• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back to planning trip to Seattle and Hope, Id

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
No one mentioned Deception Pass State Park when you cross over from Whidbey Island on the north end. I think a stop to check out the bridge would be worth it.

Actually, it is specifically mentioned in reply #5, 6, and 17. :)

Dave

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave & Steve to take a trip to the San Juans. My DD is living on Orcas currently and loves it. I actually prefer Orcas over San Juan Island (Friday harbor) but you would need a car. Mt constitution is worth a drive....the views are spectacular. Rosario resort is really nice if you want to spend a night on the island. Eastsound, the main town on Orcas is on the other side of the island from the ferry.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I agree with Dave & Steve to take a trip to the San Juans. My DD is living on Orcas currently and loves it. I actually prefer Orcas over San Juan Island (Friday harbor) but you would need a car. Mt constitution is worth a drive....the views are spectacular. Rosario resort is really nice if you want to spend a night on the island. Eastsound, the main town on Orcas is on the other side of the island from the ferry.

Orcas was where I lived for nine years right after I got out of the Navy. I agree, it's a beautiful place with some great scenery. But since OP only has a short time, I was trying to give her a bit of NW beauty without a lot of cost or hassle. The walk-on trip to FH seemed more reasonable - lower price, no reservations required, no car needed, and so forth. Orcas deserves more than a cursory viewing. :)

Dave

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Orcas. Walk on is fine. You will be able to get a cab at the ferry landing that will take you anywhere on the island. I think there is much more to see on Orcas and DO. One thing is definite, the view of the islands is absolutely awesome from Mt. Constitution. If you need help with locating cab service, let me know and I can provide a phone number for at least one cab service.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am back to my planning! So, we will be leaving downtown Seattle on probably Monday, June 26. We have to go to the airport to rent a car after we check out. Since we are not the earliest people in the morning, it will probably be around 11-12 noon that we get the car. Then we will drive up to the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton. This is where I am stumped. Will we have to wait a long time to get onto the ferry at this time in the afternoon? That will determine how long we stay on Whidbey Island. I'm thinking we will need 2 nights so we can spend time in Anacortes. What do you think? Get to Whidbey Island 2-3 PM, make our way to Anacortes. Spend the night, then spend the day in Anacortes, spend another night and leave the next day for Winthrop or Twisp.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am back to my planning! So, we will be leaving downtown Seattle on probably Monday, June 26. We have to go to the airport to rent a car after we check out. Since we are not the earliest people in the morning, it will probably be around 11-12 noon that we get the car. Then we will drive up to the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton. This is where I am stumped. Will we have to wait a long time to get onto the ferry at this time in the afternoon? That will determine how long we stay on Whidbey Island. I'm thinking we will need 2 nights so we can spend time in Anacortes. What do you think? Get to Whidbey Island 2-3 PM, make our way to Anacortes. Spend the night, then spend the day in Anacortes, spend another night and leave the next day for Winthrop or Twisp.

Mid-day, the ferry wait shouldn't be that long, especially on a Monday. The ferry departs every thirty minutes. Once on Whidbey, if you don't stop, you can be in Anacortes in about 45 minutes. So depending on when and where you stop, your leisurely arrival in Anacortes could be late afternoon to early evening. Since you're doing this in late June, you're at the time of year when we have the longest days. It won't be dark till around 9PM, so you'll have lots of time to explore your way up Whidbey. Staying two nights in Anacortes makes a lot of sense, so you'll have time to work your way through the shops and such in Anacortes that next day. No sense rushing things, so departing Anacortes the third morning makes the most sense. Figure it's about three hours driving time from Anacortes to Winthrop, plus stops along the way. So you'll arrive in Winthrop/Twisp area by dinner time. Perfect time to arrive there, without feeling like you rushed to get there. I think your plans are good. :thumbup:

Dave

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mid-day, the ferry wait shouldn't be that long, especially on a Monday. The ferry departs every thirty minutes. Once on Whidbey, if you don't stop, you can be in Anacortes in about 45 minutes. So depending on when and where you stop, your leisurely arrival in Anacortes could be late afternoon to early evening. Since you're doing this in late June, you're at the time of year when we have the longest days. It won't be dark till around 9PM, so you'll have lots of time to explore your way up Whidbey. Staying two nights in Anacortes makes a lot of sense, so you'll have time to work your way through the shops and such in Anacortes that next day. No sense rushing things, so departing Anacortes the third morning makes the most sense. Figure it's about three hours driving time from Anacortes to Winthrop, plus stops along the way. So you'll arrive in Winthrop/Twisp area by dinner time. Perfect time to arrive there, without feeling like you rushed to get there. I think your plans are good. :thumbup:

Dave
Thanks so much Dave!

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Anacortes and agree that the only reason to stay here is for a side trip to the San Juan Islands. Friday harbor trip is getting off the boat right in the town (small) and visiting shops and restaurants.

Orcas trip is doable without car. I know a cab service that will take you on a tour on Orcas. The tour is made up of what you want to do. If you don't know what you want to do, the driver will suggest some options. The cab is a van. If you want the phone number for this guy (he's licensed by State) to ask questions I will gladly provide to you.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Hi Ann-Marie,

Not sure why you think you have to go from Downtown Seattle to Sea-Tac to rent a car. You can rent a car in the downtown area and save yourself a lot of travel time.

I think it's possible to make reservations for your ferry trips and would highly recommend doing so. From the late 70's to the late 80's I lived in Seattle. My son lives in Seattle (Kenmore) and this past July I returned to Seattle for his wedding. Traffic is much more congested than when I lived there. I think Dave has been a bit overly generous in estimating travel times for you. So build in some leeway for your travel times.

Richard

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Ann-Marie,

Not sure why you think you have to go from Downtown Seattle to Sea-Tac to rent a car. You can rent a car in the downtown area and save yourself a lot of travel time.

I think it's possible to make reservations for your ferry trips and would highly recommend doing so. From the late 70's to the late 80's I lived in Seattle. My son lives in Seattle (Kenmore) and this past July I returned to Seattle for his wedding. Traffic is much more congested than when I lived there. I think Dave has been a bit overly generous in estimating travel times for you. So build in some leeway for your travel times.

Richard

I as thinking of renting from the airport because we will return to Spokane airport. I can look into the prices. Thanks for the suggestion.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will definitely want to reserve a spot on the ferry if you are driving to the San Juans. Here is a link to the web site with the ferry schedule and also where you can make reservations.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Also, there are no chains in the Twisp area but I did see a lot of small quaint resorts that you can stay.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You will definitely want to reserve a spot on the ferry if you are driving to the San Juans. Here is a link to the web site with the ferry schedule and also where you can make reservations.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Also, there are no chains in the Twisp area but I did see a lot of small quaint resorts that you can stay.
Thank you.