TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon's Echo Dot capabilities for older people (and for us too), which ones do you use?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by rickandcindy23, May 19, 2017 at 7:15 PM.

1. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Right this minute, Rick is listening to the Echo Dot as it plays a mixture of songs by Bread. I didn't pay for a Bread album, but it's playing the entire album I owned in the 1970's, while Rick is singing while making his famous banana bread. Hey, that is ironic.

How in the world is that happening? Last night, I asked it to play Beatles music, and for nearly 2 hours while cleaning my kitchen and mopping the floor, I heard The Beatles, and rarely a repeated song.

We bought one of these little dudes for my mother-in-law for her house, because she is 89 and flatly refuses to wear her Life Alert alarm. I see there is a capability to set it up to send a message, which would go to Rick's cell phone, if she alerts Alexa correctly. So if she fell, she would have to have the presence of mind to ask for it to send an email message to Rick. I keep hoping this will be easy for her. Maybe just wishful thinking? We are going to train her how to use it while on Kauai over the next few weeks.

What capabilities do you use with Alexa? I love this stupid thing.

mpumilia likes this.
  2. mpumilia

mpumilia Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

We have the Echo and the Dot. I usually say Good Morning to her and she will tell me something special about the day. I ask her for the weather, the daily affirmation and my horoscope. When I exercise, I ask her to play music from my Prime Music Library.

We have the emergency thing set up with her but haven't tested it yet.

I love having her add items to my shopping list and onto my phone. I also use her as a timer for when I cook. She will do several timers at once. I have used her for an alarm clock. I have played a few games, but I really don't have time for that. I have also used her to get information- like measurements for when I am cooking. Have asked her what movies were paying locally. Asked her how many miles it is to get somewhere.

If I wasn't working all day I would probably get a lot more use out of her as I would set up more skills and practice using them.

3. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Y'll realize these are on all the time and they save everything they hearl

mpumilia likes this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Baloney! They Do listen for their 'wake word', usually 'Alexa' then a second or so for the command of what you want. If you pause too long, you have to start over. This has been shown in court.

Jim

5. Passepartout

I just got my weekly, 'What's new with Alexa?' email. It said that Amazon is working with some Universities to humanize Artificial Intelligence. It said that it is new, and rough around the edges, but if you want to help, just ask Alexa, "Alexa, let's chat." or, "Alexa, What's a socialbot?"

Jim

mpumilia likes this.
  6. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

I love Alexa. She's my ten year old daughter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Passepartout

That would be very inconvenient if you owned an Echo, but if you wish, there is an optional wake word, 'Amazon'.

Jim

8. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

Many families of Alexa's friends have had to rename theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpumilia likes this.
  9. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Our son's name is Alex. He does not live at home as he is an adult but when he calls we answer the phone on the other room so we can say "Hello, Alex!". LOL!

10. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

No it's true. There was some kind of court case for a murder not too long ago and they tried to obtain the echo recordings.

And if you look on your smart phone during the day you will see everything you did with Alexa that day right on the phone app.

And I will tell you ours comes on sometimes without us waking it. She starts talking about things- we have no clue. In fact, happened just last night. At first we thought it had something to do with just the TV being on and it hearing something, but it has done it without the TV being on. It's weird.

11. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    DISH Tv has it integrated into their receivers now! Alexa turn to channel 105. Alexa play DVR recording of Chicago PD. Kind of a cool new feature. Not enough to get me to but one but, still cool.

mpumilia likes this.
  12. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Mary Ann ... you must have a ghost living in your house. ;)

mpumilia likes this.
  13. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

It is the strangest thing- but it happens occasionally and I can't figure out why.

BTW- The Echo is being installed in some cars now also.

14. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My favorite Alex app is Jim Rockford's answering machine. The TV Show, "The Rockford Files", always started with a recording on his answering machine. I love asking it to play a recording.

A couple of my favorites. Not sure of the actual wording but these are close

"Mr Rockford, you didn't return your sidearm when you were discharged. Please turn it into The Arsenal or we will send MP's to collect it."

"Mr Rockford, you're very delinquent in your utility account. We will be turning off your electricity in two minutes."

Cheers

15. Karen G

Karen G Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
    wackymother likes this.
  16. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

17. Passepartout

Alexa is built into Amazon Fire TV, either the 'stick' or the box, and will function the same as an Echo, except (for those with security concerns) you have to hold the microphone button, then ask 'Alexa, play whatever'. I'm not sure if Alexa in a Fire device will operate home automation products because I haven't migrated in that direction.

Jim

18. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

We have as little as possible in our house. We will never own a "smart" appliance.

19. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Currently I am playing some Elvis songs on my Echo Dot. Love this goofy little thing, and the sound is decent for such a small speaker.

20. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    That was hysterical. DW recognized some older peep we know. :D
    DW: "Andria, where did I hide our neighborhood pool key?"
    DW: "We need one of those... Can we get an AARP discount?"
    Me... "Un-huh."

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    Karen G likes this.
  21. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 18 wks: Maui Schooner, 1 wk EOY
    I love ours. I have two Dots an Echo and a tap. They are great with Prime music and I listen to Kauai KONG radio on Tunein. We set timers in the kitchen, get the weather and one of my Dots is my alarm clock. We have quite a few lights in the house that we can control with Alexa too. My house thermostat is a Sensitive and is controlled through Alexa. It's great to turn the heat back on when we're returning from our Kauai trips.

22. Passepartout

I was a pretty early adopter, ordering it as soon as it was announced, then waiting, waiting, waiting. But that said, I really just use it as an internet radio for terrestrial stations we can't get, plus some timing functions (Alexa set the timer for 40 minutes) a couple of games, (Alexa, let's play Jeopardy!), answer the odd question. (Alexa, is Myron Floren alive?), or reminisce- a friend's Facebook page has a picture of them with Carole King (Alexa, play some Carole King). We are really not power users by any stretch, but 'she' is a welcome member of the family. He says, as he's listening to Prairie Home Companion on the Fire TV with Alexa.

23. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Very funny!

Karen G likes this.
  24. isisdave

isisdave TUG Member

Alexa also lives in your Amazon Fire tablet, but you have to hold the Home button for one second to summon her.

mpumilia likes this.