• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Watch

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the 1st gen, not the R. It's butt ugly, IMO. :)

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize that. I'd be looking into a watch if it had a good heart rate monitor for workouts. GPS would be a nice bonus.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize that. I'd be looking into a watch if it had a good heart rate monitor for workouts. GPS would be a nice bonus.

I'm a little skeptical of the HRM capabilities of the Apple Watch. My coworker has one, and I saw him the other day with it on. I asked him about the HRM and he said that its great, showed me how it tracks, etc. He then told me to try it on and check it out. It showed my hr at 84-86 just standing still. I then walked down the hall and back, and it was 92 during my walk. I told him that it must be wrong, and he said it couldn't be wrong. He actually had no idea what a hr should be, so he googled it. He then sat at his desk and just let it track him for a few minutes without him doing anything, not even talking. His hr was averaging 82 over the 2 minutes he sat there. Per our google search , it should have been in the 60-70 range at the most. He then went back into the history and it showed that his hr was in the high 70s while sleeping, mostly mid to high 80s during the days and around 90-100 during his commute. It all just didn't make sense.

He did read that if you have the strap just a little too tight or a little too loose, it won't track properly. When I was wearing it, I had it on the right setting for where I would want to wear the watch. If that wasn't right for the HRM to work, then its useless to me. For that feature anyway, which is a big one, but not at the top of the list.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little skeptical of the HRM capabilities of the Apple Watch. My coworker has one, and I saw him the other day with it on. I asked him about the HRM and he said that its great, showed me how it tracks, etc. He then told me to try it on and check it out. It showed my hr at 84-86 just standing still. I then walked down the hall and back, and it was 92 during my walk. I told him that it must be wrong, and he said it couldn't be wrong. He actually had no idea what a hr should be, so he googled it. He then sat at his desk and just let it track him for a few minutes without him doing anything, not even talking. His hr was averaging 82 over the 2 minutes he sat there. Per our google search , it should have been in the 60-70 range at the most. He then went back into the history and it showed that his hr was in the high 70s while sleeping, mostly mid to high 80s during the days and around 90-100 during his commute. It all just didn't make sense.

He did read that if you have the strap just a little too tight or a little too loose, it won't track properly. When I was wearing it, I had it on the right setting for where I would want to wear the watch. If that wasn't right for the HRM to work, then its useless to me. For that feature anyway, which is a big one, but not at the top of the list.

Mine is pretty accurate. When I feel my pulse the animated beating heart on the watch is in compete unison with my heartbeat.

I'm still not sure how I feel about having to charge it every night. IMO that's its biggest downfall. I've had mine for 5 days now.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Apple Says Sporadic Apple Watch Heart Rate Readings Are a Feature, Not a Bug - by Dante D'Orazio/ Apple/ Tech/ TheVerge.com

"When the Apple Watch first came out, it recorded your heart rate every ten minutes, as advertised. After an update last week, however, users noticed that the readings became more sporadic. Now, Apple is responding to complaints by saying that missed readings are by design, not a bug in the watch's software..."

Richard

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Companies with far more experience and expertise than Apple (Polar, etc) have struggled for years to get wrist worn HRMs to record with consistent accuracy. I'm not sure why anyone would think a smart watch would be any more reliable than those company's products?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Companies with far more experience and expertise than Apple (Polar, etc) have struggled for years to get wrist worn HRMs to record with consistent accuracy. I'm not sure why anyone would think a smart watch would be any more reliable than those company's products?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As I said previously, I actually think it's pretty decent. I wouldn't necessarily base medical decisions off of it, but as an exercise monitor I think it's pretty good. As I feel my pulse the animated beating heart is in really good unison with my actual pulse.

It's maintaining a decent charge. I'm on a Cub Scout camping trip this weekend and I didn't bring my watch charger (on purpose) and I think it will make it theough the weekend just fine. I'm currently at 41%. That being said, having to charge it every day or two I think will be the biggest downfall of this category of product.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also driving my parents van this weekend that doesn't have my Bluetooth set up and I've answered a few phone calls off of the watch which is pretty cool.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said previously, I actually think it's pretty decent. I wouldn't necessarily base medical decisions off of it, but as an exercise monitor I think it's pretty good. As I feel my pulse the animated beating heart is in really good unison with my actual pulse.

It's maintaining a decent charge. I'm on a Cub Scout camping trip this weekend and I didn't bring my watch charger (on purpose) and I think it will make it theough the weekend just fine. I'm currently at 41%. That being said, having to charge it every day or two I think will be the biggest downfall of this category of product.

Yeah, they can be accurate, but they're highly sensitive to positioning and skin contact -- two things that can vary greatly when exercising. Even the chest straps are sensitive to contact.

I think that anyone who buys a smart watch counting on consistently accurate HRM data is likely to be disappointed.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Testing Android Smart Watches for Travel - by Stephanie Rosenbloom/ The Getaway/ Travel/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"If you want a smartwatch to make travel easier, Apple Watch is hard to beat. But what about all those Android competitors? There are too many to list here, including models from Sony and Samsung. Still, after taking Apple Watch for a test run several weeks ago, I gave a few popular watches for Android users a whirl (one nimble contender, Pebble, is compatible with both Android and iOS devices).

