• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Watch

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: Apple Pay. It may be because I live in a very tech centric area of the country (Seattle) but Apple Pay is pretty prevalent most places I go around here.

Remember, EITHER of these two icons means you can use Apple Pay. Most people dont know the second icon means you can use Apple Pay.

which-stores-accept-apple-pay-always-up-date-list.w654.jpg

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Not sure what you expect it to do, but I would certainly plan on features to expand over time. No need to buy immediately...just wait to see if apps add the features you want and then buy, etc.
Yeah I'm going to wait. I canceled the order.

What I wanted most was for the watch to communicate with a heart rate monitor strap via blue tooth and collect data that would then be input to an app on my iphone. I emailed the makers of the app and I talked to people at the Apple store and it doesn't look like that's an option yet.

My wife just used the apple watch in her 10 mile race. It was surprisingly accurate - including giving heart beat metrics and average pace as she was running.
The FAQ says it's good at tracking movement when the movement is fairly regular like running, but it's not good at things like tennis or exercise classes. And it's not water proof so it can't be used for swimming :(

So the watch does count steps as well as measure distance like the Fitbit?

How far away from your phone can you get with the watch?
Yes it counts steps, when you're up and down, and it measures heart rate every 10 minutes or so. BUT the heart rate monitor is not particularly accurate, especially during exercise (it works better when you're still).

They say within 30 feet but my experience with all blue tooth devices is that you have to be within 5 feet so I doubt the watch really works up to 30 feet away from the phone.

Also, how prevalent are you users finding Apple Pay? I may not be paying close attention but I don't think I am aware of it at very many places. Am I just oblivious or are others experiencing this also?
I have it on my iphone so I keep an eye out for it. I've only seen it at two places so far and both had staff who were confused about how to use it.

Is Bluetooth the only way to pair? For some reason, I was thinking it could pair via WiFi, too. That would support a much larger distance.
It's a rumor, apparently, and not something Apple is yet disclosing. It appears that the watch can connect to wifi but it's not using wifi to connect to the phone, rather it's using wifi to connect to the internet (for Siri, etc)

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/apple-watch-limited-functions-iphone/

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have it on my iphone so I keep an eye out for it. I've only seen it at two places so far and both had staff who were confused about how to use it.

Not surprising. Most retail clerks barely understand how credit cards work. I've had several stores not know their equipment accepts Apple Pay, and in fact told me it doesn't, when it worked just fine. Of course, then there are the companies scared of losing total control of their customers like CVS and Rite Aid and are doing everything possible to delay adoption of Apple Pay until their own system is somewhat workable.

However, when I use Apple Pay I'm extremely pleased with the process. It's easy, fast, secure, and so far quite reliable. I'm looking forward to trying it with the watch!

Sent from my iPad

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that the watch can connect to wifi but it's not using wifi to connect to the phone, rather it's using wifi to connect to the internet (for Siri, etc)

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/apple-watch-limited-functions-iphone/

Your own source contradicts what you're saying here (as well as Gaozhen's personal experience in a previous post). It does connect to the phone with wifi.

From your source:
Pogue also mentions the Watch's ability to communicate with an iPhone over both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, meaning the two devices can communicate indefinitely as long as they stay under the same Wi-Fi connection even when they're out of Bluetooth range, a previously known but still notable aspect of the Watch.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say within 30 feet but my experience with all blue tooth devices is that you have to be within 5 feet so I doubt the watch really works up to 30 feet away from the phone.

My experience with bluetooth devices is that 30 feet actually is about accurate - I know for sure that it's definitely a lot more than 5 feet.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I wanted most was for the watch to communicate with a heart rate monitor strap via blue tooth and collect data that would then be input to an app on my iphone. I emailed the makers of the app and I talked to people at the Apple store and it doesn't look like that's an option yet.

One more comment... The watch has it's own heart rate monitor built into it. Why would you need it to connect with a heart rate monitor strap also? I'm sure you probably have a good reason, I'm just curious since I was interested in this feature myself.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Thanks!

I don't have one of these and I'm not planning on buying one. However, from what I understand it has to be paired via bluetooth to the phone or it can be on the same wifi network as the phone.

Bluetooth range is roughly 32 feet. Wifi will be dependent on the strength of the router. If you really want to know today, take a laptop or even your cell phone and see how far you can go until your wifi disconnects. Your question is a good one and I'm sure many others are going to wonder the same.

The biggest problem with this being an exercise tracker is the lack of a GPS. I'm sure that's coming at some point in the future since other watch brands already have this feature.

Good information! Thanks! I do know the answers now as I already take my laptop and phone using wifi, as well as a bluetooth speaker, outside and upstairs. There would be some problems there!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Distance and Apple Pay

DISTANCE: I can be out doing yardwork with the phone indoors and still get calls decently on my watch, but the caveat is that our house isn't a mansion so the distance is fairly reasonable. But at work I've found that when I'm across the building from my office and depending on doors open or closed in the hallways between, the watch can also still get my messages and alerts.

STEPS: it does count them, and it also fairly accurately calculates distance even without GPS or the phone on.

