• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are rentals cars in Cabo really this cheap? Will there be hidden fees upon arrival?

Travel1

Reaction score
I just made a reservation for a car rental for the San Jose de Cabo airport and for a Toyota Camry it came to only $0.52 per day or $2.60 for the five days (via CarRentals.com booking an Advantage car rental). With tax it only came to $3.76...is this typical??

The price sounded too good to be true, but when I checked with several different websites (CarRentals.com, Kayak, and Advantage), they all had similar prices.

Also, because it was so cheap I added Collision Damage Coverage for $9.00/day. Do I need this? Can I get this same insurance coverage through my credit cards or insurance company?

Any thing else I should be aware of? Just very surprised by the low cost.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
my guess is that it is a pricing error. I know airlines will often honor pricing errors. But hotels and car rentals not as much.

So keep an eye out if the cancel your reservation of reprice it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If you rent a car in Mexico from outside vendors like expedia or what ever, the franchise can make you purchase all of their insurances as they are not bound by the terms and conditions of their franchised owned website. The outside vendors often have a disclaimer stating that the franchise may charge additional fees. Last year Budget goofed up pricing in Mexico for a while trying to mimic outside vendor prices on the franchise website. We rented a few compact cars for about $80 for two weeks using our Amex. Liability was included in the rate. I notice they fixed this about a month after we rented these cars.

With your outside vendor car rental (kayak, expedia, car rental.com and all others) you can expect about $42 a day for insurance when you get to the rental counter.

Bill

Travel1

Reaction score
As I figured, the price is too good to be true.

So realistically, in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, how much would one have to spend on insurance for a compact/intermediate car?

$25/day would be reasonable, but $42/per day sounds expensive.

Surprised also that they modified and charged you extra after a month had past....did your credit card company require you to pay this?

Thanks for your inputs!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, there was no extra charges on our rentals. Budget fixed their website pricing because they couldn't charge for the full insurance package because of the terms and conditions on their website.

Avis allows you to use your credit card for the LDW but they do place a hold on the credit card. I use an Amex to cover the LDW with 0 deductable. Avis includes the 3rd party liability. Avis is my first choice for many destinations but I do look at other options until about a week before travel.

You would just need to look at the websites to find the cost of additional insurance. Most of the franchises charge a deductible with their LDW.

Avis, Hertz and Budget were including the 3rd party liability insurance in the rate. This changes in Mexico occasionally so I call the rental company to find out. One year Avis decided to go back to forcing people to buy their insurance and I found out by calling.

I am looking at rental cars for 3 trips to Mexico right now. From what I see the rates are still kind of high for next winter.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We never pay all these Insurance Charges. Under Mexican Law the Car Rental Companies are required to already have/provide these coverages. However many of the Car Rental Companies will not rent to you if you do not buy these Insurance Policies. It is a huge profit generator for them. You will pay for a week of Insurance what the Company pays in a year. You do not find this out until you are at the Counter trying to pick up your car when they have you over the barrel. As others have said most of these Car Rental Companies are Independent from the main company and there is nothing the Rental Company or 3rd Party Web Service can do for you. Hertz is one of the companies that will rent you a car even when you say no to all their Insurance Offers.

Edit - Over the last 10 years we have paid as much as $200 per week. Last May we paid $45 for a week for a Compact with AT, AC, Radio, etc.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I'm glad I ditched my Expedia rental. I got one of those "amazing" prices as well but the Hertz shuttle driver made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I hopped in the waiting van. $20 a day insurance included.

It was a manual transmission Chevy Spark which is about the size of a roller skate but it worked for the two of us and our friends couldn't ask us to give them rides to and from the airport!

Travel1

Reaction score
Great inputs everyone...thanks!

Sounds like Hertz is reliable and doesn't force (or pressure) you to take the insurance if you have it via your credit card.

Budget and Avis looks like they fall into that category too (right?).

Anyone have experience with Payless, Advantage, or Thrifty? Their rates are a lot cheaper, but perhaps there is a reason for that (i.e. they require you to take all their insurance when you get to the counter).

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a car with Alamo the last time we were in Cabo. We had to take their TPL on top of their low daily rates. It ended up being cheaper than what it would have cost 4 adults for a round trip shuttle ride from SJD airport to the resort. We also had the convenience of making our Costco and grocery runs, as well as do some sightseeing, whenever we wanted.

