I'm sure the weather is nicer in HI than OH. (Go Buckeyes!)

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were recently at Canyon Villas and they still had resort specific RFID wristbands for charity. We added to our collection to have a variety from different resorts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We went to the Billabong pipe Masters Surf competition while we were in Oahu. We were there for day one. The day after we checked out they did the finals which we had to watch from home. It was a great experience and great surfing. Going to a surf competition is truly a unique experience. There is really no other sport like it where you can get this close to the athletes moments before they compete. Here are a couple photos that my wife took.

pipe-1.jpg
wave-surfing-1.jpg

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch