• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Watch

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
So in 24 hours, just the total pre-orders exceed the entire andriod/samsung watch purchases in an entire year.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dear Diary: My Week Wearing an Apple Watch - by Farhad Manjoo/ Personal Tech/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"I picked up my Apple Watch last Wednesday at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. After interviewing some of the designers and engineers who worked on the device, I was given a guided tour of the watch, similar to what customers will receive when they buy one at an Apple Store.

The device that Apple lent me was the 42-millimeter stainless steel watch with a Milanese loop band, which sells for $699. The Apple Watch’s bands are interchangeable; I was also given an extra leather band (bright blue, $149) and a sport band made of a kind of rubbery plastic that sells for $49.

Over a week, I took notes of the highs and lows of using Apple’s new device. Here’s my diary:..."

09diary-web2-master675.jpg

The reporter trying out the Apple Watch in Times Square. Credit Michael Appleton for The New York Times

and a companion piece by the Author - Apple Watch Review: Bliss, But Only After a Steep Learning Curve
- by Farhad Manjoo/ Personal Tech/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"It took three days — three long, often confusing and frustrating days — for me to fall for the Apple Watch. But once I fell, I fell hard.

First there was a day to learn the device’s initially complex user interface. Then another to determine how it could best fit it into my life. And still one more to figure out exactly what Apple’s first major new product in five years is trying to do — and, crucially, what it isn’t.

It was only on Day 4 that I began appreciating the ways in which the elegant $650 computer on my wrist was more than just another screen..."

Richard

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Apple Watch - yay or nay? Who's getting one?

I love new tech toys and this certainly fit the bill. I am thinking of getting one for myself.

Update. I actually already ordered one but was thinking of canceling my order. I have mixed feelings. It's not going to do the fitness things I want it to do but I would probably still enjoy it and use it. So I'm undecided.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I love new tech toys and this certainly fit the bill. I am thinking of getting one for myself.

Update. I actually already ordered one but was thinking of canceling my order. I have mixed feelings. It's not going to do the fitness things I want it to do but I would probably still enjoy it and use it. So I'm undecided.

Not sure what you expect it to do, but I would certainly plan on features to expand over time. No need to buy immediately...just wait to see if apps add the features you want and then buy, etc.

Sent from my iPad

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I know that I'm already sick of the commercials I had to endure during a recent NHL playoff game.

The world is regressing, instead of independence and free thinking it seems peeps are retying the apron and other strings to stay constantly connected to others.

It's definitely not for me.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Size, etc.

Looked at them at our Apple Store while waiting for a workshop to start this week and they look so masculine to me though I know that the trend in watches is larger faced right now. Still, with my aging eyesight, I would have to have the larger of the two sizes and it seems too ungainly for my arm!

I love new gadgets but this one I'm not sure of even after playing with one a few minutes at the store and finding my heart racing a little faster at some features. I'm in the wait and see what else they come up with camp right now.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife just used the apple watch in her 10 mile race. It was surprisingly accurate - including giving heart beat metrics and average pace as she was running.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
I got it for time, fitness (steps, etc), notifications (the few I get are important), PassBook and Apple Pay. It does all of these seamlessly and accurately and it does more now and will do more in the future.

I didn't expect it to be this solid - it is a 1.0 product - so it has exceeded my expectations - no glitches or re-boots so far. PassBook and Apple Pay make checking in at the airport without having to juggle things to get to my phone or boarding pass much easier - also at stores and Starbucks.

It has replaced my old watch and my FitBit and, if I'm expecting a call, I don't have to carry my phone around the house.

It is definitely not a must have item. It saves me time in a lot of little ways during the day saving me a little friction each time. That mounts up and makes my day more pleasant, so it's a must have for me.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Click here [For New York Times Magazine Cartoon]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That got a chuckle out of me! :D

Although I have to admit that I bought an iPhone 6+ and love it.

No interest in the watch.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
...The world is regressing, instead of independence and free thinking it seems peeps are retying the apron and other strings to stay constantly connected to others.

It's definitely not for me.

I share the sentiment and will enjoy my disconnected down time.

It does look like a cool gadget for those into that kind of thing.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Fangirl

I have to admit to staying up until 1am local time (ok, REALLY have to admit that I failed at staying up, went to bed, and got back up at 1am...) on April 10th to order the watch with my husband.:eek: (Glad I did too since by the time his order was done the color I originally wanted - black - was sold out until June, but second choice was available - white - and it turns out I love the white instead.)

But as much of a fangirl that makes me sound, it's also the first time I've done the 1am hassle. :p

All that said, I got the watch for a couple reasons:
  1. To "unplug" from my phone a bit more
  2. To have easier access to info like my calendar and texts
  3. To use passbook at airports, and ApplePay at stores
  4. To play with the new connectivity options
  5. To track fitness and sleep

For items 1, 2, 3, and 4, it's doing amazing. I can get a text or alert, glance at my wrist, and if it's not urgent just look away. It thumps to alert me of my next calendar item which is awesome. I can just wave my wrist at the grocery store to pay for dinner ingredients. I can send a tap or kiss or heartbeat to my husband on his wrist which is cooler than I thought it'd be. Haha, actually just got his HR...

For item 5, it's less than I hoped for. Doesn't have nearly the flexibility of workout logging as a FitBit or Up, nor the level of detail...only 4 different workout types are available. It also doesn't track sleep, which is something I like to do.

That said, it's a Gen 1 so I expect great things from the next version based on the huge improvements in the iPhone and iPad next gens, and in the meantime expect to see a lot of software updates to increase capability along with 3rd party apps to fill the gaps.

Gen 1 is also why we only got the cheapest option available...why spend the $$$ when we'll be getting new ones in a couple years, that might work better and thus last longer? :whoopie:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Questions...