You can waive TPL if you can show them proof of coverage in Mexico.

tpl_mexico.png

Just be careful about being scammed when refilling your tank at a Pemex station before returning your rental car. Shared my experience in this thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/tips-for-renting-cars-and-driving-in-mexico-questions-about-renting-driving

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We never pay all these Insurance Charges. Under Mexican Law the Car Rental Companies are required to already have/provide these coverages. However many of the Car Rental Companies will not rent to you if you do not buy these Insurance Policies. It is a huge profit generator for them. You will pay for a week of Insurance what the Company pays in a year. You do not find this out until you are at the Counter trying to pick up your car when they have you over the barrel. As others have said most of these Car Rental Companies are Independent from the main company and there is nothing the Rental Company or 3rd Party Web Service can do for you. Hertz is one of the companies that will rent you a car even when you say no to all their Insurance Offers.

Edit - Over the last 10 years we have paid as much as $200 per week. Last May we paid $45 for a week for a Compact with AT, AC, Radio, etc.
The problem is that the insurance that is included in the liability insurance that is included in the base price probably has very little coverage. No where near the recommended $2,000,000 pesos that you probably should have. I would always recommend to get the additional third party liability supplemental coverage. In Mexico, you are guilty until proven innocent. If in an accident, you could be held until fault is determined. Best to have all the coverage available IMO.

I also would not pick up the CDW or LDW through a travel booking website like Expedia or the like. These will be a policy that they sell you that is completely separate and not associated with the car rental company in any way. They may not recognize the policy, and if they do they will want to place a large hold on your credit card as a deposit. If you take the CDW through them, they will likely have a lower deposit requirement. Buying the CDW through Expedia and the like is no different than your credit card CDW. So there is no real benefit to buying it if you already have the coverage on your credit card. You buy CDW through the Mexican rental agency to avoid hassle.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the insurance that is included in the liability insurance that is included in the base price probably has very little coverage. No where near the recommended $2,000,000 pesos that you probably should have. I would always recommend to get the additional third party liability supplemental coverage. In Mexico, you are guilty until proven innocent. If in an accident, you could be held until fault is determined. Best to have all the coverage available IMO.

Maybe a bit picky - but it's not so much that you are guilty until proven innocent (in theory). It's that there is no presumption of innocence. Also, under the British system determinations of guilt or innocence are determined by a jury; the role of the court is largely to administer the process. Under the Napoleonic Code, the job of the court is to determine guilt or innocence, and the police serve as arms of the court in determining facts and evaluating circumstances. So the legal system operates with some assumptions that are unusual to those who have been raised under the British systems.

Moving on ....

As I understand, Mexican law requires that vehicle operators have third-party liability coverage underwritten by a insurance certified to provide such insurance in Mexico. If someone is involved in an accident, the police will request that the driver of the automobile provide proof of third-party liability coverage. Failure to produce evidence of such coverage is then sufficient basis for the police to conclude that the vehicle is being operated illegally. That will result in impounding the vehicle and detaining the driver until the driver is able to provide proof of coverage or to provide bonding sufficient to cover any damages that might have occurred.

I also understand the most automobile rental agencies in Mexico will not allow someone to remove a vehicle from their lots without proof of third party liability coverage. The couple of times that we have rented cars in Mexico we have been able to use VISA credit card insurance coverage for first- and second-party liability coverage. However, we have used the rental agency coverage for third party liability since the VISA coverage is not third-party liability.

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto to everything T_R_Oglodyte said!
I have alot of experience with renting in Cabo, and learned that there is only one company for my business and that is Catus. My experience with using Hertz, or Enterprise came down to simply bait and switch.
I want full insurance, and in Mexico Hertz etc are franchise operations and bait and switch makes more profit. I basically want full coverage and that means everything, even if a scratch is on the call when I return
it, I do not want to be told I owe $450 for this amount of damage, that it is not covered by the existing coverage, and oh yes you cannot board your plan unless you pay for this. Catus is the way to go and a mid
size call does run $250+.
Ditto to everything T_R_Oglodyte said!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I've written repeatedly on these forums, your home grown insurance coverage and cc rental car coverage aren't worth the paper they're printed on in Mexico. Being reimbursed by these companies after you return back home will not be your priority if you are involved in an MVA. Returning home will be. Further, I highly doubt they will be rushing down to the Mexican police station or jail to get you released.