Apple Watch, among the newest additions to the smartwatch market, raised the bar in terms of intuitiveness and elegant functionality. And its travel apps are perhaps the most useful to date. But of course, not everyone wants an Apple. Below, a look at three popular Android options, and the pros and cons for travelers..."

07GETAWAY-master675.jpg

Our columnist looks at several Android challengers to Apple Watch, and their pros and cons for travelers. Credit Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Apple Watch Is Not Yet a Home Run With Users, Survey Shows - by Aaron Tilley/ Forbes Staff/ Tech/ forbes.com

"There’s been no shortage of gadget reviews for Apple's AAPL -1.24% latest device. For the most part, the consensus is it’s probably the best smart watch you’re going to find on the market today, but the apps aren’t anything to rave about. To date, third-party apps have been slow and clunky.

Research firm UserTesting surveyed 52 Apple Watch users and found roughly the same thing. People like it, but for most people, the device didn’t inspire them to go out and tell all their friends to buy one: 38% of the users surveyed said they’d recommend it to their peers; 35% were passive; and 27% were detractors.

Asking open-ended questions, UserTesting found that third-party apps were the most frustrating or difficult thing about the watch at 19%. These users found third-party apps slower and less reliable than the built-in Apple apps. One user told the firm: “The Apple Watch has lots of potential, but right now it’s under baked. Performance is a major problem, the app screen is an inconvenience, and the ‘apps’ are embarrassingly useless, bar just a few.”..."

Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Richard

Attachments

• apple-watch-e1433461886231-1940x1090.jpg
    apple-watch-e1433461886231-1940x1090.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 32

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Affairs of the Wrist: The Apple Watch Comes Between Them by Farhad Manjoo and Vanessa Friedman/ Fashion & Style/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"Is the Apple Watch just for gadget geeks? Farhad Manjoo, our technology columnist, “fell hard” for the watch back in April. But our fashion director, Vanessa Friedman, didn’t feel the sparks; she went public this week with her Apple Watch breakup. The two talked — over email, of course — about their wearable-tech turn-ons and turnoffs. Farhad composed his letters on his 5K iMac, watch on wrist. Vanessa replied from her MacBook Air, her wrist newly bare..."

11applewatchconvo-master675.jpg

Earl Wilson/The New York Times

Richard

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Ive had my watch now for about 2 weeks and I must say I really love it. After reading some of the early reviews my expectations were pretty low. But now having used it for for two weeks I really think its a great product. Not for everyone but if you enjoy using new tech objects you will. My favorite feature is its ability to get text messages and phone calls. But really its how easy it is to respond. Its easier and a lot quicker than using the phone. I like its function the most when I am at work. I can be anywhere in our building and get my messages. I don't have to carry my phone with me (on same wifi network). And its a lot less obvious then someone using their phone. I am not a heavy user and my battery easily last two days before the next charge. I also like just how it feels on my wrist. Very comfortable, more than any watch I have.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive had my watch now for about 2 weeks and I must say I really love it. After reading some of the early reviews my expectations were pretty low. But now having used it for for two weeks I really think its a great product. Not for everyone but if you enjoy using new tech objects you will. My favorite feature is its ability to get text messages and phone calls. But really its how easy it is to respond. Its easier and a lot quicker than using the phone. I like its function the most when I am at work. I can be anywhere in our building and get my messages. I don't have to carry my phone with me (on same wifi network). And its a lot less obvious then someone using their phone. I am not a heavy user and my battery easily last two days before the next charge. I also like just how it feels on my wrist. Very comfortable, more than any watch I have.

Yeah, it certainly makes you feel kinda free from the smartphone if you're looking for only important notifications.

My wife is loving it on her runs since it gives her great info such as hear rate and distance. It's much more functional than her garmin watch.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
More apps (independent of the iPhone) are now being released. I think this will increase usability.

I'm still finding the best use for it, but so far I do like it. I agree with others that I'm enjoying reading (and responding via voice) text messages and it's nice to be able to quickly see who is calling rather than reaching for my phone. It is saving me time, and that's the most important benefit I've identified so far.

I don't like having to charge it every night. I've forgotten a few days to do so...though it does charge quickly for me and I haven't had to not take it with me because it was out of power. I'm going to buy one of those stands to make this easier.

Considering this is a v1 product, I think they've done quite a good job. It's not perfect, and I think it will get a lot better and more functional over time.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with the purchase, but don't love it as much as an initial iPhone or MacBook retina purchase. have to admit nothing I couldn't live without

Favorite features:
- Apple Pay on the watch when a store offers it. (similar to smart keys and not having to take out car keys from pocket to unlock car or start it)
- I have the os watch 2 beta installed. I have HomeKit integrated with my home automation system. I can now lift my wrist and say "hey Siri, turn off the family room lights. Or "hey Siri, lock my garage door"
- my watchface is linked to my favorite photos. It makes me happy to see rotating pics of my kids or a few of my favorite vacation spots (I have one of wkovrn in there)
- ability to tell add reminders anytime I have random todo items or thoughts using Siri on watch
- the Taptic reminders when you are getting directions and it is almost time to turn

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Yeah, it certainly makes you feel kinda free from the smartphone if you're looking for only important notifications.

