• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bargain Deals Forum - this bothers me

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG has a Bargain Deals forum, so that Tuggers can re-home their unwanted timeshares, instead of having to pay an upfront fee company, or worse, use a Viking Ship Co., or go into foreclosure.

So frankly, it bothers me when someone posts an offer of a free timeshare, and someone else comes along and posts, "I would never take this week."

I am all for posting honest and transparent information, so if incorrect Info. is posted, feel free to help by providing the correct info.

But IMNSHO, it is wrong to denigrate someone else's free offer, just because it's not your cup of tea.

Look at it this way - if someone is trying to do the right thing, why do you want to undermine their efforts?

:hi:

I 100% agree with u. Not a nice thing to do. To someone else it could be just what would work for them.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This [posting "smoking deals"] isn't happening though. If anything it's the opposite. The definition is really "free or near free". It is definitely not "smoking deal". There are hundreds of listings that are not "smoking deals" by any definition (but might be a fair deal for owner usage) while on the flip side you could post a premium unit for $1,000 that could easily be sold for double with a normal listing and it would probably be removed.

The forum was originally started to sell anything (not just timeshares) that is a "smoking deal". It evolved into a giveaway timeshare forum.

By the very definition of the posting rules almost all of the listings are in violation of the posting rules. There is a fair deal for a free timeshare but that by no means makes it a "smoking deal".

I love the forum and not saying it should be re-purposed but the posting rules should probably be updated.

I agree 100% with Saintsfanfl here. I don't think the posting rules actually match how the Bargain Deals operate. Many of the timeshares posted there aren't good deals even if they are free. And, it's not clear whether good deals that cost considerably more than $1 are allowed.

I'm OK with either use of the Bargain Deals forums, or both uses. I'm just not sure what is considered OK there. I have a couple of timeshares I'm willing to sell for what I think is a very good price, but definitely not free. I'm not sure if I should post them on the Bargain Deals forum or if that will anger TUG members.

A few months ago there was a Bargain Deal post with a number of mandatory Starwood weeks. They all had a purchase price well north of closing costs and buyer was responsible for closing costs as well as repaying current year fees. I did consider them and ran the numbers. They weren't a smoking deal for me, but they may have been for someone using them as an add on to existing Starwood ownership. Should these weeks have been advertised in the Bargain Deals for free, or should they have actually have been posted to the Marketplace?
I remember that thread! And, several people said the timeshares offered were not such great deals. And, I bought one of the timeshares from that thread anyway! :whoopie:

This is a pretty long thread for something that doesn't seem to be an overly big problem.
Agreed! I think this thread is going on so long because TUG members truly disagree here. I think continuing the discussion is fine, as long as people keep things polite.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many negative waves all around...

From "Kelly's Heros" (1970) --

Oddball (Donald Sutherland): Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Moriarty (Gavin MacLeod): Crap!

Oddball: Always with the negative waves, Moriarty. Always with the negative waves.

Woof woof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't it really up to the buyer to determine if something is a deal? In the end, there is no impact on anyone else except the buyer and the seller. Of course, we can't have a free for all in the Bargain Deals because then we would see all kinds of weeks advertised there when most should belong in the marketplace. I like the Bargain Deals in its current form because I find the odd offer there something that I could consider. I have yet to still actually buy something from Bargain Deals and I am not sure that I would ever consider a $1 timeshare ever. Not because there would be anything inherantly wrong with them, it is just that I am targeting a specific ownership (Starwood), the forum under its current structure sees a Starwood offer every once in a while. Any change could end that.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If nobody believes it is a bargain, why not just let the thread fall behind in the pages due to inactivity? In the event that somebody finds it to be a bargain, they will reply or PM the owner. By reporting the thread and having it removed, TUG members that may find it to be a bargain for them will not be able to pursue it.

You are right, that's the way it will work. I was addressing the questions regarding the forum rules and how they should work. The rules say your ad could get deleted, I'm just exploring how the rules could be enforced, but as you point out, do they really need to be enforced?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm OK with either use of the Bargain Deals forums, or both uses. I'm just not sure what is considered OK there. I have a couple of timeshares I'm willing to sell for what I think is a very good price, but definitely not free. I'm not sure if I should post them on the Bargain Deals forum or if that will anger TUG members.

I posted one for $500 and had no PMs or messages in the ad that it does not belong in that forum.

I put the price on it because I think it's a bargain at that price. Since I still have the unit I know that the peeps here don't think it is a good bargain, even for free.

There is a definite prejudice on TUG against certain areas and no matter the details, people tend to shy away.

I had to start putting prices on my Craig's List and eBay Classified ads because of all the questions about "how can this be free." I now add in the transfer fees and current years use as the price for the unit rather than saying it's extra.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You are right, that's the way it will work. I was addressing the questions regarding the forum rules and how they should work. The rules say your ad could get deleted, I'm just exploring how the rules could be enforced, but as you point out, do they really need to be enforced?

I think they want to avoid people posting ads for free in the Bargain Deals that really belong in the paid marketplace. Bargain Deals should have some type of cutoff price, or it could become just another marketplace.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they want to avoid people posting ads for free in the Bargain Deals that really belong in the paid marketplace. Bargain Deals should have some type of cutoff price, or it could become just another marketplace.