Should be, enough said. Get the Mexican insurance. There are times to be tight with your money, and there are times not.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The problem with buying the full package of Mexican car rental insurance is there is usually a high deductible regarding the LWD that protects the car. There many complaints regarding people purchasing the LWD and then having their credit card charged for a ding or scratch. This applies to most of the rental car companies in Mexico. The LWD or CDW really isn't insurance, it is only the rental franchises agreement to waive some of the costs of repair or theft. The deductibles for the CDW or LWD are usually about 20% of the value of the car. The LWD or CDW doesn't usually cover the estimated loss of use of the vehicle, and because this is an estimate, it is subjective to whatever the rental agency decides.

This is why using the Amex instead of purchasing the CDW or LWD makes more sense. If something happens there is no deductible to pay and loss of use is also covered.

Regarding the small franchises in Mexico, these are small businesses that try to keep costs down. The minimum liability insurance needed to drive a car in Mexico is about $4000. I have yet to find an actual amount of liability coverage in writing with most of the small rental companies. It could be that there is no real cost to them if you get in an accident as they provided the minimum amount of liability. The rest is on the driver of the vehicle.

When you buy the full package without the limits in writing, which is what many of the small rental companies offer, what you may be purchasing is nothing but $4000 of liability insurance. With the CDW or LWD you are still subject to the costs of the repairs up to the limit of the deductible, lose of use for the repair and you are stuck until you agree to pay.

With the major franchises, like Avis for example, all of the terms and condition are in writing, fairly easy to find and you can purchase a supplemental liability that increases the Avis minimum from about $25,000 to $80,000. When you do have a problem the major franchises will help you 24/7 as will your credit card company.

The best way to rent a car in Mexico is to have everything in writing and know exactly what you purchased by being able to verify what you purchased. This doesn't happen with most of the small guy rental car companies.

http://www.avis-int.com/en/condiciones_generales.php?cpais=MX

Bill

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do not want to waive the third party liability insurance in Mexico. In case you are in an accident, my understanding is that you are in DS. We usually rent from Alamo and have had no problems other than their attempt to get us to go to a timeshare presentation. Their current rate for third party liability is $18.00 per day. I make the reservation directly with Alamo via internet. We use a credit card that covers collision damage. As others have suggested use your phone to take pictures when you are renting the car.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The amount of trouble your in when you get in an accident in Mexico is totally dependent on the circumstances of the accident just like in the USA. If your in an accident and you are obviously impaired you are taken to jail in both the USA and Mexico. If you accidentally injure someone while driving you might be taken to a holding jail in both the USA and Mexico. With these types of accidents the police are usually called no mater what country your in.

If you are in a small fender bender with a local , even if you are at fault, oddly enough, many will try to leave, as most locals with older cars do not have the mandatory liability insurance and if the police show up, the local will loose their licence plate at the very least.

Itchyfeet rents cars the way I usually do. Taking pictures of the car and even a short movie are really good ideas, imo.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
The amount of trouble your [sic] in when you get in an accident in Mexico is totally dependent on the circumstances of the accident just like in the USA. If your [sic] in an accident and you are obviously impaired you are taken to jail in both the USA and Mexico. If you accidentally injure someone while driving you might be taken to a holding jail in both the USA and Mexico. With these types of accidents the police are usually called no mater what country your [sic] in.

If you are in a small fender bender with a local , even if you are at fault, oddly enough, many will try to leave, as most locals with older cars do not have the mandatory liability insurance and if the police show up, the local will loose [sic] their licence [sic] plate at the very least.

Itchyfeet rents cars the way I usually do. Taking pictures of the car and even a short movie are really good ideas, imo.

Bill

Woops, I think you're still missing the point Bill. No, Mexican law doesn't operate the same as the law you are accustomed to in the USA.

A fundamental difference between the two legal systems is that Mexico is a so called "civil law" country while the U.S. is a "common law" country. Mexico's civil law system is derived primarily from Roman law and the Napoleonic Code and focuses more on the text of actual laws than on prior court decisions. [...] For an accused person, one of the most critical differences is that under Mexican criminal law, the accused is essentially considered guilty until proven innocent.

And in Mexico, the tourist is the foreigner. Quite different than a USA citizen being involved in a police matter in the USA.

