• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Passports now Mandatory

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the airlines are not going to accept a valid Drivers License anymore. Is this true or must we show a passport when flying domestic.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I read somewhere that the airlines are not going to accept a valid Drivers License anymore. Is this true or must we show a passport when flying domestic.
Not flying domestic, driver license still ok in the states. Only when you go outside the states. I.E. Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
If You Live In One Of These 8 States, Your Driver’s License Won’t Be Valid For Air Travel Next Year
Residents of these states will need to use an alternate form of ID when flying.

As if traveling wasn’t already complicated enough, next year residents of eight states will no longer be able to use their state-issued ID for domestic air travel.

If you’re a resident of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina or Washington, your driver’s license will no longer be valid to pass TSA-checkpoints, and you will instead have to use an alternate form of ID. This means you’ll have to bring a passport, military ID or permanent resident card next time you go to the airport, even if you’re just traveling within the United States.

This new rule won’t go into effect until January 22, 2018, which gives you plenty of time to finally renew that passport. The TSA has already begun putting up signage alerting travelers of the upcoming change in requirements.

So why exactly are these states the only ones being affected? It’s because these states don’t meet the federal government’s minimum security standards, which requires verifying every ID applicant’s identity, putting anti-counterfeit technology into the production of the card and conducting background checks on the people issuing the driver’s licenses.

The REAL ID Act of 2005 prohibits federal agencies from “accepting for certain purposes driver’s licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards,” which makes these particular state IDs invalid for travel.

Currently, 25 states plus Washington D.C. are in compliance with the rules. The remaining states have been given extensions to meet the standards.

Residents from the 8 non-compliant states that haven’t been granted extensions may be affected by the REAL ID Act even sooner than January 2018, however. As of January 30, 2017, IDs from non-compliant states will not be accepted for entry into federal facilities, nuclear power plants or military bases. IDs from states that have been granted extensions will be accepted until the extension deadline.

The following 12 states have been granted an extension through October 10, 2017. This means they have until fall 2017 to make their state ID standards compliant with the Federal agency requirements:

• Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Rhode Island
  • Texas
Five other states have been granted a “limited” extension until June 6, 2017:

• Alaska
  • California
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Virginia
If the remaining eight states begin to change their ID process, they too may be granted extensions. The Department of Homeland Security website states that “DHS is continuing to provide extensions, as warranted. Extensions are granted for a maximum of one year and may be renewed if a state demonstrates continued progress towards compliance.”

If you’ve got any travel plans on the horizon, you can go ahead and wait to see if your state will begin to change their process, but since it’s not so certain, you’re best bet is to figure out on alternative form of identification before next year rolls around.

And if you live in one of the 8 non-compliant states without an extension and you plan to visit a federal facility on or after January 30, 2017, you’ll need a federally approved form of ID, such as a passport, to enter.

Carina Wolff, Simplemost

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To add to that the state of New Mexico is implementing a two-tier driver's license program. One tier will be for legal residents, you need to provide proof when renewing, or getting a new license. These licenses will be valid for airline travel. The other tier will not be valid. It's possible that some with a non-valid license (like mine is currently) will opt not to get the new resident license if they don't need to fly, or have a passport.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to that the state of New Mexico is implementing a two-tier driver's license program. One tier will be for legal residents, you need to provide proof when renewing, or getting a new license. These licenses will be valid for airline travel. The other tier will not be valid. It's possible that some with a non-valid license (like mine is currently) will opt not to get the new resident license if they don't need to fly, or have a passport.
Nevada is doing this as well. For the changeover, we are required to personally appear at DMV for our next renewal with proof of citizenship.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Nevada is doing this as well. For the changeover, we are required to personally appear at DMV for our next renewal with proof of citizenship.
We are as well. Mine doesn't expire for a couple of years and I probably will go in and get the new license. I've heard horror stories at this point though with the MVD not knowing what is required and people having to return two and three times to get the license. I'm hoping by the time I need to do it, it will be straightened out.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Pretty sure that (at least in Canada) you need to have a valid passport to get a Nexus card. When our DS was issued his Nexus card he was told he must also have, in his possession, a valid passport when ever he uses the Nexus card as the border official can ask to see it any time.

~Diane

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Note that even if your DL doesn't qualify, that doesn't necessarily mean you need a passport. There are other forms of valid ID that are accepted, including trusted traveler program cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, etc), military ID, permanent resident card, and others. See https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.
But in order to apply for these, at least for Global Entry, you need the passport. "Send the completed Global Entry form and supporting documents to us using e-mail or fax. The supporting documents are: passport, drivers license and permanent resident card if applicable."

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
But in order to apply for these, at least for Global Entry, you need the passport. "Send the completed Global Entry form and supporting documents to us using e-mail or fax. The supporting documents are: passport, drivers license and permanent resident card if applicable."
I think the point blues was trying to make was that if you are flying a domestic flight and need an ID acceptable to TSA, you don't need a passport to do so. Some of the IDs on the acceptable list do not require a passport to apply for and some do, but that is beside the point.

Anyway, this whole thread comes up every so often ... and then the states that do not have IDs that meet the qualifications get an extension. Nothing is a guarantee, but this is extremely likely IMHO.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the point blues was trying to make was that if you are flying a domestic flight and need an ID acceptable to TSA, you don't need a passport to do so.

Exactly. Thank you, sjsharkie. The point is that many people don't want to carry their passport for domestic travel, due to concerns about it getting lost or stolen. I know I don't. So the alternative types of ID are helpful.

BTW, the web site I linked to also says that children under 18 don't need ID if traveling with adults. I had an interesting clarification to that recently. We sent our DGD13 home on a plane using Unaccompanied Minor service (Alaska Air is one of the few that will optionally provide UM service to teens if requested). I had made sure that she had her student ID, because technically she wasn't "traveling" with us -- we merely accompanied her through security and to the gates as part of the UM service. Since the policy isn't clear on the website, I figured better safe than sorry. Anyway, we were informed that she didn't need ID because we had accompanied her.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Exactly. Thank you, sjsharkie. The point is that many people don't want to carry their passport for domestic travel, due to concerns about it getting lost or stolen. I know I don't. So the alternative types of ID are helpful.
Thanks for clearing that up. The way I read it, it sounded like you were saying a passport wasn't needed at all. I carry my passport whenever I travel, both domestic or international. Being from New Mexico I'm always afraid that people won't recognize I'm a U.S. citizen with just my driver's license. ;)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I simply use my passport as airport ID all the time.

It has the advantage or not listing your home address. I figure there's no reason to make my home address readily available to strangers when those strangers will know I'm not home. So I also often use it as my primary ID when traveling, except for car rentals. I figure car rentals have a legitimate need to see my drivers license. The hotel - not really.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If your drivers license has a gold star on the front, it meets the Real ID requirements and will be accepted by TSA now and in the future. The star is usually in the upper right but my Ohio license has it in the top middle.