The problem with an arbitrary cap is that it cannot account for the endless situations that exist.

There does not appear to be a flood of "overpriced" deals that would be better left to the Marketplace so a price cap seems like a solution looking for a problem IMO.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put a thread on the Bargain Board with two non-free timeshares, and it looks like my thread was removed. It was removed within 24-36 hours. I did not receive any PMs (from moderators or from regular Tuggers) about the thread. As far as I know, there had been no replies to my thread.

Oh well. I thought it was a good deal. :shrug:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put a thread on the Bargain Board with two non-free timeshares, and it looks like my thread was removed. It was removed within 24-36 hours. I did not receive any PMs (from moderators or from regular Tuggers) about the thread. As far as I know, there had been no replies to my thread.

I would think the mod that removed it would have left a note or at least notified you of removing it. When mine was changed, rightfully so, the mod did not identify her/himself, just changed it and told me why.

If the community is supposed to decide if it belongs or not and the community alerted the mods to what they thought was an improper ad it should have been made public so others understand what is and what is not allowed.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

FWIW, I saw the ad and thought it was a good deal considering they were fixed summer weeks in desirable location. This thread seems to have brought on some heavy handed moderation in Bargain Deals.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the thread was reported, the ad was asking for 1000 bucks or so for a timeshare...items like that belong in the marketplace.

sorry you didnt get a notification message, that certainly should have happened explaining when/why it was removed.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fine that the thread was removed, but I think we could use some clarification as to what can go on the Bargain Board. Maybe a specified upper limit on the price?

I don't want to give details on the timeshares I posted, because that would be advertising. But in general, there are some timeshares for which $1000 is a very good price.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I should add that I recently bought a timeshare off the Bargain Board for $600, plus about $150 in closing fees.

The timeshares I offered included closing fees, with me paying the resort's transfer fee of $100.

So, after factoring closing costs, the ones I offered on the Bargain Board were quite close in price to the one I bought off the Bargain Board. This was a main reason why I thought my thread would be OK.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow...it appears that some people are easily ruffled and way too caught up in having rules.

Seriously, it's pretty simple. Some timeshares are a bargain for free, some are a bargain for $$. Are those that are arguing so out of touch with the market that they don't know the difference? Or is it just complaining? There are far better places to direct energy in life than getting riled up about what is a bargain timeshare.

Perhaps a redirect of focus on using and enjoying your own timeshares would help.

Signed,
Love the SVV I paid a bargain price for in the Bargain Forum

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score

For what it is worth, I did think they were pretty good deals (I paid a bit more for my similar unit and the seller was very slow in transfering).

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
to avoid further confusion, we have changed the posted rules.

if you are asking for money for your timeshare in and above the closing costs...please post the ad in the marketplace.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread took a weird turn from Denise's OP about snarky comments over bargain posts. With only FREE timeshares allowed in this forum from now on, I suspect we'll have more people telling sellers to pay all closing costs and future MF's, and the "helpful" negative comments will go on...

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Zat Retroactive ?

if you are asking for money for your timeshare in and above the closing costs...please post the ad in the marketplace.
Do I have to erase my bargain posting from last week asking $250 ?

Or am I grandfathered in because that was before the recent rule clarification ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow...it appears that some people are easily ruffled and way too caught up in having rules.

Seriously, it's pretty simple. Some timeshares are a bargain for free, some are a bargain for $$. Are those that are arguing so out of touch with the market that they don't know the difference? Or is it just complaining? There are far better places to direct energy in life than getting riled up about what is a bargain timeshare.

Perhaps a redirect of focus on using and enjoying your own timeshares would help.

Signed,
Love the SVV I paid a bargain price for in the Bargain Forum

The problem is, who determines a deal? Not everyone knows about all the different resorts and programs. We can't expect the moderators to know if a week is a deal at $1000 or not. Best to have something set in stone and I agree with the new rule that Brian has put in place. Makes things cut and dry. The forum should really be there for people wanting to give away their weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do I have to erase my bargain posting from last week asking $250 ?

Or am I grandfathered in because that was before the recent rule clarification ?

Or you could just post a reply to your ad indicating you are willing to forego the $250 and will give it away for free.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Sometimes El Cheapo Is Nearly As Good As El Freebo.

Or you could just post a reply to your ad indicating you are willing to forego the $250 and will give it away for free.
If it comes to that, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, because it's such a good points value, what's wrong with trying to get a little something for it ?

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

...and that's what this thread got us to. Speaking only as a bystander and not as if I were Brian, I would simply have left well enough alone and let sleeping dogs lie.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If it comes to that, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, because it's such a good points value, what's wrong with trying to get a little something for it ?

I don't have an issue with anyone getting what they can for something they own. I think the issue is who is determining if it is a bargain. It could be a bargain, but perhaps it is not. If it is left up to the buyer and seller to determine a bargain at any price, then it is probably best in the marketplace. If someone is giving something away, that is easy to determine. I was thinking more about the moderation of such forum. Though it really doesn't matter to me since I don't have to moderate any of it.