Bill, do yourself a favor. Look this up for yourself. It's OK to be mistaken once in a while. No one is immune. But, we need to own up & correct ourselves when mistaken, I hope you'd agree.

Take a moment & read this, for starters. Perhaps you'll then agree, when you are involved in an accident in Mexico, the aftermath is much different than in the USA.

http://www.rivieraalta.com/uploads/1/9/2/2/19223371/what_to_do_in_case_of_auto_accident.pdf

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phydeaus, your link information actually verifies what I posted above. I get that the legal system is different but you seem to miss the point that Mexican law is fair regarding accidents.

Most of the locals do not buy insurance or even have a drivers license. These people do not want to deal with the police for anything, and when I say anything, I actually mean anything. Why do you think they would want to stick around to have the police mess with them ? Mexican drivers involved in accidents do not get the privilege of a tourist holding center but instead end up in regular jail, often with real criminals. Mexico like tourists so much they actually have tourist police.

I was wondering if you have been able to verify what the insurance limits are with your last rental or just thought that since you bought "full coverage" you were good, which you are, unless you need it. That is when you would likely find out, imo. When you need it. I would rather know exactly what I have before I need it and I do because the terms and conditions of my rental are available in writing.

Bill

Travel1

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of different opinions on this one and I appreciate everyone's input.

To summarize, by Mexican law, all rental companies are "supposed" to have/include third party liability insurance just to take a car off the lot. Some, if not most, require YOU to purchase the third party insurance (even though by law they, the rental companies, are required to provide the minimum insurance on their cars), so even if they have it as required by law, they won't rent it to you unless you pay for it.

So the question remains....if they DO provide the minimum third party liability insurance at "no cost" (at MEX 750,000 Pesos, approx $39K US), is that enough?, or should you always take the additional (and often times required) MEX 2,000,000 Pesos (approx $105K US) third party liability insurance?

In other words...how much third party liability insurance does one really need to be safe in Mexico? The answer is probably subjective, but perhaps the minimum is more than enough in Mexico??? or maybe it isn't. Thoughts...

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of different opinions on this one and I appreciate everyone's input.

To summarize, by Mexican law, all rental companies are "supposed" to have/include third party liability insurance just to take a car off the lot. Some, if not most, require YOU to purchase the third party insurance (even though by law they, the rental companies, are required to provide the minimum insurance on their cars), so even if they have it as required by law, they won't rent it to you unless you pay for it.

So the question remains....if they DO provide the minimum third party liability insurance at "no cost" (at MEX 750,000 Pesos, approx $39K US), is that enough?, or should you always take the additional (and often times required) MEX 2,000,000 Pesos (approx $105K US) third party liability insurance?

In other words...how much third party liability insurance does one really need to be safe in Mexico? The answer is probably subjective, but perhaps the minimum is more than enough in Mexico??? or maybe it isn't. Thoughts...

Shucks, that's simple. Just tell us all of the details of the MVA you're going to be involved in. The circumstances, the reporting policia officers, the amount of damages to both (More?) vehicles, the type and severity of injuries, if any, the location of the accident, the time of day, the road conditions......... Do you get the point?

Insurance is useless until it's needed.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, all cars are required to have a minimum amount of liability insurance regarding Mexico. Each Mexican State decides what this minimum will be. Currently the Federal minimum for Mexico is $50,000 pesos or about $2,600 USD for property damage and $100,000 pesos or about $5,400 for injury and death.

Rental car companies in Mexico offer products you can purchase that are called insurance but the reality is these products are just an agreement between the renter and rental car company. You do not actually have an insurance policy in play when you rent a car in Mexico. You have agreements that act as insurance. You either purchase these products from the rental car company or use your credit card to insure a portion of the rental car. The credit cards offer no liability protection.

Car liability insurance in Mexico regarding the major rental companies are insured to the maximum by the rental companies. The rental companies claim that they supply a basic liability insurance is somewhat of a scam to force renters to purchase a product called supplemental liability insurance. Many of the major car rental companies in Mexico have an adequate amount of basic liability included in their rate but a person need to call and verify. Some companies like Alamo force you to purchase the SLI.

The PAI ( personal accident insurance) should be considered if you didn't purchase a trip insurance with medical benefits, imo.