Despite what I'm going to say below, I still DO love my Apple Watch for everything else. Notifications, alarms, messages, taps, calendar alerts, composing messages (voice-to-text is a million times better on the watch than using Siri on the phone), etc. I've actually found myself leaving the house without the actual phone by accident, since I'm so used to only needing the watch.

My wife is loving it on her runs since it gives her great info such as hear rate and distance. It's much more functional than her garmin watch.

But really? I hate it for working out - the heart rate is not taken frequently enough to get good data e.g. missing the higher rate of a run up a hill and only getting an update back on a flat, you don't get breakdowns of mile pace or elevation, you don't get max HR or time in different HR zones...

...and to add insult to injury, the limited data you DO get is hidden in the Activity app on the phone (no, you can't go into the Workout app and see ANYTHING) which requires multiple clicks to find each day's workout separately. Emphasis on separately - the data cannot be seen comprehensively nor be exported. Even simple step trackers like Fitbit and Up can show you your workouts together, and/or apps like MapMyFitness or Endomondo or Strava.

If you are in any way interested in data analysis, Apple dropped the ball on this one. Should be fixable with future updates, but in the meantime it's beyond aggravating!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
That headline is perfect. lol

Yeah, they can be accurate, but they're highly sensitive to positioning and skin contact -- two things that can vary greatly when exercising. Even the chest straps are sensitive to contact.

Yes, but chest straps are more accurate. And some brands are more accurate than others.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but chest straps are more accurate. And some brands are more accurate than others.

And that was my point -- even the accuracy of an inherently more accurate monitoring device is subject to positioning and contact.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Despite what I'm going to say below, I still DO love my Apple Watch for everything else. Notifications, alarms, messages, taps, calendar alerts, composing messages (voice-to-text is a million times better on the watch than using Siri on the phone), etc. I've actually found myself leaving the house without the actual phone by accident, since I'm so used to only needing the watch.

But really? I hate it for working out - the heart rate is not taken frequently enough to get good data e.g. missing the higher rate of a run up a hill and only getting an update back on a flat, you don't get breakdowns of mile pace or elevation, you don't get max HR or time in different HR zones...

...and to add insult to injury, the limited data you DO get is hidden in the Activity app on the phone (no, you can't go into the Workout app and see ANYTHING) which requires multiple clicks to find each day's workout separately. Emphasis on separately - the data cannot be seen comprehensively nor be exported. Even simple step trackers like Fitbit and Up can show you your workouts together, and/or apps like MapMyFitness or Endomondo or Strava.

If you are in any way interested in data analysis, Apple dropped the ball on this one. Should be fixable with future updates, but in the meantime it's beyond aggravating!

That's not the experience that my wife got. I think she did some testing wearing both her Garmin and Apple watch and found that Apple seems accurate.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Apple Watch is Far Outselling Its Competitors, According to Millions of Online Shoppers - by Julie Bort/ Tech/ BusinessInsider.com

"Apple hasn't revealed any specific numbers for the Apple Watch, such as revenue or unit sales.

The watch went on sale April 24, and Apple CEO Tim Cook, as you might expect, has been upbeat about its progress. He said in July when the company released its third-quarter earnings that in the Watch's first nine weeks, it sold better than the iPad did in its first nine weeks. So there's that.

But a new report by 1010Data, a company that anonymously tracks the purchases of millions of online shoppers, sheds a bit more light on Watch sales. And the news is good for Apple..."

apple-watch-tim-cook-17.jpg

REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
Apple CEO Tim Cook and model Christy Turlington at the Apple Watch launch event.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Major League Baseball Bans the Apple Watch? Not Quite. - by Chris Matyszczyk/ Tech Culture/ News/ cnet.com

"Technically Incorrect: The MLB reportedly told Kansas City Royals' manager Ned Yost he must not wear the Apple Watch it gave him during games. MLB now insists this isn't the case..."

Richard

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Swatch CEO takes a swipe at the Apple watch. Click here.

Obviously not a neutral observer, but interesting to see what he has to say to promote his own product over Apple's.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I Finally Ditched My Apple Watch - Here's Everything I'm Going to Miss About It - by James Cook/ Tech/ BusinessInsider.com

"After four months with the Apple Watch, I have decided to pack it up and throw it to the back of a drawer. It just wasn't working out for me (and I gave it a good go).

Here's why: the Apple Watch really stands out. And not in a good way. Wearing an Apple Watch shows that you spent at least £300 on a relatively ugly watch that flashes up text messages and measures your heart rate. There just aren't any killer apps that make me want to keep using it..."

watches.jpg

Business Insider/James Cook
Times have changed.

Richard