So the watch does count steps as well as measure distance like the Fitbit?

How far away from your phone can you get with the watch?

Thanks!

I got it for time, fitness (steps, etc), notifications (the few I get are important), PassBook and Apple Pay. It does all of these seamlessly and accurately and it does more now and will do more in the future.

I didn't expect it to be this solid - it is a 1.0 product - so it has exceeded my expectations - no glitches or re-boots so far. PassBook and Apple Pay make checking in at the airport without having to juggle things to get to my phone or boarding pass much easier - also at stores and Starbucks.

It has replaced my old watch and my FitBit and, if I'm expecting a call, I don't have to carry my phone around the house.

It is definitely not a must have item. It saves me time in a lot of little ways during the day saving me a little friction each time. That mounts up and makes my day more pleasant, so it's a must have for me.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to get one, for many of the same reasons, but I'm probably going to wait for version 2. I'd like to see an improved battery life and more sensors, and I have a feeling those things will come.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How Pebble's CEO Plans to Win the Smartwatch Wars - by Lindsey Kratochwill/ Technology/ Popular Science/ popsci.com

"Eric Migicovsky's not afraid of Apple.

Long before Apple dove into the smartwatch business this spring, a little company called Pebble made a big splash--and set a $10-million Kickstarter record--by debuting an intelligent timepiece that provides emails, texts, and music controls. Pebble Time, its newest iteration, ships this month and builds on the original with a color e-paper display and a built-in mic. But after Apple’s gorilla-size entry into the market, can Pebble stand its ground? Eric Migicovsky, the company’s founder and CEO, gives us his view--and advice for his new competitors..."

Richard

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
You don't have to have the phone with you on your run. It will still count your steps and distance and send the info to your phone when you get back.

The 42mm watch has a slightly bigger battery. I'm getting more than one day with it (about 30 - 40% left at bedtime) - but I charge it every night so I don't have to worry about running out of juice!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Distance from phone...also Apple Pay

I'm wondering about being out in the garden, working upstairs and around the house without iPhone to receive a reminder, phone call or text on the watch. How far away from the iPhone can one be? I can see how it would work as a exercise tracker without the phone and I am sure it varies with carrier, strength of signal, etc., but curious about the other features and distance from the phone.

Also, how prevalent are you users finding Apple Pay? I may not be paying close attention but I don't think I am aware of it at very many places. Am I just oblivious or are others experiencing this also?

Thanks!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about being out in the garden, working upstairs and around the house without iPhone to receive a reminder, phone call or text on the watch. How far away from the iPhone can one be? I can see how it would work as a exercise tracker without the phone and I am sure it varies with carrier, strength of signal, etc., but curious about the other features and distance from the phone.

I don't have one of these and I'm not planning on buying one. However, from what I understand it has to be paired via bluetooth to the phone or it can be on the same wifi network as the phone.

Bluetooth range is roughly 32 feet. Wifi will be dependent on the strength of the router. If you really want to know today, take a laptop or even your cell phone and see how far you can go until your wifi disconnects. Your question is a good one and I'm sure many others are going to wonder the same.

The biggest problem with this being an exercise tracker is the lack of a GPS. I'm sure that's coming at some point in the future since other watch brands already have this feature.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DISTANCE: I can be out doing yardwork with the phone indoors and still get calls decently on my watch, but the caveat is that our house isn't a mansion so the distance is fairly reasonable. But at work I've found that when I'm across the building from my office and depending on doors open or closed in the hallways between, the watch can also still get my messages and alerts.

STEPS: it does count them, and it also fairly accurately calculates distance even without GPS or the phone on.

PAY: ApplePay is becoming more popular, and I've found it at several grocery stores. It isn't as widespread as I'd like but is popping up in more and more places. Baby steps...

My only real complaint so far is that I have a standing desk...and it still gives me the hourly "stand for a minute or two" reminder alert. :doh:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
DISTANCE: I can be out doing yardwork with the phone indoors and still get calls decently on my watch, but the caveat is that our house isn't a mansion so the distance is fairly reasonable. But at work I've found that when I'm across the building from my office and depending on doors open or closed in the hallways between, the watch can also still get my messages and alerts.

STEPS: it does count them, and it also fairly accurately calculates distance even without GPS or the phone on.

PAY: ApplePay is becoming more popular, and I've found it at several grocery stores. It isn't as widespread as I'd like but is popping up in more and more places. Baby steps...

My only real complaint so far is that I have a standing desk...and it still gives me the hourly "stand for a minute or two" reminder alert. :doh:

Gaozhen - thanks for the update. I would assume that while doing your yard work, you're attached via wifi, and that range should work for a small yard. Actually, on the wifi - the key is how far you're away from the router and not the distance from the phone.

I do the "stand up desk" deal too. :)

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Bluetooth the only way to pair? For some reason, I was thinking it could pair via WiFi, too. That would support a much larger distance.

I have an iPhone 6+, so I can already do ApplePay. Very few places I've been support NFC payments. It'll definitely grow, though.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gaozhen - thanks for the update. I would assume that while doing your yard work, you're attached via wifi, and that range should work for a small yard. Actually, on the wifi - the key is how far you're away from the router and not the distance from the phone.

I do the "stand up desk" deal too. :)

Yes, true, wider range over wifi, didn't put 2 and 2 together! Same for work, though that's more spotty.

Let me go SQUIRREL for a sec - nice work on the standing desk! I recently got a cheapie treadmill (Amazon of course) that was then hacked apart for walking at my desk too. Thought I'd get motion sick or be unable to work, but it's awesome. PM me if you want info and I can send you pics / links / etc.

And back to the story. ;)