The product called LWD is to protect the car. The deductible is what ever the rental agreement states. Many companies were accused of scamming renters for damages and placing charges on their credit cards. Many credit cards have the LWD covered when you use their credit card for the car rental with no deductible. As other have posted, always take pictures of the car. I take a video of the entire car before I leave and when I get back.

In Mexico, if you are intoxicated , all of your insurance is void.

In Mexico if you are in an auto accident you are required to not leave the scene of the accident. Like Phydeaux posted above, the circumstances of the accident will dictate what actions you take. If the other person is a local and the damage is small they will likely leave before any police arrive, if they don't have insurance, even if they are not at fault. If it is a tourist and the damage is small you will likely both call the rental agencies. If the accident includes injury you will need to wait for the police. Mexican Law covers injury to actual costs so this kind of eliminates fake injury scams.

If there is an injury you will be required to go the District Attorneys office and post bond. The bond is set according to the seriousness of the accident. The bond is higher regarding accidental deaths. If you can't pay the bond you will be placed in a holding facility or jail. The police will gather evidence and take testimony and you will end up in criminal court court. The liability costs are very small compared to the USA as Mexican Law limits the amounts the injured can collect to actual costs for property and injury and something like 4 times the minimum age for 730 days which is under $15,000 usd.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, all cars are required to have a minimum amount of liability insurance regarding Mexico. Each Mexican State decides what this minimum will be. Currently the Federal minimum for Mexico is $50,000 pesos or about $2,600 USD for property damage and $100,000 pesos or about $5,400 for injury and death.

Rental car companies in Mexico offer products you can purchase that are called insurance but the reality is these products are just an agreement between the renter and rental car company. You do not actually have an insurance policy in play when you rent a car in Mexico. You have agreements that act as insurance. You either purchase these products from the rental car company or use your credit card to insure a portion of the rental car. The credit cards offer no liability protection.

Car liability insurance in Mexico regarding the major rental companies are insured to the maximum by the rental companies. The rental companies claim that they supply a basic liability insurance is somewhat of a scam to force renters to purchase a product called supplemental liability insurance. Many of the major car rental companies in Mexico have an adequate amount of basic liability included in their rate but a person need to call and verify. Some companies like Alamo force you to purchase the SLI.

The PAI ( personal accident insurance) should be considered if you didn't purchase a trip insurance with medical benefits, imo.

The product called LWD is to protect the car. The deductible is what ever the rental agreement states. Many companies were accused of scamming renters for damages and placing charges on their credit cards. Many credit cards have the LWD covered when you use their credit card for the car rental with no deductible. As other have posted, always take pictures of the car. I take a video of the entire car before I leave and when I get back.

In Mexico, if you are intoxicated , all of your insurance is void.

In Mexico if you are in an auto accident you are required to not leave the scene of the accident. Like Phydeaux posted above, the circumstances of the accident will dictate what actions you take. If the other person is a local and the damage is small they will likely leave before any police arrive, if they don't have insurance, even if they are not at fault. If it is a tourist and the damage is small you will likely both call the rental agencies. If the accident includes injury you will need to wait for the police. Mexican Law covers injury to actual costs so this kind of eliminates fake injury scams.

If there is an injury you will be required to go the District Attorneys office and post bond. The bond is set according to the seriousness of the accident. The bond is higher regarding accidental deaths. If you can't pay the bond you will be placed in a holding facility or jail. The police will gather evidence and take testimony and you will end up in criminal court court. The liability costs are very small compared to the USA as Mexican Law limits the amounts the injured can collect to actual costs for property and injury and something like 4 times the minimum age for 730 days which is under $15,000 usd.

Bill

Hey Bill, would you mind posting your sources for this? I'd like to read the rest.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

oldxr

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is always a better deal around but any time you rent a car in a tourist area it costs more.If you rent from a 3rd party website you can bet you will get hustled for more money for insurence when you get there.Went down last march with a party of 4 people.After adding up the cost of the airport rides to the resort the price of the rental car was a wash.I rented from Fox directly off of their website and bought all of the insurence on the same transaction online.I was not hit up for additional fees at the counter-just did the paperwork and left .It was about $220 for a week for a car that would haul 4 people + luggage.I have rented many cars in Cabo and have been hit with extra insurence fees before.I know you need the insurence but I don't like surprises.I thought that the deal with Fox was fair enough.