PAY: ApplePay is becoming more popular, and I've found it at several grocery stores. It isn't as widespread as I'd like but is popping up in more and more places. Baby steps...

My only real complaint so far is that I have a standing desk...and it still gives me the hourly "stand for a minute or two" reminder alert. :doh:

Well that would be annoying! :)

Glad to know I'm not just oblivious to Apple Pay. Thanks!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
One more comment... The watch has it's own heart rate monitor built into it. Why would you need it to connect with a heart rate monitor strap also? I'm sure you probably have a good reason, I'm just curious since I was interested in this feature myself.

Because the one that's built in is less accurate than a strap. From the Apple Watch FAQ:

If you’re exercising in the cold, for example, the skin perfusion in your wrist may be too low for the heart rate sensor to get a reading.
Motion is another factor that can affect the heart rate sensor. Rhythmic movements, such as running or cycling, give better results compared to irregular movements, like tennis or boxing.
Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.
If you’re not able to get a consistent reading because of any of these factors, you can connect your Apple Watch wirelessly to external heart rate monitors such as Bluetooth chest straps.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

But I want it to collect the data from a workout and then be able to transfer that data into other apps. Currently, that doesn't happen. You can gather the info and then see it in Apples fitness app but not elsewhere. I'm sure it will change soon enough though.

Edit to add: the types of workouts I do involve dancing and plyometrics mostly but also tennis and cardio kickboxing. None of those are good fits for the Apple Watch heart rate monitor.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
My experience with bluetooth devices is that 30 feet actually is about accurate - I know for sure that it's definitely a lot more than 5 feet.

I must have a lot of interference.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
11 Things I Learned During Two Weeks With an Apple Watch - by Martin Bryant/ Apple/ TheNextWeb.com

"It’s now two weeks since I took delivery of my 42mm Space Grey Apple Watch Sport and awkwardly (see point 7 below) placed it on my wrist.

I haven’t tried to do any kind of stress-test on the device here. There are reviews elsewhere online if you want to read about someone trying everything the Watch can do.

My approach was to let the Watch just fit into my life and see what happened. Here are 11 things I’ve learned from a fortnight of using it..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Pebble Time Review: The Simple But Effective Answer to Apple Watch - by Samuel Gibbs/ Smartwatches/ Technology/ The Guardian/ theguardian.com

"Pebble’s latest crowdfunding success story doesn’t try too hard, reaping the benefits of a focus on functionality, notifications and battery life.

Pebble Time is the latest smartwatch crowdfunding success story, having broken records by hitting $2m in 58 minutes and ultimately raising more than $20m. But is the watch that works with both Android and iPhone – making it a direct Apple Watch competitor – worth the hype?

This is the second time on the merry-go-round for Pebble. Its first cross-platform smartwatch, simply called the Pebble, broke Kickstarter records in 2012 and reignited the smartwatch industry.

Two models on and, after 1m units sold, the Time is a more modern smartwatch that concentrates on doing a few things very well and doesn’t try to do too much...""

37a93c39-d801-449b-9688-661af8e8b10f-620x372.jpeg

The Pebble Time smartwatch is a simple, effective and long-lasting Apple Watch competitor. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs for the Guardian

Richard

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cupertino

Not sure why, but the phrase "Cupertino Kool Aid" just somehow popped into my alleged mind... ;)

Hey, am I the only one that lives in Cupertino. Up to now it has been a great place to live. Will be interesting to see what 10,000-12,000 more Apple employees does to our growing traffic problems when there new spaceship looking building is completed.
Not getting their watch because I have no need for it. You sure need to buy lots of those watches to pay for the new building. I think I counted 9 huge cranes when I drove by the other day and that is seeing it from the freeway.
Hopefully our draught ends before the added employees arrive.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went in for a demo of the Apple Watch last week, and was pretty unimpressed, more with the relatively useless demo than the watch. You basically get to put one on and it runs an automated demo on your wrist. You don't get to play around with it at all, so I left not really knowing anything more than I knew when I went in.

Like the iPhone, I have a feeling the real power of this watch will come in third party apps.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that I wanted one. I went to the Apple Store and tried them on. Well, I have a really small wrist even the smaller size was wider than my wrist. So I'll stick with my rolex.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I ended up receiving a poor mans Apple Watch... a FitBit Charge... keeps my steps, sleeping habits, incoming phone calls just not pulse... I am happy with the fitbit.... ONLY have to charge it once a week.... Dave :hi:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
After reading the review of the Pebble Time, I definitely would pick it over the Apple Watch, if I wanted a smart watch (which I don't ):D

Cheers

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
After reading the review of the Pebble Time, I definitely would pick it over the Apple Watch, if I wanted a smart watch (which I don't ):D

Cheers

Thanks for your expert analysis and conclusion... we've been waiting for you to weigh in on this. :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only decent looking smartwatch, IMO, is the LG G Watch R. And that's what I'd buy if I were buying:

LG_G_Watch_R.jpg

Having said that, they all still strike me as a solution looking for a problem. I'll likely own one eventually, but only when they've improved dramatically and/or become so cheap that they're just another watch. For now I'll stick with my trusty Swiss Army, Seiko and Tag.

Last edited: