• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice - Ko Olina vs Maui OC

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Any advice would be appreciated...we have stayed at both places but now plan to take 5 grandkids (ages 6-14 with parents) at some time during 2018. Been accumulating DC points for this. Which locale is best for kids activities (not resort sponsored) e.g. water activities, whale watching, luau, etc, etc. On our prior stays we were not kid-centric!

Thanks for any input!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Both resorts and islands are great, and depending on whether the grandkids and there parents have been to either island, my initial thought would be Ko Olina.

The resort has nice pools as well as the coves, not to mention Aulani to visit. Add to that the beaches in various locations, the history (Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Diamond Head, Punch Bowl), and Waikiki.

Maui has the beach right there and great pools, as well as Haleakala to visit. The road to Hana may or may not be great for the kids.

You can't go wrong with either location.

Best regards.

Mike

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Well, where whale watching is concerned Maui no ka oi! It's the best, far and away. I have spent 3 different trips staying in Ko Olina, though those stays were at Aulani not MVC. I own DVC, and own 3 weeks at MMOC on Maui in Napili towers so we have spent a great deal more time on Maui at MMOC.

Water activities are a bit more limited with the manmade lagoons of Ko Olina but then that makes for a very safe learning environment for SUP or snorkeling. And of course there's tons of stuff to do on Oahu, along with Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace & the Bishop museum.

The beach right at MMOC is far superior IMHO to a manmade lagoon, the assets listed above notwithstanding. I am super partial to Maui, particularly in whale season. It's literally one of the best places on the planet to observe humpback whales. I love that Maui is a little quieter an island than Oahu, but that's me. Ko Olina is nice and quiet I think.

Lots of folks will weigh in so no doubt you'll have lots of great input to consider as you plan your wonderful trip with the grands!! Happy planning! :hi:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd really have to say Maui. The Ocean Club pool itself will be a huge hit with all ages for sure. Down the beach walkway you have fairly good snorkeling at Blackrock. Along that same beach walkway are many good dining and shopping options at your walking leisure. Some boating excursions right from the beach close by and downtown Lahaina is a 1/4 mile away.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at both with our two kids. You can't go wrong either way. MMOC has a better beach, but it is right out there on the Kaanapali beach walk. Ko 'Olina is a bit more private. Both have exquisite pool areas. There probably is more to do outside the resort in reasonable distance at MMOC. I guess in the end I would give the edge to MMOC given the activities available, but it's a closer call.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I would also vote for Maui (as my ownership would suggest). The property will appeal beautifully for children ages 6-14 and there are a number of shops/restaurants at Whalers Village that provide an additional diversion. We've been going annually since 2008 and hope to have many more years there.

Ko Olina is also a wonderful property, and we love the grounds, lagoon and the adult pool. There are advantages to both properties, but for children that age, I would give the larger pool/pirate ship/keiki club/Whalers Village at MOC as the tie break. I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

Now, if you can somehow get access to Aulani for a day or two while you were at Ko Olina........ that would be a compelling argument.

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Both are great resort options. You really cannot go wrong with either. Pros/cons of each already stated above. Both have fantastic pools.

MMOC has a real beach with waves, snorkeling nearby, and better whale watching (during season). MMOC will also have a bit more (shops/restaurants) within walking distance via Whaler's Village. Maui has a bit of everything. I would skip the Road to Hana with younger kids.

MKO has fantastic lagoons that are perfect for younger kids (no waves, great snorkeling also). Oahu has some of the larger Hawaii sites like Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, Diamond Head, North Short, etc. Polynesian Cultural Center would also be great for kids.

If it were me, I'd select MMOC. I just personally prefer that resort and island.

taffy19

Reaction score
Any advice would be appreciated...we have stayed at both places but now plan to take 5 grandkids (ages 6-14 with parents) at some time during 2018. Been accumulating DC points for this. Which locale is best for kids activities (not resort sponsored) e.g. water activities, whale watching, luau, etc, etc. On our prior stays we were not kid-centric!

Thanks for any input!
There is a lot to do for your grandchildren in Maui on the beach and there is also a really nice pool there. They give surfing lessons right in front of the resort and teach other water sports too or you can just rent body boards and kayaks.

Snorkeling is most popular at Black Rock but you may have to drive and find parking there. You can walk it if you go really early and that is the best time to go snorkeling anyway unless there is a storm. We had some very big waves last year.

You can even go on a Catamaran right from the beach and do a snorkel/whale watching tour from here but there are many other snorkel tours from Lahaina too. The Catamarans are right in front of the Whalers Village. Sometimes, there are four on a row and it's fun to watch people and kids board and come off the Catamaran. The crew is really very good and safety-conscious. The kids will love Ka'anapali Beach!

Besides that there is enough sightseeing to do on Maui. They will never forget this vacation with you and their parents!

i-D336zjZ-L.jpg

Black Rock

i-6R5wQcQ-L.jpg

I always enjoy watching the kids taking their surfing lessons and some are pretty young. :)

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
When my grandkids are old enough, I'll do the best of both worlds. Agree with many of the comments above- the pirate boat and pools at MOC, the easy walk to Black Rock Beach for snorkeling, multiple restaurants within walking distance, Whaler's Village, etc. are compelling reasons to choose Maui. However, esp. if it is a long trip, I'd fly into or out of Honolulu and spend a couple of days there. Pearl Harbor is such a moving historic site, and even in their twenties my kids loved the Polynesian Cultural Center. Since you're booking with DC points, spend 6 days at MOC and 3 at Ko'Olina, or some variation for a truly once in a lifetime trip!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We own at both Ko Olina and the new towers at Maui Ocean Club. In my opinion Maui is the clear first choice. We plan to take our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter to Hawaii in a few years when she is a little older (she is almost 2 now). We may go both places (with a longer stay in Maui) but if we do only one it will be Maui. The main reason we might do both is because our daughter-in-law has never been to Hawaii and Pearl Harbor is kind of a must-see for an adult or high school age student.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Thanks for all the good information...I appreciate the responses!

Videoguy75

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been alternating between the two for a long time, taking everyone with us. What started with the 5 of us and both sets of our parents is now us and our kids and 12 grandkids from 2-15. 25 total. No matter what the ages, everyone pretty much considers both perfect.

Let's see. 2018. That would be Maui. Maybe we will see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going in August 2018, too. 1 week at HGVC King's Land and one week in either Maui or Kauai. Hard choice!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk