• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba's Ocean Club Tips & Info

kedler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We normally stay at the Surf Club but we were able to do II exchange for a family member for the Ocean Club in March.

I know all the tips, tricks & palapa hut rules at the Surf Club but not the Ocean Club. I would greatly appreciate anything information so I may pass it on to them its their 50th wedding anniversary.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
We normally stay at the Surf Club but we were able to do II exchange for a family member for the Ocean Club in March.

I know all the tips, tricks & palapa hut rules at the Surf Club but not the Ocean Club. I would greatly appreciate anything information so I may pass it on to them its their 50th wedding anniversary.

Thanks in advance,

Karen
IMG_1314.JPG

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
If you want a free palapa, get up very early to get in line. Here until Sunday.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you want a free palapa, get up very early to get in line. Here until Sunday.
Wouldn't they only be free for owners?. According to the image posted above, there is a $10 fee for first come first serve starting at 7:00am. Owners get a $10 discount which would make it free. Non owners would have to pay the $10.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whilst generally appreciating the idea of MVC resorts offering discounts to Owners, I do wonder if offering discounts only to "Home" weeks Owners could be an unwelcome precedent.
Could we then find that all MVC resorts start charging for more and more facilities / services whilst offering only "Home" weeks Owners some level of discount?
This is certainly not something I would like to see happening.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Whilst generally appreciating the idea of MVC resorts offering discounts to Owners, I do wonder if offering discounts only to "Home" weeks Owners could be an unwelcome precedent.
Could we then find that all MVC resorts start charging for more and more facilities / services whilst offering only "Home" weeks Owners some level of discount?
This is certainly not something I would like to see happening.
I would agree. I don't like different fees for owners vs non owners. I am traing my usage with the other owners usage. I should get exactly what they get when staying at their home resort. Another reason I won't go back to Beach Place Towers.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Hmmm... there's a flip side to that. At most resorts in Aruba palapas are at a premium, and many places charge for them. Giving preference to owners would make it easier for owners to reserve them and, after all, it's the owners who pay the MF's for the upkeep. Perhaps ownership should convey some added privileges.
I do understand what you said wrt trading, but I recently traded my Aruba unit for Maui. f I wanted a palapa on the beach (they don't have them but have cabanas instead) I had to pay for it. There are other destinations where I have to pay for an umbrella, and some places even for a lounge on hte beach, even though I'm trading my resort which will provide them free of charge to the person who exchanges in.
The Surf Club doesn't have the same rules, but I kinda like conveying a small advantage to ownership.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... there's a flip side to that. At most resorts in Aruba palapas are at a premium, and many places charge for them. Giving preference to owners would make it easier for owners to reserve them and, after all, it's the owners who pay the MF's for the upkeep. Perhaps ownership should convey some added privileges.
I do understand what you said wrt trading, but I recently traded my Aruba unit for Maui. f I wanted a palapa on the beach (they don't have them but have cabanas instead) I had to pay for it. There are other destinations where I have to pay for an umbrella, and some places even for a lounge on hte beach, even though I'm trading my resort which will provide them free of charge to the person who exchanges in.
The Surf Club doesn't have the same rules, but I kinda like conveying a small advantage to ownership.
I am not sure which other MVC resorts charge for facilities but offer concessions for home resort owners.
I only really know of the palapas in Aruba, the parking in Beachplace Towers and parking in some Hawaii resorts - does anyone have a full list?
An example of why I find this practice concerning is that at one of our home resorts St Kitts the palapas or gazebos or whatever you call them are free for everyone and although I am sure nowhere near as much in demand as the ones in Aruba sometimes difficult to get.
Perhaps I should propose similarly that as we pay the huge MFs in St Kitts for the upkeep there, we should receive home resort privileges of free use there whilst all exchangers should pay a fee.
I won't propose this by the way, as I don't believe it is right, but I really don't see why this should be any different to Aruba.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think the Hawaii properties offer a discount or provide free cabanas to owners though. If they do, someone correct me and I don't agree with that either. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Hawaii properties offer free parking to owners, and exchangers. BPT does not. Custom House charges owners for parking, though they may get a discount. Oceana Palms offers free beach loungers to owners and exchange guests. My point is, exchangers should be getting the same treatment as owners. Exchangers shouldn't be subsidizing the MFs for owners. We have our own MFs to pay so you can enjoy our resorts.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Hawaii properties offer a discount or provide free cabanas to owners though. If they do, someone correct me and I don't agree with that either. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Hawaii properties offer free parking to owners, and exchangers. BPT does not. Custom House charges owners for parking, though they may get a discount. Oceana Palms offers free beach loungers to owners and exchange guests. My point is, exchangers should be getting the same treatment as owners. Exchangers shouldn't be subsidizing the MFs for owners. We have our own MFs to pay so you can enjoy our resorts.
Absolutely, I am in total agreement.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
No way should the Ocean Club or any other resort in Aruba charge any fee to reserve a palapa. This subject is discussed at length in other boards. The beaches in Aruba are all public and therefore all structures built on beaches become public to everyone. It matters not that maintenance fees help build and maintain said structures. I own several timeshares in Aruba and spend 4 weeks yearly at various resorts including the Marriott properties. I have no idea how they get away with charging a reserve fee when anyone (non-Marriott guests, locals, cruise ship guests) can just place a towel under a palapa and claim it. The only thing the resort owns are the lounge chairs. Three years ago, while vacationing at the Ocean Club I refused to pay the $10 fee citing the law as I knew it. I requested a meeting with management and after a back-and-forth was given a week-long no-fee reservation along with their apology. The palapa rule in Aruba island wide is first come, first served. I have no idea how they keep getting away with it.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of now the "palapa" law in Aruba is on hold. When we were there weeks 50 and 51 I was told by the manager of the OC that the politician who was pushing the law is no longer in power. Therefore the group working on the new law has been gone back to the drawing board.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As of now the "palapa" law in Aruba is on hold. When we were there weeks 50 and 51 I was told by the manager of the OC that the politician who was pushing the law is no longer in power. Therefore the group working on the new law has been gone back to the drawing board.
The judge ruled on the palapa law and it has been in effect a few years already. When I had my conversation with the Ocean Club manager and I asked him how they could possibly charge for something that is public, he admitted to me that, yes, although the law had passed it wasn't being "enforced". However, he would be happy to offer a complementary palapa for my week's stay.

I know this to be true because, as stated earlier, I own multiple timeshares in Aruba and this topic is discussed weekly at our owner's meetings by management. There are people who would happily pay a reserve fee for the luxury of sleeping late and thus, the question arises frequently . The answer is always the same, can't charge for something the government deems public and therefore is free.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own multiple weeks at the Ocean Club and I meet privately with management annually. This is what I was told. What palapa row did you get?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am reading this correctly, by default all owners/guests are charged for use of Palapas, but if (as an Owner or not?) you highlight to the Resort management team that charging contravenes Aruba law then you are not charged.
Can this really be true?
If so, it is not only unfair, it should be totally unacceptable.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ilene, everyone at the Ocean Club is charged $10/daily for any palapa (extra $$ for 1st and 2nd row). Ocean Club Owners are reimbursed at time of checkout. The Surf club, on the other hand, does not charge a fee unless the first two rows are pre-reserved. I might be wrong about that as I really don't care where I sit and do not want to pay extra money. I usually stay at the Surf Club but did get the Ocean Club as an II exchange 3 years ago and that was the short version of my experience as described. I also own at the Playa Linda, the Divi Phoenix and LaCabana in Aruba and what every resort management and owners say contradicts what Ocean Club management is saying to you.

My guess would be that they hope it remains somewhat of a secret and they can keep the $$ coming in.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The palapas at the OC are only $10 for the same day reservations they are more to pre reserve them. I asked you about the row because the 5th and 6th rows can be reserved for a week at a time for a minimal amount. I was wondering if that's what Erwin gave you. If I remember correctly you were bad mouthing the OC on the internet about your daughter had been treated and other issues. Giving you a palapa may have been a way to appease you.

Bazzap-- you read it incorrectly. Top mom does not own at the OC. If you get a palapa on a day to day basis the charge is $10/day. Owners have a discount card that credits that amount back. If you prereseve one where the charge is more owners get a $10 discount.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ilene, my situation happened on the first day of my arrival at the OC and I don't even know Erwin. I was referred to the activity manager and he was the one who rectified the situation. Second, I did not bad mouth the OC on the Internet, I merely wrote a post on TUG and it was directed at the concierge staff for their unprofessional treatment of my daughter 3or4 days into our vacation. The concierge desk is staffed by DePalm and not Marriott.

This has nothing to do with palapa location. Everyone pays the $10 daily fee. We have already established that OC owners get the fee credited back upon checkout. The point of the thread is whether the Ocean Club should lawfully be charging any fee at all since the beach and structures are public. You seem to be resistant to the notion that they might be doing something unethical. These are the facts as I know them, take it as you will.

Bazzap, you are reading my post correctly. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can walk up and down any beach and claim any palapa (unoccupied, of course). They are not entitled to chairs as those are the property of the resort. Some resorts post signs and hire security guards to deter non guests from using palapas, they might even try to intimidate and shoo you away and most people not knowing the law might obey.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
This has nothing to do with palapa location. Everyone pays the $10 daily fee. We have already established that OC owners get the fee credited back upon checkout. The point of the thread is whether the Ocean Club should lawfully be charging any fee at all since the beach and structures are public. You seem to be resistant to the notion that they might be doing something unethical. These are the facts as I know them, take it as you will.
Seems to me the OC is technically charging people for the "reservation", and the convenience of having them hang your "reservation" tag on the nail and set up your chairs, etc early in the morning so they are ready for you when you show up later in the day. You are saying that if you actually got there first... say you laid down your towel under the palapa like 4am and just stayed there, they could not kick you out. That might technically be true, but not likely to be challenged too much... and because of that, the "reservation" system continues, and seems to work, and likely is not unlawful.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The judge ruled on the palapa law and it has been in effect a few years already. When I had my conversation with the Ocean Club manager and I asked him how they could possibly charge for something that is public, he admitted to me that, yes, although the law had passed it wasn't being "enforced". However, he would be happy to offer a complementary palapa for my week's stay.

I know this to be true because, as stated earlier, I own multiple timeshares in Aruba and this topic is discussed weekly at our owner's meetings by management. There are people who would happily pay a reserve fee for the luxury of sleeping late and thus, the question arises frequently . The answer is always the same, can't charge for something the government deems public and therefore is free.

You stated above that you spoke to the OC manager. If you did then you spoke to Erwin as he is the manager.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems to me the OC is technically charging people for the "reservation", and the convenience of having them hang your "reservation" tag on the nail and set up your chairs, etc early in the morning so they are ready for you when you show up later in the day. You are saying that if you actually got there first... say you laid down your towel under the palapa like 4am and just stayed there, they could not kick you out. That might technically be true, but not likely to be challenged too much... and because of that, the "reservation" system continues, and seems to work, and likely is not unlawful.
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying and exactly what I said to the manager. Not too many people would challenge "the rule" or a security guard. Plus, you must remember, not too many people are aware of the law. They assume that because our MF paid for the construction of the palapas we therefore own them.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You stated above that you spoke to the OC manager. If you did then you spoke to Erwin as he is the manager.
Ilene, I did not speak to Erwin. I am reluctant to disclose the name of the person I spoke to because he did the right thing and I have no desire to cause him any problems. I will tell you, thought, that the chain of command went from the reservation hut to the front desk to the activity desk, to a manager. He met me by the eatery next to the hut, we sat and we had a nice long talk. It was very civilized. I told him I was a long time Aruba visitor and multi timeshare owner and was well aware of the law and in no way shape or form I was going to pay $10 a day for a palapa that was essentially free by law for anyone to use. He replied that, yes, although it was the law, it wasn't exactly enforced. That mattered little to me..... law is law. I told him I'd find an unoccupied palapa and sit there and he'd have to call the police to get me out when the people that paid for the reservation showed up because I wasn't about to budge. He walked over to the hut and wrote out a reservation card and handed it to me with his apology. I thanked him but expressed concern about the following days as we are strictly beach people. He assured me that he would instruct the girls at the reservation hut that I wasn't to be charged. We shook hands and we were on our way to our palapa, ticket in hand. Ten minutes later, as we were settling in under our palapa, we saw him walking towards us. He offered his apology again and handed me 6 more reservation cards, one for each remaining day of the week. They were not first or second row, but as I said before, I don't really care where I sit. I only wanted shade and I don't think I should pay for it. As an aside, if you ask the beach staff, they will confidentially confirm this to be true. Anyway, I didn't really want to bore everyone with such a long story and was just giving you the short version earlier.